Code of Conduct

Default Avon Leather "All-Purpose Lotion"

Like its MEM English Leather uncle, Avon's Leather also carried an "All-Purpose Lotion" as part of its Leather line-up, in addition to Cologne and Aftershave.

Having both the aftershave and now the APL, there's definitely a difference. The aftershave is smoother and sweeter, while the APL is darker, with a deeper leather backbone. I have to think this is closer to what the cologne is like, but I won't know until I track down a bottle.

I'm assuming the existence of the English Leather version influenced Avon to release their own All-Purpose Lotion, otherwise I can't imagine they'd have gone through the trouble.

image1 (8).jpg

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Avon Leather "All-Purpose Lotion"

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Like its MEM English Leather uncle, Avon's Leather also carried an "All-Purpose Lotion" as part of its Leather line-up, in addition to Cologne and Aftershave.

Having both the aftershave and now the APL, there's definitely a difference. The aftershave is smoother and sweeter, while the APL is darker, with a deeper leather backbone. I have to think this is closer to what the cologne is like, but I won't know until I track down a bottle.

I'm assuming the existence of the English Leather version influenced Avon to release their own All-Purpose Lotion, otherwise I can't imagine they'd have gone through the trouble.

image1 (8).jpg
    Can you see ingredients? The English Leather All-Purpose Lotion was really just cologne with no added ingredients branded as "lotion" so super-conservative heteronormative guys of the mid 20th century who believed "fragrance was for girls" and wouldn't use anything cosmetic without a purpose would try the damn stuff hahaha.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Can you see ingredients? The English Leather All-Purpose Lotion was really just cologne with no added ingredients branded as "lotion" so super-conservative heteronormative guys of the mid 20th century who believed "fragrance was for girls" and wouldn't use anything cosmetic without a purpose would try the damn stuff hahaha.
    That's awesome.. I guess they knew their market! No there's no ingredients on the bottle I have. I did consult "the book" and they were selling the APL in the boots alongside the cologne and aftershave starting in 1965. Interestingly, the catalog also listed a 3oz "spray" leather cologne in a smaller boot but I've never seen one for sale.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    That's awesome.. I guess they knew their market! No there's no ingredients on the bottle I have. I did consult "the book" and they were selling the APL in the boots alongside the cologne and aftershave starting in 1965. Interestingly, the catalog also listed a 3oz "spray" leather cologne in a smaller boot but I've never seen one for sale.
    It's possible the APL was lower alcohol than the cologne but same volume of perfume oil, but glycerin and propylene glycol is definitely in the AS, which also seems to have the inadvertent effect of preserving the top notes better than in the cologne, which feels darker because you get to that leather note faster rather than travelling through the composition. Cologne still has better longevity and sillage but the Aftershave of Avon Leather is still stronger than many modern designer EdTs.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed