Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help a very ancient member re. Amouage :)

Hey All,

I was a rather active member back in the days, from 2007 to 2012 or so.

I began my perfum quest in or around 2006, aged 25, and bought a lot, too much actually for what I was able to actually wear, during the next 6-7 years, until 2012.

Since then I finally started actually wearing my 100 or so fragrances, 95% of which were niche fragrances, and rebought, occasionnaly, some of my holy graals. Which included Epic, Carnal Flower (although I will always miss the 2007-2010 version which is really not the same since then), Aventus Essenzia Assoluta, LLDM or Black Aoud. Occasionnaly too I would suddenly buy a new fragrance but this was like one every two years or so.

Anyway, enough of an introduction. One of my very favourite house was Amouage, and my wife had the delicious idea of offering me Bracken three days ago, which completely revived my fragrance trip.

I have the following Amouage, ranked by order of preference.

1. Epic
    2. Dia
    3. Lyric
    4. Reflection
    5. Jubilation XXV

Bracken is very high in my list, probably tie on second place with Dia.

So I did not know any post 2013 Amouage, besides the very first ones, Honour and Memoir, which I had sampled back then but did not really care for. I had samples, nice coincidence, of both of them again in the bag with Bracken, and I like them less than my current Amouage, but just had a sniff of one spray on the wirst of each, so obviously have to revisit better soon.

Anyway, I am dying to try the new Amouage now, as I said I have a shopping spree given this new acquisition which took me by (pleasant) surprise, and I am actually considering a blind buy given the love I have for the house and the great reviews I keep reading on here since yesterday. It also has been YEARS that I did not blind buy.

Would you please help me decide, given my tastes above, which one it should be ?

I am between :

Beach Hut (which currently has my preference)
    Interlude (for the hype)
    Journey
    Myths.

Those are based for 35% on the reviews and for 65% on the notes pyramid.

Would love some advice / ideas.

Also, feels good to be back
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Default Re: Help a very ancient member re. Amouage :)

I really like Journey. I feel like it's underappreciated, and it's not too difficult to wear.

Interlude is definitely good, but it's not always the easiest to wear.

I'd try getting some decants if possible.

Amouage and blind buying don't seem to go in the same sentence...

Anyway, for me the standout was Interlude, for the sheer power. Woody-herbal punch.

I enjoyed the others as well but not as much to buy them. I just tried the recent Portrayal and am quite intrigued, violet and leather is a good combination. But it's quite hot here so probably not the best time to properly test a leather perfume.

On the feminine shelf, Fate woman is on my to buy list (this is a big clovey oriental, not miles away from Opium woman, but more refined).

cacoi

I can't really weigh in on the specifics here, but, as a general rule, I'd say that you shouldn't chase the hype and should instead trust your gut about what you're most likely to enjoy.

Also: *sample*. Should be easy enough to find decants.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Welcome back Roc_Xel! Some of the old guard is still around.

Cannot really help you with your question. I mainly like the old ones. Vintage versions of Dia Man and Gold Man are truly outstanding. There aren't that many released during the last six years, I guess you just need to try them all.

Interlude and Beach Hut are nice. In terms of fragrances that are roughly post-2013, I think Opus V (2012 release) is worth looking at if you like incense.

Interlude is brilliant. Yes, it is polarizing, some hate it. But I love it. I tested around a dozen incense-centric fragrances and this was my second favorite only to Sahara Noir. I love Sahara Noir, but Interlude is actually more complex and multi-layered.

You don't have it on your list, but for summer, I also quite enjoy Sunshine Man. Some react to it as being like an orange creamcicle...but I find it bright and refreshing in the heat.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Vesper by Santa Eulalia

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Interlude from your choices.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome back to Basenotes!

Of modern Amouage, I personally only think one is worthy. Interlude Man. I criticize it a lot here, because it is so close to being a masterpiece. The oregano note keeps it from being very enjoyable for me, but my wife loves it on me, and if recent batches cut down on that note, then that would be the one to go for without doubt IMO.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Gotta go with Interlude (which I have and love)....

Or Journey, which I’ve been wanting to get!

You should get Ciel Man.

User of Toilet Water

Based on your top five, I would think Journey with its spicy tobacco would most suit you. But if you don't like Honour you may not go for Journey either as they are both peppery (though not at all the same.)

Beach Hut is super green with nuclear strength and I love it, but different from your favorites.

Interlude and Myths are the most challenging and miles away from your favorites.

My favorites: Bracken Man, Ciel Man, Dia Man, Honour Man and Jubilation XXV
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

I blind bought Beach Hut man (I'm actually wearing it now) and oh my, what a beautiful blind buy. Interlude is my best ever from Amouage though but I can't wear it because something in it triggers my allergy.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Thank you so much to all of you. I see this place has not changed, when you ask for help or advice you actually get help or advice, which has become , somehow, rather rare today elsewhere

Greetings to the old guard too !!

