Code of Conduct

Default Beene Bowling Green - Current Version

Good day all,

I am curious to hear your thoughts about whether the current version of Bowling Green available at discounters is worth picking up, or if I should hunt for vintage? I have read all the threads however I get conflicting opinions.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

Default Re: Beene Bowling Green - Current Version

The current version is quite good and is a bargain at current prices.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Junkie

I haven't tried the original, but the current one smells cheap and cloying to me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    I haven't tried the original, but the current one smells cheap and cloying to me.
    Both smell this way to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Haven't tried vintage, but like the current enough to have bought a back up bottle. I find the lemon verbena to be really nice.. a bit more on the candied citrus side than natural, but very good nevertheless. The dry down is just ok, but at like $16 a bottle, for 4 oz, I really have no complaints.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

They are both pretty good, with the vintage being a bit warmer as it evolves.

It's one I want to like more than I do. Something about it keeps me at arms length.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

Thanks for the replies! At current prices it might be worth picking up before it fades away!
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

Well...

For me, vintage is it, no questions.

However, if you have never tried the vintage then it might not matter to you.

I was hooked on the vintage, bought what I thought was a back-up bottle and was sorely disappointing when I smelled it. Just not the same - the moss/oakmoss in the vintage makes the jus what it is.

The vintage bottles (not packaging) must say 'New York' on the label otherwise it ain't the real deal
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Just bought the current 120ml version which is very good for the 11 euro payed.
    Especially first hrs are really enjoyable and best to described as a greener Drakkar Noir version added with some more citrus. The drydown is mossy, kind of spicy and close to the skin but present for quite some hrs.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Haven't tried vintage, but like the current enough to have bought a back up bottle. I find the lemon verbena to be really nice.. a bit more on the candied citrus side than natural, but very good nevertheless. The dry down is just ok, but at like $16 a bottle, for 4 oz, I really have no complaints.
    Sold away my vintage. Found it too a little too spicy and not in a good way. Haven’t seen the current version to check if it’s any better. I’d be surprised if a retailer makes any $ at those rock-bottom prices.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    I came to this conclusion also after liking it for a while (original or at least older bottles). Girlfriend, Japanese tourists, all moaned when I splashed myself with it generously. This of course meant that I applied even more of it and wore it longer than I otherwise would have as I refuse to let people influence my fragrance habits.