Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 6 Months on Basenotes and living a fragrant life. 10 bullet points of things I have learned so f

...yawn...!
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Default Re: 6 Months on Basenotes and living a fragrant life. 10 bullet points of things I have learned so f

6. Everything has been reformulated. 'Nuff said.

The drama this brings is crazy

Agree with many points but number 3 sticks out. The nose does learn the more it is exposed to
    Currently wearing: Oligarch by Roja Dove

Hard to disagree with the first 10 points (except for skin chemistry which is a myth, but I'm not here to derail the thread). There is one lesson which took me a lot longer than 6 months to learn. For 95% of us here who are shopping with limited means and limited amounts of discretionary income, you cannot buy everything that simply smells good, is well made, performs well etc. It has to also be you.

You need some qualifying criteria, some overarching theme in your collection that allows you to be choosy and discriminating otherwise the hobby turns into a money pit and half your collection feels like an ill-fitting (but exquisitely well-made!) shirt you borrowed from someone else. You're already on the right path OP because you've identified the accords you really like. I may not have a signature fragrance (who here really does) but on any given day I probably smell like patchouli, incense, myrrh, oakmoss, 80's powerhouse because that's the theme of my collection. Sure, I have the odd freshie here and there for the days that are too hot for anything else, but there's a continuity overall.

This is no disrespect to the few members here for whom cost isn't really an object - obviously they are in the ideal position to relax their buying criteria and buy what they want, when they want (much to our envy). But for me, setting strict limits was a huge part of spending responsibly, getting away from "the chase" and really appreciating my collection which has actually become very well curated to my tastes!
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    Hard to disagree with the first 10 points (except for skin chemistry which is a myth, but I'm not here to derail the thread).
    "Skin chemistry" is an inaccurate term, but I think folks who use it just mean a stand-in for "personal odor." After all, it's established that diet affects how you smell because of how stuff ends up excreted through sweat, so someone with a different diet than another individual may see some variance in how fragrances wear.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I've been on Basenotes for 15 years now and have been into this hobby for well over 25 years and if there's one thing that's WAY on the top of my list of things I've learned it's this …
    If you're a true fragrance collector and have the financial means to purchase at will then hey .. go for it. But for the rest of us and definitely for me, if I could do it all over again I would purchase the smallest decants of the fragrances I wanted to try and live with them until I decided they were full bottle worthy and something I would use regularly. I have about 150 full sized bottles in my collection now and I would have to live 10 lifetimes to use them all. I would also have at LEAST 20k more in the bank if I would've just purchased samples and decants instead of full sized bottles. Of the 150 or so in my collection, I can say I use maybe 15-20 regularly and a few I love for special occasions but the rest are just maybe once or twice a year.
    So for me that I'm not a "true" collector, the most valuable and expensive lesson I've learned is that I should've bought what I love and was going to use on a regular basis, and the rest just acquire in the form of decants. Just my 2 cents...

OP, you have learned a lot in your six months. Continue to keep your mind open.

Hard to disagree with the first 10 points (except for skin chemistry which is a myth, but I'm not here to derail the thread). There is one lesson which took me a lot longer than 6 months to learn. For 95% of us here who are shopping with limited means and limited amounts of discretionary income, you cannot buy everything that simply smells good, is well made, performs well etc. It has to also be you.

You need some qualifying criteria, some overarching theme in your collection that allows you to be choosy and discriminating otherwise the hobby turns into a money pit and half your collection feels like an ill-fitting (but exquisitely well-made!) shirt you borrowed from someone else. You're already on the right path OP because you've identified the accords you really like. I may not have a signature fragrance (who here really does) but on any given day I probably smell like patchouli, incense, myrrh, oakmoss, 80's powerhouse because that's the theme of my collection. Sure, I have the odd freshie here and there for the days that are too hot for anything else, but there's a continuity overall.

This is no disrespect to the few members here for whom cost isn't really an object - obviously they are in the ideal position to relax their buying criteria and buy what they want, when they want (much to our envy). But for me, setting strict limits was a huge part of spending responsibly, getting away from "the chase" and really appreciating my collection which has actually become very well curated to my tastes!
    i think this is key, you have to have your own style and this is what develops after more time with the hobby, a more nuanced sense of what works for you and is most enjoyable to wear. this is why you often see people expand their collection to great numbers of bottles before shrinking it back down again. it's an evolution and refinement, personally if i had to cut down to 10 scents forever it would be quite easy, even five would be doable. of course that isn't everyone, some people have different ends and ambitions, collecting pieces etc but for practical use that's the main trajectory as i see it.

the next frontier would be getting involved in perfumery at an artistic level which in my mind has so many more possibilites than just experiencing what others have come up with, beautiful as many of these creations are. so kudos to everyone who ends up going down this path

Agree with this wholeheartedly. So many scents are clearly poorly suited to most people, fitting certain 'types'. It's like women with leggings - yes, a high proportion of women wear them, irrespective of age, size, fitness, sense of style, occupation, personality, and at suitable/or not times, but that doesn't mean every single one is wearing them 'well'. The idea of 'wear what you want' seems a bit trite to me. Wear what is best for you - other peoples' perception/how you will be perceived matters in that regard. Don't just wear it because it's rare/expensive/considered good on basenotes. Self awareness is key.

Do disagree on the skin chemistry though. As mentioned above. Can confirm that certain scents definitly 'wear' differently depending on hydration, body temperate, and even my general health/diet at the time. Scent always operates in a context - the skin is never a blank slate. But I do agree skin chemistry is overstated somewhat ("my wife tried it on her and it smelt totally different" etc. - I'm calling bullshit).

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    But I do agree skin chemistry is overstated somewhat ("my wife tried it on her and it smelt totally different" etc. - I'm calling bullshit).
    My wife and I swap fragrances a lot. The "totally different" thing is exaggerated--the scent DNA is what it is--but I will say we often get different degrees of emphasis, and that can make or break the scent. In general, stuff tends to wear sweeter on her than it does on me.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Another bullet point that needs strong re-iteration is to have a sense of humor.
    And a bullet point to that bullet point is to lower your sense of self importance and don't take yourself so seriously.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Another bullet point that needs strong re-iteration is to have a sense of humor.
    And a bullet point to that bullet point is to lower your sense of self importance and don't take yourself so seriously.
    I agree with this 100%.

People often conflate having an opinion (whether detailed or blunt) as having an ego/sense of honor, when it really isn't. Once you hit that reply button, it's onto the next thing for most of us. I always make fun of myself before anyone else just to hit home the fact that I don't really care as much as my replies might come off. Text is a poor delivery medium for mood sometimes.

Nobody is sitting around saying "prove me wrong" and waiting for somebody to challenge what they said on a perfume forum for godsakes! For as much as I post, there are so many more times when I just read a thread full of replies I don't agree with and I just click onto the next thread. Live and let live, love what you love, and all that jazz. Locking horns over any hobby is a waste of passion IMO
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My wife and I swap fragrances a lot. The "totally different" thing is exaggerated--the scent DNA is what it is--but I will say we often get different degrees of emphasis, and that can make or break the scent. In general, stuff tends to wear sweeter on her than it does on me.
    On top of the skin chemistry thing, i dont think fragrances smell any different in the night or day, or whether im happy or sad. They contexually seem different, like a comedy movie seems different to you when you are hanging out with friends as opposed to just recieving word that a loved one has died. I couldnt enjoy Almost Heroes after that, but that didnt make the movie different. I would just no longer be in the mood to enjoy it. A skimpy dress at the supermarket seems out of place, but in a nightclub not so much.
    It is true sometimes i smell different facets, or heat and coolness can make a fragrance develope differently, but they do not smell completely different. No situation on earth could make Grand Soir smell like Mugler Cologne.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

i've learnt about refomulation and flankers. no reviewers on youtube offer any explanations for these terms and what they mean.

Good post! Especially agree with #3 and #10. Taste in fragrances does seem to change, especially if you suddenly caught the bug and never developed your tastes in this regard before. This is a great reason not to go on a buying spree at first, tempting as it may be, as you will probably end up with lots of unused bottles. And with regards to #10, it is all too easy to get sucked into one’s own little bubble regarding the importance of certain things. A good reminder that most people don’t care about your fragrance, as long as you don’t overspray.

