Code of Conduct

Default Chalk & Cheese....Smells good on them but like pee on you?

I once, many years ago, in the 90's had a buddy who wore YSL 'Jazz' and it smelt amazing.
    I went and bought some and it smelt like crap on me! Sour and horrid.

I had a friend who smelt amazing and it seems he was wearing Boss 'Bottled' so I went and bought a bottle....you guessed it, it smelt like pee on me...sour and well...like pee.

I have a nephew who wears Creed Aventus and it smells amazing on him.
    I went and tried a sample spray or two in a store and.....yep like crap!...Well perhaps not like crap but in-fact almost of nothing and a little sour. Certainly not the classic Aventus vibe on me as it was on him.

This has happened many times and I am now very cautious about buying anything based on how it smells on someone else but although I realise that we all have different body chemistry and that there will be some variation on the resulting scent but how can it be so completely different between people, why does it smell awesome on one person and disgusting on someone else...usually me?
    This must be a very common phenomenon in this community but I'd be interested to know of your own experiences and if there are some certain fragrance types that you simply can't wear and what those ingredients are that just don't react well with your chemistry?

Are there some specific notes that are notorious for being fickle in whom they suit or that are well known for being very off on some people?

Dependent

Default Re: Chalk & Cheese....Smells good on them but like pee on you?

Both Serge Lutens Chergui and Penhaligon Sartorial went straight to a very sharp, almost ammonia-esque, dry hay note on me. Really couldn't stomach either on my skin, but they smelled fantastic from the bottle.

Basenotes Plus

You will only wear Axe. You will only wear Axe. If you wear Aventus it will smell like pee. If you wear Aventus it will smell like pee.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I can't exactly speak about pee notes as such, but I do know that Sauvage becomes a mess on me (owing to the ambrox overload perhaps?) whereas it smells superb from far away. I also get this with Allure Homme Sport and the Eau Extreme version. Lovely far away but awful up close.

Basenotes Junkie

I always thought it's an olfactory overload and personal perception of scents.
    It should be no wonder to anyone that fragrances smell differently from hands distance than when you smell spray point up close.
    I can't speak about so called skin chemistry, I haven't seen any scientific arguments about it, would love to see something, though!

Pamplelune smells like cat pee on me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I'd be interested to know of your own experiences and if there are some certain fragrance types that you simply can't wear and what those ingredients are that just don't react well with your chemistry?
    I'm fortunate in that there is nothing that I can't wear when it comes to fragrances. What I choose to wear is a different story.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

spray it only on your clothes and see if you experience the same thing. might just be your nose.

How unfortunate. Can’t say I’ve had similar experience before, thankfully. But certain fragrances do indeed smell better on others.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Junkie

I think the sillage of certain fragrances smells better than it does to me up close. Aventus sadly falls in this category for me. I like it on myself, but it's spectacular in the air/on others. I think the wearer's olfactory fatigue and getting used to a scent is a bigger culprit than "this smells bad in the air around me" actually being the case.

The gorgeous "Cassini" back in the day turned sour on my skin. I gave the product line to my assistant and it worked beautifully on her.
    Une Fleur de Cassie gets sour and shrieks, so does Chanel 22. I had a recent sample of 22 and it was a scrubber!

Had a similar problem with another famous YSL fragrance (in a situation perhaps not very different from the one in the thread starting post), namely Kouros-never managed to so far get beyond its rather overpowering animalic notes, even though there is still a chance it might smell decent or even better than decent on others

L'Eau d' Issey, Acqua di Gio EDT, and others of that ilk smell like urine on me. It's a shame, because I have to avoid that whole super citrus/ozonic group of scents entirely.
    Currently wearing: Legend by Montblanc

Etro Messe de Minuit : plenty of people raved about this, but on me it stank like a cathedral full of unwashed people, and very little incense.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I once, many years ago, in the 90's had a buddy who wore YSL 'Jazz' and it smelt amazing.
    I went and bought some and it smelt like crap on me! Sour and horrid.

I had a friend who smelt amazing and it seems he was wearing Boss 'Bottled' so I went and bought a bottle....you guessed it, it smelt like pee on me...sour and well...like pee.

I have a nephew who wears Creed Aventus and it smells amazing on him.
    I went and tried a sample spray or two in a store and.....yep like crap!...Well perhaps not like crap but in-fact almost of nothing and a little sour. Certainly not the classic Aventus vibe on me as it was on him.

This has happened many times and I am now very cautious about buying anything based on how it smells on someone else but although I realise that we all have different body chemistry and that there will be some variation on the resulting scent but how can it be so completely different between people, why does it smell awesome on one person and disgusting on someone else...usually me?
    This must be a very common phenomenon in this community but I'd be interested to know of your own experiences and if there are some certain fragrance types that you simply can't wear and what those ingredients are that just don't react well with your chemistry?

Are there some specific notes that are notorious for being fickle in whom they suit or that are well known for being very off on some people?
    Out of curiosity, do you have a restricted or particular diet?
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather