Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Modern Masculine Lavender Fragrance

I've been on a lavender kick recently after buying Tom Ford's Lavender Extreme. I'm looking for a lavender fragrance that's both modern and masculine. Looking for that sharp herbal-floral note that smells like you've run your hand through the plant itself. Thankful for any suggestions you all have to share!

Default Re: Modern Masculine Lavender Fragrance

A fair question. The lavender-focused fragrances I use either are vintage (eg, Pour Un Homme) or seem quite traditional. I am no doubt spacing something out, but off hand I cannot come up with something that does to lavender what Mistral Patchouli or Javanese Patchouli, for example, does for patchouli.

Interested in the what the collective brain trust has to say.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    A fair question. The lavender-focused fragrances I use either are vintage (eg, Pour Un Homme) or seem quite traditional. I am no doubt spacing something out, but off hand I cannot come up with something that does to lavender what Mistral Patchouli or Javanese Patchouli, for example, does for patchouli.

Interested in the what the collective brain trust has to say.

I love this. It's both fruity from the pineapple and earthy from the patchouli.

Basenotes Plus

I think Caron Pour Un Homme is modern and wonderful. I have a vintage 1980s bottle but truthfully this is one where today's version is 99% as good as vintage.

*Following thread with interest*

tester.jpg

What about A Taste Of Heaven By Kilian - if Un Homme Pour Caron is often mentioned let's not forget its slightly darker sibling.
    Absinthe+Lavender+Tonka+Musk+Oakmoss

A trio of Tom Ford new fougers perhaps - Beau De Jour, Fougere Platine and Fougere D'Argent

Concurring with the others, the modern lavenders I like are of the smooth fougere variety (1725, Jersey) rather than the sharp one.

Have you tried Lush Dirty? Not lavender per se, but a mix of sharp, invigorating herbs, including lavender.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Suivez-Moi by Fragonard
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Antiheros by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Straight-up lavender & musk.

I have tried Dirty. What comes to mind in what I'm seeking is a sort of Dirty that's stripped of the overbearing tarragon/mint.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Concurring with the others, the modern lavenders I like are of the smooth fougere variety (1725, Jersey) rather than the sharp one.

Have you tried Lush Dirty? Not lavender per se, but a mix of sharp, invigorating herbs, including lavender.

cacio

This seems interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Antiheros by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Straight-up lavender & musk.

I get a very pronounced lavender accord in Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017). It's blended so well that it doesn't stand alone, but it's the kind of lavender note that smells sharp and fresh to my nose. Some have stated the Dior used real lavender oil in the composition. I don't know how factual the claim is but it does smell like it.

You'll probably hate this one (many seem to), but Sunshine Man is, for me, the epitome of modern lavender. I'd also second A Taste of Heaven.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Mauboussin pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Dependent

Perhaps Oxford & Cambridge by Czech and Speake?

A few twigs of mint and a sprinkling mediterranean herbs to lift the inherent freshness and accentuate the herbal aspect of a beautiful and very natural lavender. Oakmoss adds its almost marine aspect to the woods in the base, giving Oxford & Cambridge a modern touch.

Top lavender fragrance!
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Encens et Lavande

I love these two...

L'Occitan Eau de Toilette - L'Occitane en Provence
    Maybe not modern at all but the lavender is so, so nice and bright here. The contrast with black pepper is interesting.

Lavande 44 - Rania J
    Not your typical lavender but it is always present. This is my counter to the L'Occitan.

Basenotes Plus

Surely Dior Eau Noire qualifies as one?

Also I get a great herbal lavender kick in MDCI Invasion Barbare.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 30th June 2019 at 08:46 AM.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Dior Sauvage Parfum 2017 - The best in the business and all round fantastic fragrance.

Looks like I need to break out the samples of Sauvage Parfum that I received last week with my order of Balade Sauvage. Interestingly enough, I was going to just give them away after assuming it would be a more mellow and hefty version of the original.

Lavande Ombree by Au Pays de la Fleur d'Oranger

Spicy Lavender with leather, rose, cedar, cinnamon, patchouli and musk. One of the most potent, long-lasting lavenders I've ever smelled.
    Very unique as well. Definitely worth sampling.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Looks like I need to break out the samples of Sauvage Parfum that I received last week with my order of Balade Sauvage. Interestingly enough, I was going to just give them away after assuming it would be a more mellow and hefty version of the original.
    If you haven't checked the thread already please do as I expected pretty much the same until I actually inhaled it. Stunning scent with outstanding performance.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Lavender and Myrrh are the main notes that I detect in Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017 (especially past the opening) and they play well together.

Basenotes Plus

For a natural green rustic lavender I'd highly recommend sampling Cartier L'Heure Vertueuse III.

I get a lot of sharp, herbal lavender in Houbigant Fougere Royale, which may share the name of a very old fragrance but, in its current form, it really only dates back to 2010, which was when the fragrance was reinvented by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux.

If you're fond of the recent Tom Ford riffs on the fougere, and given your enthusiasm for Lavender Extreme, you'd seem to be, you should get ahold of a sample of this Houbigant release.
    Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Extreme

Basenotes Plus

I really like Tom Ford beau d Jour.

Seconding especially Caron pour un Homme and l'Occitan, other than these, also adding two Penhaligon's fragrances: Endymion EDC as romantic, moderate projection, nearly gourmand modern lavender, while Sartorial by the same house has a stronger boardroom/office/workplace appropriate type of lavender note with just a bit more formality, less sweetness, freshness, timeless elegance

Ended up buying Lavande Ombree by Au Pays De La Fleur D'Oranger based on a few reviews and the suggestion here.

Does anyone know the difference between the Caron fragrances in terms of how they smell? I see that they're pretty much the same...but is it worth seeking out the vintage or does the newer stuff feel more "with the times?"

Are you referring to Caron pour un homme? There were some discussions. For me, the current one is still great and worth having. Vintage had a deeper base, but this doesn't bother me much, to me pour un homme was always about the simple and satisfying interplay of vanilla and lavender, which is still there.

I have not followed les plus belle lavandes de Caron (if it still exists), so cannot comment on that.

cacio