Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Pound for pound (or dollar, euro, whatever) what scents offer the most value?

Some good stuff in here already, although some stuff too that I would class as good in the cheapies category but wouldn't go near paying full retail for. Much as I love some Bogart scents, for example, not sure I would pay full retail for many of them (sorry, gents!).

I had to think long and hard about this as, to me, as much as something might smell technically accomplished and classy, it's never going to make my own top tier if it doesn't trigger an immediate smile on smelling it when it's hit my skin. Some of the classic Guerlains are fantastic value for money but from all the current versions I've tried, only current Jicky EDP has that effect, and possibly L'Heure Bleue too. Vintage is another story, of course.

I came up with three possible contenders for my nomination, and I'll give the runners up a mention below so it's a list-not-list (!).

Top spot for me goes to Van Cleef and Arpels Bois d'Iris. It wraps you in an effortlessly classy little scent bubble that genuinely has people leaning in to smell more. It punches above its weight at full retail, so the fact that you can pick it up for half that is an added bonus. Colin Maillard's review on here nails this one for me.

38380424_6fd37256-69d5-4f49-b275-543855f2013f_2048_3072.jpg

Honourable mention goes to Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose, which to me is more about resin than rose as it develops. The rose and saffron rules for the first hour or so and then it becomes a lovely rose-tinged blend of sweet, sweet myrrh on a backdrop of labdanum and incense. The mother smelt it on me and had to have a bottle of her own straight away, high praise from her as she's been into her perfumes for decades and wore Fahrenheit back in the day and reckons "it's just not the same these days!".

clhun0vrugbf.jpg

The Perfume Calligraphy Saffron flanker doesn't get much mention on here but it's as good in its own way as the Rose one. And Perfume Calligraphy itself is worth a sniff at the same kind of price point; it takes the standard oud-rose-patchouli trope and adds in a lot of myrrh and saffron. As elegant as Oud Ispahan to my nose, in that particular field.

Perfume-Calligraphy-Saffron-by-Aramis-Review-1.jpg

The last one that I almost plumped for is Cartier's Declaration which is just such an elegant, classy, unique scent that again is well worth full retail. A number of the flankers are worthy of high praise in their own right, particularly for me the parfum version. The EDT is one of the few loves I have that took a while to click with me - I tend to know at first sniff if I love something or not.

Declaration.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Feel free to post up a list and then run maniacally giggling off into the spectrum sunset if thats your thing but ideally I'd like to see one choice and your thoughts why as it just generates so much more discussion and allows one to free their passions whilst simultaneously focusing them. I'll get it started with:

L'erbolario - Meharees
    Lmao at the first part of this abridged quote. And we spoke about Meharees ages ago didn't we, matey. I never got around to digging out my bottle to revisit it so will try and do so this week - it was a blind buy for a stupid price for a partially used bottle on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Jaipur pour Homme by Boucheron. One of my favorite cheapies.
    This is fantastic and could have made my list-not-list above too. Much prefer the EDT to the EDP though - the EDP is too much of a spicy blob to me whereas the EDT, although still strong, has a much more airy feel to it and the heliotrope is more pronounced - which is always a winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post

Superb Black Orchid clone, Oud 24 hours. £12.50 for 100ml
    Yup. I picked up the roll-on in Birmingham's Rag Market for two or three quid. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    I'll take a stab at this one since I brought it up.

Encre Noire is a dark, 'inky' vetiver that succeeds or fails on how you react to a synthetic-smelling vetiver. There's a ton of Iso E super in it, which will give your nose a bit of a tingle but I guess is there to liven up the cypress and cashmere woods, and of course the vetiver itself. The net effect of which, to my way of thinking, imparts a grassy effect I find quite clever. At times I haven't been the biggest fan of Iso E Super but here it works quite well and really gives the lift this fragrance needs.

