Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: La Couche du diable by Serge Lutens : Oud

Incidentally, re Bas de soie, there's a note I am hypersensitive to, it feels very swampy to me. But many other people don't find it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    That's your personal opinion. I care for recent Lutens releases, and love L'Orpheline.

What I still haven't understood though, it's why people care for Turin's opinions. But that's a discussion I'd rather not reopen.
    The latest Lutens you own is from 2014: no recent releases in your wardrobe?? I'd rather read Turin's opinions than yours!
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

La Couche du diable = les nouveaux vêtements de l'empereur, peut-être? L'Oncle Serge est un génie? Ou pas?
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Change of direction, there's no doubt, but drop in quality I disagree. I love the old loud bulldozers, and also think that most recent ones (l'orpheline, la religieuse and some the Eau series) are very interesting if we listen to them carefully. For sure, these are more on the intimate side, not making a statement.
    Andy— I agree! I’ve really enjoyed some of the new ones too! It seems they haven’t hit that same blockbuster status as Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Gris Clair, etc etc etc, though, right?

Change of direction, there's no doubt, but drop in quality I disagree. I love the old loud bulldozers, and also think that most recent ones (l'orpheline, la religieuse and some the Eau series) are very interesting if we listen to them carefully. For sure, these are more on the intimate side, not making a statement.
    Agree with this assessment. I did enjoy L’Orpheline and itching to sample Le Participe Passe. But what turned me off more than anything else was the repackaged ‘cash grab’. I appreciate it’s about market positioning but as a long-time fan it left me with a bitter aftertaste.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Agree with this assessment. I did enjoy L’Orpheline and itching to sample Le Participe Passe. But what turned me off more than anything else was the repackaged ‘cash grab’. I appreciate it’s about market positioning but as a long-time fan it left me with a bitter aftertaste.
    Im big fan of the opulent Lutens!
    But l’orphilene works very well for me too.
    Its diferent But it’s very Lutens also.

About the the repackaged items and perfumes!
    They sell perfumes!
    They do want they want! That’s profit!
    I buy I what I want!
    And that’s it!

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    So what do we think is responsible for the drop in Lutens quality? The parting with Sheldrake?

(I, by the way, LOVE Lutens and thoroughly enjoyed his weird baby teeth scent, so I’m not totally sold that it’s all down hill from here — though almost nothing touches golden era Lutens for me).
    Sheldrake isn’t working with Lutens anymore?
    Who is working with with him, now?
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

I think it is an interesting name for sure.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

When is this expected to be released or is it already available for purchase, and if so - where?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    When is this expected to be released or is it already available for purchase, and if so - where?
    On the Dutch version of Fragrantica:
    https://www.fragrantica.nl/nieuws/Ni...able-2517.html

Not a huge fan of SL offerings, but will definitely give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    On the Dutch version of Fragrantica:
    https://www.fragrantica.nl/nieuws/Ni...able-2517.html
    Thank you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Here in Europe is already being sold through the Lutens website.

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Here in Europe is already being sold through the Lutens website.
    I see that. We'll have to wait a while here.

Blog Entries

Hahahaha... with a name like ‘The Devil’s Diaper’ I hope it’s going to be a truly faeculent oud! 🤣
    Oriental and rose addict...
    Currently wearing: Sand Aoud by Mancera

I’ll return when the names polemic is over and the actual perfume is smelled!
    Please! Get over it.
    Its the same called Devil or 123ABC formula!

I’m a bit over the whole oud thing, but will give it a sniff when I get the chance. I think the last few releases were okay but not FBW for me. I’m sad that certain scents are now only available in the uber-expensive black skyscraper bottles. That price point pretty much eliminates them from my purchase list.

The latest Lutens you own is from 2014: no recent releases in your wardrobe?? I'd rather read Turin's opinions than yours!
    My wardrobe is not up to date, and anyways there's no need to own a fragrance to smell it- just go to Barneys or whichever Lutens retailer you have nearby. I'd suggest you try to have your own opinions, instead of trusting blindly any 2cents-influencer.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I'm going to repeat myself, but "couche" is also an old word that means bed. Here it is "Devil's Bed".
    Also, google translate is in my experience one of the poorest online translators.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I’m a bit over the whole oud thing, but will give it a sniff when I get the chance. I think the last few releases were okay but not FBW for me. I’m sad that certain scents are now only available in the uber-expensive black skyscraper bottles. That price point pretty much eliminates them from my purchase list.
    Agreed.

And I'm a fan of some of those like Borneo 1834, Muscs Koublai Khan, and Fumerie Turque.

The pricepoint of $375 is ludicrous for all three, and about double what I'd be willing to pay for any of them or what I think they're worth. Not surprisingly, a number of them can be found heavily discounted online, but none of the ones I'm interested in. Mostly newer nonsense.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I'd suggest you try to have your own opinions, instead of trusting blindly any 2cents-influencer.
    Someone in your position would be well advised to be a little more considerate and keep your hot air for yourself: if you had paid attention you would have known that l'Orpheline is rated by me as ****...

Quel bêtise, in the end.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Someone in your position would be well advised to be a little more considerate and keep your hot air for yourself: if you had paid attention you would have known that l'Orpheline is rated by me as ****...
    Glad you like it. So I m not sure why citing Turin since we both seem to agree that he needs a nosejob.

Glad you like it. So I m not sure why citing Turin since we both seem to agree that he needs a nosejob.
    We don't agree that Turin 'needs a nosejob': you need a brainjob! Read his review on La Réligieuse in The Guide 2018 and conclude with me that he is fully right about Serge Lutens.

Technically, L'Incendiaire was Lutens' first oud, although they didn't list it in the notes.

I have high hopes for this one.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Technically, L'Incendiaire was Lutens' first oud, although they didn't list it in the notes.

I have high hopes for this one.
    Oh didn't know that was the 1st one.

I look forward to smelling this one. I enjoyed the recently-released Le Participe Passe.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh didn't know that was the 1st one.

I look forward to smelling this one. I enjoyed the recently-released Le Participe Passe.
    Allegedly, Lutens and Sheldrake had been working on an "oud" for many years before they came to something they liked (and a huge ingredient budget helped I imagine).

I've learned over the years that no matter how much I try to love helichryssum...I just can't wear it. I did enjoy my blotter-test of Le Participe Passe, but not something I could live with all day.

From Word Reference, "couche" has several meanings:

https://www.wordreference.com/fren/couche

Diaper is one of them:

https://www.wordreference.com/enfr/diaper

Didn't some other names of Lutens perfumes have words with multiple meanings? Maybe they are having fun with double or multiple entendres.

Lutens lost me when they changed all the bottles and raised the prices. They also have a lot of names more recently that don't really resonate with me as a perfume—like Dent de Lait, for example. I do like some of the scents, though. Will sniff this one when it arrives.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Sorry to ask but, does Lutens and Sheldrake stills works together? Does anyone knows?

The last Passé was a strong release for me.