Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance That Turned You Stalker

Hey everyone!

So I had an odd experience today. I was in a public library, and I kept smelling this amazing scent somewhere. I just had to know what it was, so obviously, I started trailing it around the building like some sort of bloodhound. Luckily, the woman wearing it walked right past me while I was doing this, and because I already looked ridiculous enough I figured, might as well ask. Turns out she was wearing Clinique Aromatics Elixir which is one I had been hearing/reading very interesting things about, and well, now I just have to have it.

So anyway, my question was: what are some fragrances that intrigued you so much you just had to do something similar (stalk the scent and try to find out what it was, I guess)?

Default Re: Fragrance That Turned You Stalker

Fell into totally-out-of-character ‘stalker mode’ for these 2:

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Rush by Gucci
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Can't say I ever "stalked" someone to find out what he or she was wearing. Guess I was just never that interested in finding out.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I'm still mad about a missed opportunity like this.

I was in downtown SF, near Maiden Lane (a rather exclusive little section that houses boutiques like LV and Hermes, etc.), and I was rushing along in a crowd of walkers when an extremely well dressed female passed by, smelling unbelievably, indescribably classy and intoxicating. My head swiveled like a cartoon character's as she passed me, but I was meeting someone and had to just keep on walking.

I mentally kick myself even now. I should have tracked her down and bribed her to tell me what her fragrance was. I've never had an experience like that, before or since.

Freed from BN Institution

The opposite has happened to me a few times over the years. I decided on those specific days to wear a vintage Creed and visit the counter of the house ironically at my local Neimans. When I was forced to spill the beans of what fragrance I was wearing, I generated a lot of attention. Stalkers, more like connoisseurs... Creed connoisseurs. That happened once with Angelique Encens and twice with Vintage Tabarome. Questions arose like, where can I get a sample? Where I can find it? I was afraid of questions like can I buy a sample/decant off of you? It be kind of hard to not at least help those Creed connoisseurs. I did help an SA get some Angelique Encens and Aubepine Acacia who became a good friend of mine in the years to follow.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

With several years of bartending under my belt, I have zero problem with asking someone what they're wearing if they smell good. Guy or girl, I don't care.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Blog Entries

Most beautiful waft of perfume was from a sorority girl during my college days as she had it sprayed into her hair, she was running ahead of me into a film lecture with Dr. Todd Boyd. Culprit was Elizabeth Arden’s Green Tea. Good olfactory memory.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't usually try to "discover" fragrances this way, as I know that one perfume can smell completely on another person, as opposed to how it smells on me! XD I've had more than one experience where I smelled a certain perfume on someone, loved it, asked what it was, and was kinda disappointed when I realized it was something I've already tried before and it's totally different on me! So, yeah..I have actually asked people what perfume they're wearing before! I can't remember the last time I did that though, and what it actually was! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Obsession by Calvin Klein
    How amazing is this. I passed someone in Sam's Club one time and liked his fragrance so much I went up and asked him what it was.

Yep, it was Obsession. It must leave a crazy good scent trail.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 7th June 2019 at 09:55 PM.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post

Yep, it was Obsession. It must leave a crazy good scent trail.
    It does! Even on people who didn’t put it on! It may not be the case with the current version, but in college I had to dance with a guy who wore it, and after each dance people wondered what I was wearing!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

None so far, although must admit to have had a few close calls, but stopped during that decisive last moments, for very different reasons:

remembering at least one regarding a male scent, worn by the husband of one of my teachers during the late 90s, one of the best if not the best powerhouse m ale classic sensed on someone else, but at that age, was simply too young, too shy and not even supposed to like fragrances yet, so the mystery remained to this day

about a decade later, had a similar experienced with a lady friend have incidentally met during a wonderful late spring-early summer day and can still remember very vividly her lavishly opulent, yet also very feminine and classy floral citrus scent with a very Mediterranean style, fitting the Riviera style light but elegantly cut, simple yet graceful summer dress she was wearing just perfectly, luckily this time was knowing her well enough to ask with no further complication and it was the Tosca flanker Bella Firenze (actually costing, at least before vintage price hikes, a fraction of more pricier scents she owns and uses, including at least one By Kilian)

I’m less shy than I used to be, and if something catches my attention, I will ask if the circumstances permit. I’m more likely to ask if I can’t identify it, so I guess it’s sometimes as much curiosity (and nose-training) as appreciation!

I can’t say I’ve ever ‘discovered’ a perfume this way (I certainly haven’t purchased any), but there is a certain sense of understanding it differently. Sometimes a perfume just fits a person so well that everything comes together to increase the impact.

Funnily enough, the last time I ‘stalked’ a scent was actually at Le Mount Stephen hotel, in Montreal. There’s a scent in the main area that’s a more rounded version of Santal 33. Like a cross between Santal, and Replica Jazz Club. It’s particularly lovely in that setting, which, for anyone who is interested to google Le Mount Stephen and the George bar, will make total sense. I set after it like a bloodhound, and was able to get the info from the concierge. Turns out it is a custom scent that they had blended for the hotel. It’s diffused through the property. You can buy it as a room spray from the hotel itself but, sadly, no personal fragrance or toiletries and no plans to make any.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Wasn’t a stalking because I knew the wearer.

I have a weakness for violet. The scent always reminds me of some violet candies my sister used to buy and share with me when we were children.

At work one day I caught a whiff of something resembling Insolence. There were lots of people in the room and I couldn’t be sure where it was coming from, so I just enjoyed it and let it go. But the next day when I walked into the office, there was only one person in the room and I caught it again. So I asked him if he was wearing cologne or after shave, or used scented body wash. He denied all of these. The best we came up with was perhaps it was his deodorant.

Not very satisfying, and a little embarrassing. But there just may be some really sweet smelling underarm products out there!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andthehearts View Post
    Hey everyone!

So I had an odd experience today. I was in a public library, and I kept smelling this amazing scent somewhere. I just had to know what it was, so obviously, I started trailing it around the building like some sort of bloodhound. Luckily, the woman wearing it walked right past me while I was doing this, and because I already looked ridiculous enough I figured, might as well ask. Turns out she was wearing Clinique Aromatics Elixir which is one I had been hearing/reading very interesting things about, and well, now I just have to have it.

So anyway, my question was: what are some fragrances that intrigued you so much you just had to do something similar (stalk the scent and try to find out what it was, I guess)?
    This is how I discovered Aromatics Elixir. I finally asked a lady I knew what her great classic fragrance was!

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I'm still mad about a missed opportunity like this.

I was in downtown SF, near Maiden Lane (a rather exclusive little section that houses boutiques like LV and Hermes, etc.), and I was rushing along in a crowd of walkers when an extremely well dressed female passed by, smelling unbelievably, indescribably classy and intoxicating. My head swiveled like a cartoon character's as she passed me, but I was meeting someone and had to just keep on walking.

I mentally kick myself even now. I should have tracked her down and bribed her to tell me what her fragrance was. I've never had an experience like that, before or since.
    Me, too! Lady exec in a meeting smelled amazing. Every guy in the meeting was noticing it and edging within sniff distance. Nobody wanted to jinx her magic by asking, so it remained a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    I don't usually try to "discover" fragrances this way, as I know that one perfume can smell completely on another person, as opposed to how it smells on me! XD I've had more than one experience where I smelled a certain perfume on someone, loved it, asked what it was, and was kinda disappointed when I realized it was something I've already tried before and it's totally different on me! So, yeah..I have actually asked people what perfume they're wearing before! I can't remember the last time I did that though, and what it actually was! lol
    For me, that fragrance was Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme. Unworthy on me, but amazing on a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Redryder View Post
    Wasn’t a stalking because I knew the wearer.

I have a weakness for violet. The scent always reminds me of some violet candies my sister used to buy and share with me when we were children.

At work one day I caught a whiff of something resembling Insolence. There were lots of people in the room and I couldn’t be sure where it was coming from, so I just enjoyed it and let it go. But the next day when I walked into the office, there was only one person in the room and I caught it again. So I asked him if he was wearing cologne or after shave, or used scented body wash. He denied all of these. The best we came up with was perhaps it was his deodorant.

Not very satisfying, and a little embarrassing. But there just may be some really sweet smelling underarm products out there!
    For me, this one was regular Old Spice deo on a coworker. He smelled fantastic. Never would have guessed Old Spice!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

I've actually asked quite a number of people what they're wearing; I figure it's kindof like a compliment for them, so why not? Once in the waiting room of my eye doctor, a man beside me smelled heavenly. I asked him what it was. He didn't know--"my wife bought it for me". I replied "ah." 10 minutes later he taps me on the arm and shows me his phone, which has a picture of the bottle on the screen. Funny. Also, one of my colleagues at work used to smell soooo great (now it's a scent-free zone, so he has stopped wearing anything--I refuse to stop, just go very lightly) Anyway, after deliberately walking in his wake for most of one day, I asked him what it was. He was very cagey, "It's from Hermes. One of the executives there gave it to me; he said it's their oldest scent." Now, 1) I totally believe that this man would know someone in the upper echelon of Hermes; he is from France and definitely moves in "those" types of circles and 2) he never did tell me the name of the scent 3) I have thoroughly and repeatedly tested the oldest of the Hermes line and haven't found it. I'm wondering if it's a body chemistry thing and perhaps I have smelled the correct scent but it didn't smell the same when not on him! Alas, I am left cursing my workplace, that forced this man to stop delighting my senses...

Quote Originally Posted by andthehearts View Post
    Hey everyone!

Actually something that seems pretty mundane and boring at this point, but the first time I smelled it the cool, true-to-life-but-better aquatic breeze smelled better than anything I had ever smelled in my life. And it's probably what started this an entire thing for me. The fragrance was Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

ive never had a problem asking people what theyre wearing. seems like more often than not they are more than happy that someone noticed.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Not full stalker, but I will try to work out who is wearing a scent, especially if it’s something I like.

My favorite part of these stories is that most of these scents are very mainstream crowd pleasers (or even deodorants).
    It’s good to see what we find intoxicating when divorced from the influence of knowing in advance what we’re smelling.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.