I see Encre Noire referred to as "smoky" quite often, but I don't get that. But then again, I wear some things that smell like borderline creosote so perhaps smoky just means different things to different people. It's dark, but suprisingly versatile, and can be worn equally well in the winter or in the heat of summer. My only minor complaints are that there isn't much development here, it just comes and goes, and doesn't last well for more than 6 hrs or so, but these are really minor criticisms, especially at this price point. Easily better and more creative than most niche offerings at many times the price.
    You summed it up well and I agree with most of this. I don't see it as smoky and it's definitely versatile. Works well in the cold or in the heat and smells magnificent in the summer rain (and we have had a phenomenal amount of that this month in this part of the world!). I don't get the "challenging" aspects that a lot of people call out. It definitely does come and go, and it lasts on me a lot longer than I think it does - people comment hours after I've put it on, and I don't really over spray. Another one my mother now wears, and also one of my best mates. I really rate the Extreme flanker for a more rooty, resinous take on the theme and need to get my nose on the Sport version.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Guerlain Heritage EDT to my mind.

Lalique Hommage a l’Homme is up there.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme for classic fougeres.
    The Lalique is sheer class. And I recently picked up an 80s bottle of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and was blown away by it - I used to wear it in my teens thanks to a perfume-loving grandmother and smelling the earlier version of it took me right back.

Quote Originally Posted by midsbloke View Post
    Boucheron Pour Homme EdP is amazing value for money and smells way more expensive than it is. I love that deep rich smooth woody citrus vibe that works really well in the winter when most citrus fragrances just don’t cut it.
    This has been on my "must try" list for a while. Might seek out a sample today.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Carven L'eau Intense $28 for 100ml tester (what I paid)

This is the kind of quality I was hoping for in several of the "fresh" scents I've sampled from Francis Kurkdjian, such as Aqua Celestia Forte, Petit Matin, Aqua Universalis, etc. While those scents are really disappointing to me, especially considering their price, Carven L'eau Intense delivers quality way above it's price and puts the other fresh scents from Kurkdjian's own personal line to shame IMO. This is everything I would ideally want in a fresh scent: invigorating, long lasting, smells of quality and has just the right amount of presence/sillage. If I were to smell this blindly, and someone told me it was from the MFK line and was selling for $200 per 70ml, I wouldn't be surprised. If you love lavender and mint done right, then this is a must try. I have about 260ml remaining, but I really need to go ahead and get another backup bottle (or four) while it's still selling this cheap. As we all know by now, deals this good in the fragrance game eventually come to an end sooner rather than later.
    I don't wear many freshies and I enjoy even fewer, but this one is class.

Default Re: Pound for pound (or dollar, euro, whatever) what scents offer the most value?

Comme des Garcons 2Man. I wouldn't say it's cheap, but every time I'm spraying it it feels like bottled beauty. This is one of the few perfumes I can imagine wearing singularly for the rest of my life, and it also has a nice robust performance.
    Another one that comes close is Eau d'Ikar by Sisley, of which I especially like the way it is composed with cool mineralic, chalky iris-like, citric and green mastic and soft incense notes. I often think his one needs some contemplating as it first might be misunderstood as a pale citrus. Sprayed liberally and worn for a whole day it does much of its subtile magic in the late drydown.

If you're after value for money you can't go far wrong with Les Senteurs Gourmandes. Their scents are generally about €18 - €25 per 100ml (depending on line) but some at least smell much more expensive. I got in Vanilla Noire and Incense Oud recently - both absolute crackers. The former is a light vanilla done dark, the latter a much denser Mancera affair.

To me a lot of the fragrances made by Bogart, Lapidus and Lalique as already mentioned by many.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Lalique White

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Honourable mention goes to Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose, which to me is more about resin than rose as it develops. The rose and saffron rules for the first hour or so and then it becomes a lovely rose-tinged blend of sweet, sweet myrrh on a backdrop of labdanum and incense. The mother smelt it on me and had to have a bottle of her own straight away, high praise from her as she's been into her perfumes for decades and wore Fahrenheit back in the day and reckons "it's just not the same these days!".

clhun0vrugbf.jpg

The Perfume Calligraphy Saffron flanker doesn't get much mention on here but it's as good in its own way as the Rose one. And Perfume Calligraphy itself is worth a sniff at the same kind of price point; it takes the standard oud-rose-patchouli trope and adds in a lot of myrrh and saffron. As elegant as Oud Ispahan to my nose, in that particular field.
    I tried all three recently as part of my ongoing exploration with the house of Aramis.

I like the original Calligraphy (though I think there's a lot of stuff out there in that style that gives it a run for its money), but find the Rose and Saffron flankers a bit ungainly. Overall, all three are intricately constructed in a way a lot of Western perfumery isn't, but I think some of the compromises made with materials holds them back from greatness.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 20th June 2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

L'erbolario - Meharees
    At £25 for 50ml you can't really get much more bargain basement than this and yet each time I smell it I'm blown away with how natural it all smells with an excellent blend and perfect performance. It swerves in the same lane as Musc Ravageur but I find this to be superior as it starts where MR drys down and at a fraction of the price.

The composition of spicy cinnamon over woods is silky, seductive and smooth and even if it were double the price I'd still think it were a bargain as it just hits the spot for me.
    In addition to Musc Ravageur, reviewers make a lot of comparisons between Meharees and L'Air du Désert Marocain, which intrigued me enough to grab 5 ml.

It's not cheap enough on this side of the pond to be a blind-buy contender.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    In addition to Musc Ravageur, reviewers make a lot of comparisons between Meharees and L'Air du Désert Marocain, which intrigued me enough to grab 5 ml.

It's not cheap enough on this side of the pond to be a blind-buy contender.
    It's possible to buy this off eBay for around $30, but you'd most likely be looking at sellers from Bulgaria, Lithuania, etc. Somewhat more expensive, especially for shipping from Italy, for whatever reasons.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    It's possible to buy this off eBay for around $30, but you'd most likely be looking at sellers from Bulgaria, Lithuania, etc. Somewhat more expensive, especially for shipping from Italy, for whatever reasons.
    Yeah, I saw 50 ml bottles from international sellers for a little under $30, but international shipping costs bumped up the price up above $40.

Still not properly *expensive*, though approaching the $1 per ml mark, which usually makes it a try-before-you-buy thing for me unless I've got a gift card lying around.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is my favorite on this list. So good and it just wears so well.

also:

a good deal of the Tommy Bahama scents, especially St. Barts and St. Kitts
    Dirty English by Juicy Couture
    HM by Hanae Mori
    Jaipur by Boucheron
    Bentley Intense
    Nautica Voyage
    cK one
    cK one Shock for Him
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Burberry Touch
    How strange. Your favorite is Guerlain Vetiver and I would never wear that one in public. I think that is so weird smelling.

Then you post a list of fragrances and I find them all great! Funny how taste can be so different in some cases and close in others.

I cam here to write:
    Calvin Klein - CK One Shock

ICON by Zirh
    Dupont Noir
    Vizzari

" Wanted " empty bottle of Macassar
    Currently wearing: MCM Success by MCM

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    For instance, if Lalique PH Lion was going for the same price as, say, Dior Homme, would I still buy it? Ehhhh.
    I would! I'm a big fan of that one.
    Don't get me wrong, Lion is excellent. One of my favorites. But would I pay $60+ for it knowing I got my 4.2 oz bottle for under $25? That'd be tough. Now, if it were never that affordable to begin with, maybe I would feel differently (especially true if it was the gem of a small collection). It's funny how perceptions can be relative like that.

That said, I don't think I've spent more than $35 on ANY fragrance in my collection. Am I missing out on some good stuff? Certainly. Are there some $100+ fragrances I'd love to own. Yup. But personal financial means aside, it's so hard dishing out $100+ knowing there are so many great fragrances out there in the sub-$30 range. I'm sure there's a logical fallacy in there someone will be happy to point out.

That said, I don't think I've spent more than $35 on ANY fragrance in my collection. Am I missing out on some good stuff? Certainly. Are there some $100+ fragrances I'd love to own. Yup. But personal financial means aside, it's so hard dishing out $100+ knowing there are so many great fragrances out there in the sub-$30 range. I'm sure there's a logical fallacy in there someone will be happy to point out.
    I feel the same way when it comes to full bottles of newer stuff. I've dished for sure, but must be really enamored for a long time to move into the $100+ range. And any more, it takes a lot to compel me to move on a full bottle that's value priced, just as a matter of preventing wardrobe creep. Typically, I'm OK with a decant, as I have so many of them that 3-5ml of pretty much anything is going to be plenty, most of the time.

