Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A question for women

Hello,
    First of all I have to say that Im not an expert in parfums. I just love the few bottles I own.

So, Im wondering if there is an equivalent for YSL Kouros in woman´s scent world.
    Something so extreme that divides waters.
    Something you love or hate.
    Best,
    BruceB

PS: Do you like Kouros?

Default Re: A question for women

Maybe Salome or Bandit. I like Kouros.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Maybe Salome or Bandit.
    +1, and to these I would add Anubis and Fracas by the same houses (Papillon and Piguet, respectively). You might not think that a floral would fall into the love-hate category, but Fracas is over the top for some tastes.

Blog Entries

Tom Ford Black Orchid.

l love Kouros on my partner.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

I think Angel by Thierry Mugler is also one of these love or hate ones.
    I used to hate Angel, but recently tried it again and decided I do actually like that sweet and sour patchouli quite a lot, it's just a bit too loud for me to comfortably wear. Haven't smelled Salome and Anubis yet. Fracas...I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't wear it - it is too over the top (for me), like Bonette said. Black Orchid was disturbing for me - I was impressed and amazed by it, yes, but also disturbed by it quite a lot. I enjoyed Bandit though.

I am a bit afraid to try Kouros. Somehow I guess I am not going to like it at all. Will have to see if local stores have it here and if they do, will report my findings here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Maybe Salome or Bandit. I like Kouros.
    Thanks!
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    +1, and to these I would add Anubis and Fracas by the same houses (Papillon and Piguet, respectively). You might not think that a floral would fall into the love-hate category, but Fracas is over the top for some tastes.
    Thanks for the answer.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Tom Ford Black Orchid.

l love Kouros on my partner.
    Thank you!
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I think Angel by Thierry Mugler is also one of these love or hate ones.
    I used to hate Angel, but recently tried it again and decided I do actually like that sweet and sour patchouli quite a lot, it's just a bit too loud for me to comfortably wear. Haven't smelled Salome and Anubis yet. Fracas...I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't wear it - it is too over the top (for me), like Bonette said. Black Orchid was disturbing for me - I was impressed and amazed by it, yes, but also disturbed by it quite a lot. I enjoyed Bandit though.

I am a bit afraid to try Kouros. Somehow I guess I am not going to like it at all. Will have to see if local stores have it here and if they do, will report my findings here.
    Thanks!
    Best,
    BruceB

Yes, Fracas adored or hated.

Not sure about Bandit?

Black Orchid is another I dislike as I keep getting cucumber
    DONNA

I would say Angel, too. I really like it but it's such a loud mishmash, it brings strong opinions.

Who doesn't like Fracas? I didn't know it was polarizing.

Oh and anything with honey. Honey smells so different to different people. You could smell delightful to one person and dreadful to another.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I hate Mitsouko.

Let's see some division begin.

I'm laughing, but it's true. Mitsouko was probably my first blind buy and the first fragrance that had me pissed to "mf-er!" stage. Gave it away, I think.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Kai by Kai

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Yes, Fracas adored or hated.

Not sure about Bandit?

Black Orchid is another I dislike as I keep getting cucumber
    Black Orchid...beautiful name.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    I would say Angel, too. I really like it but it's such a loud mishmash, it brings strong opinions.

Who doesn't like Fracas? I didn't know it was polarizing.

Oh and anything with honey. Honey smells so different to different people. You could smell delightful to one person and dreadful to another.
    Thanks. Necer heard about Fracas (I said I dont know too much about this world).
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I hate Mitsouko.

I'm laughing, but it's true. Mitsouko was probably my first blind buy and the first fragrance that had me pissed to "mf-er!" stage. Gave it away, I think.

But such a beautiful name...

Blog Entries

I hate Mitsouko.
    Me too!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Basenotes Plus

Mitsouko, Fracas, Bandit (and I would add L'Heure Bleue), while not being "wearable" for many contemporary women, are still generally acknowledged as historically important, and lots of perfumistas (like me) feel a need to have them as reference materials, even if we don't wear them.

But to find something as divisive as Kouros from its own era, or even from the second half of the 20th Century, I think nothing comes close to being as controversial as Poison was. People who had never known (or cared) anything about perfume argued loudly about it in its day. Restaurants put up signs prohibiting it, for godsake!

Even Angel, for all the hubbub it created in the '90s, never came close to stirring up the general populace the way that Poison did. People who knew what a landmark Angel was (that is to say, "perfume people"), talked about Angel. EVERYBODY talked about Poison.

Of course, unlike Kouros, today's Poison is a skeleton of its old self. It still has fans, but nothing like the cultish following of Kouros.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Mitsouko, Fracas, Bandit (and I would add L'Heure Bleue), while not being "wearable" for many contemporary women, are still generally acknowledged as historically important, and lots of perfumistas (like me) feel a need to have them as reference materials, even if we don't wear them.

But to find something as divisive as Kouros from its own era, or even from the second half of the 20th Century, I think nothing comes close to being as controversial as Poison was. People who had never known (or cared) anything about perfume argued loudly about it in its day. Restaurants put up signs prohibiting it, for godsake!

