Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 159

Thread: Iris Question

  1. #91
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    It's been nice knowing you, Starblind! Let's start a book club when we both get to the poorhouse.
    I'll be saving you the bunk below mine.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  2. #92
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,378

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    hednic do you personally collect Xerjoff bottles?
    I just looked at Jovoy in Paris the 100ml bottles are way cheaper 630,00 € versus 840,00 € on essenza-nobile

    Some food for thought should I consider a replacement bottle for Irisss down the road.
    I don't collect Xerjoff, but the 100ml Xerjoff Iriss at Jovoy is really not 630,00 €, it's 525,00 € after you log in upon registering and VAT is deducted for delivery to the US. In addition I have a customer loyalty discount of 15% off on 100 orders until December 31st 2019, so if I wanted that bottle of Iriss, the final price would be 472.50 €!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #93
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't collect Xerjoff, but the 100ml Xerjoff Iriss at Jovoy is really not 630,00 €, it's 525,00 € after you log in upon registering and VAT is deducted for delivery to the US. In addition I have a customer loyalty discount of 15% off on 100 orders until December 31st 2019, so if I wanted that bottle of Iriss, the final price would be 472.50 €!
    Lucky you--I'm envious of the customer loyalty discount!
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  4. #94
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Perpetua
    Posts
    9,953

    Default Re: Iris Question

    L'Iris de Fath - Supposedly coming out in a less expensive concentration.

    L'Attesa

    Iris Silver Mist
    - Hopefully it's still decent.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th June 2019 at 11:40 PM.

  5. #95
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    L'Iris de Fath - Supposedly coming out in a less expensive concentration.

    L'Attesa

    Iris Silver Mist
    - Hopefully it's still decent.

    I'm hoping it's still decent too, since I have a bottle arriving tomorrow.

    "L'Iris de Fath - Supposedly coming out in a less expensive concentration." Holy moly! Any idea when this is happening?

    I just tried L'Attesa and loved it til the drydown.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  6. #96
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,494

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Starblind, please report back with your impressions of Irisss and ISM when you've had a chance to try your new bottles.

  7. #97
    Basenotes Junkie grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're right, unfortunately. Which is why I just now took my credit card in my shaking fingers and did the deed. Oh, my...
    Congratulations Starblind! Irisss is an elegant beauty and you'll wear it well...
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

  8. #98

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Slumberhouse New Sibet is maybe my favorite scent with a big iris note right now. The earthiness iris has this bitter, almost aggressive edge to it that I've never smelled from the note, and the evolution features an engaging leathery/musk/dust backbone. I love iris, but my only qualm is sometimes they aren't exactly the most interesting/engaging scents - not the case here! Supposedly it'll be re-released later this summer (Josh is MIA, so who knows).

    Honorable mention to Feu Secret by FZOTIC/Fazzolari. Oddball spice suite, nifty cool/warm juxtaposition, big evolution. Similarly complex like New Sibet, but a little milder. (I see you aren't a fan of this one...I do love eucalyptus, though, and I get many don't get along with the stuff...and turmeric is a wildcard).

    Sorry, Starblind - haven't smelled the two you mention in the OP.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  9. #99
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Slumberhouse New Sibet is maybe my favorite scent with a big iris note right now. The earthiness iris has this bitter, almost aggressive edge to it that I've never smelled from the note, and the evolution features an engaging leathery/musk/dust backbone. I love iris, but my only qualm is sometimes they aren't exactly the most interesting/engaging scents - not the case here! Supposedly it'll be re-released later this summer (Josh is MIA, so who knows).

    Honorable mention to Feu Secret by FZOTIC/Fazzolari. Oddball spice suite, nifty cool/warm juxtaposition, big evolution. Similarly complex like New Sibet, but a little milder. (I see you aren't a fan of this one...I do love eucalyptus, though, and I get many don't get along with the stuff...and turmeric is a wildcard).

