Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Givenchy Gentleman vs Kouros

Its been a while since i smelled kouros, but circled back today to vintage givenchy gentleman. I was enjoying that one. How similar are the opening patchoulis of the king and gg?
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman vs Kouros

Personally find the patchouli in the opening of the Givenchy more prominent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Oops. Thought i posted this in the mens thread. My bad. Question stands.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Oops. Thought i posted this in the mens thread. My bad. Question stands.
    Moved it for you.

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman does have a both more leathery and sharper, more bracing type of patchouli in its opening

Givenchy Gentleman vintage or current is based around patchouli. In fact the patchouli is so strong that I barely get any leather out of this one at all.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Givenchy Gentleman vintage or current is based around patchouli. In fact the patchouli is so strong that I barely get any leather out of this one at all.
    Agreed.

Givenchy Gentleman is a rich patchouli bomb (with a slight civet note)
    Kouros is the ultimate "man musk" fougère that smells like soaped nether regions.
    oh look, I have a signature

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Like right versus wrong.

Or maybe "good" versus "so bad it's good."

Its been a while since i smelled kouros, but circled back today to vintage givenchy gentleman. I was enjoying that one. How similar are the opening patchoulis of the king and gg?
    I don’t find the two patchoulis very similar. Although there is some patchouli in Kouros I don’t think of it as a patchouli fragrance because of the way its blended into the mix. GG on the other hand is what I think of as the animalic patchouli. Both great but reign supreme in their own distinct domains.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Hm, not even sure I noticed patchouli in Kouros before. Needless to say, way different. Kouros is my #1, but I don't really care for Givenchy Gentleman.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Kouros is my #1, but I also really love Givenchy Gentleman vtg. I don't really get patchouli in Kouros. They are very different.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

'Man musk' is an apt descriptor for Kouros.

I was surprised that these two share many common main notes (Civet, Leather, Honey, Patchouli, Oakmoss) as I think of Givenchy Gentleman (the original, not the current trash) as a patchouli bomb, and Kouros as musk, with very little evident patchouli in it.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

Thanks rum!
    And thanks all for your input. I'm reading umsimilar enough that others dont really relate the two. Interesting. Time to revist i guess. I do love musk. Just took umbridge with the nag champa incense smell of Kouros opening. I had thought it was a facet of the patchouli, but i was quite enjoying Gentleman in all its patchouli bombness.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks rum!
    And thanks all for your input. I'm reading umsimilar enough that others dont really relate the two. Interesting. Time to revist i guess. I do love musk. Just took umbridge with the nag champa incense smell of Kouros opening. I had thought it was a facet of the patchouli, but i was quite enjoying Gentleman in all its patchouli bombness.
    You might want to steer clear of Furyo by Jacques Bogart then. Kouros is about a 2 on the nag champa index. Furyo is an 11.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

GG is all about the patchouli. I don't actually find them comparable other than them being classic masculines. My preference leans slightly in favour of Kouros.
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Homme Parfum - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Mayfair - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

I'm echoing many here but yes, GG is about as much patchouli as you can squeeze into a composition and still have... y'know, a composition and not just a single-note monolith. Kouros is all about that chalky dusty white soapy barnyard incense. I get far more moss than patchouli even in the current formula.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

For me the Givenchy: don't like Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

Very different. I have the Givenchy but never reach for it much as it's just so much of a patchouli scent. Kouros, well, not to go with the old stereotype, but it probably is closer to urinal cubes and other forms of bathroom/locker room smells. You can't really confuse it with anyting else. I smell it on people sometimes and it's always immediately recognisable as Kouros. Giorgio for men is another very patchouli one and also Van Gils. I like them but don't seem to wear them as much as others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I don’t find the two patchoulis very similar. Although there is some patchouli in Kouros I don’t think of it as a patchouli fragrance because of the way its blended into the mix. GG on the other hand is what I think of as the animalic patchouli. Both great but reign supreme in their own distinct domains.
    Agree with this.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Very different. I have the Givenchy but never reach for it much as it's just so much of a patchouli scent. Kouros, well, not to go with the old stereotype, but it probably is closer to urinal cubes and other forms of bathroom/locker room smells. You can't really confuse it with anyting else. I smell it on people sometimes and it's always immediately recognisable as Kouros. Giorgio for men is another very patchouli one and also Van Gils. I like them but don't seem to wear them as much as others.
    I didn't get GBH vtg and GG vtg comparison until I smelled GBH on someone else. Wow...they are very similar and yes, the patchouli is very prominent in both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Patchouli is a single instrument in the Kouros orchestra. Patchouli is the entire string section in Gentleman.

If it’s patchouli you’re after, Gentleman is is the top tier, period, and Kouros, though I love it as an incensey animalic fougere, isn’t part of the discussion.

Both are desert island scents for me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I got gentleman. For some reason, it reminds me of a cleaning agent. though also reminds me of a barbershop, too

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Patchouli is a single instrument in the Kouros orchestra. Patchouli is the entire string section in Gentleman.

If it’s patchouli you’re after, Gentleman is is the top tier, period, and Kouros, though I love it as an incensey animalic fougere, isn’t part of the discussion.

Both are desert island scents for me.
    That's one raunchy desert island
    oh look, I have a signature

I guess it doesn't need saying again but GG is all about the patchouli, it hardly figures in Kouros. Both are all time top five for me, maybe top three, at least in vintage versions.