Code of Conduct

Thread: Mazzolari Lei

Default Mazzolari Lei

I love patchouli, and I'm currently revisiting this note and exploring it further.

I've read a lot about Mazzolari Lui and Mazzolari Patchouli here on Basenotes, but nothing about Mazzolari Lei, which I understand being another patch-centered fragrance. Before acquiring samples of all three, I'd like to ask for your opinion about Lei. Is anyone familiar with it?
    Avatar artwork by Nananan Kiriko

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mazzolari Lei

Yes, I've tried all three from Mazzolari. They're all quality, but the standout for me is Lui. It's an animalic leathery patchouli. Their regular patchouli is a bit too defanged, ambery patchouli. It's nice, of course, and worth buying if that is your thing. Similarly, Lei is the softer, gentler version of Lui, the rawer masculine elements absent, replaced with a sweet but not cloying vanilla cacao backdrop. Quality sandalwood in the mix as well. Not exactly a gourmand, but trending that way. The patchouli in it seems to be their ambery patchouli, and has none of the dirty, damp earthier aspects.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Amazing fragrance and one of my favorites - a hot-chocolate smothered Shalimar with a musky labdanum and patch base that I find deliciously naughty. I think it's much better than, say, Shalimar Sur La Route du Mexique, and if you like soft, musky-ambery-intimate fragrances such as L'Ombre Fauve or Alamut, then you'll like this. Honestly, every time I spray Mazzolari Lei, I wonder why I'm not wearing it every day, it's that good. But don't take my word for it. I have a thing for it.

Thank you both for your detailed answers!

To give you some background, I tend to enjoy different aspects and incarnations of patchouli equally, ranging from raw and earthy to ambery and cocooning. (The only ones I can't do are fruitchoulis and the peppery-green, ISO E Super-laden types.)

ClaireV's description of Lei sounds incredibly appealing (L'Ombre Fauve and Shalimar Mexique are both gorgeous!), and I've been looking for a great, smooth patch-cacao combo for quite some time, so I think I'll take the plunge and also include Lei in my sample order.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NabiE View Post
    Thank you both for your detailed answers!

To give you some background, I tend to enjoy different aspects and incarnations of patchouli equally, ranging from raw and earthy to ambery and cocooning. (The only ones I can't do are fruitchoulis and the peppery-green, ISO E Super-laden types.)

ClaireV's description of Lei sounds incredibly appealing (L'Ombre Fauve and Shalimar Mexique are both gorgeous!), and I've been looking for a great, smooth patch-cacao combo for quite some time, so I think I'll take the plunge and also include Lei in my sample order.
    If you're into these patch-cacao combos, I strongly recommend

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens

Bond-T by Sammarco
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Thank you, Scarce! I had a tiny sample of Borneo 1834 and loved it. Basically, what I'm looking for is an easier-to-find replacement for it. I read about the Sammarco on Kafkaesque, and it sounds extremely interesting, even though the price point is a bit higher than I'd be comfortable with. Because of this, I'm a little reluctant to sample it

Basenotes Plus

Yes, both are pricey and Borneo 1834's price is now insane, both here and in Europe.

I haven't smelled anything comparable at lower price points. Guerlain's LIDGE or whatever the edp is called now has those elements, but in a safe, designer sort of way. Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier is quite cheap but smells cheap to my nose. Van Cleef and Arpels Moonlight Patchoul doesn't have much performance to speak of, and I'd rather not spray 10x to make it last longer. It's ok though, and you can find it at most discounters at less than half the list price. I can't vouch for this one, but Joop! Homme Extreme is said to have a lot of cacao and patchouli in it. As it's likely too sweet and bombastic, I've never tried it nor probably ever will unless I stumble upon it in a store.
    Most worn:

This sounds great, need to get a sample of it and the patchouli. Lui was too animalic for me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have never tried the female version, but the other two were not to my liking.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I ended up ordering samples of all three. I'll be back with my impressions!

After spending some time with all three, I'm ready to share my thoughts.

First, I have to say that I was really impressed with their quality. They all smell effortlessly refined and somewhat "classic" without actually being reminiscent of any specific classics. Their performance is exactly the way I like it: very good longevity paired with discreet (but clearly detectable) projection.

I agree that the Patchouli is probably the least special of the three: an amber-y patchouli with a drizzle of honey, it makes me think of a more nuanced Patchouli Leaves with a little more bite. I really like it, but it's certainly a little less unique than the others.

Lei is as beautiful as ClaireV described. In my words and perception, it's a feminine, cocooning veil reminiscent of Shalimar and its Mexique flanker, dominated by a soft, impalpable mix of cacao and opoponax (?). Personally, I don't smell a lot of patchouli in it.

Lui is everything I was expecting based on the reviews, but again, its subtle projection makes it more wearable than you'd think. Its dirty musky-leathery component and overall feeling makes me think of a no-nonsense man from the Mountain West (sorry for my stereotyping), but as a (female) lover of softly stinky animalic perfumes, I really enjoy wearing it as I find it very comforting.

Now I'm really curious about other perfumes from the line. Is there anything else which is as good? (Woody and/or orientals preferred).

Thanks for chiming in!

As an aside to NabiE, have you tried the Reminiscence Patchouli and what did you think of it? They don’t really have distribution in north america but I have seen it in europe.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    As an aside to NabiE, have you tried the Reminiscence Patchouli and what did you think of it? They don’t really have distribution in north america but I have seen it in europe.
    Yes, I'm familiar with it and I really like it! It's a labdanum-tinged patchouli which isn't missing the classic earthy edge. Certainly the best patch you can get at its price point. The only issue I have with it is that, at least on me, it's a projection bomb at the beginning but it fades out way too quickly.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NabiE View Post
    Yes, I'm familiar with it and I really like it! It's a labdanum-tinged patchouli which isn't missing the classic earthy edge. Certainly the best patch you can get at its price point. The only issue I have with it is that, at least on me, it's a projection bomb at the beginning but it fades out way too quickly.
    The older versions of the Reminiscence Patchouli were a much more straightforward 'hippie' rendition of patchouli, which made sense as it came out in 1970. It was marketed to women but to my sensibilities now it struck me as quite masculine, perhaps because it was so overt. Lasts forever (12hrs easily) and a projection monster (2 sprays was more than enough for me).

The modern version comes across as smoother, more subdued, and feminine. All the rough edges of the original removed. It could be worn as an office scent. None of these are meant as slights either, it's just different and made that way for modern tastes and sensibilities.

If the original sounds intriguing I'd definitely hunt around for it, as it shouldn't be very expensive. It will look like the one in the picture below, with the stars on the bottle.

Most worn:

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The older versions of the Reminiscence Patchouli were a much more straightforward 'hippie' rendition of patchouli, which made sense as it came out in 1970. It was marketed to women but to my sensibilities now it struck me as quite masculine, perhaps because it was so overt. Lasts forever (12hrs easily) and a projection monster (2 sprays was more than enough for me).

The modern version comes across as smoother, more subdued, and feminine. All the rough edges of the original removed. It could be worn as an office scent. None of these are meant as slights either, it's just different and made that way for modern tastes and sensibilities.

If the original sounds intriguing I'd definitely hunt around for it, as it shouldn't be very expensive. It will look like the one in the picture below, with the stars on the bottle.

Mine is a decant from this version and overall I'm very happy with it

Thank you NabiE and Scarce! I’ll have a look around for it.

As for the Mazzolari line, I only have the softer, feminine ones: Vaniglia, Alessandro and Marine. I will be ordering more samples for sure. I tried Lui in the past but it was a bit much for me.