Code of Conduct

Default Lutens Vetiver orientl

What’s the consensus on this? Couldn’t find anything on the search.
    How does it rank among the pantheon of Vetiver scents?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Lutens Vetiver orientl

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    What’s the consensus on this? Couldn’t find anything on the search.
    How does it rank among the pantheon of Vetiver scents?
    Not bad, but WOW. Can be quite solid for a lot of frag heads, but doesn't quite make it into the cream of the crop.

I actually had somewhat of a difficult time making the vetiver out of it as well. Didn't hold onto my bottle long, sold it to a co-worker I think?

Here's some thoughts of my wearing of it:

"Blind buy arrived today and wearing on left arm. This seems like a predecessor that Chergui was built upon - has that dusty sweet aspect to it. It's pretty good. To call it Vetiver Oriental may be a bit bold, though? If I didn't know the name or was not told any notes... not entirely positive I'd pick out vetiver in this. It is good though. Sweet but not tooth aching sweet or all syrupy, dusty but not powdery."

"Okay okay okay. You know what this is like? This is like if Christopher Sheldrake and Beatrice Piquet got together in 2003 for a friendly casual lunch date. Since both being perfumers they got to talking about that. One of them mentioned to the other an idea they have for a dusty, chocolate-y type of fragrance. They both talked over vague details and had a friendly challenge with each other to release something along the template they discussed. The following year in 2004, voila. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme & Vetiver Oriental were released. Think of them as like brother frags, or cousins or something. "
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I personally like it although for me, not among the top tier of my vetiver scents.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don’t particularly care for it. Vetiver and sandalwood is not quite my idea of a match made in heaven. I prefer my vetivers on the cooler side.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

I love it. I’d say it’s a gourmand Vetiver, slightly sweet, and quite versatile in the vein of L’Artisan Coeur de Vetiver Sacre and Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal. It’s hard to rank as I enjoy a wide range of vetiver.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 12th June 2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Freed from BN Institution

From what I recalled when trying it, it was alright. I prefer other vetiver picks over Lutens take on vetiver.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

I blind bought a bottle. It's a very nicely composed, safe scent. Doesn't go quite as deep and dark as I thought such a title by Lutens would. Almost sold it but by the end of the cooler season it began growing on me so I'll try it again when the weather makes sense.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

As long as you don't expect a vetiver dominant scent, this is lovely.

The original was very interesting, vetiver with a uniquely deep Lutensian twist.

I have tried the recent version a couple of times and find it a bit characterless by comparison but would recommend anyone who likes vetiver (or Lutens) to give it a whirl - just don't expect your world to be rocked.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I think it's a very good scent, as long as you don't expect there to be loads of, well, vetiver. It's also a more herbal, rounded vetiver (similar to the one in Vetiver Insolent) rather than the greener, sharper stuff you get in most fragrances (such as Guerlain Vetiver, Terre de Hermes etc.).

I wore my sample last night and did not like. Incense more than Vetiver.

I wore my sample last night and did not like. Incense more than Vetiver.
    Sorry to hear that.

I was quite pleased with it, at such a point that I rank it as my #1 vetiver over ~20 I own, and probably 40-50 I have smelt. For sure, this is not one on the fresh side for warmer days, since it has sweet/spicy supporting notes.

But I think it's a great mid-season one, and one of the few that managed to be a great and creative "warm" vetiver (as for Monsillage Pays Dogon and L'Artisan Timbuktu), without falling on fruity/sweet side (AC Vetiver Fatal, Byredo Bal d'Afrique, D&G Velvet Vetiver, ELdO Fat Electrician - I dislike the first 2, and just like, but not love, the latter 2). I think that there is a noticeable Christopher Sheldrake's signature in this one.

It depends what kind of vetiver one is looking for. Some may prefer earthy/nutty vetivers (like Givenchy's, Malle VE, Etro's and Lalique EN), or ones more on the fresher/green/citrusy side (Guerlain's, Lalique ENS, Zegna HV, Elie Saab's, Gorilla Smuggler's Soul).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

I was quite pleased with it, at such a point that I rank it as my #1 vetiver over ~20 I own, and probably 40-50 I have smelt. For sure, this is not one on the fresh side for warmer days, since it has sweet/spicy supporting notes.

But I think it's a great mid-season one, and one of the few that managed to be a great and creative "warm" vetiver (as for Monsillage Pays Dogon and L'Artisan Timbuktu), without falling on fruity/sweet side (AC Vetiver Fatal, Byredo Bal d'Afrique, D&G Velvet Vetiver, ELdO Fat Electrician - I dislike the first 2, and just like, but not love, the latter 2). I think that there is a noticeable Christopher Sheldrake's signature in this one.

It depends what kind of vetiver one is looking for. Some may prefer earthy/nutty vetivers (like Givenchy's, Malle VE, Etro's and Lalique EN), or ones more on the fresher/green/citrusy side (Guerlain's, Lalique ENS, Zegna HV, Elie Saab's, Gorilla Smuggler's Soul).
    Thank you for this. Informative. I’ll check out some of these.

Sycomore edt and encre noire sport are two vetivers I like.

Thank you for this. Informative. I’ll check out some of these.

Sycomore edt and encre noire sport are two vetivers I like.
    You may want to check my post on vetivers here, and also Mythrol's reference thread on vetivers here.

If you like Sycomore, a much cheaper (and nearly as good) alternative is Encre Noire a' l'Extreme imo. (their openings are different, but their heart is 95% the same, and their base is 80% the same imo).
    There's no real alternative to ENS, as it's pretty unique, but you may also like Elie Saab Vetiver n.6, Guerlain Vetiver and Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee.
    Zegna Haitian Vetiver (my SOTD) is also great, but discontinued (and thus terribly overpriced on ebay).