Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 6 Months on Basenotes and living a fragrant life. 10 bullet points of things I have learned so f

As to 6., some new batches are not exactly like earlier ones, or at least that used to be the case when a much higher percentage of naturals were used (I'd like to know how many designer fragrances today are 100% synthetic!).

As to 7., I think that is a common reaction. However, once you've tried a whole bunch of fragrances you might think to yourself that something that you used to want to try you now have a sense of what it's likely to be, and so you can just go with a similar fragrance you already own or you can try a layering combination.

And as to 9., most of these "art work fragrances" I've found to be unwearable. My belief now is that there are only so many drydowns I want to deal with for hours, and while a new fragrance may be slightly different from what I already have AND find to be enjoyable, it's just not worth the time, money, and effort to concern myself with chasing yet another olfactory "pipe dream."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th June 2019 at 07:11 PM.

Default Re: 6 Months on Basenotes and living a fragrant life. 10 bullet points of things I have learned so f

Very astute points!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    As I'm about five years into this now, I'll concentrate on just this one point.

While it's true that the number of fragrances one wants to try keeps growing, I've found that the number of full bottles that I actually want to own is decreasing sharply. For instance, if I'd kept at my early level of buying I'd probably own several hundred bottles by now, most of which would be gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, or be squirrelled away in drawers or boxes, of no use to anyone. Somewhere after a year or two, I got a bit more discerning, slowed down on the impulse buys, the blind buys, and so forth. And eventually stopped buying things I merely liked or found pleasant or agreeable. And I disagree with those that say you shouldn't blind buy. Just be aware that it's gambling and keep it in moderation.

Presently, I could see a time where a minimal collection of say 12-20 bottles of stuff that I absolutely adored would be the desired goal, rather than some bloated collection of hundreds of bottles that look more like a museum exhibit. Oscar Wilde said

Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

...but he also said

Nothing is good in moderation. You cannot know good in anything until you have torn the heart out of it by excess.

Which I come to think of in relation to this topic as everyone's path is different, and for some, a larger collection is eminently preferable to a smaller one. Choose your own path.
    Very true.
    I own 15 bottles. I love them all. I wear them all.
    I have back ups of some of them.
    I dont want more.
    Best!
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Great post, painted klown. You have some excellent insights. I wanted to build on something that you said below as well as touched on by Diddy.

I agree with both comments, and I also think that it's not only skin chemistry or taste that affects what fragrances smell like. I'm convinced that we all have slightly different olfactory sensitivities. Anosmia is an example of that. Some people just can't smell some things that others do. And on the opposite end, some notes, ingredients or aromachemicals can overtrigger some individual's olfactory senses. The example that I have brought up in the past is cade, which is a concentrated tree oil is often used to create smoky, tobacco or resinous accords. It's typically made from juniper wood. The majority of people who smell a fragrance with cade it in will likely comment on its smokiness or leather or tobacco notes depending on the concentration and the complementary ingredients. However, for me personally, I'm very sensitive to cade and even modest amounts of it smell like burnt meat. I know there are others who react to it similarly, while the majority don't. I find this to be a prime example of why we each ought to try the juice ourselves and not rely on outside reviews, no matter how erudite those reviews are. They do help point one in the right direction, though!
    Amen.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

This thread is so so so cool. Thank painted_klown for such a sincere thoughtful post for all of us noobs. And thanks to all of you rad super members for coming in with such supportive insight. This whole thread made me so excited to continue to learn and to connect with all of you about your passions.

I also just want to add that I read all these comments like it was twitter and I just wanted to hit the like on all of them. Just awesome, everybody!
    Last edited by Proust_Madeleine; 17th June 2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: This thread is too good.

Excellent post!
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'll add a few extra to cover what hasn't been:

11: Despite popular fragrance community opinion that all all modern designers smell the same in the wake of predominant chemical use, fragrances have always had tropes which get abused, and you'll always find 2 or 3 predominant styles that filled a given decade of perfume history, so arguably perfume has always "all smelled the same" depending on what period of history you're digging into, like 70's green chypres. The only difference in modern times is since the rise of niche in the 90's, the market now offers us more outliers than before, so long as we're willing to pay the price, which runs from a teeny bit more to exponentially greater sums.

12: Not everyone is into fragrance for the same reason and has different motives or emotional responses to the scents they wear. Like it or not, some do it just for validation via compliments, or to attract romantic attention. Perfume is a tool for these folks so things like popularity or mass-appeal matter, and sometimes brand cachet. Likewise, some folks see bragging rights for owning expensive luxury brands, extremely limited artisanal lines, or rare vintages as an achievement in this hobby, so there is a pride of ownership aspect for those who collect fragrance. It's not always "fragrance as art or expression of individual taste" for everyone. For some of us, perfume is akin to jewelry aka "swag".

13: Since the only people who really "care" what batch, vintage, or brand cachet your fragrance is, or how natural/synthetic it is, what it's price is, how many compliments it fetches, or even what gender it has are knee-deep enthusiasts like us, you have to take a step back from all the talk here and decide if all this stuff matters to you too or not when making a purchase. If you do reviews or make threads and blog entries about the perfume you wear, it's fine to dissect a perfume that way, but unless there are rules about perfume in your workplace, the only person's sensibilities to consider are your own and maybe those of a significant other. That's it. Period. The rest is "for sake of argument" only.

14: Perfume has no commodity value other than what is assigned by those who make, sell, buy, swap, or resell it. Ingredients quality is but a fraction of production cost no matter what the marketing tells you, with labor from the perfumer, decadence of packaging, and marketing itself being a much larger slice of that cost pie. Scarcity is mostly an illusion with discontinued perfume, and prices are maintained or risen on speculation alone. Furthermore, so many people of varying incomes enjoy perfume that your idea of value per milliliter will vary wildly to somebody else. For you, a $100 Chanel might be a cheapie while a $500 Roja Dove might be higher end, but to someone else, Chanel might be top-tier while a $25 bottle of the latest Zara might be more their speed. Decide your own value.

15 This kinda goes without saying, but we're all very passionate here and some of us have trouble letting others enjoy things we don't like. Stop that. Somebody can disagree with you about whether or not Aventus is "King" or if any version of a scent past the first vintage "isn't the real stuff", or the validity of aromachemicals in perfume. If you have to erect a strawman or make an ad hominem attack to continue arguing over perfume, just remember that neither of you will likely ever have to smell each other anyway, so why bother making enemies? It's perfume, not politics or human rights. Let them enjoy their thing.

IMG_20180108_125612.jpg
    oh look, I have a signature

Freed from BN Institution

Very well thought out, much appreciated.Thanks for sharing this
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Wow!

I am humbled and pleased by the response this thread has received. Thank you to everyone who has chimed in and shared their thoughts and/or expansions on ideas tossed out by other members.

I see great insight given by all here, and am happy to have learned as much as I have from the members of this forum. There is truly a collection of great people and information gathered here. As another member posted above, I wish this forum had a like button for posts. I would use it a lot.

In my time here at BN, I have only had a single instance of someone calling me out for my ignorance. I was labeled as a troll (by a single member) in an Aventus clone thread, because I openly admit that I have never actually smelled Aventus. Even then, another poster jumped in and pointed me in a few directions I could obtain samples at a reasonable price. I'll do so as soon as I can.

I suppose the number one piece of advice that I break (a lot) is blind buying. Well over half of my purchases have been blind buys, but I have only purchased a single fragrance that I actively dislike, even though I quite enjoy the other two I have purchased from the same house.

Oddly, many of the fragrances I named in my OP, I do not actually own full bottles of. However, all of them are ones that I had samples of, and plan to hopefully purchase many of them in the future. Sometimes cost, or fear of not being able to get something in the future (discontinued or whatever) have kept me from buying some full bottles of fragrances I enjoy immensely. I feel like I jumped into the hobby way too late, and all of this great stuff I hear about is getting more difficult (or impossible) to find.

I have set rules for my purchases though. I never pay more than retail, full stop. This means no e-bay vintages for me. I also avoid paying full retail if at all possible. In my mind, Chanel and Maison Martin Margiela are essentially the only two (designer) brands that I cannot seem to find discounted anywhere. Having said that, I do not own any MMM, even though I am completely enamored by their Replica line, and I actually just bought my first full bottle of Chanel today as a Father's Day present to myself (BdC EDP). Sure, these self imposed rules limit what I can add to my collection, but there is SO much out there, that even sticking to these rules, I will never run out of stuff to buy.

Thanks again for reading and chiming in everyone. I enjoy the conversation.
    Last edited by painted_klown; 18th June 2019 at 04:31 AM.

Dependent

Congrats, you are now officially a frag head!

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    I feel like I jumped into the hobby way too late, and all of this great stuff I hear about is getting more difficult (or impossible) to find.
    No. There will always be new perfumes to buy because they are always being released. And a lot of the stuff that people find average now may very well end up getting discontinued in a few years and then people will start freaking out about those old discontinued fragrances as though they are holy water and ambrosia spritzed from the holy grail when a lot of people didn't really feel that strongly about them when they were readily available. A lot of stupid hype really deserves to be ignored.

Don't worry about chasing something down if you don't have it. After all, if you don't have it, then you don't even know what you're missing. You might not even like it at all except for the fact that some people on the Internet said it was good. And you're also alive, so not having it isn't killing you.
    Currently wearing: Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Great topic. Really nicely put.

I had two small 'bites' at getting in to fragrances. One in 2012ish, and then again in 2015. 6 months ago was the third bite and I made sure it's 'final' - that I'd stick it out until I've found something I really love and can wear for a long time.

Agree with most of the points, although I'm aiming more for 4-5 signature fragrances, ideally 1-2, rather than wearing something new everyday. I still cannot get my head around that approach, although I understand it's common enough. I absolutely agree you would get bored - I have, or rather, you accept that fragrance is more perfunctory after a while. But novelty and excitement isn't what I seek (although I understand the appeal, for sure, but I don't want it to be the 'aim'). I think it's a rabbithole if you take the other approach, and - although maybe not the place for it - I don't believe human beings are going to be able to produce and consume something as frivolous (albeit alluring) as perfume on the scale it currently is for much longer. Maybe 50-80 years or so until niche perfumery is back to being the reserve of the super wealthy.

If I could add one thing which might help a newer wearer, it's that actually wearing perfume is key. Perfume is so, so evocative - and nostalgic - that the associations of wear often colour our experience of that. The more you wear it, in different environments etc., the less you are beholden to it by memory and experience. Broaden the experience, and you broaden your appreciation, understanding, and opinion on it: another reason why I struggle with the novelty approach of a new perfume everyday, unless that's going in a frequent rotation. I get dismissing perfumes out of hand if you dislike them, but there's something magical about getting a waft of perfume 8 hours after applying on a cold winter's day, when you walk outside in to the bracing air - something calming, assuring about 'you' and yourself. These things never, ever get talked about, really, because so much of perfume collecting/buying is based on first impressions, testing on the hand etc. - my one piece of advice is actually wear the stuff as it's meant to be worn.

Your point about trying for yourself can never be repeated often enough. Every single fragrance I've been most letdown by was due to current hype - not a few reviews waxing lyrical, but a contemporary consensus that something is special, like Bentley Intense, most Creeds etc. Recommendations are good - hype is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    No. There will always be new perfumes to buy because they are always being released. And a lot of the stuff that people find average now may very well end up getting discontinued in a few years and then people will start freaking out about those old discontinued fragrances as though they are holy water and ambrosia spritzed from the holy grail when a lot of people didn't really feel that strongly about them when they were readily available. A lot of stupid hype really deserves to be ignored.
    This is a sentiment that I do see being brought up. Things that were once cheapies and/or largely ignored being discontinued and suddenly becoming like unicorn tears that MUST be in any collection. LOL!

