Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rive Gauche La Collection (the square bottle) Discontinued???

I can find all the other La Collection square bottles on YSL’s website but not Rive Gauche. Did it get discontinued? Did I miss something?

Default Re: Rive Gauche La Collection (the square bottle) Discontinued???

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggy View Post
    I can find all the other La Collection square bottles on YSL’s website but not Rive Gauche. Did it get discontinued? Did I miss something?
    See here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...che?highlight=

tldr: Rive Gauche appears to have been pulled from the US market but is still available elsewhere (for now).
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Thanks...never saw that thread. I chatted with a YSL rep while I was looking for it (after creating this thread), and she confirmed it was discontinued too! That sucks. It was already overpriced at $125 but I paid it because it’s my favorite.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thanks...never saw that thread. I chatted with a YSL rep while I was looking for it (after creating this thread), and she confirmed it was discontinued too! That sucks. It was already overpriced at $125 but I paid it because it’s my favorite.
    You can get it at Incenza and it happens to be on sale at this time: https://www.incenza.com/6-parfums/17...-toilette.html
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks...It says quantity (one) is greater than what they have in stock, so they may be out permanently too. Do they ship to the U.S.? I’ve never heard of them. Reputable?

There are a couple bottles on Amazon right now, one of them is like $115. I got my bottle from there but not from either of those sellers.

Blog Entries

Square bottle Rive Gauche is not worth having anyway, the shaving cream vibe and aniseed note are gone. Either get the tin can or step up to the steeply priced Beau de Jour.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thanks...It says quantity (one) is greater than what they have in stock, so they may be out permanently too. Do they ship to the U.S.? I’ve never heard of them. Reputable?
    Yes they ship to the US and are reputable. I have ordered from them many times. Just checked and when you put it in your basket it says currently out of stock. Sorry about that.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Only in the US
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Square bottle Rive Gauche is not worth having anyway, the shaving cream vibe and aniseed note are gone. Either get the tin can or step up to the steeply priced Beau de Jour.
    Tin can may be more expensive than Beau de Jour actually. In any event I enjoy the square bottle.

User of Toilet Water

StrawberryNet has it in stock, but not the cheapest place. BTW, they also have Dior Homme Parfum and Fahrenheit Parfum at the moment.
    Currently wearing: Mitzah by Christian Dior

Dependent

Not true, I consider it worth it, I enjoy mine a lot as one of my top fougeres.
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Is there any difference between the square bottle with the black label over the face and the one without?

Yeah, I really like the square bottle. Having never had the tin can, I guess my ignorance is bliss. I was perfectly happy with it. It was clean and performed really well on me.

User of Toilet Water

As good as the tin can version is, I don't think it's worth the price it often goes for these days.

While I haven't tried the glass bottles, in my experience, the "vintage is sooooo much better than current" mantra is largely BS.
    Currently wearing: Mitzah by Christian Dior

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    As good as the tin can version is, I don't think it's worth the price it often goes for these days.

While I haven't tried the glass bottles, in my experience, the "vintage is sooooo much better than current" mantra is largely BS.
    I've only experienced this being true with a very specific number of vintages where animalics, real sandalwood, or oakmoss were removed/reduced in quantity enough to make a noticeable impact. Otherwise, you're perfectly correct.

Yeah there was a thread about this recently and the general feeling was that it is being discontinued in the US only, but not in other territories. I reckon this is wrong, and it's gone everywhere. Already gone from most sites, including YSL UK. Last I looked YSL France had one bottle left - same with a few other sites. I also backordered it with a reliable German retailer who have come back to me today saying it's no longer being manufactured. Looks like the end of the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    Yeah there was a thread about this recently and the general feeling was that it is being discontinued in the US only, but not in other territories. I reckon this is wrong, and it's gone everywhere. Already gone from most sites, including YSL UK. Last I looked YSL France had one bottle left - same with a few other sites. I also backordered it with a reliable German retailer who have come back to me today saying it's no longer being manufactured. Looks like the end of the road!
    Oof!

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Oof is right, what on earth are they thinking?

They should not have discontinued it.If they are so concerned with being trendy or modern,they could have changed the bottle again or something.I am not tempted to even sample their new cologne Y or whatever it is called.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    They should not have discontinued it.If they are so concerned with being trendy or modern,they could have changed the bottle again or something.I am not tempted to even sample their new cologne Y or whatever it is called.
    I suspect it just wasn't selling...

Many classic fragrances could be players in the market if they got a little love. But nobody trying to make their name in an industry like this wants to safeguard somebody else's baby. They want to make their own.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Many classic fragrances could be players in the market if they got a little love. But nobody trying to make their name in an industry like this wants to safeguard somebody else's baby. They want to make their own.
    I would bet a lot of classic fragrances would be big sellers again if they promoted them a little.For instance if they advertised Rive Gauche or any good classic even a small fraction of how much they advertise Sauvage,they would probably do very well.Probably outsell most of the newer stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    I would bet a lot of classic fragrances would be big sellers again if they promoted them a little.For instance if they advertised Rive Gauche or any good classic even a small fraction of how much they advertise Sauvage,they would probably do very well.Probably outsell most of the newer stuff
    Well, you have to understand that companies are just groups of people answering to shareholders. I doubt most of the people who work at YSL are particularly concerned with the brand's heritage; they're concerned with job security (i.e. making themselves look essential by appearing to ensure the company's current profitability) and with building their own resume.

Current Favorites

Bot the square bottle and the tin can available in dubai for relatively cheap. If anyone wants one picked up for them and posted to them id be happy to

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Square bottle Rive Gauche is not worth having anyway, the shaving cream vibe and aniseed note are gone.
    Sorry, have to completely disagree with that.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

YSL went downhill as a brand long ago. Just look at what new scents they've come out with recently... "Y" is the only one I can think of and it's only good as a room spray.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    RIP Rive Gauche Pour Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    "Y" is the only one I can think of and it's only good as a room spray.
    ...and that’s being kind!

Some of their L’Homme line is ok but overall it feels like their heyday is behind them. Would love to smell something new, inspired and worthwhile from YSL once more.

Killing off Rive Gauche Pour Homme for what seems like a few more pennies on the $ from a new release just captures the ‘profit up whatever the cost’ zeitgeist. Product innovation seems lacking with so many of the behemoths.

But then there’s hope with the ‘little guy’ like Rogue Perfumery and others cleaning up and putting out noseworthy parfums so there is a silver lining sometimes.

Three cheers for the little guy

So it's still available on yslbeauty.ca (the canadian website) and as others mentioned, it might only be discontinued in USA. This is a bit concerning though, so I might pick up an emergency bottle just in case