Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Would you like some vetiver or patchouli with your Coca-Cola?

I'd be up for it if they were perfumes, but this doesnt make me want to drink it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    When is Clive Christian buying Royal Crown Cola so he can use the trademarks for haute luxe carbonated indulgence?
    Creed will no doubt claim that they've been doing this kind of thing for the past 250 years.
    Currently wearing: Legend by Montblanc

I love Coca-cola. These look cool, and I'll definitely try them.

It took me several minutes to realize they were beverages too. I thought I was looking at a line of Coke fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

I would take a sip of these in a split second. I'm really hoping they make it to the US!

Banned

Checked a couple of places and neither of them had heard of/stocked these new releases yet.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Checked a couple of places and neither of them had heard of/stocked these new releases yet.
    Would they perhaps be more likely to be stocked in a liquor store than in a grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Would they perhaps be more likely to be stocked in a liquor store than in a grocery store?
    Good question. Coke may have a problem getting them into the actual liquor stores if the owners of their establishments deem them to be a waste of shelf space. Who knows. I'm going to keep an eye out. I usually get my booze at the grocery but I may hit up a few liquor stores in the next few weeks out of curiosity.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Banned

I don't think so as I'd checked the press release and they said it would be released from the start of the month plus liquor stores round here don't tend to stock relatively obscure things like this as its all about the distribution.

I did just find this which says its available from June in the on trade (ie pubs, clubs, restaurants) so it might not be a retail release in that sense which makes it all the more niche in both respects!

Off to the pub we go...

Have seen in Waitrose already. May very well enjoy a tipple this weekend!

It may go to the retail shops later after a few months exclusively in the bars/restaurants. Happens a lot with spirits and mixers.

I've bought a bottle of each on my trip to the grocery store. First of all, the pricing is a little steep in my opinion at 1.30 per 200ml bottle (or 4 for 4.00 as an introductory offer), but hey, I thought I'd try them.

My partner and I shared one bottle of 04 Woody with 20ml of spirit. Both with mid-range spirit, one with Kraken
    spiced rum, one with Gentleman Jack's bourbon (we followed the guide here https://www.cocacola.co.uk/signature...m_campaign=csm).

On its own, the cola is very pleasant, if not very indifferent. You could only taste and smell a hint of citrus, and some roundness of the patchouli. Overall, it was less aggressive in flavour and carbonation than standard Coca Cola.

The mix featuring Kraken left me cold. It blended in perfectly, almost too much so. The bourbon mix was very enjoyable however, and underscored the taste of the spirit rather well.

I might repurchase it for mixing with bourbon, however, I like my spirits neat so it will depend on where my fancy takes me at that moment in time. Like I mentioned before, the pricing is a bit steep for my liking, and I'd rather invest this in a decent tonic for my gin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    On its own, the cola is very pleasant, if not very indifferent. You could only taste and smell a hint of citrus, and some roundness of the patchouli. Overall, it was less aggressive in flavour and carbonation than standard Coca Cola.
    Bummer. I was really hoping for a grassy taste from the vetiver.

the pricing is a bit steep for my liking, and I'd rather invest this in a decent tonic for my gin.
    Hmm. That's the equivalent of $1.64 US for less than 7 ounces. That does seem high.

Banned

Tried all of them out now (straight, no chaser) and my thoughts follow. Excellent presentation as the designs look very retro and the glass bottles have a nice weight/best taste. Using the OG Coke as an 8/10 (yeah, I’m optimistic like that!) scale my rating for each flanker is at the end of the impressions:

Smoky - An almost Creosote like vibe is readily evident and its way up in the top, floating over the usual Coke jamboree. Interestingly as you drink it the taste turns into a smell that makes its way into your nostrils in reverse so it feels like you’re exhaling smoke. I’m guessing this is due to the Oak/Guaiac extracts in there. The only other added note that makes its presence felt is the Ylang Ylang due to its slightly waxy residual mouthfeel.

Smoky is the first one I tried and it immediately made me think of those boy racer cars where they take an average roadworthy vehicle and slap loads of unnecessary bells and whistles on that actually detract from the original design. In this case the mouthfeel of the drink is quite different and a lot of its character is now hidden underneath the extras which makes it a bit mushy and not as crisp/zingy. 5/10

Spicy - First sip and it straight up tastes like draught cola, less carbonation than usual. Meh. The chilli effect is mainly an aftertaste, aside from that it tastes cheap. 4/10

Woody - Once again very draught cola like as it feels a lot more syrupy due to a different concentration. You can’t really pick out any of the added notes like that as they are just a melange of addons that mainly add a dry kick after each mouthful whilst muting all the air it usually has. 4/10

Herbal - OK, now this is very different straight from the first sip. Before the cola even kicks in the lemongrass is already there which adds a really nice, slightly minty fresh air. Out of all of them this is the one that tastes most like a flanker and is probably the best done but still. The herbal accords bring a residual tang to the middle of your tongue with its aftertaste that is rounded with a slight citrus kick. 6/10

Overall my earlier analogy of unnecessary modification stands. They may be different when used as intended and mixed with alcohol (blasphemy!) as that would make sense why they have such a different texture/mouthfeel compared to the real deal and the addons may be accented/highlighted better with suitable accompaniment but as a drink on its own none of them are a patch on the original which is simply leagues ahead. If anything the over complication proves that genius is doing more with less and not the other way round as you can literally taste what they botched by including the new “features” as it makes you appreciate the OGs perfection so much more.

