Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bvlgari Black no longer in production

I received an email from customer service that the Bvlgari classic is no longer being made.
    This was always a wonderful fragrance.
    Smoke rubber and tea. There seems to be plenty of stock available but in a year or two it probably won't be easy to find. Not an easy fragrance to wear and it is quite unisex but I appreciate it now more than in the past for being ahead of it's time. Don't remember rubber being used before in a fragrance...and the bottle is special.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bvlgari Black no longer in production

Thanks. I'm not surprised. Thankfully, I'm stocked up.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

It disappeared from loads of places some years back, I remember at the time many thought it had been discontinued. But it had very limited availability and not even sold in some countries.
    DONNA

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Appreciate the update on its future production.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I’m more surprised it hasn’t been discontinued even earlier. Still have a bottle from 2009. As distinctive as it is I seldom reach for it.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

I don't care. The best from them is man in black.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

I still see it available in some department stores..
    I thought it was in limited production or something.
    Guess it wasn't selling well anymore.
    Back in the day it was a big seller not an easy fragrance.
    Read somewhere it's Angelina Jolie's favourite fragrance.

I only just took this for a test drive. I didn't find it overly impressive but I need to wear it in optimal weather conditions to get a proper handle on it.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

This is one of my bottles that I've either lost track of or lost when I moved.
    I still gave it a bit of play. Now to work out whether to pick up a bottle or assume that I haven't actually lost my previous bottle and it will turn up in my belongings in one hemisphere or the other...
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I only just took this for a test drive. I didn't find it overly impressive but I need to wear it in optimal weather conditions to get a proper handle on it.
    The stuff that's been in production for the past few years, and probably since at least 2011 is damned unimpressive which is why the price has dwindled down to the 30s and even 20s online.The original fragrance though had a real smoky, almost woody edge to it from the lapsong tea. That barely registers in the latest version, and instead a fairly non-descript powdery fragrance with just the barest hint of rubber emerges.

Original Bulgari Black by Annick Menardo is one of the few fragrances that I'd consider a modern masterpiece. It's just so weirdly compelling, and introduced as completely unisex when that was a somewhat novel concept.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The stuff that's been in production for the past few years, and probably since at least 2011 is damned unimpressive which is why the price has dwindled down to the 30s and even 20s online.The original fragrance though had a real smoky, almost woody edge to it from the lapsong tea. That barely registers in the latest version, and instead a fairly non-descript powdery fragrance with just the barest hint of rubber emerges.

Original Bulgari Black by Annick Menardo is one of the few fragrances that I'd consider a modern masterpiece. It's just so weirdly compelling, and introduced as completely unisex when that was a somewhat novel concept.
    You make the original version sound great.

The current version struck me as just another warm, fuzzy vanilla thing with a mild quasi-rubber thing in there somewhere that wasn't punchy enough to give it a distinct personality.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    The best from them is man in black.
    I like that to.

haven't seen the black puck bottle for years in UK stores

Basenotes Plus

You make the original version sound great.

The current version struck me as just another warm, fuzzy vanilla thing with a mild quasi-rubber thing in there somewhere that wasn't punchy enough to give it a distinct personality.
    It is in my opinion, and many others have said that before me.

The current stuff is insulting, and I got rid of a purchased bottle from online immediately.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    I don't care. The best from them is man in black.
    If so, an indication of just how far Bulgari's men's fragrances have fallen in recent years.
    Most worn:

I used a bottle of the original version and I agree with Scarce that it was weirdly compelling. More recent versions have been disappointing, unsurprisingly (Bvlgari fragrances in general are not what they used to be, the l.v.m.h effect I guess).
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

If so, an indication of just how far Bulgari's men's fragrances have fallen in recent years.
    I can't get along with Man in Black, which looks like it should work on paper, but is weirdly incoherent in execution.

I do like Black Orient. Not a masterpiece, but it has a clear sense of vision and there are no gaps in its construction; it's an elegant, well-behaved boozy leather scent with a rose-and-faux-oud backdrop. It brings a bit of Middle Eastern niche stylings into the designer space (and does so more successfully, I'd say, than releases like TF Noir Extreme).

Current Favorites

Basenotes Member

True, I purchased a new version and it just didn't smell right to me. I remember it being a deeper vanilla with a smokier tea facet. The one I have is rubbery with a cheap musk and very little detectable vanilla

I very much like Eau Parfumee Au Thé Noir, it's probably my favourite of all Bvlgari black/noir fragrances that I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    I very much like Eau Parfumee Au Thé Noir, it's probably my favourite of all Bvlgari black/noir fragrances that I have tried.
    This one wasn't on my radar, but it sounds really nice.

I see that it got a big thumbs-up from Turin/Sanchez.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Plus

I'd been looking at this one for a while now. The prices online are appealing for what would be a blind buy. Considering the Intense version.
    Most worn:

It's a total mood fragrance for me, detached and dark, yet comfortable like a fuzzy sweater and ethereal. It makes me think of film noir, play of light and shadows, 40's glamour, smoke, pipes and cigarettes. It's very uplifting at the same time, I can't really explain it.

I'd been looking at this one for a while now. The prices online are appealing for what would be a blind buy. Considering the Intense version.
    It's a total mood fragrance for me, detached and dark, yet comfortable like a fuzzy sweater and ethereal. It makes me think of film noir, play of light and shadows, 40's glamour, smoke, pipes and cigarettes. It's very uplifting at the same time, I can't really explain it.

Yes, the price for this is very good, and it sounds very unique. I'm trying to keep from blind-buying full bottles of stuff, but if I have the opportunity to sample it in the future, I won't pass it up.

Current Favorites

A very apt description. There was something otherworldly about Black - almost like a fragrance from another universe.

I bought it upon first smell during its debut at Saks. Lover at first sniff and boy, did I get a lot of compliments.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

This explains everything. Thanks!

I was going to check this out and forgot. Appreciate the reminder!

Intense version! Now I'm really interested!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just checked my backup bottles. 2010. They were that first big "disco dump" from stores, a few years after production, when store and regional disco rumors struck.

Yes, the SA at Saks called it unisex - the first I'd heard that word when referring to perfumes. I remember it had no development which added to its appeal rather than the opposite.

Missing Oakmoss

People used to draw favorable comparisons between the original Bvlgari Black and Knize Ten - I've only smelled the current Black, which by all accounts has been eviscerated.

The word that came to mind when I first smelled Black was provocative. A handsome vampire could wear Black.

The reason why I posted this is because I opened a brand new bottle last night, 2014 batch. It smells perfectly decent to me wish it lasted a bit longer that's all.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    The reason why I posted this is because I opened a brand new bottle last night, 2014 batch. It smells perfectly decent to me wish it lasted a bit longer that's all.
    Is 2014 the most recent batch?