Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Super smelly materials storage . . ?

Super smelly materials storage... ?
    I can't keep my mercaptans, thiols, sulfurs, etc, in my lab anymore, without serious odor control. I bought some plastic containers with a silicone seal, but the odor still gets out. It worked for awhile, but I think the plastic absorbed the odor and now those plastic boxes really reek. Next, I bought these stainless steel containers, with a wide ribbon of silicone seal. Smell still gets out. This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LDB7VW?ref=em_1p_4_ti&ref_=pe_25222860_4075633 80

Do I need to double steel box these materials to control the odor output? Or is there a better option? Yes, I've seen the round stainless units, but a rectangular box fits better on my shelves. And, at least on primary shelving, my height limit is 6.6" tall, and 11 deep. It, they, (if more than one), *could* live on another shelf somewhere... I suppose...

Default Re: Super smelly materials storage . . ?

I keep indole in nested ball jars. You could do two or three nested jars, depending on your needs. It's worked well for me.

I don't have super-smelly materials but in general I find wooden boxes, wooden cabinets effective to contain odours and sealed plastic boxes not at all. I have some closed plastic boxes for organization within a wooden cabinet and when I open the wooden door the smell rushes out. I also have lidded wooden boxes which don't fit in the cabinet, but wood within wood would be even better. I don't know how people do nose work in a room with fragrance materials on open shelves.

Put materials in small jars....
    Put small jars in medium sized jars...
    Medium sized jars inside large jars.
    I want to help newbies, like me!
    Matt`s Youtube channel: we examine materials, make accords and simple perfumes and talk all things scent related.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpi...5IG9nbG20t-lIQ

I am storing my raw materials in a fridge, in amber glas bottles, injecting ca. 2 ml argon, using polyseal caps, then cling film (or silicone or latex) around the caps and sealing with adhesive tape.
    Last edited by Ivor Joedy; 12th June 2019 at 02:49 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Hi Paul,

After diluting portions of my mercaptans and sulfurs to well below 1%, i keep the pure materials in a sealed aluminium container, wrapped with Griffon PTFE thread sealing tape. The sealed container goes in a glass jar, also sealed with the PTFE tape. The glass container is then wrapped in aluminium foil and finally ends up in a big glass jar collecting all the aluminium foil packed small ones. And of course, that one is sealed too with PTFE tape around the lid. (I do always seal the lid inside around the neck and outside around the cap). Works for me

Have a great day
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

Quote Originally Posted by jsparla View Post
    Hi Paul,

After diluting portions of my mercaptans and sulfurs to well below 1%, i keep the pure materials in a sealed aluminium container, wrapped with Griffon PTFE thread sealing tape. The sealed container goes in a glass jar, also sealed with the PTFE tape. The glass container is then wrapped in aluminium foil and finally ends up in a big glass jar collecting all the aluminium foil packed small ones. And of course, that one is sealed too with PTFE tape around the lid. (I do always seal the lid inside around the neck and outside around the cap). Works for me

Have a great day
    Is that PTFE tape the same stuff that Christine @PSH and Susan @CP wrap their bottles in when shipping? I love it, it's super easy to remove and I've actually reused it in some cases. I'm sure w your super smellies you'd want a fresh piece though.

Also, dayum, you've got your materials locked down like Area 51! Thanks for the technique... I haven't ventured into any materials requiring that but good to know.
    Last edited by runstile; 12th June 2019 at 03:56 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Is that PTFE tape the same stuff that Christine @PSH and Susan @CP wrap their bottles in when shipping?
    I think so, it looks like it a lot. However i use .1 mm teflon PTFE from the plumber store and @PSH and @CP seem to use a little bit thicker tape.
    I wouldn't recommend re-use, since best results are obtained when stretching the tape while wrapping it. That way it sucks itself in place for keepers.
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

I can add that parafilm doesn't work. What I eventually did was diluting the materials to 1% and sinking the smelly bottles with undiluted stock in a larger container filled with liquid paraffin/wax. Initially the odour would penetrate this as well but it settled with time. I suppose liquid(-ish) wax wasn't much of a barrier really but it became one once solid.

I see it as a serious problem. DMS for instance easily diffused through plastic, teflon or silicone so regular seals are of no use however tight.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I keep indole in nested ball jars. You could do two or three nested jars, depending on your needs. It's worked well for me.
    I'm going to second this option as well. Ball Jars are cheap and you can buy different sizes. I have my stinkers in two nested ball jars.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmacist_Blender View Post
    I'm going to second this option as well. Ball Jars are cheap and you can buy different sizes. I have my stinkers in two nested ball jars.
    Yes, Nesting seems the best. It's just that I have a LOT of them, and I can't afford the space for each bottle to have a double bottled placement, so I am looking for grosser storage capability.

Have you considered building a cupboard that vents through the external wall?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    Have you considered building a cupboard that vents through the external wall?
    oooh, eeek... any external modifications requires approval from the Nazified Homeowners Association, and a $150 fee. And signature from six neighbors, one of which is a racist delusional obsessed person, who only wants my head on a platter. Yes, I'm guilty of breathing while white.

I remember that a friend chemist mentioned, he is storing some materials in metal containers under water or in containers with slightly lower air pressure as the environment.
    Last edited by Ivor Joedy; 13th June 2019 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    oooh, eeek... any external modifications requires approval from the Nazified Homeowners Association, and a $150 fee. And signature from six neighbors, one of which is a racist delusional obsessed person, who only wants my head on a platter. Yes, I'm guilty of breathing while white.
    Connect the duct to a vent in the window then. A silent extractor fan can be set to come on every hour or so. If they oppose even that then connect the duct to a carbon filter instead.