Fortunately, some of the ones I wanted the most (DHI, DHP, ESP, Fahrenheit Parfum, AdG Essenza) I was eventually able to source, and at prices that weren't over their original retail prices. Many others, I haven't been as lucky with. Like I said though, there are so many fragrances that are available, that barring everything I cannot get, there's still more than I could ever purchase (or use) in a lifetime. Heck, I could probably stop buying fragrances altogether right now and be set for 10+ years.

Basenotes Plus

It is always nice to hear from you! Always much thought put in to your started threads. I appreciate that about you.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    It is always nice to hear from you! Always much thought put in to your started threads. I appreciate that about you.
    Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I don't have an extremely high post count here, but I read the forum daily, even if I don't post. I watch a lot of YT fragrance channels, and spend a lot of time thinking about, and sniffing at fragrances. When I got into the hobby, I felt as if I had been let in on a secret society or something. LOL! It really is a wonderful hobby that has brought me great pleasure, as well as anxiety (trying to find certain bottles).

At the end of the day, I probably overthink all of this stuff, so when I create threads, I try to post something that I hope others will find interesting to discuss. Not that I don't read/enjoy the usual recommendation threads. I discover a lot of fragrances that way.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I actually just bought my first full bottle of Chanel today as a Father's Day present to myself (BdC EDP).
    And I'm sure they'll be many more to follow.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I also avoid paying full retail if at all possible. In my mind, Chanel and Maison Martin Margiela are essentially the only two (designer) brands that I cannot seem to find discounted anywhere. Having said that, I do not own any MMM, even though I am completely enamored by their Replica line, and I actually just bought my first full bottle of Chanel today as a Father's Day present to myself (BdC EDP).
    Where do you live? In EU it's not a problem to find those brands discounted.
    P.S. Congratulations with purchase, BdC EdP, IMHO is one of the best designers out there

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Where do you live? In EU it's not a problem to find those brands discounted.
    P.S. Congratulations with purchase, BdC EdP, IMHO is one of the best designers out there
    Thank you, I have wanted it since discovering it upon entering the hobby. I'm pleased as punch to finally own it.

I live in the USA. It may not be impossible to find Chanel discounted somewhere, but I live in the midwest, and not in a major metropolitan area (Chicago, Dallas, etc) and I never see Chanel go on sale, or being heavily discounted online either. It comes down to having to pony up the dough, or not own their fragrances where I'm at. It's a bummer...

Thank you, I have wanted it since discovering it upon entering the hobby. I'm pleased as punch to finally own it.

I live in the USA. It may not be impossible to find Chanel discounted somewhere, but I live in the midwest, and not in a major metropolitan area (Chicago, Dallas, etc) and I never see Chanel go on sale, or being heavily discounted online either. It comes down to having to pony up the dough, or not own their fragrances where I'm at. It's a bummer...

Agree on the Chanel part. In the US and online I never see Chanel markdowns. I’m in the UK right now and Chanel is in every pharmacy with a discount(might have to grab a Pour Monsieur or Antaeus) .

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I will be reading here or watching YT, and someone will talk about a fragrance that sounds interesting, and I will want to try it. Perhaps this could be a personal problem, and I am just too easily influenced.
    You can order samples and/or get into sample swapping. You can find the right people to listen to, people who like what you like. It can take a while, but you can find people who are reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    might have to grab a Pour Monsieur or Antaeus
    Or?

I kid, it's just that those classic Chanel's are so great. Probably Anateus, though, right? The current version has something new and interesting, I think. It's a nice update.

9. Fragrance truly can be an art form. This point kind of ties in with point 8. Although I make fun of it mercilessly, I cannot deny that Secretions Magnifique is something to behold. Sincerely, I wish I could get along with this one, but it literally makes me start dry heaving upon smelling it. I think it's the strong metallic/blood note that does it. Remove that note, and it may not be nauseating.
    I think the better name for Secretions Magnifique would be "Slaughterhouse Intense".
    Someone reading your allusion to it as art, might be tempted to go and blind buy it.
    Which I suppose is okay, but I'd add a warning to also have a can of Ajax powder handy, as that was the only thing that could get that vile stuff off of my skin.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think the better name for Secretions Magnifique would be "Slaughterhouse Intense".
    Someone reading your allusion to it as art, might be tempted to go and blind buy it.
    Which I suppose is okay, but I'd add a warning to also have a can of Ajax powder handy, as that was the only thing that could get that vile stuff off of my skin.
    Regards,
    Renato
    After smelling it I watched several YT videos where people were showing it to unsuspecting friends, and I was surprised that it was largely described as a dirty urinal smell by several people. That is not at all what I got from it, and THAT would have been an improvement. As stated, I mostly detected a strong blood/metallic note that I found nauseating.

