Not bad so far!

Default Re: Layerer's Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    Inspired by this subject I did a barbershop combo an hour ago:
    2 sprays Azzaro Pour homme
    1 spray Platinum Egoiste

Not bad so far!
    Sounds like a nice combo!

I'm mixing it up with some vetivers today - 2 sprays Guerlain Vetiver, 2 sprays Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée, 1 spray CdG Vettiveru 2.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Just stumbled upon a fantastic combo IMO: Montale Greyland, Gucci Guilty Absolute, and Encre Noire in equal parts. Sharp, dry, leather, vetiver, pepper, hardcore wood shavings - nothing sweet or colorful in sight, just shades of grey and black. Smelled great in today's cool, rainy Seattle weather .

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Do you just think it's gauche and nasty?
    Absolutely not. Although It's not a practice I do, many like yourself find it gratifying and exciting and that's great.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bulgari Extreme and Ferragamo F Black. Once the aggressive BE grapefruit topnote fades a bit, the combined tonka-musk drydown is out of this world.
    Currently wearing: Play Intense by Givenchy

Lately I've been layering Atelier Cologne Poivre Electrique with various florals - Declaration d'un Soir, Diptyque Olene and Le Labo Rose 31. Pepper and rose is becoming one of my favorite combos.

Stumbled upon a divine combo today: Noir Anthracite + TdH Eau Intense Vetiver. A wonderfully astringent, dry, peppery vetiver-bergamot-grapefruit explosion, and the "fake woods" base of TdH EIV is way less harsh than when I wear it on its own.

Recently acquired Monotheme Leather looks like it'd layer well with Hommage a l'homme - not sure I got the guts to do it yet!!
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Dependent

I stumbled upon a combo that I really enjoyed the other day. Aramis Tobacco Reserve layered with Madhat Scents Foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I stumbled upon a combo that I really enjoyed the other day. Aramis Tobacco Reserve layered with Madhat Scents Foliage.
    Nice! I need to try out some stuff from Madhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Recently acquired Monotheme Leather looks like it'd layer well with Hommage a l'homme - not sure I got the guts to do it yet!!
    Haha! Well if you work up the courage, do report back. HaH could definitely use a beefier leather base, layering would be a good way to achieve that effect.

Today I'm wearing Gucci Guilty Absolute (6 sprays) and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie (1 spray). Two very different leathers, but they work together well.

in civet est veritas

Today I paired Kouros (4th gen chrome shoulders) with Mugler Cologne.

Turned out fairly good but pretty soon the Kouros dwarfs the Cologne since it's drydown has such a long taper compared to the Mugler.

/Acey

I did 2 spray Pinaud Special Reserve and 1 HaH - not blown away. Started off a bit putrid - the combination really making the leather of PCSR really dense - but once they dried down and opened - its actually not bad - oud lovers would probably like it more. The oud and voilet(?) become more pronounced and for a while it smelledlike a "classic" high street ( arabian quarter!) oud - leathery, oudy, a rad fruity an floral. Since playing with Monothemes Leather a lots this week - this combo reminded me a little of that - just not as smooth, rounded or soft - rather a little more coarse/woody. Interessant!
    I reckon 2 sprays of PCSR was too much - 1:1 might have yielded a better/ different result.

I did 2 spray Pinaud Special Reserve and 1 HaH - not blown away. Started off a bit putrid - the combination really making the leather of PCSR really dense - but once they dried down and opened - its actually not bad - oud lovers would probably like it more. The oud and voilet(?) become more pronounced and for a while it smelledlike a "classic" high street ( arabian quarter!) oud - leathery, oudy, a rad fruity an floral. Since playing with Monothemes Leather a lots this week - this combo reminded me a little of that - just not as smooth, rounded or soft - rather a little more coarse/woody. Interessant!
    I reckon 2 sprays of PCSR was too much - 1:1 might have yielded a better/ different result.
    Sounds like some fun experimentation! Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Sounds like some fun experimentation! Thanks for the report.
    Cheers! Yes I forgot how potent the Pinaud actually is!

Monotheme leather (fruity soft leather) + Bogart Signature ( a mean *ss letha'!) = a pretty satisfying combo. Feels like a whole new frag, rather than anything getting way out of balance or kilter. Had been thinking about this during the day.
    Lol I guess the test if success of layering is whether I'd wear it 'out' rather than for personal kicks. This one, I say yes! On a crisp freezing day - I reckon this would deliver!

I've been wearing Spicebomb Eau Fraiche (5-6 sprays) with Atelier Poivre Electrique (1-2 sprays) lately. Amps up the pepper already in Spicebomb, and adds some incense-y depth. Poivre Electrique has proven to be a great and versatile layering frag.

don't know a thing about layering, but I had Spicebomb Extreme on, was well in it's drydown. Added Versace Oud Noir for the night, and in my opinion it worked really well, gave some depth/spice to the Oud Noir. I would take mixing them at different times yields better results, will definitely try that out soon.

I'm thinking Dunhill Edition and Oscar for Men will layer well together. Oscar's discreet yet radiant warmth that goes on and on I feel will really bump up Editions poor performance! Watch this space!

Quote Originally Posted by gewoonBB View Post
    don't know a thing about layering, but I had Spicebomb Extreme on, was well in it's drydown. Added Versace Oud Noir for the night, and in my opinion it worked really well, gave some depth/spice to the Oud Noir. I would take mixing them at different times yields better results, will definitely try that out soon.
    I could see that working well. I'd love to see a Spicebomb Oud flanker...

I'm thinking Dunhill Edition and Oscar for Men will layer well together. Oscar's discreet yet radiant warmth that goes on and on I feel will really bump up Editions poor performance! Watch this space!
    Keep us posted! Haven't tried either of those but curious to hear your results.

Had a go with this , might need some fine tuning, I just did a 1:1 spray. Oscar first as it dries off with an almost film layer and then Edition on top. Kaboom, mega amps up the spicy clove fest. Lol not sure what occasion one might need such dry citrus spice!

Encre Noir a L'Extreme x Terre D'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by gewoonBB View Post
    Encre Noir a L'Extreme x Terre D'Hermes
    I am not a fan of a l'Extreme but I love Encre Noir original and due to its ultra-fresh floral, yet slightly earthy, drydown, I think it makes a versatile base for layering. I tried Prada Luna Rossa Carbon over top of EN and it worked really well. The Prada has a slightly "aftershave" affect (plus something else metallic that can be harsh). The EN somewhat grounds the harshness of the Prada, while the Prada adds a little bit of excitement to the otherwise very subdued, understated, natural/earthy EN. I've layered John Varvatos (original) on EN and, surprisingly, it works just fine. The EN takes on more of a "fresh, soapy" affect on the skin, while the JV smells like what it is... men's cologne. Next to try: Calvin Klein Man x EN. We'll see what happens when the fougere-metallic CK Man mixes with the demure, earthy EN. I'm guessing it will be a bit like playing metal guitar on top of Mozart. That can actually work.

Encre Noire is definitely one of my favorite layering scents. I like pairing it with light citrus/white floral scents like Mugler Cologne or Diptyque Olene.

Today I'm wearing Terre d'Hermes Parfum with Gucci Guilty Absolute. The top notes of these two clash a little, so I only did 2 sprays of GGA, but once they settle down they have surprisingly similar bases. Take away the band-aid leather from GGA and the orange from TdH and you've got pretty similar scent profiles.