Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best fragrance for a 22 hour train ride

I will be boarding an Amtrak train tonight at 11, and won't be getting off for another 22 hours: I'm headed from California up to Seattle, and naturally I'm hemming and hawing over what to wear. I won't be able to shower, so fragrance is a must; at the same time, I don't want to alienate my neighbors with something like Tuscan Leather or Fahrenheit. I will be stuck in a small metal container with them for nearly a day after all.

That being said, these are the options I'm considering:

Mugler Cologne
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee
    Bottega Veneta Pour Homme
    Homemade Molecule 01 (Iso E diluted in everclear)
    Encre Noire Sport

Thanks!

Que scay-je?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Best fragrance for a 22 hour train ride

Mugler Cologne would be a good choice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee

Wears nice and stays interesting the whole life of the fragrance.

Since other people are going to be trapped in an enclosed space with you, I would be considerate and not wear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Since other people are going to be trapped in an enclosed space with you, I would be considerate and not wear anything.
    I'm only planning on wearing 1-2 sprays under clothing - just enough to keep my stank at bay. I learned that lesson the hard way after wearing Declaration on an airplane... I think Mugler Cologne may be the best bet since it just smells soapy.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I'm only planning on wearing 1-2 sprays under clothing - just enough to keep my stank at bay. I learned that lesson the hard way after wearing Declaration on an airplane... I think Mugler Cologne may be the best bet since it just smells soapy.
    Perfume will do little to keep your stank at bay. It will just mix in with your stank and could be worse. Consider taking wipes to clean your body at some point if you think it will be an issue.

Mugler colong should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Perfume will do little to keep your stank at bay. It will just mix in with your stank and could be worse. Consider taking wipes to clean your body at some point if you think it will be an issue.

Mugler colong should be ok.
    Oh yeah, I have a whole system in that regard haha. I'm terrified of flying so I've done this train ride before.

Que scay-je?

Oh yeah, I have a whole system in that regard haha. I'm terrified of flying so I've done this train ride before.
    Perfect. Have a great trip!

Basenotes Plus

It depends on the vibe/mood you want on the ride. Are you going to be looking at nature scenery? Then a fougere or green fragrance would be something I would enjoy, especially in a climate-controlled cabin. If you expect it to be warm then Mugler Cologner would be a good choice due to the light green effect. I suppose it depends on your mood and what you would like to smell on the way.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

I'm only planning on wearing 1-2 sprays under clothing - just enough to keep my stank at bay.
    Is this a train that doesn't have any air conditioning?
    Are you going to be doing something strenuous during your 22 hour trip?

I just don't get it.
    Presuming you're sitting down in an air-conditioned train...I don't see how 22 hours is engendering some type of offensive odor that needs to be kept at bay.

I mean...sure, find a way to brush your teeth, by all means!
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene should cost $275 for a 100 ml.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

From this list seconding Mugler Cologne among all previously mentioned suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Is this a train that doesn't have any air conditioning?
    Are you going to be doing something strenuous during your 22 hour trip?

I just don't get it.
    Presuming you're sitting down in an air-conditioned train...I don't see how 22 hours is engendering some type of offensive odor that needs to be kept at bay.

I mean...sure, find a way to brush your teeth, by all means!
    Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. It's mostly the fact that I have to sleep on the train, and while I don't think I'll get particularly sweaty, I do like to freshen up in the morning. I am a morning shower person; maybe it's just psychological but I like the feeling of being clean and fresh when I wake up.

Que scay-je?

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    It depends on the vibe/mood you want on the ride. Are you going to be looking at nature scenery? Then a fougere or green fragrance would be something I would enjoy, especially in a climate-controlled cabin. If you expect it to be warm then Mugler Cologner would be a good choice due to the light green effect. I suppose it depends on your mood and what you would like to smell on the way.
    The train does go through the mountains/forest a good part of the way. That's why I was thinking of Bottega Veneta PH - nice, clean, mostly a skin-scent, and it has some great pine tree notes.

Que scay-je?

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I love train travel. Having tossed and turned overnight in coach ("the cattle car") once too often, years ago I resolved to always pay for a sleeper and take advantage of the onboard shower, which is a really interesting motion experience. The Coast Starlight route is one of the few I've yet to enjoy. I envy the scenery you will be getting.

If you're agile enough to change clothes within the confines of the small restroom, I think a change of underwear and socks could make you feel refreshed -- maybe give your t-shirt a light spray of Mugler cologne in the chest area before packing it.
    Currently wearing: Iris by Le Galion

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I love train travel. Having tossed and turned overnight in coach ("the cattle car") once too often, years ago I resolved to always pay for a sleeper and take advantage of the onboard shower, which is a really interesting motion experience. The Coast Starlight route is one of the few I've yet to enjoy. I envy the scenery you will be getting.

If you're agile enough to change clothes within the confines of the small restroom, I think a change of underwear and socks could make you feel refreshed -- maybe give your t-shirt a light spray of Mugler cologne in the chest area before packing it.
    Mugler Cologne, for sure.

On a side note - I fell off a toilet, as the train was going around a curve on a trip up to Moosonee, in my youth. I laughed myself silly.
    Sono strano e sono orgoglioso di essorlo...

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

Yes, the Coast Starlight is quite a nice ride. Although I haven't done it all at once, I've taken it all the way to both LA and Seattle respectively from the Bay Area. The section around Santa Barbara to the south, and in the the Cascade Mountains to the north, are by far the best. I do genuinely enjoy train travel - I could fly with medication, but I see no urgency.

Spraying my shirt is a good idea - I may give my train outfits a few sprays this afternoon so they'll be fresh-smelling but not overpowering.

Que scay-je?

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    On a side note - I fell off a toilet, as the train was going around a curve on a trip up to Moosonee, in my youth. I laughed myself silly.
    Currently wearing: Iris by Le Galion

Basenotes Plus

Some 24hr deodorant.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

20 sprays of 1 Million.

Declare yourself Controller of the Party Carriage.

Drink a lot as well (not sure if you're allowed alcohol on American trains, but it's almost a point of national pride in Britain that drinking is allowed on most of our trains).

In all seriousness, whilst I do think this thread is literally an indication of how it can be easy to overthink fragrance and conceptualise it in a slightly unhealthy/unhelpful way, exacerbated by the way it's discussed online, this is a situation where all those soapy/transparent/fresh and clean fragrances are ideal.

Something ultra light like Kenzo L'eau, Caron Yuzu, the Mugler, maybe Acqua di Parma Colonia, MFK Amyris, possibly a tiny amount of Grey Vetiver (EDT is better for this situation). What about the Acqua di Parma Blu range? Fico di Amalfi? Basically, something you know you really like and have worn often enough to know it doesn't get cloying or annoying. I'd avoid green scents for that reason but that's just me.

But fragrance comes beneath deodorant, a good wash beforehand, and gum/mints/lots of water/toothbrush and tootpaste in terms of importance for personal hygiene. If you are a sweaty man, as I am and have been, consider using anti perspirant (but apply in advance, it can take 12 hours to actually work and most people misapply it). Or a talcum powder or alternative - this stuff really sucks up moisture in a short term situation. If you're hairy, like I am, removing and reducing hair definitely helps as well. Likewise, appropriate clothing - comfortable, non restrictive, perhaps limits sweat, like certain sports wear.

On the other hand, just go with 1 Million?

Cologne Grand Luxe by Fragonard

Freed from BN Institution

Mugler cologne would be a good conservative choice for the train up. If it were me I would opt for Creed Green Irish Tweed or Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

slpfrsly, all good recommendations! There's a Macy's on the way to the train station, I'll stop in and pick up a bottle or two of 1 Million You can drink on Amtrak, but only the booze they sell, which is ridiculously expensive. Well, that's unless you're crafty about it... I did once see a conductor literally grab a bottle of whiskey out of a guy's hand and take it. Harsh.

I'm definitely going to go with the Mugler. Gave my shirt two sprays, it mixed in seamlessly with the laundry detergent smell. I suppose there's no such thing as a "train-specific" fragrance, but Mugler seems good for travel in general. Train travel in the US is not as classy as it once was (and pitiful in terms of speed/efficiency compared to pretty much everywhere in Europe), but I do enjoy classing up the experience a bit myself.

Que scay-je?

...consider go by plane...?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Mugler cologne would be a good conservative choice for the train up. If it were me I would opt for Creed Green Irish Tweed or Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.
    I would be happy to sit next to someone wearing either of those!

Que scay-je?

Nautica Voyage. Two just below the Adam's apple - enough to keep you company, but not enough to impose on others.

If your regular hygiene routine can't keep you inoffensive for 22 hours, you are either not doing it right or have a medical condition that precludes train travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    22 hrs of indecent exposure?? Put on some decent clothes at least, FFS.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

A few sprays of Faqat Lal Rijal - that way you'll get a carriage to yourself.

ELdO Secretions Magnifique. 10 sprays right before boarding, with 5 refresher sprays every 2 hours. I'm actually rather surprised this hasn't been suggested already.

Or you could just roll with Mugler Cologne.

I've done this journey from the San Francisco Bay Area to Eugene, Oregon. Some nice scenery in parts.
    From your list Mugler Cologne. I'd be wearing Monsieur De Givenchy with Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte or Bulgari Pour Homme as second choices.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_i View Post
    A few sprays of Faqat Lal Rijal - that way you'll get a carriage to yourself.
    or Dior Leather Oud vtg or Interlude man!