    Sorry, Starblind - haven't smelled the two you mention in the OP.
    I actually have a decant of New Sibet and love it. That dry, dusty "buzziness" is so interesting!
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  10. #100
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Congratulations Starblind! Irisss is an elegant beauty and you'll wear it well...

    Thank you, grayspoole! This is definitely the most I've ever spent on a single bottle, but I'm in love, so what can I say? :-)
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  11. #101
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Thank you, grayspoole! This is definitely the most I've ever spent on a single bottle, but I'm in love, so what can I say? :-)
    Congrats! I think it's definitely worth spending $500+. It's the holy grail of iris fragrances. I'd rather have 1 extraordinary iris fragrance than 10 good iris fragrances.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  12. #102
    Between two pine trees
    ExtremeK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,402

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Starblind, I only just now saw this thread. The Barneys in San Francisco used to carry the entire Aedes line, so you might be able to score a free sample of Iris Nazarena there. If you're still sampling, I have a few more suggestions

    I'm 100% with Kotori on how wonderful Prada Infusion d'Iris EDP and Infusion d'Iris Parfum Absolue are. I own bottles (and back-up bottles) of both, and they are my most-worn iris fragrances. Others I own and love are:

    Serge Lutens Daim Blond -- it's technically iris but wears more like a woody suede with a lovely apricot note. Overall my most-worn fragrance. I can't be without it.
    Papillon Angelique -- tobacco and iris. It is so damn pretty. I wore it a lot this past January and February. A warm and cozy iris you can snuggle up with.
    Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Bleu -- iris, lavender, and a woody tea. I'd swear there's some cedar in it. It's a sharper iris but not soapy/barbershop-y.
    Parfumerie Generale Felanilla -- this is probably more about vanilla than iris, but it's the craziest iris vanilla out there. It makes me grin every time I wear it.
    Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris -- iris and a big ol' raspberry note. Another crazy but wonderful iris.
    Heeley Iris de Nuit -- I bought this a year or two after it came it out, before the formula got tweaked and the bottle was redesigned. I haven't smelled the current version, but the original was so, so beautiful and not light/airy at all. My guess is you got the newer version.
    Coolife Le Sixieme Parfum -- this one has a HUGE iris note, all the way through, but it is a sweeter iris, so you have to be OK with that. Which I am.
    Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris -- leather iris that is more dry than sweet but not at all smoky. So much better than Cuir Ottoman. I think you can still get this one directly from the Parfumerie Generale website.

    Other irises I've sampled and really enjoyed:
    Parfumerie Generale Iris Oriental -- agree with donna. Gorgeous, spicy iris.
    Parfum d'Empire Equistrius -- iris and ambrette. A beautiful soft iris leather with a suggestion of salty perspiration.
    Anatole Lebreton Incarnata -- the most unusual iris I've ever smelled. I find it utterly fascinating. The gray-ness of it reminds me a bit of a facet of Iris Silver Mist, but I actually like Incarnata better; ISM has a metallic note that ruins the fragrance for me. I only have a sample of Incarnata, but dollars to doughnuts, I'll own a bottle of it one of these days.
    Parfum d'Empire Le Cri de la Lumiere -- iris, rose, ambrette.... I'm going to end up buying both Equistrius and Le Cri. They're the kind of iris that just pulls your nose inexorably to your wrist all day long.
    Parfums Delrae Mythique -- wonderful suede-y iris. Like Daim Blond, minus the apricot.
    Dusita Splendiris -- iris, violet, rose, vanilla, and cedar. Gorgeous but too fleeting on me.

    Welcome to the rabbit hole.

    And now I'm laughing, looking at my list after NCal's comment. Truth be told, NCal's approach would never work for me because there are too many wonderful versions of iris and, depending on the day, my nose often wants something different. I can't limit myself to just a HG, no matter how beautiful. For me, it can't be everything I want, all the time. Thus, my collection is packed with iris.