Like you, my hesitation at higher price points stems from the wealth of inexpensive options out there, particularly when it comes to vintage.

Funds availability aside, my personality is oriented toward efficiency with this kind of thing...squeezing the best happiness ROI possible out of purchases. And I appreciate variety and new fragrant experiences. So putting that together, in the end, with few exceptions, I'd rather spend the funds on decants, or 3-5 bottles of high quality, high value juice that I'll end up enjoying just as much or more, and live on a decant of the expensive stuff that will last years regardless.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

The fragrance that gets the most wears offers the MOST value IMO. There’s no ‘realised value’ in keeping a $20 ‘gem’ that gets very few wears, no matter how good it is.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Don't get me wrong, Lion is excellent. One of my favorites. But would I pay $60+ for it knowing I got my 4.2 oz bottle for under $25? That'd be tough. Now, if it were never that affordable to begin with, maybe I would feel differently (especially true if it was the gem of a small collection). It's funny how perceptions can be relative like that.
    Understandable! But, just speaking on my own behalf, if supply dwindled and prices began to rise on Lalique PH, I'd be willing to pay that amount to acquire more once my bottle ran out.

Lalique's best offerings, much like the best offerings of Aramis and Guerlain, are *under*-priced at the moment (largely because of brand mismanagement and distribution issues). That they can be had at current prices is great for us, but market prices are not an accurate indication of the quality of the juice.

I do think the luxury fragrance market is absurd and I tend to go for fragrances where the cost/quality equation is more favorable (though I've shelled out for more expensive stuff now and again, just because every once in a while you find something you don't want to live without even if what you're paying isn't a "fair" price). If you're a savvy shopper you can build quite an impressive collection of aromatic art without paying more than $50 a bottle.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Bulgari Black - $22 for 1.3 oz.

Price per ml might not be the lowest, but this is such a steal for a scent that is always a joy to wear.

Cologne of the Missions. Got a huge bottle for next to nothing. It is a very natural smelling vanilla with a slight touch of wood and incense, often compared to Spiritueuse Double Vanille. In any case, it smells quite exquisite and expensive even though it costs pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmo View Post
    Cologne of the Missions. Got a huge bottle for next to nothing. It is a very natural smelling vanilla with a slight touch of wood and incense, often compared to Spiritueuse Double Vanille. In any case, it smells quite exquisite and expensive even though it costs pennies.
    I want to try this one, but it has become something of a unicorn over here in the US, alas.

Current Favorites

I tried all three recently as part of my ongoing exploration with the house of Aramis.

I like the original Calligraphy (though I think there's a lot of stuff out there in that style that gives it a run for its money), but find the Rose and Saffron flankers a bit ungainly. Overall, all three are intricately constructed in a way a lot of Western perfumery isn't, but I think some of the compromises made with materials holds them back from greatness.
    I like the rose and saffron versions better than the original but I like the latter too. I don't really get a feeling of poorer quality materials with these but accept that it's generally subjective anyway. But with these it harkens back to what I said about the ones I mentioned giving me pleasure in a way that isn't always connected to the actual technical accomplishments of the perfume itself. I find some of the lauded fragrances on here (including Heritage) to be technically solid but also somehow soulless and bland. I've got a bottle of vintage Heritage EDT and think I've worn it two or three times. It doesn't connect with me in the same way as the ones I listed do. Each to their own...

Guerlain Homme L’eau Boisee

Wearing it as we speak. Performance may not be the greatest but the lime hangs on fairly well and this thing just smells great, esp at this time of year.

$25-$35 usd at fragrancenet? Talk about punching way above its weight.

I find some of the lauded fragrances on here (including Heritage) to be technically solid but also somehow soulless and bland. I've got a bottle of vintage Heritage EDT and think I've worn it two or three times.
    Given another recent exchange with a member on here, I'm curious, have you *only* tried vintage or have you also tried the current "wood cap" Heritage? Another member--who had only sampled the original vintage--noted that they also had mixed feelings about Heritage, but stating that they found the opening rather muted and that it only opened up later in its development.

That observation raised my eyebrows. I have the current formulation, not the vintage, and it's *anything* but bland. It's pretty riotous for the first hour or so.

Current Favorites

Given another recent exchange with a member on here, I'm curious, have you *only* tried vintage or have you also tried the current "wood cap" Heritage? Another member--who had only sampled the original vintage--noted that they also had mixed feelings about Heritage, but stating that they found the opening rather muted and that it only opened up later in its development.

That observation raised my eyebrows. I have the current formulation, not the vintage, and it's *anything* but bland. It's pretty riotous for the first hour or so.
    Yeah, I tried the current version a few months ago - I often have a cheeky spritz of something from the Guerlain counter when I'm in town and gave it a whirl more out of absent-mindedness than anything. Didn't do a thing for me. Bland, to my nose. Too serious, all substance and no style. It works for plenty of people, just not for me. I've just got my 'near vintage' silver cap bottle out to give it a wear for my SOTE and I'm already regretting it because it's boring me! I should probably just sell this and move on, one less bottle in my wardrobe that doesn't get much love.

On topic, if I had to choose a Guerlain that fitted the bill as per the thread title, I could quite happily go with Jicky EDP, Mitsouko EDP or L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT or EDP off the top of my head without thinking about it. They all put an instant smile on my face in their own way that Heritage doesn't.

Yeah, I tried the current version a few months ago - I often have a cheeky spritz of something from the Guerlain counter when I'm in town and gave it a whirl more out of absent-mindedness than anything. Didn't do a thing for me. Bland, to my nose. Too serious, all substance and no style. It works for plenty of people, just not for me. I've just got my 'near vintage' silver cap bottle out to give it a wear for my SOTE and I'm already regretting it because it's boring me! I should probably just sell this and move on, one less bottle in my wardrobe that doesn't get much love.
    Well, I'm ruthless about ditching stuff I don't actually love, so I'd say, ya, get that bottle out of there. Life's too short.

Still, that's my all-time favorite scent you're slagging, so I'll also say you're *crazy*. "Bland," "too serious," "no style" -- DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Current Favorites

Well, I'm ruthless about ditching stuff I don't actually love, so I'd say, ya, get that bottle out of there. Life's too short.

Still, that's my all-time favorite scent you're slagging, so I'll also say you're *crazy*. "Bland," "too serious," "no style" -- DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    Add "middle of the road" and "nice" (as in the damning-with-faint-praise British usage) to that list and we have it well covered. Now I'm going to go and wash it off and put something on before bed that will bring a smile to my face!

Add "middle of the road" and "nice" (as in the damning-with-faint-praise British usage) to that list and we have it well covered. Now I'm going to go and wash it off and put something on before bed that will bring a smile to my face!

Current Favorites

Banned

Need a vintage bottle of Heritage EDT for your splits, mate?

Banned

I shall spread the gospel to the apostles!

There are about 7 fragrances I see as possessing about equal value regarding this question, and they really just come down to a matter of style and taste, but for the sake of the thread I'm going with the one that I would keep above all others if forced to get rid of the rest:

For one, it's completely unique: A summer gourmand comprised of light florals, lemon citrus, black currant, lavender, tonka, and vanilla and chocolate. All of the notes are apparent and recognizable and the composition is handled in a deft, thoughtful manner which keeps it from ever feeling too heavy or too sweet (unless you over apply it). It's airy and breezy and evokes a fun, creative impression. It feels young at heart but not immature or juvenile. And because it's unique, it's very hard to replace. There's nothing quite like it which can fill its space in the wardrobe. HM is one of the great little bargains out there.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    There are about 7 fragrances I see as possessing about equal value regarding this question, and they really just come down to a matter of style and taste, but for the sake of the thread I'm going with the one that I would keep above all others if forced to get rid of the rest:

For one, it's completely unique: A summer gourmand comprised of light florals, lemon citrus, black currant, lavender, tonka, and vanilla and chocolate. All of the notes are apparent and recognizable and the composition is handled in a deft, thoughtful manner which keeps it from ever feeling too heavy or too sweet (unless you over apply it). It's airy and breezy and evokes a fun, creative impression. It feels young at heart but not immature or juvenile. And because it's unique, it's very hard to replace. There's nothing quite like it which can fill its space in the wardrobe. HM is one of the great little bargains out there.
    This one was fun and on my list
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast