Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Boadicea The Victorious

Gents I'm exploring this house for the first time and I'm impressed. Please let me know your favorite from the house, so far Blue Sapphire was on the top of my list but changed my mind due to it's similarity with an Aramis product. I'm very impress with Imperial and waiting for samples of Seductive and Glorious.
    Currently wearing: Gold I by AJ Arabia

Default Re: Boadicea The Victorious

The only one I have tried so far is Mayfair. It's very animalic and rich. I'm impressed - though don't currently feel the need to get a FB. My 10ml decant should last me a while!

I really really want to try Green Sapphire.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

I have only tried 5 or 6 so far from the house. I own Azrak, which is currently my favorite. Blue Sapphire is also very good.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

For me, they remind me very much of Roja Dove, i.e. good quality, fine fragrances but somehow, not very original and derivative.

There are also just too many of them.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I've tried quite a few from this house. Found Blue Sapphire to be among the more pleasant.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I bought Complex, which is a monster leather. Dry, chemical, strong. Unwearable but fun to smell. More recent reviews don't give that impression, which suggests that perhaps it has been reformulated.

I remember smelling a couple others in the line and finding them ok but not bottle worthy for me. But I have not smelled recent ones.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Two that stand out in my mind are Lavish & Mayfair. Mayfair is like Dior Leather Oud. Lavish is a nice citrusy vetiver type of frag.

I have multiple other samples at home and still need to sniff more. Blue Sapphire was pretty good, but maybe wasn't quite a love for me - and look at that price, lol, nooope.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

I've tried quite a few from BdV. They are really well made and creatively conceived. Some are over priced but it is rare to find fragrances of this quality. Blue Sapphire is a very nice fragrance - pretty color. M favorites are: Kings Road, Oxford, Imperial, Mayfair, Midnight - I know there are many others that are good, just don't get exposure to them very often. This is a very large range of perfumes and it is one where you need to sample them often to understand the nuances and differences of the various fragrances. It is hard for me to find retailers with a large enough display to sample them. I usually try one or two new ones when I am in London, both Harrods and Selfridges have large displays - different selections, lots of variety. My spouse is from England and we get to go back often - wish they had a well stocked outlet in the U.S.
    Top Bottles: • costa azzurra acqua • black leather j-scent • unum Io non ho mani • terre d'hermes parfum • andree putman l'original • tonic blanc • xerjoff nio • no.9 bukhoor elixir • kosmala no. 4 apres l'amour • 19-69 capri • mandarino di amalfi acqua

Basenotes Plus

Thank you all for your responses. Will sample the mentioned ones

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I've tried quite a few from BdV. They are really well made and creatively conceived. Some are over priced but it is rare to find fragrances of this quality. Blue Sapphire is a very nice fragrance - pretty color. M favorites are: Kings Road, Oxford, Imperial, Mayfair, Midnight - I know there are many others that are good, just don't get exposure to them very often. This is a very large range of perfumes and it is one where you need to sample them often to understand the nuances and differences of the various fragrances. It is hard for me to find retailers with a large enough display to sample them. I usually try one or two new ones when I am in London, both Harrods and Selfridges have large displays - different selections, lots of variety. My spouse is from England and we get to go back often - wish they had a well stocked outlet in the U.S.
    I often wonder who the hell is buying them? lol

Must be a narrow market, to say at the least.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

I think I've only tried Explorer. It was far too "chemical" and if that quality was removed I doubt it would be better than a scent like vintage Z-14 (it wouldn't be to me). Perhaps this is the "ugly duckling" of their releases, but if it isn't, I would say their fragrances are definitely not for me.

Blue sapphire is a monster. What Aramis fragrance do you think it’s similar to?

I agree they've made too many. It's a mess - their house is the equivalent of a writers' group in need of a good, ruthless editor or two. It's ok to leave things in the lab! You don't have to publish everything! But perhaps it would be better to kind of cleave off the exclusive/limited edition scents from the more available ones. Should you have to? No, probably not. But their shtick seems to be exclusivity so, for peace of mind, I just never entertained most of their scents due to scarcity and novelty.

That said, I like Iceni. It's the one that appeals to my tastes the most. One of the more reasonable to buy as well - £165 for 100ml. Might buy a bottle, not sure. Only have a tiny sample so would like to sample it again.

Incidentally, I love the branding behind it - Celtic-British, wonderful knot design (hand-made and individually wrought, I believe - which is pointless and adds to the cost, but is part of the style over substance). Interesting that they had their 'break' by gifting FLOTUS Obama one of their scents back in 2008.

The pricing is ridiculous. The comparison to Roja Dove is definitely applicable here. Fantastic artisan approach to perfumery - devastated by deliberately maintaining their exclusivity through pricing. So be it, but, ultimately, fuck 'em. It's a bit like when the Irish put on the 'Oirish' act for American tourists - Guinness, singing, "the craic". Boadicea seems to sell a kind of caricature of Britain to wealthy tourists who think they're buying class. Maybe they are, I haven't sample any of their really expensive scents. Just feels like an ugly approach using a pastiche of cultural heritage. Ah well...

Hi all,

I've only "sampled" a few from B the V. I have to disagree (sort of) with Cacio. I loved "Complex" and (for ol' SixCats!)

I'd wear "Complex" anywhere I wanted to wear it ! I do however agree with Cacio that (I suspect) MOST people would find

"Complex" not wearable for most situations. Hey! Somebody has got to be the Rebel! Also, I found "Mayfair" to be OUTSTANDING!

SixCats!

Basenotes Plus

Valiant is a stunner, beautiful stuff, only one that's jumped out at me as needing a bottle but with the price point, I've held off.
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

Dependent

This house is still on my test list.

Hi,
    I have a large BTV collection.
    My top 15:
    Blue Sapphire
    Almas (or Torc)
    Nemer
    Angelic
    Tiangou
    Moccus
    Ethereal
    King of the World
    Energizer (best citrus)
    Grace
    Midnight
    Vetiver Imperiale
    Hyde Park
    Mayfair
    Back to Paradise

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by reegle View Post
    Hi,
    My top 15:
    Blue Sapphire
    Almas (or Torc)
    Nemer
    Angelic
    Tiangou
    Moccus
    Ethereal
    King of the World
    Energizer (best citrus)
    Grace
    Midnight
    Vetiver Imperiale
    Hyde Park
    Mayfair
    Back to Paradise
    Wow that's impressive, I ordered a bunch of samples and will comment as I test them

Quote Originally Posted by reegle View Post
    Hi,
    My top 15:
    Blue Sapphire
    Almas (or Torc)
    Nemer
    Angelic
    Tiangou
    Moccus
    Ethereal
    King of the World
    Energizer (best citrus)
    Grace
    Midnight
    Vetiver Imperiale
    Hyde Park
    Mayfair
    Back to Paradise
    Whoo, what a capital expense!

wearing dad's aftershave™

I quite fell for Hyde Park when I sampled the line at N-M

It's been a while, but I'm a sucker for any well executed citrus.

This one apparently has some oud, which I don't recall specificall, but that was before I became accustomed to picking out oud-like notes.

Also, looking at the size of the line it seems way over-sized. I fail to see how much care could go into each composition.

Plus, the now expected ridiculous pricing.

Pretty bottles, though!

Basenotes Plus

Does anybody has experience with Green Sapphire , I can't get a sample and looks very promising

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas.com View Post
    Does anybody has experience with Green Sapphire , I can't get a sample and looks very promising
    I may have a sample of Green Sapphire, I'll check and pm you

Overall I was really excited to try this house and honestly it was a massive let down. I've sampled 12-14ish and the only one I liked was Torc but it didnt last at all

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DEdestroyer77 View Post
    I may have a sample of Green Sapphire, I'll check and pm you

Overall I was really excited to try this house and honestly it was a massive let down. I've sampled 12-14ish and the only one I liked was Torc but it didnt last at all
    Thank you, appreciate it