Code of Conduct

Default Niche Fragrance for an older mother

Hey everyone!

My mother is turning 50 soon and I want to get her a beautiful niche fragrance.

A little about my mother:
    My mother is a very outgoing person that goes to a lot of weddings and other special occasions. She's also the wife of a CEO and has kind of a status.
    She mainly wears Pakistani dresses to formal events, attached is a picture of what it kinda looks like.

Also, I'd rather not get her a super sexy and dark fragrance. She already owns a bottle of Tom Ford Black Orchid.

What would you guys recommend?

silk-anarkali-suit-in-cream-color-with-resham-work-1-2054.jpg

Default Re: Niche Fragrance for an older mother

Perhaps Feminite du Bois-irrespective if the Lutens or the vintage Shiseido version/formulation, a Guerlain exclusive that is technically niche tier in quality even if more affordable, like for instance Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and/or almost any feminine/unisex choice by Memo Paris, particularly either one of their ouds or from their Les Echapees line (possibly the same principle can apply to more rose dominated and/or floral Frederic Malle scents like Portrait of a Lady, but also to the feminine/unisex offerings from Xerjoff, particularly within their Shooting Stars fragrance series)

What are your opinions on Parfum de Marly Delina?

Between two pine trees

Delina is a rose-based fruity floral with a boatload of vanilla. I'm not sure how old you are, but if your mom is almost 50, then you're likely squarely within the (male) demographic that *kind* of fragrance appeals to -- because it's what has largely been produced for "feminine" fragrances for quite a few years. You're used to smelling that kind of fragrance for women, so it's appealing, especially because it's a good version of what you're used to.

Your mom is my age. We grew up when the fragrance choices were far more varied, and not everything was some variation on a fruity floral. Not that there's anything wrong with them. But after a while, they aren't very interesting. And I don't have anything against Delina. In fact, I own and love Delina Exclusif, which I find a bit more interesting than Delina.

Do you know generally what kinds of things your mom responds to? What did she wear as a teenager? Growing up, I was in LOVE with the original Halston parfum (not the crap they sell in drugstores today) -- as a result, I'm totally drawn to things like Bogue Profumo MAAI and Roja Dove Diaghilev. But I also love Carnal Flower, Cuir Cannage, Fleurs d'Oranger, Fate Woman. You really need to know what your mom likes.

I agree with one of Ken's suggestions: Feminite du Bois. If she already likes Black Orchid, my guess is she likes her florals interesting rather than pretty. If she grew up loving Opium, you can't go wrong with Fate Woman. If she loved the original Giorgio of Beverly Hills, take a look at Carnal Flower or Vero Profumo Rozy Voile d'Extrait (more about tuberose than rose). Find out what she loved then and try to locate a contemporary version.

IMHO, Delina doesn't really fit the woman you've described above.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I agree with ExtremeK's comment that you'd make better selections if you know what kind of stuff your mom likes; doesn't have to be niche or designer.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Voyage by Nautica

Basenotes Plus

Fate Woman by Amouage

is a really good suggestion. It's far better than Tom Ford's Black Orchid, which is a bit trashy but in fun way. Fate Woman is all shiny light in an oriental package, just like the bottle. And while never loud, you notice it right away and at considerable distance.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

My mum couldn’t afford fragrances in the past as a teenager. My mum likes to wear anything and isn’t too picky. The Tom Ford Black Orchid I bought for myself, but ended up giving to her as it felt a bit too feminine to me. My mum usually wears fresh floral fragrances but they’re quiet cheap. I want to get her something she can wear for any occasion. I just don’t want something spicy and dark as she owns Black Orchid which she wears sometimes too.

Basenotes Plus

Mitsouko is a great classic and also Shalimar, both for similar reasons.

Maybe, some say, Guerlain isn’t niche — but it kind of is.

If it is within budget, I agree on the suggestion of Amouage. Amouage Gold is a big floral, not dark. Amouage Fate is a rich oriental, but it would be a touch dark.

cacio

Between two pine trees

Heeley Iris de Nuit
    Ormonde Jayne Frangipani
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    A Lab On Fire California Snow
    Parfum d’Empire Eau Suave

Basenotes Plus

Oliver by Strangers Parfumerie
    Prin Lomros masterwork

Between two pine trees

I forgot an obvious but excellent fresh floral: Chanel No. 5 L’Eau.

Blog Entries

As you mentioned that she has a preference for fresh florals, l'll recommend a couple of higher-end ones:

Carnal Flower
    Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia

These always feel super-classy & beautiful on me, & l'm in a similar age group to your mum.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin T by Bruno Acampora

Freed from BN Institution

I would suggest something like Chanel No 19 - bright, green, aromatic.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Mitsouko is a great classic and also Shalimar, both for similar reasons.

Maybe, some say, Guerlain isn’t niche — but it kind of is.
    These are great as well. I'd add Samsara as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

What are your opinions on Amouage Honour?

Basenotes Plus

A sweet white floral. White florals and I do not seem to get along, but I'm starting to make peace with tuberose. Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Gardenia, etc still coming to terms with.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Plus

You might want to consider their minature sets as well. 6x7.5ml of some of the ones you're considering.

https://www.amouage.com/fragrance/ac...for-woman.html
    Most worn:

Between two pine trees

Fantapoo, Honour Woman is much less sweet than Delina, so I’d say Honour Woman is closer to a fresh floral, which is what you asked about.

I just sprayed Honour Woman on my wrist, and it’s quite pretty: not dark and not overpowering but definitely a white floral. Listed notes include nearly all of the heavy hitters: jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, and lily of the valley.
    But it has a sort of sheer quality to it, so it’s not as overwhelming as other Big White Floral fragrances. Honour Woman actually reminds me a bit of By Kilian Love and Tears.

If your mom enjoys white florals (and she must to some degree if she wears Black Orchid), Honour Woman or Love and Tears could be nice.

I don't think Delina would be appropriate. Try Samsara or another Tom Ford; Santal Blush.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Really pretty subjective...but this is one I love on my wife The Different Company Une Nuit Magnetique.

From The Different Company:

A Floral - Amber fragrance by Christine Nagel
    Magnetic Attraction

“I have created this perfume as a magnet that physically attracts. The materials I have chosen create contrast and affinity, in an olfactory magnetic field with Amber wood at the core. Benzoin, Patchouli and Musk are melted in Amber and attract heart flowers while Prune holds them back in its sweetness. Ginger, Blueberry and Bergamot fuse and gravitate, tinting the scent of fresh, spicy and fruity facets.” Christine Nagel

He probably will never see her again. Yet that night, she appeared to him like an angel would. A dream? The remembrance of the laughs along the Seine, the warmth of the late spring, the rustling trees and the wind gently rushing into her flowing dress. A dress of a captivating sillage, a magnetic night...

Elegant, voluptuous and dense
    Eau de Parfum

Ay yi, I am not sure I would qualify 50 as an "older mother" if you are an adult..

I'm a mom in that age range though and love niche. I like Mure et Musc Extreme as a casual scent and from the picture of your mom's outfit style, I'd say please try some Neil Morris fragrances. Prowl is awesome, and I gave my MIL Summer of Love, she likes it, Rumi is great, City Rain also beautiful; these are high quality scents, affordable and she won't smell like anyone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Ay yi, I am not sure I would qualify 50 as an "older mother" if you are an adult..
    No, indeed. Was the word "older" really necessary?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin T by Bruno Acampora

Basenotes Junkie

African Leather by Memo Paris perhaps.

Serge Lutens Santal Blanc
    Creed Love in White for Summer
    Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia
    Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    Chanel Misia