    Would you believe I started out not liking iris?
    Currently wearing: Love Tuberose by Amouage

  13. #103
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,426

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Wow thanks @ExtremeK. Now I have to add Incarnata and Equistrius on my to-sample list. Also +1 on the gorgeous La Cri De La Lumiere.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

  14. #104

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Thank you, grayspoole! This is definitely the most I've ever spent on a single bottle, but I'm in love, so what can I say? :-)
    Congratulations!

  15. #105
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Perpetua
    Posts
    9,953

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ......................Also +1 on the gorgeous La Cri De La Lumiere.
    Definitely.

    A magisterial fragrance and an excellent iris.

  16. #106
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    1,959

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Sultan Pasha Irisoir is my favorite and a masterpiece.

    Top: iris absolute, violet absolute, heliotrope, lilac, mimosa, peach.

    Middle: orris pallida butter, carnation absolute, jasmine grandiflorum absolute, Persian rose otto, violet leaf absolute.

    Base: white ambergris, mimosa absolute, tonka absolute, Mysore sandalwood, cedar, Haitian vetiver, orris pallida butter.

  17. #107
    Between two pine trees
    ExtremeK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,402

    Default Iris Question

    You’re welcome, Diamondflame! PdE has created some gorgeous fragrances. I should mention that, where Le Cri incorporates rose to gorgeous effect, Equistrius has a lovely violet/violet leaf note that wears on me as honeyed, but it’s probably the hay instead of actual honey. Le Cri and Equistrius converse across the decade of their respective creations, but I don’t find them at all redundant. Enjoy!

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Sultan Pasha Irisoir is my favorite and a masterpiece.

    Top: iris absolute, violet absolute, heliotrope, lilac, mimosa, peach.

    Middle: orris pallida butter, carnation absolute, jasmine grandiflorum absolute, Persian rose otto, violet leaf absolute.

    Base: white ambergris, mimosa absolute, tonka absolute, Mysore sandalwood, cedar, Haitian vetiver, orris pallida butter.
    Wow! That note list got my attention. I think I need to track down a sample. Thank you, thrilledchilled!
    Currently wearing: Love Tuberose by Amouage

  18. #108

    Default Re: Iris Question

    If you also like both venturing into the unisex fragrances (conventionally/officially defined as male, in practice far more technically suiting any gender with little or no effort) and also not minding iris root/orris fragrances, especially if combined with citrus, mainly but not exclusively "glowing orange", neroli, violet and/or violet leaf, some woody and leathery notes as well, Grey Flannel could be yet another potential and really readily available while also inexpensive choice worth some possible additional (re) testing.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 15th June 2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Further completing remarks regarding fragrance notes, plus additional spacing, editing etc.

  19. #109
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats! I think it's definitely worth spending $500+. It's the holy grail of iris fragrances. I'd rather have 1 extraordinary iris fragrance than 10 good iris fragrances.
    I tend to wear one scent for quite some time, so having a fragrance I adore is worth quite a bit to me, and I am definitely in love with this one.

    I was talking to a BNer earlier who said that Irisss might have been reformulated. Do you know if this is true? If my bottle shows up and smells differently than the decant I currently have, I'm going to be fairly devastated.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  20. #110
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,494

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I was talking to a BNer earlier who said that Irisss might have been reformulated. Do you know if this is true? If my bottle shows up and smells differently than the decant I currently have, I'm going to be fairly devastated.
    I had heard the same, which is why I'll be interested in reading your take on the bottle you just bought (also the ISM, which some BNers in other iris-related threads say has been reformulated).

  21. #111
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I had heard the same, which is why I'll be interested in reading your take on the bottle you just bought (also the ISM, which some BNers in other iris-related threads say has been reformulated).
    OH, no! I'll be crushed by this.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  22. #112

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    OH, no! I'll be crushed by this.
    I've just seen this thread, you could always return it and order vintage here:

    https://fragrancevault.net/collections/xerjoff

    it's a little more expensive but worth every penny.