If I may add another related point, in the same vein as what Pauer_Haus said. There are so many fragrances out there that smell nice or pleasant. Only buy the ones you truly love. It is easy to be overwhelmed when you first get into this hobby. Fragrances are made to smell nice, it would be odd if they generally didn’t. If you buy anything that smells pleasant, however, you’ll most likely end up with lots of bottles that you never use. Not because you no longer like them, but because you always find yourself reaching for something else.

Agree..especially bout really buy what you love.
    I now only buy 15 -30ml bottle or atmost 50ml, even though i love the scent a lot.
    For me the rush of hoping that it still there when I wanna buy it again is more exciting & scary good at the same time, & it makes me appreciate what i have more.
    If its gone or reformulate, well that's just give me excitement & excuse to explore something new & try something different again.
    I'm fine with missing out, cause there's still a lot option out there for everyone to discover.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

Out of interest - and there's no way of phrasing this without sounding like a sarcastic prick unfortunately, but thats not my intention - have you tried the same fragrance on a male (sibling, friend, colleague) and noticed any difference between how the scent smells on another person v how it smells on your own skin? Just so many variables make me query this notion of their somehow being a clear gender binary when it comes to scent variability. But it's just scepticism, not hard proof.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Out of interest - and there's no way of phrasing this without sounding like a sarcastic prick unfortunately, but thats not my intention - have you tried the same fragrance on a male (sibling, friend, colleague) and noticed any difference between how the scent smells on another person v how it smells on your own skin? Just so many variables make me query this notion of their somehow being a clear gender binary when it comes to scent variability. But it's just scepticism, not hard proof.
    I'm not drawing any gender binary and don't think I even hinted at one?

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Dead on. Don't take yourself too seriously and don't be a sheep.

Scents always smell different on other people, not least because you can walk away from them and go back towards them, or you can walk into range in a way that you can't do with yourself. Smelling fragrances on other people is a great way to decide if you like something, if you recognise a scent on someone, and how sprayed it is the you can suss quickly whether you'd like to give off a similar impression.

Testing on paper or your wrist only tells part of the story, and you have to be able to take all sorts of biases out of the equation. Using a decant and wearing something a good 10 times or more is normally a good way to find out if you really like something and to filter out any false gut reactions you might have had.

I'm not drawing any gender binary and don't think I even hinted at one?
    Right. I think because you were supporting the idea of "it smells TOTALLY different on my wife", with caveats, that gave the impression, so apologies.

I usually/only ever see that written in the context of a unisex fragrance where men are saying it smells masculine on them, feminine on a female - and vice versa - as if the feminine notes (sweetness, florals) are accentuated on a female, and the male notes (woods, spices?) on a male. The implication, or sometimes explicit suggestion, is that there is male skin chemistry and female skin chemistry. No doubt there is, but to have a marked difference in how the perfume wears? I struggle to believe that tbh, hence mentioning wearing it v smelling on another person. It would be easier for someone to compare between a man and a woman when they personally aren't wearing it - but I never see that brought up...

As with the points about not taking this too seriously - this isn't a hill I'm going to die on/accuse you of anything. Just an observation about perception, and how sometimes the old trickery of the mind seems to lead to urban myths/'common sense'.

I'd be hesitant to draw any gender binary.

To answer your earlier question, I've seen differentiation in how scents wear between myself and a male friend, too. Tabac Rouge's ginger note was very prominent on me, not so much on him.

Again, I don't believe things wear "totally" different. The scent is what it is. But based on experience, I do believe that, from person to person, you can get subtle shifts in emphasis that alters how a scent wears. Stuff has worn a bit "flat" on me that wears richer on my wife and vice versa.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Plus

I think it can be percieved differently for sure. But ultimately smell very similar. If a person were to have somebody walk up behind them wearing baccarat rouge 540, without looking i dont think almost anybody could tell if it was a man or woman wearing it by how the scent was wearing.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    f a person were to have somebody walk up behind them wearing baccarat rouge 540, without looking i dont think almost anybody could tell if it was a man or woman wearing it by how the scent was wearing.
    Of course you wouldn't. The idea of a scent wearing one way for an entire sex is absurd.

There's just as much biological variation within the sexes as there is between them.

