Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Cool How Has Your Fashion Changed Through the Years?

I'm in my 40's and do a lot of my shopping at Express and J Crew. I like to dress nice but most of the time I keep things pretty casual. Tshirt and jeans of khaki shorts. My 30's was pretty much the same, though I had a lot of dress shirts back then for going out on the weekends.

In my 20's I was wearing cargo shorts or bootcut jean, usually from Abercrombie. It was the early 2000's and I usually tried to keep up on what was popular and new. I still do but I'm more stuck in my ways than I was back then.

My teenage years, the 90's, I definitely wore me some carpenter jeans. lol I had plaid shirts galore back then and a few oxford shirts, both of which have surged back in popularity. They're just not as baggy as they were back then. Thank God.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Default Re: How Has Your Fashion Changed Through the Years?

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Shemelimelle. I expected to hear from you.
    I forgot my preteens...it's hard to remember. Probably sweatpants and Star Wars and Cincinnati Reds shirts? I've come full circle, that's what I wear now! haha!

Through my 20s, I simply didn't care. So probably I was wearing jeans and shirt, or whatever my mom gave me.

Then I started to follow fashion a bit more, so from more minimalistic style to a bit more flamboyant (but not too much) now, and with japanese style throughout.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

In my 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond - formal wear - suits to work. When I was in my 20s and at home casual wear. Now that I am retired whatever I feel inclined to wear.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Actually, an evolution quite less predictable/expectable and rather counterintuitive:

teens to early-mid 20s, though having a sizable casual wardrobe to choose from, far more inspired by dandified fashion style, often with a vintage influence and extremely formal and overdressed even if not remotely necessary and/or required by dress codes,

- nowadays very casual, mostly jeans, t-shirts, (when the weather gets colder) sweaters/cardigans, very occasionally and infrequently slightly "dolled up" by a long sleeved shirt, scarves/ascots, loafers/dress shoes, polo shirts, more formal, conservatively cut overcoats and jackets, more frequently through wearing pricier and more daring fragrances and wristwatches as the ultimate and most striking luxury/extravagance

I didn't start taking fashion seriously until I was well into my twenties.

In high school and college, I mostly dressed quasi-preppy: polo shirts and collared shirts with plaid shorts, etc.

These days, I do my best to dress like an expat who's been working overtime to spend his last dollar before he dies.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

I used to wear skirt suits and 3-4 inch heels to work and dressed well on the weekends.

My shoe size changed with each pregnancy and I can no longer wear heels. I got bigger (aka fatter) and had a harder time losing the baby weight after each child. I have a tendency to wear clothing to work that is closer to a uniform and will buy 3 pairs of the same pants or skirts if they fit well. I also have a hard time finding tops that fit due to my bust size. I don't like it, but it's what I have to work with. I have a tendency to wear a lot of cardigans because of it.

I did change from business most days to business casual or a casual Friday look. I don't focus on name brands anymore but rather what looks good and fits.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post

Me 5 years ago

Five years ago you had somewhat questionable taste in purses.

<jk> <zc knows I love him>

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Five years ago you had somewhat questionable taste in purses.

<jk> <zc knows I love him>
    Questionable taste in scented candles too (Bath & Body Works bag)

It's great to read about and imagine basenoters' styles. Thanks so much for sharing the descriptions, people.

While working, for many years I had to wear professional clothes, suits and heels—and panty hose—ugh! Now that I don't have to work any more or get dressed up very often I dress just like I did at age 11, my favourite style year: jeans and a loose cotton t-shirt or long-sleeved top, frivolous socks and good quality shoes, not too high, or sandals (my mother always insisted on good quality shoes ). The main difference is over the years I have developed a penchant for vintage thrift jewelry and watches, none of which did I wear as a child. As well, I have added linen separates for summer wear. Cool and comfortable.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    ZC, is that a paper Starbucks coffee cup I see standing amongst your crowd of fumes? On the top shelf there, because I’m thinking of the blueberry Cheerios box I’ve got sitting on top of my fridge, begging to be photographed a second time, this time from the back, with its kids’ games and blueberry fun fact. Thanks for sharing the chronological pics of yourself! I think I might include a childhood pic of myself wearing my geeky school uniform for my next vintage pic. Oh yeah, and I’ve had three Yankee Candles in the holiday scents. Now I just have UNUM LAVS.

FiveoaksBouquet, I also have a penchant for vintage thrift jewelry. I like to layer necklaces of different lengths. I also have a large treasure of jelly bracelets.
    It is! I keep two Starbucks cups with whole beans in the glass cabinet to keep the mixed perfume smell down. Also good for guests to sniff when testing.

ZC, is that a paper Starbucks coffee cup I see standing amongst your crowd of fumes? On the top shelf there, because I’m thinking of the blueberry Cheerios box I’ve got sitting on top of my fridge, begging to be photographed a second time, this time from the back, with its kids’ games and blueberry fun fact. Thanks for sharing the chronological pics of yourself! I think I might include a childhood pic of myself wearing my geeky school uniform for my next vintage pic. Oh yeah, and I’ve had three Yankee Candles in the holiday scents. Now I just have UNUM LAVS.

