Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default 2 new fragrances from Brooklyn Perfume Co: Ambergris and Green Iris

Has anyone tried these yet? I was tipped off to them from the Twisted Lily email I got today. I might get samples of the Ambergris, I wonder how close it comes to smelling like the real stuff.

http://www.brooklynperfume.com/eaux-de-parfum

$67 / 30 ml
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: L'Origan by Coty

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: 2 new fragrances from Brooklyn Perfume Co: Ambergris and Green Iris

Thank you, Mike. I just ordered the sample pack that Twisted Lily is offering.
    The perfumer is listed as James Peterson. He's a chef who has authored about a dozen really good cookbooks. After working my way through his Sauces, which won a James Beard award, I'm wondering if he will approach fragrances like he did with flavors.
    "Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal." ---Diana Vreeland, VOGUE
    "Stink elegant!" ---C. J. Lacey, grandfather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Has anyone tried these yet? I was tipped off to them from the Twisted Lily email I got today. I might get samples of the Ambergris, I wonder how close it comes to smelling like the real stuff.

http://www.brooklynperfume.com/eaux-de-parfum

$67 / 30 ml
    Please let us know what you think! I am interested in both of these. I really liked their oud.

Basenotes Plus

I would like to re-try their Oud. It's a new oud he's using. I might order samples of it and the Ambergris. Let's see. At the moment I am literally *inundated* with samples and decants. #basenoteslife
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th June 2019 at 06:46 PM.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post
    Thank you, Mike. I just ordered the sample pack that Twisted Lily is offering.
    The perfumer is listed as James Peterson. He's a chef who has authored about a dozen really good cookbooks. After working my way through his Sauces, which won a James Beard award, I'm wondering if he will approach fragrances like he did with flavors.
    Interested to hear what you think about the samples mammakay

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

They're probably at least "good".

The 30ml is $115 though. The 15ml is $67.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    They're probably at least "good".

The 30ml is $115 though. The 15ml is $67.
    Oh gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

-- Eckhart Tolle

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the perfumer at Brooklyn Perfume Company. Ambergris is a take on ambergris and doesn't smell only of ambergris (of which it contains a hefty amount), but of other compounds that emulate it and create a marine background. In the dry down, though, there is nothing but pure ambergris. It's very long lasting.
    I have, in fact, worked with a new combination of ouds to create the third edition. The second edition, which is the funkiest (I used a strong wild out) is a limited edition of 50. This new, third, edition is sweeter, but still contains plenty of funk.
    I'm really excited about Green Iris. I've been working on it for over a year, trying to get the smell of orris to persist and project. It is very green and very orrissy. I'm eager to hear feedback about it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the perfumer at Brooklyn Perfume Company. Ambergris is a take on ambergris and doesn't smell only of ambergris (of which it contains a hefty amount), but of other compounds that emulate it and create a marine background. In the dry down, though, there is nothing but pure ambergris. It's very long lasting.
    I have, in fact, worked with a new combination of ouds to create the third edition. The second edition, which is the funkiest (I used a strong wild out) is a limited edition of 50. This new, third, edition is sweeter, but still contains plenty of funk.
    I'm really excited about Green Iris. I've been working on it for over a year, trying to get the smell of orris to persist and project. It is very green and very orrissy. I'm eager to hear feedback about it.
    Welcome, James. Thanks for participating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

I've been wondering about these and I love the idea of a chef working with perfumes. My partner is a fellow James Beard award winner and a big perfume enthusiast and my buddy who owns Mission Chinese just made a scent for Hawthorne with some Szechuan spice in it.

Basenotes Plus

I ordered samples, they are on their way.

((waving to James!!))

-- Eckhart Tolle

Gulp. I hope you like them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I ordered samples, they are on their way.

((waving to James!!))
    Please let us know what you think!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Please let us know what you think!
    I want to buy atomizers to spray them on (they're vials). Please hold!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Sniffed Ambergris from the vial. OMG it smells great. I can't wait to spray this on and wear it. ((excited))

-- Eckhart Tolle

These sound lovely, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Basenotes Plus

The Ambergris is a wonderful salty, fresh and well-behaved-animalic fragrance. Nothing too pedestrian (aquatic, etc) but also definitely gives you a smell of sea (algae, seaweed, sand) that is very well done.

I would love to own this.

I have not sampled the Green Iris yet.

-- Eckhart Tolle