Code of Conduct

Default decant / split shops recommendation

I've decided that I would like to try ordering some decants, as a way to try some more expensive fragrances without breaking the bank.

What are BNers experiences with decantshop, scentsplit, or others? I've pretty much eliminated scentbird from the running already, given that the others have much larger selections, and I'm also not crazy about the idea of having to have a subscription.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: decant / split shops recommendation

Why don't you use split board here?

Basenotes Plus

I signed up for scentbird just to pull their amouage line. Otherwise basenoters are where its at. No tax. No subs. And i trust fellow enthusiasts more than faceless evil-corp.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Member

Yeah, I can't imagine why someone would use Scentbird at all. You can get 10ml decants from eBay for less money than Scentbird's 8ml decants, and you can get them within a few days after ordering them, not have to wait a month and not have to cancel any subscription. And frankly who buys 8-10ml decants anyway since I know whether I like a fragrance after a couple of wearings (1-2ml). Any further money spent on the decant is wasted and should be spent on a full bottle (if liked) or on something else (if disliked).

The only reason I could see buying a large decant is if it's something that's so insanely overpriced that one can't afford a full bottle... and Scentbird doesn't have any of those niche fragrances anyway.

I really don't see how they're still in business unless a ton of people have simply forgotten that they have a subscription and don't notice the $15 being pulled from their accounts every month.

Basenotes Junkie

Decantshop is good in my experience. Reminds me, I should get some decants to try new fragrances soon!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

People seem to have good things to say about Decantshop
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Decantshop definitely is my go to. Surrender to Chance has great selection and is reliable. I am looking at Perfumed Court right now to put together an order. They seem to have an extensive list and lots of options in bundled samples.