Even Angel, for all the hubbub it created in the '90s, never came close to stirring up the general populace the way that Poison did. People who knew what a landmark Angel was (that is to say, "perfume people"), talked about Angel. EVERYBODY talked about Poison.

Of course, unlike Kouros, today's Poison is a skeleton of its old self. It still has fans, but nothing like the cultish following of Kouros.
    You're forgetting the original Giorgio Beverly Hills (1981). Came out the same year as Kouros and was banned from restaurants before Poison was. In fact, I'd call them both rivals in their day for the same trophy of notoriety.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You're forgetting the original Giorgio Beverly Hills (1981). Came out the same year as Kouros and was banned from restaurants before Poison was. In fact, I'd call them both rivals in their day for the same trophy of notoriety.
    You're right, there was a battle of the badasses between those two for a while, and god help you if you got caught in the middle of one. You might need an EpiPen.

Kind of like the contemporaneous battle between Krystle and Alexis.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You're right, there was a battle of the badasses between those two for a while, and god help you if you got caught in the middle of one. You might need an EpiPen.

Kind of like the contemporaneous battle between Krystle and Alexis.
    First time I've heard a Dynasty joke in the 21st century.
    oh look, I have a signature

Divisive...but I loved them at first sniff and wear them often = Bandit and Fracas

Polarizing...but I wore it so much in my youth that I can't wear it now = Poison

Difficult to like at first...but I love it now and wear it often = Mitsouko

Here's my suggestion for another feminine Kouros - Bal a Versailles.

I think the vintage extrait of BaV is just a gorgeous perfume. I know BaV extrait is a lot, but just a dab is wearable anywhere (or so I think). Cook.bot, I know you disagree! (And even I think that BaV is untenable in hot weather.) BaV in the current EDC is probably the closest to Kouros.
    Currently wearing: Scandal by Lanvin

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

...never tried Kouros... now I'm intrigued...
    I've got blisters on my fingers!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Good call.

I know BaV extrait is a lot, but just a dab is wearable anywhere (or so I think). Cook.bot, I know you disagree!
    I do. The extrait is just too much for me. But when I met the EDC, I tumbled hard.

I still wouldn't wear it just anywhere, but then, I think even most Kouros fans acknowledge it's not appropriate for every occasion. Or at least I hope they do.

Thanks!
    Another beautiful name for a parfum.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Divisive...but I loved them at first sniff and wear them often = Bandit and Fracas

Polarizing...but I wore it so much in my youth that I can't wear it now = Poison

Difficult to like at first...but I love it now and wear it often = Mitsouko

I think the vintage extrait of BaV is just a gorgeous perfume. I know BaV extrait is a lot, but just a dab is wearable anywhere (or so I think). Cook.bot, I know you disagree! (And even I think that BaV is untenable in hot weather.) BaV in the current EDC is probably the closest to Kouros.
    Beautiful names. Never heard of them (im an amateur...)
    Thank you.
    Best,
    BruceB

Well, given the reputed skank factor of Kouros, I have to suggest Salome, Absolue pour le Soir and Muscs Koublai Khan. I love them all but they are pretty much love/hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    +1 to these. For the notoriety value if nothing else. Wasn’t Annick Goutal’s Songes also banned from restaurants? It’s a gorgeous, lush, fleshy floral, and I can see how it could be overwhelming in the wrong environment.
    My sister wore Poison, so I ended up somewhat acclimated to it. It took a few years though!

I can see Fracas, Bandit, and the like being too much for some. Same is probably true for most of the 70’s and 80’s ‘greens’, leathers or monster white florals: either you like that style or hate it. I love them all, so I’m glad if they’re not as sought after

Totally agree with Cook.bot that while many of the classics don’t feel as ‘wearable’ to a modern audience, that’s not necessarily the same as polarizing. The ‘Grand Dame’ that is Joy is a perfect example of one that often gets this reaction today, but was much loved at its zenith. And yes, it’s both a piece of history and a reference scent, even for those who don’t enjoy her today.

Angel was a novel accord/note pairing, and its sheer unfamiliarity made it polarizing. Count me in the ‘hate’ camp for this one, I’ve always detested it.

For more recent releases, most of what comes out now isn’t intended to be challenging. Quite the opposite. You typically have to go niche or indie to find this now. Salome is a good example. I’d add Bogue Maai, too. I can enjoy most of what’s been mentioned here already, and I struggle with these two. Either could be a good modern analogy for Kouros, as both have musk and animalic notes that can turn them distinctly urinous. A hefty dose of civet and musk for Maai (as indeed for Kouros, though they’re otherwise quite different) and in the case of Salome, it’s the hyraceum that really amps this effect.

Is Anubis really considered polarizing? I ADORE this one!
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Well, given the reputed skank factor of Kouros, I have to suggest Salome, Absolue pour le Soir and Muscs Koublai Khan. I love them all but they are pretty much love/hate.

Absolue pour Le soir, definitely. Another one that skews very urinous on some people (me included)! It’s the honey.

MKK is an interesting one. I think this has been divisive since it was launched? Love this
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective

I hate Mitsouko.

I’ll defend the temptress . I love a little mossy-Mitsy!
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! More vintage Mitzy for ME! Pleez, youz guyz, oakmoss / Mitsouko haters keep on hating.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)