Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Layerer's Lounge

Are you a serial layerer? Do you just think it's gauche and nasty? Whether it's because I like to experiment with scents or because I'm just impatient and ADD and want to try a bunch of things at once, I really love experimenting with fragrance combinations. Not all the time, but usually for my SOTE when I don't care about creating some weird combination.

What's your layered SOTD? Very curious to see what other combinations people come up with, especially weird or unexpected ones. For me this evening, it's: 6 sprays Elie Saab Oud, 2 sprays TF Tuscan Leather, 1 spray Gucci Guilty Absolute. And I'm burning some oud incense from Baiedo that is contributing to the mix.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Layerer's Lounge

I wore VIW today at work, and when I came home, I hit a couple more sprays of that to refresh, and also added two sprays of Aventus. I don’t normally do a ton of layering, but I’m a huge fan of this combo.

Not a serial as much as occasionally a layerer, mainly motivated by curiosity and especially by having this curiosity stirred y scents perceived as at least marginally similar (for instance Dior Homme and, as strange as it may eem, Eau de Cedre Bleu by Yves Rocher-surprisingly their similarity.synergy working quite well in a self imposed testing experiment, though other layering experiences with few other scents turned out far less memorable, successful and thus more infrequent up to now)
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Banned

I seldom layer, but may try experimenting with it more. It is difficult considering that my wardrobe is rather small.

Wearing a blend of Prada L Homme and Eternity for Men today. Not bad, but not as good as the Prada by itself. Planning on wearing this the rest of the week.

I layered Jovan White Musk and Dior Cologne and it is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJP View Post
    I layered Jovan White Musk and Dior Cologne and it is wonderful.
    Sounds like a nice mix!

Que scay-je?

I am a layerer, serial even

Though I am currently only wearing the same jus every day of the week, I wear something different during the weekends and I often layer.

Few faves:
    Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and Joop Homme (vintage). Yummy candy oud.
    Aventus and Spice and Wood.
    l'Eau D'Issey and a splash of Polo Green

So much more!!
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

eight parts SMN Tabacco Toscano and two parts of Bulgari Black ...ultra sexiness and canned heat!

Of course it's gauche, but that's why I love to do it! Seriously, if the first fragrance I apply isn't getting the job done I try another, one that I think will complement it and/or make it stronger.

Recently thinking Versace Dreamer and Lalique Hommage a L'Homme would layer well. 1:2 or 1:3 ration. Lol will post up results!

Because I have a short attention span, I usually have anywhere from 4-8 different fragrances on various parts of my body at any one time. Funny thing is, I usually get compliments that way... moreso than when I just have one on!

Basenotes Plus

I layer on occassion. Favorite layering combos:
    Dior Homme + Guerlain SDV
    Creed Aventus + Creed Jardin d' Amalfi
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather + Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Current Favorites:
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    MKF Aqua Universalis Forte
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 extrait
    Chanel Bleu Dr Chanel Eau de Parfum
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum
    Pure Distance M
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Ombre Leather
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Le labo Poivre 23

"Waste time wondering which "cologne" pulls better, and your genes will spread only by accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job"
    Luca Turin
    Currently wearing: Sweetie Aoud by Roja Dove

Yesterday I wore a combo of Mugler Cologne and Encre Noire. Basically made my own Encre Noire Sport flanker ��

Que scay-je?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Yesterday I wore a combo of Mugler Cologne and Encre Noire. Basically made my own Encre Noire Sport flanker ��
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Recently thinking Versace Dreamer and Lalique Hommage a L'Homme would layer well. 1:2 or 1:3 ration. Lol will post up results!
    Tried this last night, it's dynamite! One of each spray, Dreamer first. I don't know the chemical wizardry going on but it just throws the frag out beastly ways. Still smelt it well 12+hrs later.
    The Laliques relative linearity becomes more rounder , lush and fuller, and the iris from Dreamer sings!
    Recommended !

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Tried this last night, it's dynamite! One of each spray, Dreamer first. I don't know the chemical wizardry going on but it just throws the frag out beastly ways. Still smelt it well 12+hrs later.
    The Laliques relative linearity becomes more rounder , lush and fuller, and the iris from Dreamer sings!
    Recommended !
    Sounds like a nice combo! I love Hommage a l'Homme but I don't get good performance out of it, seems like this would be a good way to give it a boost.

Que scay-je?

Sounds like a nice combo! I love Hommage a l'Homme but I don't get good performance out of it, seems like this would be a good way to give it a boost.
    It's blistering!

Wore a combo of Fahrenheit, Or Black and Grey Flannel today. I was extraordinarily floral and herbaceous. Nice for 70 degree weather with a good dose of humidity.

Que scay-je?

Tried out a combo of Encre Noire (six sprays) and Maison Margiela By The Fireplace (six sprays) this evening - it's remarkably close to Straight to Heaven, which I just wore yesterday. Not quite as boozy, but there is still some nice, rich, sweet notes from the chestnut and vanilla that invoke something like rum or bourbon, with the Encre Noire standing in for StH's cedar. I think Encre Noire is one of my favorite fragrances for layering, it's surprisingly versatile.

Que scay-je?

Banned

Not quite as boozy
    Then I'm not interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Then I'm not interested!
    Haha yeah the boozy note in Straight to Heaven is really uncanny

Que scay-je?

Banned

Haha yeah the boozy note in Straight to Heaven is really uncanny
    I just wish it lasted longer.

Bortnikoff Bonheur with Areej Le Doré Baikal Gris. Double the ambergris, double the joy. : wink:
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Bortnikoff Bonheur with Areej Le Doré Baikal Gris. Double the ambergris, double the joy. : wink:
    Wow that sounds like quite the combo! Bet it smelled great!

Que scay-je?

im not much of a layerer but i have tried a few ive read about - Bond no. 9 Wall Street with Coney Island, and I Love New York for Marriage Equality with Chez Bond - both are pretty darn good.

I have both Aventus and Jardin d'Amalfi so i will have to give that one a go and see how it turns out. Ive also heard Aventus with Spice & Wood is good, although ive never tried Spice & Wood so cant say for sure, just one ive read about.

Not on purpose necessarily, but I wore Guerlain L'Eau Boisee this morning and added a few sprays of Hermes Orange Vert Concentre this afternoon. The dry down of the Guerlain and the top notes of the Hermes make a nice combo.

Que scay-je?

Blog Entries

I typically layer over the base of another fragrance, but it has to be a quality base that will compliment the second fragrance. There’s no need to have two sets of topnotes and mids working side by side, it gets too busy for me. Best to at least allow time for the first fragrance’s top notes to subside.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Dependent

Better than a 'serial lay', which I guess is a more 'dressed-up' expression for a slut.

Ergo, I do not typically layer, however I've received decants of Arabian Oud Bussma today and another batch of Aventus (not that I chase batches in any way, just fancied seeing the nuance, if any), so I'll have to try those two together. Similarly, I've heard good things about BR540 and Aventus, so will need to try that (though undoubtedly in a similar ilk to the above).

I've layered sandalwood/ambergris tincture with Mitsouko Cologne from the '60s, and THAT was stellar. I'll have to think about what else might work in my current line-up...

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    Better than a 'serial lay', which I guess is a more 'dressed-up' expression for a slut.
    Uh oh, are we opening this up to plays on words? As in, “layer? I hardly know ‘er!”

In all seriousness though, there are some good layering tips here; I do also try to avoid the clash of top notes by layering slowly throughout the day, or using a fragrance with a stronger focus on base notes with one that has similar base notes but different top notes.

Que scay-je?