All I'm saying is that scents can wear differently on different individual people, for whatever reason. My experiences indicate as much.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Of course you wouldn't. The idea of a scent wearing one way for an entire sex is absurd.

There's just as much biological variation within the sexes as there is between them.

All I'm saying is that scents can wear differently on different individual people, for whatever reason. My experiences indicate as much.
    I dont disagree that chemistry can make things, say, differently accented. I used BR 540 as my example because my wife and I have both worn it, and there was a bit of a different connotation it felt like. But I attribute that moreso to our individual perceptions and biases than to any actual fragrant difference. I didnt think we were disagreeing at all. I was actually hitting respond because i thought we were on the same side of the fence on this one. I was more going contrary to the OP #2 with my first post. I disagree with nothing you stated and generally believe in your nose and descriptions.

Basenotes Plus

Great post! I would add take your time and enjoy the hobby!
    Current Favorites:
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    MKF Aqua Universalis Forte
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 extrait
    Chanel Bleu Dr Chanel Eau de Parfum
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum
    Pure Distance M
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Ombre Leather
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Le labo Poivre 23

"Waste time wondering which "cologne" pulls better, and your genes will spread only by accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job"
    Luca Turin

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I dont disagree that chemistry can make things, say, differently accented. I used BR 540 as my example because my wife and I have both worn it, and there was a bit of a different connotation it felt like. But I attribute that moreso to our individual perceptions and biases than to any actual fragrant difference. I didnt think we were disagreeing at all. I was actually hitting respond because i thought we were on the same side of the fence on this one. I was more going contrary to the OP #2 with my first post. I disagree with nothing you stated and generally believe in your nose and descriptions.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your post.

Current Favorites

Ok, point #2 seems to have generated a bit of chatter here. I'll clarify by stating that I agree that putting the same fragrance on my GF and I doesn't magically transform it, but I do sincerely feel that it can alter my perception of it. Sometimes for better or worse.

My GF recently picked up a bottle of Gucci by Gucci a few days ago. When she sprayed it on, I lit up. "That's patchouli!" I exclaimed excitedly, as I love patch. I then asked her to hand me the bottle and I sprayed a couple of shots on my arm. Seemingly, the beautiful patch note went from dominating the foreground, to hovering way in the back. I was disappointed, and told her that it smells much better on her than me.

Was it a completely different fragrance? Of course not, but my perception of it changed greatly on my skin. It quickly went from a "love" to an "ok" fragrance in my mind.

It's things like that which led me to make point #2. Perhaps a bit of unintended hyperbole lies within my initial statement. That was not my intention, and I was merely posting my observations. Other fragrances do not change much at all on either of us, and some to a lesser extent than my Gucci example.

To add to the conversation: diet can have a big effect on personal scent. Someone I know has a *very* spice-heavy diet and they walk around smelling like spices a lot of the time. That's an extreme example, but that kinda thing is gonna shift how a fragrance wears.

Current Favorites

Since I inadvertently did kinda derail the thread I might as well weigh in. I believe that the only aspect of skin that has any effect on how a fragrance wears is skin temperature, which can be markedly different from one person to another and can accelerate or retard a fragrance's development through its various stages, and in extreme cases maybe affect projection and sillage.

Any claim beyond that ("skin chemistry" pushing various accords forward or backward in a composition etc) is mystical thinking at its best. Have you ever had the experience of having a significant other spray one of your fragrances in the bedroom (just in the air, no skin involved) without telling you, and needing to take a moment to figure out what was sprayed? If not, trust me, many of your fragrances can smell downright bizarre and foreign when you are not expecting to smell them. Factor that in with anosmia slowly blinding you throughout the day to various components of your (and others') fragrances, and factor that in with your olfactory system - a fluid system which fluctuates hour to hour based on hydration levels, diet, stress, hormones etc far more wildly than anything happening on the surface of your skin - and it becomes clear that there are far more rational explanations why things smell different on other people. The experience of opening the package, handling the bottle, pushing down the sprayer... they tap into your previous memories of wearing the fragrance and prime your senses to receive an experience similar to what you had last time. Take that ritual away as someone comes around the street corner bathed in the same stuff when you weren't expecting it - it smells like a different frag!
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast