Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Letīs play a game: naming a parfum.

Picture yourself being the "headmaster" of a house. You have to name a fragrance: How would you call it?
    Being an animalic fan, my choice would be "Golden Shower" (parfum of course and pour femme and pour homme).
    Best,
    BruceB

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Letīs play a game: naming a parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Picture yourself being the "headmaster" of a house. You have to name a fragrance: How would you call it?
    Being an animalic fan, my choice would be "Golden Shower" (parfum of course and pour femme and pour homme).
    Best,
    BruceB
    Personally I would probably avoid naming it after sexual acts. Seems a bit Tom Ford or Etate Libre d’Orange to me. Sure it would garner some publicity, but it’s not the image I’d want to my house.
    Id probably choose a name based on the characteristics of the scent.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Personally I would probably avoid naming it after sexual acts. Seems a bit Tom Ford or Etate Libre d’Orange to me. Sure it would garner some publicity, but it’s not the image I’d want to my house.
    Id probably choose a name based on the characteristics of the scent.
    For example?

I'd call it "Mono No Aware," or Japanese for something like "the passing of things." It's the idea of finding beauty in impermanence and flux, and the notion that - like a fragrance - everything changes and evolves and nothing lasts eternally. Naturally, it would have to be a vivid scent with some surprising changes from top to bottom.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I'd call it "Mono No Aware," or Japanese for something like "the passing of things." It's the idea of finding beauty in impermanence and flux, and the notion that - like a fragrance - everything changes and evolves and nothing lasts eternally. Naturally, it would have to be a vivid scent with some surprising changes from top to bottom.
    Very very nice.

A limited run numbered 1 to 9, corresponding to enneagram archetypes.

0B2DFF9B-0FE7-4CDE-B69C-8D204EF3631E.jpg

Yes, it’s partly marketing though I do have a lifelong interest in numerology, personally profiling and enneagrams.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

Yes, it’s partly marketing though I do have a lifelong interest in numerology, personally profiling and enneagrams.
    Iīd certainly buy some of them Nice Title!

Possibly a few Italian or French sounding feminine and masculine given names, nothing too fancy otherwise but perhaps still credible enough to suggest a certain Mediterranean/Latin joie de vivre and fashion sense

(would probably have to avoid, mainly for copyright issues, "Lorenzo", because it the house of Villoresi may not allow this, "Leonardo" because it sounds to similar to 1980s fragrance Leonard etc., but pretty much any other name from a similar language domain/geographic region would likely be permitted and usable)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Possibly a few Italian or French sounding feminine and masculine given names, nothing too fancy otherwise but perhaps still credible enough to suggest a certain Mediterranean/Latin joie de vivre and fashion sense

(would probably have to avoid, mainly for copyright issues, "Lorenzo", because it the house of Villoresi may not allow this, "Leonardo" because it sounds to similar to 1980s fragrance Leonard etc., but pretty much any other name from a similar language domain/geographic region would likely be permitted and usable)
    Nice choice indeed.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

For example?
    Let me get back to you once I develop my line of fragrances

im kind of against the preconception that perfume has to have French or Italian in its name, but those are popular choices whenever these kinds of threads pop up. Mine would be pretty simple, mainly revolving around the main note. Perhaps I’d use the name of a place, preferably something linked to the main notes or the image I want the scent to have. I’d consider using favorite phrases in any number of languages or quoted from poetry I like and think would fit. Unfortunately Komorebi has already been taken.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Let me get back to you once I develop my line of fragrances

im kind of against the preconception that perfume has to have French or Italian in its name, but those are popular choices whenever these kinds of threads pop up. Mine would be pretty simple, mainly revolving around the main note. Perhaps I’d use the name of a place, preferably something linked to the main notes or the image I want the scent to have. I’d consider using favorite phrases in any number of languages or quoted from poetry I like and think would fit. Unfortunately Komorebi has already been taken.
    The post is open when you come back with the name

Possibly names that have gravitas - like Mortabar or something!
    Also picking stuff from British and other tradition/history/ancient mythology - Hastings, Inquisator, Et Tu?,
    (Pseudo) historic-ness adds some weight to a brand prolly! And would sell well in places that aspire to the idea of British and Westo-centric history as being superior in someway or other!

Then again could go abstract - by various concepts - colours, numbers, geographical l&l values, chemical names... creative design/branding is my profession so I'm stopping myself 'fore I get carried away...!

I want to create an incense oriental and name it something ominous like:

Black Sands
    Black Senser
    Dervish pour Homme
    Red Desert Moon...

Basenotes Junkie

I think it would be cool to do something literary, akin to imaginary authors, but more along the lines of a single series based on one thing. The first example that comes to mind would be based of off Dante's Inferno, and the Nine Circles of Hell.

Limbo - Not sure what this one would be, but I'd try to find notes that convey a sense of trepidation or unease
    Lust - Something sensual. Not gross like ELDO Secretions, but something with an undeniable sex appeal to it
    Gluttony - The Gourmand of the group
    Greed - I would love to incorporate a "money" note if possible
    Anger - Fiery Red here. Spicy. In your face
    Heresy - Not sure how to convey this in fragrance lol
    Violence - Could imagine using smokey notes (gun smoke type of thing), and/or metallic notes
    Fraud - Opening and dry down would be polar opposites if possible. Maybe starts out with amazing top notes and dries down into something totally different and worse
    Treachery - Another tough one to convey. Betrayal. Deception, etc. Would imagine something alluring but hard to think of what

I think something like that could be kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Possibly names that have gravitas - like Mortabar or something!
    Also picking stuff from British and other tradition/history/ancient mythology - Hastings, Inquisator, Et Tu?,
    (Pseudo) historic-ness adds some weight to a brand prolly! And would sell well in places that aspire to the idea of British and Westo-centric history as being superior in someway or other!

Then again could go abstract - by various concepts - colours, numbers, geographical l&l values, chemical names... creative design/branding is my profession so I'm stopping myself 'fore I get carried away...!
    Man, you should be hired by a House!!! Excellent choices.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I think it would be cool to do something literary, akin to imaginary authors, but more along the lines of a single series based on one thing. The first example that comes to mind would be based of off Dante's Inferno, and the Nine Circles of Hell.

Limbo - Not sure what this one would be, but I'd try to find notes that convey a sense of trepidation or unease
    Lust - Something sensual. Not gross like ELDO Secretions, but something with an undeniable sex appeal to it
    Gluttony - The Gourmand of the group
    Greed - I would love to incorporate a "money" note if possible
    Anger - Fiery Red here. Spicy. In your face
    Heresy - Not sure how to convey this in fragrance lol
    Violence - Could imagine using smokey notes (gun smoke type of thing), and/or metallic notes
    Fraud - Opening and dry down would be polar opposites if possible. Maybe starts out with amazing top notes and dries down into something totally different and worse
    Treachery - Another tough one to convey. Betrayal. Deception, etc. Would imagine something alluring but hard to think of what

I think something like that could be kind of fun.
    Brilliant concept. Really. I would buy Lust pour Homme and Violence pour Homme.
    Best,
    BruceB

Best,
    BruceB
    Gross. Who wants to put on a perfume named after someone peeing on another person? That's disgusting and perverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Rose View Post
    Gross. Who wants to put on a perfume named after someone peeing on another person? That's disgusting and perverted.
    My guess is: a lot of people.
    If you dont like it: dont buy it.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    I want to create an incense oriental and name it something ominous like:

Black Sands
    Black Senser
    Dervish pour Homme
    Red Desert Moon...
    Classic. I like that!
    Best,
    BruceB

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Cool Re: Letīs play a game: naming a parfum.

Golden Shower?? lol....how about Cleveland Steamer as a flanker?

Back to serious, I think about what I would name my scent all the time. I'll think up a list soon.

Good topic! Sans the golden shower. haha
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Golden Shower?? lol....how about Cleveland Steamer as a flanker?

Back to serious, I think about what I would name my scent all the time. I'll think up a list soon.

Good topic! Sans the golden shower. haha

R. Kelly pour Homme

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I'm trying to convince myself that he's being facetious, but humanity has let me down too many times before.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

I think this is a great idea, and I kind of wish someone would actually do this! XD What would they all smell like though?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

I'm pretty sure Tocca already beat you to this idea! XD

"Bitter Moon" would be interesting.
    Or maybe a line named after films: " Frantic", "Casablanca", "The Long Goodbye", etc etc etc.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

If I were of the mindset to create perfumes they would probably be along the lines of Sixteen92 and all the great scents Claire B. comes up with. Only, my "names" would all be of abandoned places or defunct locations. For example, one for an abandoned / razed town up the road called Alvira. Or, for a defunct amusement park near Hazelton that was called Angela Park...
    I've got blisters on my fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    If I were of the mindset to create perfumes they would probably be along the lines of Sixteen92 and all the great scents Claire B. comes up with. Only, my "names" would all be of abandoned places or defunct locations. For example, one for an abandoned / razed town up the road called Alvira. Or, for a defunct amusement park near Hazelton that was called Angela Park...
    I do really like all the sixteen92 names. Another fun idea might be something literary, like using the last names of all the families from William Faulkner's novels: Compson, Snopes, Bundren, McCaslin etc. Perhaps a winter seasonal scent called Joe Christmas? And maybe a more atmospheric, earthy one simply called Yoknapatawpha - a name that sounds like it could be an offering from Rasasi

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I do really like all the sixteen92 names. Another fun idea might be something literary, like using the last names of all the families from William Faulkner's novels: Compson, Snopes, Bundren, McCaslin etc. Perhaps a winter seasonal scent called Joe Christmas? And maybe a more atmospheric, earthy one simply called Yoknapatawpha - a name that sounds like it could be an offering from Rasasi
    The possibilities are endless really. "Alvira" would smell of the nearby farmer's fields, woods, and gunpowder, from the munitions storage domes built when the town was razed; the reason the town disappeared - eminent domain from WWII. "Angela Park" would have smells from food and treats stands...
    I've got blisters on my fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    The possibilities are endless really. "Alvira" would smell of the nearby farmer's fields, woods, and gunpowder, from the munitions storage domes built when the town was razed; the reason the town disappeared - eminent domain from WWII. "Angela Park" would have smells from food and treats stands...
    My McCaslin scent would be named after Isaac McCaslin, protagonist of the coming-of-age hunting story, The Bear from Go Down, Moses. It's all about hunting a kind of mythological bear and growing up in the wilderness, learning to hunt. It would have a deep, mysterious earthy note, lots of cedar and oak (which would also conjure up the whiskey they drink), gunpowder, and something animalic to represent both the bear, and the dog, Lion, that is finally fierce enough to take on the bear. A forest smell that would be equal parts beastly beast-mode and earthy.

Que scay-je?