Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman: current formulation defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    Anything with the wraparound label is the real thing. Anything else isn't ( but I do think the contemporary version is a decent scent )
    Exactly.
    Best,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well then I'm quite confused about what this thread was supposed to be about!
    Well...last try:
    The image below is the current formulation of the 1974 classic and im saying that I really like it.
    Thats it.
    Best,
    BruceB
    gg.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Well...last try:
    The image below is the current formulation of the 1974 classic and im saying that I really like it.
    Thats it.
    Best,
    BruceB
    gg.jpg
    The picture helps illucidate your meaning quit nicely. Its a sharp looking bottle, im a fan. The new iris version... eh.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Well...last try:
    Thats it.
    Best,
    BruceB
    gg.jpg
    Okay, so my comment now would be if you like it, great. I think it's quite good. Nobody is going to force you to buy vintage, and if someone says vintage is "better," remember that it is better for them but not necessarily for anyone else in the world. To me, what's great is that both are excellent and I have more than enough of both!

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    The picture helps illucidate your meaning quit nicely. Its a sharp looking bottle, im a fan. The new iris version... eh.

Okay, so my comment now would be if you like it, great. I think it's quite good. Nobody is going to force you to buy vintage, and if someone says vintage is "better," remember that it is better for them but not necessarily for anyone else in the world. To me, what's great is that both are excellent and I have more than enough of both!
    I never said better this, better that. Or feel "forced".
    I said what I like.
    Good luck and bye,
    BruceB

I never said better this, better that. Or feel "forced".
    I said what I like.
    Good luck and bye,
    BruceB
    Well you did say that you were "defending" your decision in the title! And your first post certainly sounded like someone who didn't like the ideas that some people say that vintage is far superior to the reformulations. In fact, if asked, I would say it's possible the person was seeking attention, because otherwise it's not clear what the purpose is. You could just write a review, and in it, disclose what your bottle looks like, describe the scent, and say that you enjoy it - no need for a new thread, is there?

Well you did say that you were "defending" your decision in the title! And your first post certainly sounded like someone who didn't like the ideas that some people say that vintage is far superior to the reformulations. In fact, if asked, I would say it's possible the person was seeking attention, because otherwise it's not clear what the purpose is. You could just write a review, and in it, disclose what your bottle looks like, describe the scent, and say that you enjoy it - no need for a new thread, is there?
    Bye bye.

This is like the most confusing line ever...

What about the version in the black bottle? Gets great reviews and I always assumed it was the best of the line?

Never tried the original. Usually people who gripe about current formulations are because they grew up wearing the original/vintage. So when they say "x" is crap, it's best to take it with a grain of salt. There are too many fantastic classics in their current formulas that get undermined and thrown under the bus just because they're not what they once were. Givenchy Gentleman is a classic example, and although i have never tried the original, the current is fantastic, and should not be overlooked. Masculine, and bold, still modern enough to be worn today. Patchouli done right, not overdone, and very wearable. Glad to own a bottle as well.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I own this version and have vintage samples. I like them both. You can't go wrong here, just don't buy "Gentleman Givenchy".
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Never tried the original. Usually people who gripe about current formulations are because they grew up wearing the original/vintage. So when they say "x" is crap, it's best to take it with a grain of salt. There are too many fantastic classics in their current formulas that get undermined and thrown under the bus just because they're not what they once were. Givenchy Gentleman is a classic example, and although i have never tried the original, the current is fantastic, and should not be overlooked. Masculine, and bold, still modern enough to be worn today. Patchouli done right, not overdone, and very wearable. Glad to own a bottle as well.
    It's more the utter cynicism with which Givenchy just traded on their legacy,keeping the same name and callously replacing a classic men's perfume of animalic honeyed patchouli with some utter shit that one prominent critic once called "a sad little woody leather". Whether one sees this as corporate greed or just contempt for its customer base, it did nothing to dispell the notion that somewhere in the last twenty years or so that Givenchy's perfume division had become a joke.