I put this on paper, but did get a little on my hand in the process. I was using dish soap, hand soap, shower gel, shampoo, etc in my efforts to get it off my skin to no avail. After describing it to my GF (she was out of the house that day), she was curious to smell it, and I told her she would need to take it outside to sniff, as I never want to smell it again. She has still never tried it...LOL!

I was labeled as a troll (by a single member) in an Aventus clone thread, because I openly admit that I have never actually smelled Aventus. :
    LOL..............
    sometimes that crowd can be very offensive if you are not positive about their beloved one.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

It took longer than six months, but I learned that Secretions Magnifique smells like a wet dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Or?

I kid, it's just that those classic Chanel's are so great. Probably Anateus, though, right? The current version has something new and interesting, I think. It's a nice update.
    That’s what I’m thinking too ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    LOL..............
    sometimes that crowd can be very offensive if you are not positive about their beloved one.
    Meh, I was just asking about the best alternative to CDNIM and ststed that I had never actually smelled Aventus. I didn't comment on the fragrance either way, as I am simply ignorant of what it actually smells like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It took longer than six months, but I learned that Secretions Magnifique smells like a wet dog.
    HAHAHA! I have heard the wet dog reference as well. I find it fascinating how we all perceive things so differently.

I have a couple clones of Tom Ford Black Orchid, and I have seen reviewers state that both of them are exact clones. I did an A-B-C test with all three one night, and none of them smelled the same to my nose. Sure, they all hinted at one another, but in no way would I consider either of the clones as satisfactory replacements for the TF. They were nice enough fragrances on their own merits, however.
    Last edited by painted_klown; 19th June 2019 at 03:40 AM.

After smelling it I watched several YT videos where people were showing it to unsuspecting friends, and I was surprised that it was largely described as a dirty urinal smell by several people. That is not at all what I got from it, and THAT would have been an improvement. As stated, I mostly detected a strong blood/metallic note that I found nauseating.

I put this on paper, but did get a little on my hand in the process. I was using dish soap, hand soap, shower gel, shampoo, etc in my efforts to get it off my skin to no avail. After describing it to my GF (she was out of the house that day), she was curious to smell it, and I told her she would need to take it outside to sniff, as I never want to smell it again. She has still never tried it...LOL!
    I had sprayed some on my wrist while at work - having gone out at lunch time to check out fragrances. Like you, I then tried every soap and cleaner in the work bathrooms and kitchenettes to try get it off, without success. Finally, after a miserable afternoon with the rank smell, I got home where the scouring power of Ajax did the trick.

I agree with you - it is not a dirty urinal smell at all, which is nowhere near as bad as this scent.

The odd part, having discussed this scent here over the years, is that about 10% of people think it's a fine scent.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Great post,
    I'd like to add two more points:
    - DON'T BLIND BUY
    I know you expressed this more or less, but I felt a need to specifically point it out
    - This hobby is quite expensive!
    I agree with these points as well. Blind buying is a crap shoot and can get really expensive. I was convinced (reading and watching reviews) that I would really like a fragrance only to be disappointed.

I might add another point which I believe is quite important in this hobby: Beware of conterfeit fragrances.
    Trying to save a few dollars by buying online from an Ebay seller with the rating below a 100% and fewer sales might lead to an unpleasant experience of receiving a bottle of pure fake.
    To avoid disappointment I always buy from either brick and mortar stores or online direct from the company or a reputable seller.
    P.S same with watches

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast