Code of Conduct

Default Notes breakdown for Hommage a L'Homme

What are you getting from this?
    Been bugging me recently(!) - not a notes list on BN is simply "Woody notes, Oud, Saffron" and the Lalique website gives nothing away (as it does for other perfumes)?
    Cheers me dears

Default Re: Notes breakdown for Hommage a L'Homme

Fragrantica's breakdown is more detailed:

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...mme-13401.html
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I get some citrusy notes on top (Bergamot) and then mostly violet and a sort of tobacco which smells a little bit to a freshly opened box of cigarettes.

I could hardly imagine some non-smoker enjoying this scent - however I know a few people who do.

I haven't detected any oud there and I'm wondering why it's listed on Fragrantica.

It's blended very nicely, I would say, it's a gentlemanly scent and very classy but you can wear it casual for sure.
    To the younger guys it may smell a little bit dated. I would put it in the ballpark with Grey Flannel or even Guerlain Vetiver.

Unfortunately on my skin it was very weak and has only a mild projection.

It's a nice scent - but I don't think it's something like a "crowdpleaser".

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    To the younger guys it may smell a little bit dated. I would put it in the ballpark with Grey Flannel or even Guerlain Vetiver.
    Oh, I don't think it smells anywhere as old as those two, but it does have a 1990s-ish thing going on. Hommage has a lot in common with Versace The Dreamer (perhaps the most iconic "fresh cigarette pack" scent), though Hommage's syrupy violet distinguishes it.

I do get a bit of "oud" in it, but by "oud" I mean the woody synthetic that often shows up in notes lists under the name oud but doesn't really resemble the real deal.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Hommage has a lot in common with Versace The Dreamer (perhaps the most iconic "fresh cigarette pack" scent), though Hommage's syrupy violet distinguishes it.
    You're right, that's an excellent comparison!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I get mostly spicy notes with wood and some sweet floral influence.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't particularly get any oud from this, other than the sort of vaguely funky synthetic wood that others have mentioned. I get mostly fruity-floral violet and tobacco. A lot of people say they get a kind of fake grape (i.e. grape soda/candy) vibe from this, maybe from the violet and saffron combo. This one doesn't last super long on me (3-4 hours maybe), so I can never tell if it's a linear scent or if there just isn't much in the dry down or what. I like it, but it's pretty light on me and doesn't last long.

Que scay-je?

Personally relating especially to the Fragrantica notes description, due to getting indeed citrus-floral notes during the opening and mid phase, while also a quite strong woody-leathery base
    Currently wearing: Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Blog Entries

I get citrus, tobacco, violet, oud, saffron. And it’s great, smells like something worth 6 times more.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Shouldve SOTD'd it today doh! Alas tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow!
    By the by, I picked up Dreamer so will see what that brings forth!
    (On a deal Superdrug UK 200ml £31.50 to UK basenoters interested)

I call it a fantasy floral tobacco. Very well-blended.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Shouldve SOTD'd it today doh! Alas tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow!
    By the by, I picked up Dreamer so will see what that brings forth!
    (On a deal Superdrug UK 200ml £31.50 to UK basenoters interested)
    I love The Dreamer and I love the Lalique, which I'm wearing today because of this thread. If I had to choose, I would go for the Versace as it gives me a pleasure that the other doesn't quite match. The Lalique benefits from being sprayed away from the upper body, on me at least. I can smell it for a lot longer when I only spray forearms and over the belly area of my top.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    I love The Dreamer and I love the Lalique, which I'm wearing today because of this thread. If I had to choose, I would go for the Versace as it gives me a pleasure that the other doesn't quite match. The Lalique benefits from being sprayed away from the upper body, on me at least. I can smell it for a lot longer when I only spray forearms and over the belly area of my top.
    Haha good call!
    Yeah definitely taken me a while to get my head around Hommage. Certainly sticks around, the far drydown is dope, and where I get the oud. Agreed, so far learnt for me it's an undershirt ( belly sprays!) Wear so it wafts up nice n mellow thumzup

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Haha good call!
    Yeah definitely taken me a while to get my head around Hommage. Certainly sticks around, the far drydown is dope, and where I get the oud. Agreed, so far learnt for me it's an undershirt ( belly sprays!) Wear so it wafts up nice n mellow thumzup
    I quite like the Voyageur flanker of the Lalique; it's quite different though. All about patchouli and vetiver with a dry papyrus note. I saw it randomly in TK Maxx the other month!

Think that might be what I wear tomorrow...

Voyageur feels more like an Encre Noire flanker than an Hommage flanker.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    I quite like the Voyageur flanker of the Lalique; it's quite different though. All about patchouli and vetiver with a dry papyrus note. I saw it randomly in TK Maxx the other month!

Think that might be what I wear tomorrow...
    Yeah gotta get me a day of TK Maxx snooping

Man! the magic is in the dry-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Voyageur feels more like an Encre Noire flanker than an Hommage flanker.
    That makes sense.

I get a lot of Oud Wood similarities too. Not a fan of either.