In recent years, Givenchy have tried to repair (somewhat) the damage by introducing the edt Gentleman by Givenchy in 2017, and last year the new edp. And they intentionally kept similar packaging for the edt while introducing an all black version for the edp. Whether Gentleman's reimagining as Valentino Uomo Intense/DHI is successful or not is up to each wearer. I don't find either of them all that interesting, especially the lacklustre edt version, but then again they're targeting modern perfume wearers who frequent the malls and the like, and not perfume snobs and enthusiasts who remember their legacy.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I own this version and have vintage samples. I like them both. You can't go wrong here, just don't buy "Gentleman Givenchy".
    What about the EDP?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26157517.html

Hall of Fame reviewer Darvant likes it!

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    What about the EDP?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26157517.html

Hall of Fame reviewer Darvant likes it!
    It's a more "casual" version of DHI, and I'm happy to own a bottle. Yes, vintage is best, but I also want variety, which is what some recent scents are good for.

A lot cheaper than DHI that's for sure. Get's great reviews for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    100 % agree with you.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Im your fan
    Best,
    BruceB

This is my all-time favorite men's fragrance hands down, so I'm a little more discriminating. I would still love to hear any direct comparisons between vintage wraparound label and the new "Eau de Toilette Originale" formula.

I have wraparound bottles as well as one of the first non-wraparound bottles from the early 2000's. Still has the short 3-ingredients list so presumably the oakmoss hadn't been tinkered with. Even almost 2 decades ago Gentleman was in trouble - the beautiful floral accords were noticeably cheapened in that "bathroom air freshener" sort of way, a very common affliction for these vintage reforms. That's as recent as I was willing to go, and the more serious ingredient restrictions hadn't even kicked in yet. I'm less than optimistic about what's currently available, but again, only because vintage is such a special thing to me.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    This is my all-time favorite men's fragrance hands down, so I'm a little more discriminating. I would still love to hear any direct comparisons between vintage wraparound label and the new "Eau de Toilette Originale" formula.

I have wraparound bottles as well as one of the first non-wraparound bottles from the early 2000's. Still has the short 3-ingredients list so presumably the oakmoss hadn't been tinkered with. Even almost 2 decades ago Gentleman was in trouble - the beautiful floral accords were noticeably cheapened in that "bathroom air freshener" sort of way, a very common affliction for these vintage reforms. That's as recent as I was willing to go, and the more serious ingredient restrictions hadn't even kicked in yet. I'm less than optimistic about what's currently available, but again, only because vintage is such a special thing to me.
    I can imagine that feeling. Believe me.
    Best,
    BruceB

The sharp leather isn't in the newer one, and vintage also seems to have more patchouli. The new one is more blended, with more of a focus on an ambery quality, though not an outright niche amber. I think of them as different fragrances, and there are times I want one but not the other. My guess is that the new one will work if you seek the "general idea" or want something similar but with the changes they made to it.

The original version was called Givenchy Gentleman and was very earthy bold green patchouli. They redid the formula years later to soften it up and more wearable.

I thought this thread was about the new Gentleman scents that Givenchy has tried to sneak onto the market. It feels deceptive to me because of the overuse of the name “Gentleman” and also by following what I think was a poor entry with the terrible Gentleman Only bottles. These two new ones are very different from the other designer trends now and are a compliment to the Gentleman namesake. The name is reversed in the title to be Gentleman Givenchy instead of the reverse order Givenchy Gentleman.

The current formulation is called Gentleman Givenchy and comes with a black cap and label - the eau de parfum version is a nice reinvention of the last formulation and I like it quite a bit- smells very much like a rare niche scent - nice use of patchouli.

Sold on the same display along side is also the new Gentleman Cologne by Givenchy which is in same bottle but a white cap and label and smells very different - sort of understated minimal with emphasis on vetiver but still very clean and daily wear appropriate. I like both the Cologne and Parfum- for casual wear and dress up respectively. Neither of these new ones are as striking and raw patchouli centered as the originals.
    Top Bottles: • costa azzurra acqua • black leather j-scent • unum Io non ho mani • terre d'hermes parfum • andree putman l'original • tonic blanc • xerjoff nio • no.9 bukhoor elixir • kosmala no. 4 apres l'amour • 19-69 capri • mandarino di amalfi acqua

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    It's more the utter cynicism with which Givenchy just traded on their legacy,keeping the same name and callously replacing a classic men's perfume of animalic honeyed patchouli with some utter shit that one prominent critic once called "a sad little woody leather". Whether one sees this as corporate greed or just contempt for its customer base, it did nothing to dispell the notion that somewhere in the last twenty years or so that Givenchy's perfume division had become a joke.

