Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How Has Your Fashion Changed Through the Years?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Shemelimelle, oh, how I understand you here – a wave from another short-waisted, almost flat-chested person with delicate and bony shoulders!
    It's just that overall I'm probably of a bit sturdier build than you despite also naturally being on thinner side. I mostly look like two different people stacked on one another - a head slightly too small for my body, delicate shoulders and arms, flat-ish chest stacked on quite a curvy bottom, strong muscular legs and, yeah, quite wide ankles, too. High-waisted jeans would just accentuate it more so they are avoided like plague. (Empire-waist dresses tend to look quite good on me though because that kind of high waist does mask hips instead of accentuating them.)
    I hate it when I put a bit more weight (basically anything from still very healthy BMI of 21 looks a bit off on me), as all of it goes straight to my cheeks, lower belly and hips and nowhere else, so I start looking very disproportionate and like an actual Christmas tree with a tiny head, delicate shoulders and, well, bottom-heavy bottom
    But basically I have accepted the peculiarities of my body and I feel comfortable in it - it just took some time to start seeing what actually fits me and what doesn't.

Zealot_Crusader, it seems like your hair is getting shorter and shorter and your beard is getting bigger and bigger! I do love your style 15 years ago - that coat! <3
    And it's great to see quite a lot of fellow metalheads out there in this fragrant forum!

as for me -
    I'm in my very early 30's. When I was a kid, I grew up quite poorly (though we always had our home and food on our table, so nothing out of the norm) and it was only later when we became more well-off. In my early years I was mostly dressed in old clothes of my cousins and older kids of family friends (girls and boys clothing alike - I always preferred the boys' clothes though and I liked red and blue clothes the most).
    When I was 9–12, puberty started a bit early and I started hating being a girl (it was basically because I still was such a child and dealing with menstruations and first sports bras that early felt a bit traumatic to me), so I basically dressed in boyish jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, hoodies and baseball caps. If you have ever seen a telenovella Muneca Brava and know how Milagros/Cholito looked, you've seen me in these years - I even had a red baseball cap. (It's just I never was as pretty as Natalia Oreiro - but who as an ordinary person could be?)
    In later teens I finally accepted that I'm actually a girl and started wearing boot-cut jeans, tighter clothing and occasionally even a skirt, but my general preference of style has always remained a bit boyish and I have always felt the most beautiful and most "me" in jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies and plaid shirts. Since 13 I started listening to rock music (and later started dabbing my feet into metal, too) and that reflected in my looks - converses, dark colours, leather bracelets and general grunge-y look with ripped jeans, oversize plaid shirts and so on.
    In my early twenties as my musical preferences gradually got heavier and darker I gradually adopted a more metal look with some dabbing into goth styles (but not by much, as I always preferred functionality and comfortability in clothes and that just doesn't go with goth aesthetics at all) and basically went black without looking back. Combat boots (or Converses, or Adidas Allstars, or platform boots), black or grey jeans, metal t-shirts or tank-tops and leather jackets with huge amount of leather and metal bracelets was my usual/casual go-to look, and I wore black or deep red skirts and fishnets or some kind of little black dress with stripey stockings when dressing up.
    Nowadays my looks are still quite similar to my 20s but I do start wearing some colours again occasionally (I do have several red, blue, purple and green summer dresses, haha), though I do feel a bit uncomfortable when I have nothing black on me – like I would be cosplaying someone else who is not me. Black is my comfort colour. My overall style has always been a bit adolescent-ish with the love for ripped jeans, leathers, stripes, plaid things etc. and I don't see it going away.
    I would put some photos if I knew how to do it, but I guess I painted quite an imaginable picture with my words already.
    Thanks! I had to clean up for my chosen profession, but I still crank the Kreator and Napalm Death, despite looking like I listen to Michael Buble.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Voyageur by Jean Patou

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    There is an old, Victorian dress design with a shape that resembles an upside down cone or upright Christmas Tree in Godey’s Lady’s Book, with no cinched waist in sight! An oddity of a shape you nailed by description, ClockworkAlice.
    I'll know where to look at for clothes if I ever put more weight on me again!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Thanks! I had to clean up for my chosen profession, but I still crank the Kreator and Napalm Death, despite looking like I listen to Michael Buble.
    Haha!
    I can imagine it must be fun humming PLEASURE TO KILLLLL deep inside your head while looking after the order in the city and looking innocently calm!
    \m/

Full sportswear together with shaved heads and angry faces was especially popular in Lithuanian suburbs and small towns during 90s-00s among the kind of people who have a tendency to cause problems to everyone nearby and end up in jails eventually. I'm happy to see exponentially less of that kind of people nowadays.
    Hey, don't knock shaved heads, some of us have to rock that look 'cause we don't have much hair left and it looks way better than a comb-over

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    Hey, don't knock shaved heads, some of us have to rock that look 'cause we don't have much hair left and it looks way better than a comb-over
    I don't - and I'm sorry if it sounded like I do! Shaved heads can and do look great - it's just that particular combination with full sportswear while not doing sports, angry face and mouth full of swearwords that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and not the isolated parts of that look
    Please walk with your shaved head held high!

I don't - and I'm sorry if it sounded like I do! Shaved heads can and do look great - it's just that particular combination with full sportswear while not doing sports, angry face and mouth full of swearwords that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and not the isolated parts of that look
    Please walk with your shaved head held high!
    No worries, I was just teasing!

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    No worries, I was just teasing!
    I suspected so - but it's better to take a safer route and apologize before getting a guy with a shaved head angry!

In was lean in my twenties and thus I could don tighter clothes such as jeans, crop tops, body hugging hoodies, body cons and mini skirts, capri pants that were popular in the 2000s. I am now in my late thirties and after three pregnancies, I have gained a ton of body fat especially around the midsection and I can only envy those in some of my previous outfits. My profession demands style so sometimes I have to shape up a bit with a waist trainer for weight loss when I want to wear something like a body con. Otherwise dress shirts, low heels, high-waist jeans, trench coats etc are my norm.
    Last edited by Sydneycl; 19th July 2019 at 08:42 PM.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

In my youth and in my early teens my mother sewed all my clothes. Whatever fashion that was in style then, available in patterns, was what I wore.

Late teens to early twenties I wore jeans, hand-me-downs from friends (I was always broke), and clearance rack fashion.

Mid twenties I was Metal Head meets Bohemian.

My thirties, I wore what was trending or I created my own looks.

Forties to now, I'm all about comfort. Decorative t-shirts, basketball shorts, leggings, the occasional skirt.
    Currently wearing: Siwa by Memo

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Buble is more hardcore than either of those.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Forties to now, I'm all about comfort. Decorative t-shirts, basketball shorts, leggings, the occasional skirt.
    Uh oh!

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Uh oh!
    I'm currently not working. No need to dress up. So, I don't.
    Currently wearing: Siwa by Memo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Buble is more hardcore than either of those.
    Loving the idea of hardcore Michael Buble.

Hmm. As a teen (living in the golden age of thrift stores) it was cotton dresses from the 1950s and combat boots or converse high tops; often stretch pants and a sweater, and I had a mohawk. (Also was eating disordered and hella long and skinny, big feet, coltish.) Spent a lot of time in leotards and tights too.

When I was having kids, I had not money so just a limited wardrobe of pretty good work clothes and not really much of anything for casual wear. Some leggings and t-shirts.

Now I have natural hair, still rocking the stretch pants, thrift stores are all picked over by etsy sellers, I'm at a healthy weight for my height, and I would say my style is simple and comfortable? To fit my body type it's almost always pants not dresses (I'm not particularly curvy), somewhat body-conscious, plenty of skinny pants and/or tighter, stretchier stuff, I still spend most of my clothing budget on shoes, but I have a much more extensive casual wear wardrobe now. Jeans, joggers, lots of thin long sleeved t shirts that work for office or casual. Still wear the converse as casual shoes but usually low top now.

I can feel it evolving toward ever stretchier, more comfortable clothing and am trying to navigate this without becoming dumpy! But dammit I need to be comfortable to feel good and I certainly look better when feeling good.