Code of Conduct

Default Bleu de chanel EDP, it's chypre , fougère or another family ?

Hi , my question so simple, dose bleu de chanel EDP Chypre, Fougère or another?
    Please I want to know

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Bleu de chanel EDP, it's chypre , fougère or another family ?

For me, it's in the aromatic woody group.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agreed! There is definitely a fougère accord buried under the aromatic and woody stuff, but I'm with Bigsly (conservative stance) on what scents we ought to call fougères. The more transparent, overtly mossy, fougère-accord-forward scents are the real fougères, IMO. Calling everything with a fougère accord a fougère is confusing, IMO, but I do get why it's done. Stylistically and fashion-wise, it seems to mean something.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

So, dose dior sauvage EDP is fougére?!! Or Oriental spicy or Citrusy or ?!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    What's exactly meaning of "Aromatic" ???

Quote Originally Posted by deutsh View Post
    So, dose dior sauvage EDP is fougére?
    For me, an aromatic fougere.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What's exactly meaning of "Aromatic" ???
    As I understand it as it pertains to fragrance - a plant emitting a pleasant and distinctive smell.

Thank youu so much, really appreciate

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'd consider both BdC and Sauvage as fresh woody ambergris scents. Technically an amber perfume is an oriental, but because of the way synthetic ambergris and synthetic woods are handled in modern mainstream perfumery and labelled everything from "amber" to "incense" and "woods" (depending on the compound), the "woodyamber" (compound word usage on purpose to emphasize artificiality of the accord) is almost a new abstract genre in and of itself that has no connection to reality like older perfume genres, with entrants like Azzaro Wanted and Y by YSL included. They aren't true amber fragrances nor wood fragrances but these are the words being slung at us by the houses themselves. They are just heaps of patent chemical basenotes with their discovery in something natural (like the ambroxide)

If you want a fougère accord in this family, look to Prada Luna Rossa Carbon or Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue, as the Prada uses lavender while both use tonka and evernyl (in place of restricted oakmoss); both also still make use of ambroxide in some form, as the stuff is just basically MSG for modern designers now.

Stuff like Aventus, Mancera Cedrat Boise, or Montblanc Explorer can be considered modern iterations of actual chypre accords, as they use a smidgen of oakmoss and sandalwood (fake or real) with their bergamot, or leather in the case of Montblanc to complete the accord. None of these things fall into what a purist would consider a real fougère or chypre accord, but you'll have to go artisanal with a house like Rogue for that if not digging into vintage
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 8th June 2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: clarification
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'd consider both BdC and Sauvage as fresh woody ambers. Technically an amber perfume is an oriental, but because of the way synthetic ambergris and woods are handled in modern mainstream perfumery, the "woodyamber" (compound word usage on purpose to emphasize artificiality of the accord) is almost a new genre in and of itself, with entrants like Azzaro Wanted and Y by YSL included.

If you want a fougère accord in this family, look to Prada Luna Rossa Carbon or Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue, as the Prada uses lavender while both use tonka and evernyl (in place of restricted oakmoss); both also still make use of ambroxide in some form, as the stuff is just basically MSG for modern designers now.

Stuff like Aventus, Mancera Cedrat Boise, or Montblanc Explorer can be considered modern iterations of actual chypre accords, as they use a smidgen of oakmoss and sandalwood (fake or real) with their bergamot, or leather in the case of Montblanc to complete the accord. None of these things fall into what a purist would consider a real fougère or chypre accord, but you'll have to go artisanal with a house like Rogue for that if not digging into vintage
    Thank you , ,

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Thank you , ,

I clarified the statement. May want to check it again.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I clarified the statement. May want to check it again.
    Dankeschön , Sicher

From a personal viewpoint alone, perceiving this akin to (although not 100% consistent with) a fresh, almost aquatic fresh, resinous and yet oddly or not, non smoky incense