  23. #113
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    I've just seen this thread, you could always return it and order vintage here:

    https://fragrancevault.net/collections/xerjoff

    it's a little more expensive but worth every penny.
    I'm confused about this. Is there some mention of these particular bottles from the Fragrance Vault being the original version or "vintage?" The bottle I ordered from Jovoy is the 100ml one that looks exactly like the bottles on the Fragrance Vault site. How can you tell/know that the Fragrance Vault bottles are the older ones?
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  24. #114
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,494

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    OH, no! I'll be crushed by this.
    No, don't be crushed, Starblind. I understand, but even if they've been reformulated they'll still smell better than 99% of the other iris perfumes out there. And you might receive bottles from older stock - that happens frequently, even with pricey houses.

  25. #115
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    No, don't be crushed, Starblind. I understand, but even if they've been reformulated they'll still smell better than 99% of the other iris perfumes out there. And you might receive bottles from older stock - that happens frequently, even with pricey houses.
    Bonnette, do you remember where you heard about the reformulation? Or if there was a thread about this? I've searched BN and haven't found anything.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  26. #116
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,494

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Bonnette, do you remember where you heard about the reformulation? Or if there was a thread about this? I've searched BN and haven't found anything.
    The ISM mentions might have been in the reviews.* But I do remember references to reformulation of both fragrances in the forum, as well - it's just so hard to do specific searches. If you type in "iris," you'll get hundreds of results, and typing in two or more words simply multiplies results without sharpening the focus.

    Even so, suspicions about reformulation are highly subjective, since companies almost never own up to it. My operational approach is to assume that newer batches of anything have been reformulated, in anticipation of tighter restrictions...at the same time, when I read comments about fragrances having changed or become "watered down," I know that those observations are rooted in personal psychology. In the end, "the nose knows"...or not. That's why I'll be interested to hear what you think of your bottles.

    *Edited to add: Nope, can't find it in the BN reviews...must have been in a blog, but I read so many of them that I don't remember specifics unless there's something I'm pointedly researching.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 15th June 2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: addition

  27. #117
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Today in my Iris sampling:

    Hiris - Much too high-pitched and screamy. Ack.

    (A brand new sample of) Irisss - Yup, this has been horribly reformulated. :-( Where, oh, where, is that gorgeous, creamy orris and that beautiful dry down? I truly wouldn't even recognize this as the same fragrance. I am verklempt, to say the least.

    Iris Silver Mist - Even in the reformulated version this is a stunner, so rooty and dirt-like and wonderfully odd. This almost, almost makes up for my disappointment with Irisss (almost).
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

  28. #118
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,494

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Wow, Irisss ruined! Thank heaven the ISM is still a beauty.

  29. #119

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I'm confused about this. Is there some mention of these particular bottles from the Fragrance Vault being the original version or "vintage?" The bottle I ordered from Jovoy is the 100ml one that looks exactly like the bottles on the Fragrance Vault site. How can you tell/know that the Fragrance Vault bottles are the older ones?
    The ones being sold on the Fragrance Vault site are definitely the older rectangle bottle, if you click on Irisss it says it in the description. I think Xerjoff changed their bottle shape some time in 2017 or 2018, so it will be at least this old. I've looked at the Jovoy site under their Terms and you can return it with 7 business days of receipt so there's nothing to be concerned about. Now if I could only press the checkout button on that Damarose

  30. #120
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Iris Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    The ones being sold on the Fragrance Vault site are definitely the older rectangle bottle, if you click on Irisss it says it in the description. I think Xerjoff changed their bottle shape some time in 2017 or 2018, so it will be at least this old. I've looked at the Jovoy site under their Terms and you can return it with 7 business days of receipt so there's nothing to be concerned about. Now if I could only press the checkout button on that Damarose
    Thank you, mixerscent!

    After peering at both of these websites for a while, I see exactly what you mean. And, yes, it is definitely the older version of Irisss that I love. I've now sampled the newer version and have NO interest in purchasing it, so back to Jovoy my bottle will go.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci




Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25th August 2014, 12:21 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th August 2012, 02:25 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28th May 2010, 02:35 PM
  4. How does Prada's Iris compare to Iris Bleu Gris
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th February 2008, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000