So it did help me, as I have now decided I will go for BOTH Interlude and Beach hut.

Also, I fully agree about the risk of buying blind, but the excitation and hype when the bottles of a house you love but unkown juice arrive is wonderful, and I did not do it for years and years. If one of them is not my thing, I'll just give it to a friend who has a taste for fragrances.

I will now also take the 12 samples to try those some of you mentioned, Journey, Sunshine, or Ciel.

Will order today and give a feed-back when they're mine.

Many thanks for the wonderful advices.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post

So it did help me, as I have now decided I will go for BOTH Interlude and Beach hut.
    Good choice. These two are among my favourite cold weather and warm weather scents respectively.

Enjoy them and the expectation of receiving and unboxing. I'm actually experiencing some proxy excitement!

big fan of Amouage, here....keep your radar on Imitation man!
    You can't go wrong with Interlude!

Blog Entries

You’ll love Interlude Man if you are into smokey fragrances with a slight tinge of sweetness. Nice fragrance. Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Of modern Amouage, I personally only think one is worthy. Interlude Man. I criticize it a lot here, because it is so close to being a masterpiece. The oregano note keeps it from being very enjoyable for me, but my wife loves it on me, and if recent batches cut down on that note, then that would be the one to go for without doubt IMO.
    Yes, while I like Interlude, it's that oregano that really pushes it for me and that I think could really turn off some people. Without that, it'd probably be a safer blind buy.

Try Opus II for a classy and wearable everyday fougere

Been hunting for a Interlude man vintage for a long time now.. And no one is selling it... Lol.. No luck as I have the rest of the amouage vintage line up except interlude .... All I see is a bunch of fake "testers" on ebay.... Why so many interlude testers? Hmmm lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Thank you so much to all of you. I see this place has not changed, when you ask for help or advice you actually get help or advice, which has become , somehow, rather rare today elsewhere

Greetings to the old guard too !!

Also, I fully agree about the risk of buying blind, but the excitation and hype when the bottles of a house you love but unkown juice arrive is wonderful, and I did not do it for years and years. If one of them is not my thing, I'll just give it to a friend who has a taste for fragrances.

I will now also take the 12 samples to try those some of you mentioned, Journey, Sunshine, or Ciel.

Will order today and give a feed-back when they're mine.

Many thanks for the wonderful advices.
    I completely understand the thrill of the blind buys, so I wish you luck and excited for you! Everybody does sampling and blind buying in different amounts and fashions and if it’s within people’s means, I’m all for it.....I think you’ll really like Interlude!

I have Epic and Jubilation from those that are not discontinued.

I did almost get Beach Hut Man but didn't get along well with the ivy note. I am currently trying Bracken Man and I am quite impressed with it. Strong patchouli note in the base and lots of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg in the top and heart. Nuclear strength as well. I am tempted by it but need to sample it properly first.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyv166 View Post
    Been hunting for a Interlude man vintage for a long time now.. And no one is selling it... Lol.. No luck as I have the rest of the amouage vintage line up except interlude .... All I see is a bunch of fake "testers" on ebay.... Why so many interlude testers? Hmmm lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I really think again some perspective is needed on this vintage/"reform" Interlude issue. There MAY be some question of longevity with earlier vs later batches BUT one would need to stay awake for longer than 18-24 hours to check that. And nobody needs that sort of longevity unless the person is childishly obsessed with "beast-mode" just for the sake of it.

I own a vintage decant; a 2015 bottle; and a 2018 bottle. I got into my head that my 2015 was better/stronger than my 2018 bottle - but when I went back and tried my 2015 again the other day it was no better, and in fact seemed weaker!
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Beach Hut considering your taste in lighter fragrances and the weather in Florida.

Am I the only one who finds Interlude much less challenging than Jubilation XXV? My wife and I both find the latter kinda piercing and aggressive in a way that we don't find is true of the former.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Am I the only one who finds Interlude much less challenging than Jubilation XXV? My wife and I both find the latter kinda piercing and aggressive in a way that we don't find is true of the former.
    I can see both of them being challenging to some, as I find them both complex and potent............but AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I like both but Interlude much more than Jub 25. I find Interlude much more complex and multi-faceted.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Vesper by Santa Eulalia

I'm asking because I find Interlude a much calmer, better-behaved scent than Jubilation XXV. There's more going on in Interlude, but it strikes me as smoother. Jubilation XXV always hits me like a punch in the nose.

My experience seems at odds with the experience of others.

Current Favorites

From your list, Interlude and Myths. Do also check out the new Portrayal. If you like Dia, you will probably also like Portrayal.