Herbal was easily the pick of the litter as it felt more like they took the original formula apart and put it back together with new elements whereas the rest feel like they "layered" the extra accords on top of the original concentrate and it leads to a squashed taste. Its also the only one that has the proper level of carbonation and thats a big lack in the other 3 as they are far closer to how Coke tastes from a fountain as the bubbles aren't "fresh" in the sense that they feel different in their shape/size. If I were forced to mix them with alcohol I'd wager:

Smoky + Whisky
    Woody + Rum
    Herbal + Vodka
    Spicy + Cognac

Is what they were shooting for in terms of accents and highlights whilst diluting your tipple as that would bring out the intended effect. The original remains a cut above in every respect be it taste, carbonation, composition, balance, versatility - anything. Anything that is except health

Blog Entries

Thanks Palmolive for your detailed impressions! l still haven't seen these anywhere yet, but will continue to keep my eyes peeled...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks Palmolive for your detailed impressions! l still haven't seen these anywhere yet, but will continue to keep my eyes peeled...
    All good bud, interested to hear what you make of them once you've tasted. They're in the supermarkets now but for some reason they had them displayed elsewhere so not in the soft drinks aisle, nor near the alcohol section and it was only due to a member of staff recognizing I'd asked for them previously that I was shown where they were now they were in stock.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Thanks for the reviews.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Yes, glad to see the reviews. Thank you.

Didn't Coke recently put out Orange Vanilla Coke too? How's that?

Basenotes Plus

It's dismaying to hear all the disappointment with these, but many thanks to Palmolive and Nastka for going so deep into the weeds.

They still haven't appeared in the States, and I'll still try them when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    They did, and I tried it. Very disappointing. I was really hoping it would taste like a Creamsicle (orange sherbet + vanilla ice cream) plopped into a Coke Float. It did not. The orange and vanilla flavorings were way off, didn't taste anything like their natural counterparts, and seemed much sweeter than regular Coke.

Coke also just put out a Ginger-Lime flavor of Diet Coke that I picked up when I saw it at the grocery store. Came in an odd can, 12 ounces but much taller and thinner than the regular can. Flavoring was better than the orange-vanilla thing, but the ginger taste was almost imperceptible to me.

Speaking of floats, do any of you soda junkies remember this little gadget produced by 7-Up, the "Fizz Nik"? It was a plastic sphere that split in half so you could fill it with a scoop of ice cream, reassemble the sphere and stick one end into a bottle of soda, then drink through the other end. Instant soda pop float.

I had a dim memory of seeing these in my childhood, and hunted for literally years before I found one on eBay. Worked just as well as advertised.

Blog Entries

l've seen TV ads for strawberry coke & mango coke recently, but haven't seen them in the flesh yet.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Nice review.

Can't wait to try Pepsi Oud.
    Currently wearing: Legend by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l've seen TV ads for strawberry coke & mango coke recently, but haven't seen them in the flesh yet.
    The strawberry one is awful, but the mango coke is actually surprisingly good. It's not too sweet, but rather has the tang of a fruit that isn't fully ripe yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Yes, glad to see the reviews. Thank you.

I actually like the Orange Vanilla Coke. I was fully prepared to hate it but nope! To me it tastes like they used their Vanilla Coke recipe and just added a little hint of orange to it. I was surprised! But I love vanilla Coke, and still prefer it every time, but the orange vanilla is much better quality that I thought it would be.

It's dismaying to hear all the disappointment with these, but many thanks to Palmolive and Nastka for going so deep into the weeds.

They still haven't appeared in the States, and I'll still try them when they do.

They did, and I tried it. Very disappointing. I was really hoping it would taste like a Creamsicle (orange sherbet + vanilla ice cream) plopped into a Coke Float. It did not. The orange and vanilla flavorings were way off, didn't taste anything like their natural counterparts, and seemed much sweeter than regular Coke.

Coke also just put out a Ginger-Lime flavor of Diet Coke that I picked up when I saw it at the grocery store. Came in an odd can, 12 ounces but much taller and thinner than the regular can. Flavoring was better than the orange-vanilla thing, but the ginger taste was almost imperceptible to me.

Speaking of floats, do any of you soda junkies remember this little gadget produced by 7-Up, the "Fizz Nik"? It was a plastic sphere that split in half so you could fill it with a scoop of ice cream, reassemble the sphere and stick one end into a bottle of soda, then drink through the other end. Instant soda pop float.

I had a dim memory of seeing these in my childhood, and hunted for literally years before I found one on eBay. Worked just as well as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I actually like the Orange Vanilla Coke. I was fully prepared to hate it but nope! To me it tastes like they used their Vanilla Coke recipe and just added a little hint of orange to it. I was surprised! But I love vanilla Coke, and still prefer it every time, but the orange vanilla is much better quality that I thought it would be.

Thanks! I'll have to try it if I come across it in the supermarket.

And no, unfortunately I don't remember the "Fizz Nick." It sounds weird, but like something that would totally fit in with the 80's.

EDIT: Oh...the Fizz Nick picture just loaded. That looks like it's from the 50's!