FiveoaksBouquet, I also have a penchant for vintage thrift jewelry. I like to layer necklaces of different lengths. I also have a large treasure of jelly bracelets.
    Leave us hanging, why don't you. What's the blueberry fun fact?

Cool Re: How Has Your Fashion Changed Through the Years?

ZC, so the coffee beans really work?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I used to see dishes of them placed all over the Sephoras in the ‘90s. I had no idea! I thought the coffee beans were a store gimmick!
    All of the frag shops have coffee beans, no? Sephora, Ulta, Macy's, JC Penney's, Saks. They all do.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

ZC, so the coffee beans really work?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I used to see dishes of them placed all over the Sephoras in the ‘90s. I had no idea! I thought the coffee beans were a store gimmick!
    They do work but they go stale after they've absorbed so much and dried out.

I think over time I became more comfortable being "weird" and individual with fashion, whereas before I used to play it very much safe and kind of go for pieces that were more classic and with which I felt as though I could blend in the background more easily (white T-shirts, blue jeans, Converse sneakers, that kind of combo, which actually looks amazing on the right person, but was never really me, and it took me a while to figure that out). These days I'm very much veering into the territory the Olsen twins are in these days (layered oversized clothes (mostly dark and jewel-tones) stacked with odd "one-of-a-kind" find accessories and the random pop of colour or more modern piece here and there).

(Edit: I tried to add some pictures so it'd be easier to imagine, but for some reason this was the only one that showed up, so. Still, I want everything Ashley (on the right) is wearing here)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Junkie

No, but that is because I am rather young still (21). I am pretty casual - jeans and a tee shirt - most of the time. I'm not likely to be strutting around campus in a suit or anything. However, I am trying to be a little more experimental with fashion and wear more unique items. I also love buying designer, and I keep a "minimalist" wardrobe in the sense that I do not have tons of clothes.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Handsome fellow, you are...
    Sono strano e sono orgoglioso di essorlo...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by andthehearts View Post
    Still, I want everything Ashley (on the right) is wearing here)
    She looks like she stole every piece of her outfit from Stevie Nick's closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    She looks like she stole every piece of her outfit from Stevie Nick's closet.
    !!! She does!! Never thought of that before but yes!! (On a side note: yeah, I'd happily raid Stevie's closet any time too hehe)

I'm 24, so it hasn't changed immensely. When I was in my teens I was overweight and didn't really care about fashion that much - lots of cargo shorts and hoodies. When I was around 19 though, I lost a lot of weight, and started getting into fashion. It was the age of skinny jeans, flannels, eccentric patterns, cardigans, etc., i.e. hipster fashion, so that's what I started out with. Over time, I got more into prep kind of stuff as well as minimalism, so my style now is kind of a weird hybrid. I'm also a teacher who dresses business casual everyday, so I don't have an abundance of overly casual stuff. Staples of my wardrobe are slim tailored chinos, OCBDs, henleys, popover shirts/mao collar stuff for summer, lambswool and cashmere sweaters, usually cable knit and turtlenecks, taupe suede boots, brown/black penny loafers, black Clark Desert Mali boots, clean white minimalist sneakers, duffel coat/suede jacket/padded bomber for winter, and a lightwash denim jacket for all seasons. The main development - and this goes for fragrance as well - is that when I started out, I was all about quantity and getting things for cheap. I was a poor university student after all. Now that I have a decent job, I've come to value quality and a pared down wardrobe of well made, versatile pieces over having a huge, trendy wardrobe. I do follow some trends, but I've got my own style too.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Argggh! Some embarrassing choices early on when my hormones went berserk.
    found 'vintage' in my mid teens before but was trendy so could pick up some nice old school quality for change.
    Was an out there creative kid so altered pieces to stand out and so they fit proper.
    Changeable I'd say, some days old school retro tracking tops, others hippie chic ( yep I was a bit of a stoner &#128565
    Then my mod and folk hippy triple music phase ( think Paul Weller hair , floral shirts, parka and slim silhouette). Bad bwoy old school Harrington's and suede loafers!
    Then a 'black' phase at art school (me against the world!)
    Brief stint in sales made me aware of perceptions and there I was suited and booted daily.
    Then more casual smart since about 2006 when I started my own design practice.
    Ties by day, cravats by night! ( A nod to the hippie trippyness )
    2015+ less is more. I found norm-core !
    Smart 'uniform' no more no less. No faff. Smart shoes, smart dark indigo jeans, French cuff shirts, blazer and Mac. 6-7 days a week.
    Hitting middle age hard, the less decisions the better, comfortable in myswlf ( no need to 'stand out'), spreadsheets are no longer the enemy!!
    Plus I have an affinity to the good old time now, when gents were gents and dressed like it. None of this abhorrent 'sportswear' malarkey.
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Jeans for years, then chinos, a dabbling in slacks, then back to jeans.