In recent years, Givenchy have tried to repair (somewhat) the damage by introducing the edt Gentleman by Givenchy in 2017, and last year the new edp. And they intentionally kept similar packaging for the edt while introducing an all black version for the edp. Whether Gentleman's reimagining as Valentino Uomo Intense/DHI is successful or not is up to each wearer. I don't find either of them all that interesting, especially the lacklustre edt version, but then again they're targeting modern perfume wearers who frequent the malls and the like, and not perfume snobs and enthusiasts who remember their legacy.

I'm not the new-formula-is-shit man, even I very often don't notice the reformulation, BUT in this special case I must agree.

This thread started about Givenchy Gentleman. It´s perfectly ok to talk in here about Gentleman Givenchy, natural I would say. But that is another fragrance.
    Best to all and thanks for the comments,
    BruceB

The sharp leather isn't in the newer one, and vintage also seems to have more patchouli. The new one is more blended, with more of a focus on an ambery quality, though not an outright niche amber. I think of them as different fragrances, and there are times I want one but not the other. My guess is that the new one will work if you seek the "general idea" or want something similar but with the changes they made to it.
    This is just about spot on. I also suspect that vintage bottles contained a very high quality patchouli distillate with very high patchoulol content, and wonder if this was tinkered with over the years - not even to comply with regulations, just to cut costs. Resident perfumer Manuel had a similar theory about the current state of RL Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    The current formulation is called Gentleman Givenchy and comes with a black cap and label
    I hate to come off as pedantic but that is a completely new, unrelated fragrance released in 2018. I know you grasp this and I'm splitting hairs but the words "current formulation" implies that there have been previous iterations or a "vintage" version which is simply not possible for a fragrance that hasn't even been on the market for a year.

This thread started about Givenchy Gentleman. It´s perfectly ok to talk in here about Gentleman Givenchy, natural I would say. But that is another fragrance.
    BruceB
    Bruce, I'm beginning to share your mild frustration at the difficulty of keeping the thread on topic and have to wonder if this was at least partially Givenchy's intention - I'm reminded of a brief period after the release of Dior Sauvage a couple years back where straightforward, on-topic discussion of the original Eau Sauvage from the 60's had become all but impossible.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

BruceB
    Problem is, at least for me, that some reformulations are "another fragrance" too. Just because they keep the name and bottle design does not mean it's all that similar. In fact, some fragrances by different companies are sometimes more similar than the reformulations! A good example is Preferred Stock and vintage Red for Men. These two are more similar than vintage Red and new Red, so the point is that it's better to simply compare one formulation versus another, whether the two scents have different bottle designs, names, companies, etc. or not.

Basenotes Plus

I have a silver cap bottle that is just awesome. Ive probably been sneaking myself a spray every day for the last week. How different is the silver cap from the black cap? Anybody compare and contrast?
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I have a silver cap bottle that is just awesome. Ive probably been sneaking myself a spray every day for the last week. How different is the silver cap from the black cap? Anybody compare and contrast?
    I've only tried vintage and black cap, so I'd be curious to know as well.

Just tried it: a very uninspired and generic thirteen in a dozen scent: (**)

BruceB
    These idiots at Givenchy has given us the most confusing line of all time.

It seems to me, from some research, the black bottled version, whatever it's called and linked above is the best reviewed.

This is just about spot on. I also suspect that vintage bottles contained a very high quality patchouli distillate with very high patchoulol content, and wonder if this was tinkered with over the years - not even to comply with regulations, just to cut costs. Resident perfumer Manuel had a similar theory about the current state of RL Polo.

I hate to come off as pedantic but that is a completely new, unrelated fragrance released in 2018. I know you grasp this and I'm splitting hairs but the words "current formulation" implies that there have been previous iterations or a "vintage" version which is simply not possible for a fragrance that hasn't even been on the market for a year.

Bruce, I'm beginning to share your mild frustration at the difficulty of keeping the thread on topic and have to wonder if this was at least partially Givenchy's intention - I'm reminded of a brief period after the release of Dior Sauvage a couple years back where straightforward, on-topic discussion of the original Eau Sauvage from the 60's had become all but impossible.
    Thank you! That´s exactly how I feel.
    Best wishes,
    BruceB