Code of Conduct

Default Copycat Fragrances - Good, Bad or Ugly?

Hey

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Recently Iíve been doing a lot of online browsing of fragrances as I was looking to pick up something for Fathers Day and also my Brothers birthday. In typical internet ďstalkerĒ fashion Iíve now found myself flooded with adverts across my general browsing and social media, one of the repeat offenders is that of a UK based company called Copycat Fragrances, now Iíve seen these guys before and they pop-up from time-to-time but Iíve never pulled the trigger on buying from them (Buying an actual copy would mess with my moral compass) but, I do travel a lot for work and would much rather pack something that if it were to get lost/damaged it wouldnít feel like as much of a loss, anyway Iím rambling so had better put this into a question... so, has anyone tried anything from Copycat Fragrances and what did you think of it? Iíve seen a few videos of people reviewing the products but Iím dubious as to if these are legitimate opinions or bought ones.

Enjoy your Wednesday!
    XIII
    My Most Complimented:

1). Aventus - Creed
    2). Sauvage - Dior
    3). Allure Homme Sport - Chanel
    4). L'Homme - Prada
    5). Acqua Di Gio Profumo - Giorgio Armani
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Banned

Default Re: Copycat Fragrances - Good, Bad or Ugly?

In my experience the vast majority of clonesharks are more miss than hit as they often only attempt to mimic the opening (poorly) and then segue into a nondescript base which entirely misses the entire charm of the original. That said I have tried quite a few (not the one you've listed though) just on the off chance that somebody actually did a decent job and haven't yet found anything that I'd replace the original with so will probably be reigning that kind of wasteful spending in as its such a false economy.

The real stays the real!

I agree. I've never found a good copycat, and I've bought several of them for my kids. When they were younger, they didn't know the difference. Now they're of high school age, and they know my collection, they're not that fond of them anymore either.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

No experience with Copycat Fragrances.

The few clones I've smelled that have been at all adequate seem to come from Middle Eastern perfume houses (Al Haramain, Armaf, Reyane, Al Rehab, Rasasi, Afnan, etc). Zara also have some that aren't terrible, just not very long lasting. In most cases though there's something not quite right enough to bother purchasing, Something two-dimensional or just plain cheap-smelling.

One exception might be Rasasi's La Yuqawam, which is close to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It's not exactly a clone, nor is it super cheap, but it costs about 1/3 the price of the Tom Ford and has similar nuclear performance.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des GarÁons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

"Remaking Expensive Fragrance X but on a shoestring budget" is a thankless job and it should come as no surprise to anyone that clone perfumers regularly fail at this task.

I'm sure there are good clones out there--but I bet you have to wade through a lot of garbage to find them.

(Now there's a difference to be made between a clone and a descendant; the former reproduces a template without any commendable innovation, the latter uses another fragrance as a basic template but refines it or takes it an interesting new direction.)
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Hťritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombrť Leather

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    No experience with Copycat Fragrances.

The few clones I've smelled that have been at all adequate seem to come from Middle Eastern perfume houses (Al Haramain, Armaf, Reyane, Al Rehab, Rasasi, Afnan, etc). Zara also have some that aren't terrible, just not very long lasting. In most cases though there's something not quite right enough to bother purchasing, Something two-dimensional or just plain cheap-smelling.

One exception might be Rasasi's La Yuqawam, which is close to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It's not exactly a clone, nor is it super cheap, but it costs about 1/3 the price of the Tom Ford and has similar nuclear performance.
    Same went for Pal Zileri Cuoio when it was still in circulation. Great stuff for the price.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

I find "imitation", "our version of" or "a copy of" fragrances from any manufacturer all to be "ugly" However, mass market scents that approximate another well established scent vary in terms of quality for me.
    Last edited by hednic; 19th June 2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I ordered the Xerjoff Lira dupe from Alexandria fragrances, Benjoin 19 from Dua and Baccarat Rouge 540 from Oil Perfumery, just out of idle curiosity. They were all wearable, clearly not exact copies. However I have smelled quite a few of the other Oil Perfumery dupes that were not good. I don’t plan to buy any more, but it was an interesting experiment. What surprised me most about the Alexandria dupe is it wasn’t all that cheap for a copy scent.

Ive only tried a couple, they were super cheap from oil perfumery so i figured why not just to see whats out there. The two i got were the tuscan leather clone and the aventus clone. The aventus one was bad, its wearable but pretty screechy the entire time. tried adding some oakmoss absolute to make it better and while it helped, it ended up in the trash. the tuscan leather was better but was mostly just leather and no depth to it really. i think i still have it somewhere but dont wear it. Wont be buying any more.

I don't remember then name, maybe Fragrance Imposters, but they sell gift sets around Christmastime at Wal Mart and they're passable to anyone who barely knows the difference. The had a copycat of A&F Fierce that was almost exact, though I suppose that isn't too hard to accomplish. lol
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I've purchased from this company. Tobacco vanille and git clone. Don't waste your money. The scents don't last very long. I got compliments for both. But after a while the scent is gone. Longevity is an issue. Won't be buying from them again

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I find "imitation", "our version of" or "a copy of" fragrances from any manufacturer all to be "ugly" However, mass market scents that approximate another well established scent vary in terms of quality for me.
    Likewise.

Also, I would rather buy a more affordable scent than an imitation of something I can't afford.

Dua, Parfume Vintage, Alexandra - these seem to be a step above. I ordered some samples from Dua and thought they were pretty good. I still think a decant is the best alternative as these new clone houses aren't cheap and for the same $$ you can often get a decent sized decant for the same amount as the cloned full bottle.

This way you can stay loyal to the original without getting totally fleeced for a full bottle.

Just my opinion, but it's not a bad way to go a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree with this sentiment. I've got no problems with established brands copying each other, but any brand who's main marketing strategy is to proclaim that its fragrances are a copy of something else is just cheesy and unimaginative.