Back then:
    whatever’s in-trend

Nowadays:
    updated classics, old Hollywood gentleman style

But the unforgiving weather does impose some serious restrictions to my wardrobe options.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

I'm not sure that I ever did "fashion" per se, in the the sense of trends that last for a season or two. I was always quite casual, but in the last year or so, I've started to move more towards classic menswear styles. Less jeans and t-shirts, more slacks/button downs/sportscoats. Definitely dressier shoes, and no athletic shoes outside of athletic activities.

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    Definitely dressier shoes, and no athletic shoes outside of athletic activities.
    Same.

Unless very intentionally styled, athletic wear tends to make you look like you carelessly grabbed stuff out of your drawer.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Same.

Unless very intentionally styled, athletic wear tends to make you look like you carelessly grabbed stuff out of your drawer.
    Agreed. When one learns that dressier doesn't necessarily mean less comfortable, a whole new world opens up.

Shemelimelle, oh, how I understand you here – a wave from another short-waisted, almost flat-chested person with delicate and bony shoulders!
    It's just that overall I'm probably of a bit sturdier build than you despite also naturally being on thinner side. I mostly look like two different people stacked on one another - a head slightly too small for my body, delicate shoulders and arms, flat-ish chest stacked on quite a curvy bottom, strong muscular legs and, yeah, quite wide ankles, too. High-waisted jeans would just accentuate it more so they are avoided like plague. (Empire-waist dresses tend to look quite good on me though because that kind of high waist does mask hips instead of accentuating them.)
    I hate it when I put a bit more weight (basically anything from still very healthy BMI of 21 looks a bit off on me), as all of it goes straight to my cheeks, lower belly and hips and nowhere else, so I start looking very disproportionate and like an actual Christmas tree with a tiny head, delicate shoulders and, well, bottom-heavy bottom
    But basically I have accepted the peculiarities of my body and I feel comfortable in it - it just took some time to start seeing what actually fits me and what doesn't.

Zealot_Crusader, it seems like your hair is getting shorter and shorter and your beard is getting bigger and bigger! I do love your style 15 years ago - that coat! <3
    And it's great to see quite a lot of fellow metalheads out there in this fragrant forum!

as for me -
    I'm in my very early 30's. When I was a kid, I grew up quite poorly (though we always had our home and food on our table, so nothing out of the norm) and it was only later when we became more well-off. In my early years I was mostly dressed in old clothes of my cousins and older kids of family friends (girls and boys clothing alike - I always preferred the boys' clothes though and I liked red and blue clothes the most).
    When I was 9–12, puberty started a bit early and I started hating being a girl (it was basically because I still was such a child and dealing with menstruations and first sports bras that early felt a bit traumatic to me), so I basically dressed in boyish jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, hoodies and baseball caps. If you have ever seen a telenovella Muneca Brava and know how Milagros/Cholito looked, you've seen me in these years - I even had a red baseball cap. (It's just I never was as pretty as Natalia Oreiro - but who as an ordinary person could be?)
    In later teens I finally accepted that I'm actually a girl and started wearing boot-cut jeans, tighter clothing and occasionally even a skirt, but my general preference of style has always remained a bit boyish and I have always felt the most beautiful and most "me" in jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies and plaid shirts. Since 13 I started listening to rock music (and later started dabbing my feet into metal, too) and that reflected in my looks - converses, dark colours, leather bracelets and general grunge-y look with ripped jeans, oversize plaid shirts and so on.
    In my early twenties as my musical preferences gradually got heavier and darker I gradually adopted a more metal look with some dabbing into goth styles (but not by much, as I always preferred functionality and comfortability in clothes and that just doesn't go with goth aesthetics at all) and basically went black without looking back. Combat boots (or Converses, or Adidas Allstars, or platform boots), black or grey jeans, metal t-shirts or tank-tops and leather jackets with huge amount of leather and metal bracelets was my usual/casual go-to look, and I wore black or deep red skirts and fishnets or some kind of little black dress with stripey stockings when dressing up.
    Nowadays my looks are still quite similar to my 20s but I do start wearing some colours again occasionally (I do have several red, blue, purple and green summer dresses, haha), though I do feel a bit uncomfortable when I have nothing black on me – like I would be cosplaying someone else who is not me. Black is my comfort colour. My overall style has always been a bit adolescent-ish with the love for ripped jeans, leathers, stripes, plaid things etc. and I don't see it going away.
    I would put some photos if I knew how to do it, but I guess I painted quite an imaginable picture with my words already.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Same.

Lol not to knock anyone's choice of dress - but yeah we have a overwhelming trend of full sportswear here in the UK - training top/shell, jogging pants and obnoxiously priced air bubble footwear - honestly - I swear it makes people look like grown up toddlers!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Lol not to knock anyone's choice of dress - but yeah we have a overwhelming trend of full sportswear here in the UK - training top/shell, jogging pants and obnoxiously priced air bubble footwear - honestly - I swear it makes people look like grown up toddlers!
    Full sportswear together with shaved heads and angry faces was especially popular in Lithuanian suburbs and small towns during 90s-00s among the kind of people who have a tendency to cause problems to everyone nearby and end up in jails eventually. I'm happy to see exponentially less of that kind of people nowadays.