Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Pound for pound (or dollar, euro, whatever) what scents offer the most value?

And by that I mean punch above their weight? Smell like a million bucks without charging that and each time you sniff make you think "This is an amazing scent and at this price point is a stunner beyond measure!".

Feel free to post up a list and then run maniacally giggling off into the spectrum sunset if thats your thing but ideally I'd like to see one choice and your thoughts why as it just generates so much more discussion and allows one to free their passions whilst simultaneously focusing them. I'll get it started with:

L'erbolario - Meharees
    At £25 for 50ml you can't really get much more bargain basement than this and yet each time I smell it I'm blown away with how natural it all smells with an excellent blend and perfect performance. It swerves in the same lane as Musc Ravageur but I find this to be superior as it starts where MR drys down and at a fraction of the price.

The composition of spicy cinnamon over woods is silky, seductive and smooth and even if it were double the price I'd still think it were a bargain as it just hits the spot for me. So what say BNers, whats your pocket money pick of the litter and why?

Default Re: Pound for pound (or dollar, euro, whatever) what scents offer the most value?

Apart from the house of L'Erbolario as an entity, almost irrespective of the scent chosen, also the house of Jacques Bogart in its entirety.

Default Re: Pound for pound (or dollar, euro, whatever) what scents offer the most value?

A R A M I S
    T U S C A N Y
    P E R
    U O M O

Attachment 104350

Aramis Tuscany goes for just a little over $20. Dollar-for-dollar there's no better value; this is an immaculately made masterpiece that is as natural and well-blended as anything I've ever put my nose to. It puts most "niche" offerings to shame.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Patrick from Fragrances of Ireland
    Currently selling:

New, sealed MFK Aqua Celestia http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442795-Sale-Time
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

Banned

$23 at Fragrance.net. Now on clearance.

I'm not a huge fan of Meharees, though I would be happy to try the rest of their range if the opportunity arises.

I'd probably pick either Vera Wang for Men or Davidoff Hot Water. No, they're not darlings of any perfume critics. But yes, they're pretty awesome and damn pleasant in my opinion. VW smells like a soapier, more buttoned up version of The One, and Hot Water is just an awesome oriental affair for Autumn / Winter which is a fresh, edible oriental that is no way musty or obnoxiously heavy.

Anyway... I like them and I believe that they're perfectly serviceable fragrances which can be usually found for £25 per 100ml+.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

Avant-garde perfumery for $23. It gets mentioned all the time in these sorts of threads but it really is the unbeatable bargain in its category.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Meharees, though I would be happy to try the rest of their range if the opportunity arises.

I'd probably pick either Vera Wang for Men or Davidoff Hot Water. No, they're not darlings of any perfume critics. But yes, they're pretty awesome and damn pleasant in my opinion. VW smells like a soapier, more buttoned up version of The One, and Hot Water is just an awesome oriental affair for Autumn / Winter which is a fresh, edible oriental that is no way musty or obnoxiously heavy.

Anyway... I like them and I believe that they're perfectly serviceable fragrances which can be usually found for £25 per 100ml+.
    I got my bottle of Vera Wang for Men for about $14, I think. It's been compared not just to The One, but also Tom Ford for Men, and I think there are also some connections to be drawn between it and Guerlain L'Instant.

It's a really nice fragrance folks rarely talk about, made with a level of sophistication and care you hardly ever see in the mainstream space anymore.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Havana & Heritage
    Last edited by Man Of The World; 19th June 2019 at 03:56 PM.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Homme - Dior
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Coromandel EDP - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - FM
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique - Jovoy
    Private Label - Jovoy
    Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton - PDM
    Pegasus - PDM
    La Nuit de L'Homme - YSL

Blog Entries

Guerlain Heritage EDT to my mind.

Lalique Hommage a l’Homme is up there.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme for classic fougeres.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Aoud Blue Notes by Mancera

I have about 10 that come to mind for this category. But I think this one would have to be at the top for me at the moment:

Perry Ellis
    360° Red for Men

Possibly even better smelling than Acqua di Gio - and longer lasting. And the price is almost free.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Jaipur pour Homme by Boucheron. One of my favorite cheapies.
    Currently wearing: Oud Monarch by Bortnikoff

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Guerlain Heritage EDT to my mind.
    Per the original post's directive, I only listed one fragrance. But, yes, Heritage EDT is impeccable.

Holiday Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Per the original post's directive, I only listed one fragrance. But, yes, Heritage EDT is impeccable.
    Don't you think its more fun that way otherwise it just becomes another snoozefest list thread thats been done ad infinitum as the aim is to get people to share the why behind the wow so we have something to speak about instead of just regurgitating without thought and then spewing off to the next thread to do much of the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    I'm going to have to give Encre Noire another sniff at some point as I tried it ages ago and found it to be quite meh. So much so that I actually avoided Sycomore because of its alleged similarity. Now either that will be proven to a plastic nosed fallacy as I suspect because Sycomore EDT smells amazing or I'll find another amazing scent. For those of you who champion it, why? Whats the appeal? Drop some thoughts please. Paint a picture. Sell your case!

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    A few people have mentioned this. Whats the allure and does it perform bud?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I'd probably pick either Vera Wang for Men
    I'd wanted to try this a while back when I was sampling scents for a TOAK based around The One but its crappy performance put me off as I actually like to be able to smell my scents for more than a couple of hours of 15 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Wonderful scent. I don't think I've ever smelled the EDT before, only the EDP and that was so amazingly rich and dense that I couldn't believe its price. Excellent pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have about 10 that come to mind for this category. But I think this one would have to be at the top for me at the moment:

Perry Ellis
    360° Red for Men

Possibly even better smelling than Acqua di Gio - and longer lasting. And the price is almost free.
    I'll have to sample this. I remember people saying that Perry Ellis M was supposed to be the second coming of Allure Homme when it was hard to find in the UK and when I finally tried it it was a load of nope which made me reconsider the hype on their other offerings.

High quality Boss Bottled clone, X-bolt from Lidl. £4 for 50 ml. Beat that!

Superb Black Orchid clone, Oud 24 hours. £12.50 for 100ml

Caron pour un homme

the greatest man's scent of all is available for about £35!

Blog Entries

Aramis Havana
    Encre Noire/Encre Noire Sport
    Nabeel Arab Tradition
    Burberry London
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Many of the Jacques Bogart scents.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Boucheron Pour Homme EdP is amazing value for money and smells way more expensive than it is. I love that deep rich smooth woody citrus vibe that works really well in the winter when most citrus fragrances just don’t cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Don't you think its more fun that way otherwise it just becomes another snoozefest list thread thats been done ad infinitum as the aim is to get people to share the why behind the wow so we have something to speak about instead of just regurgitating without thought and then spewing off to the next thread to do much of the same...
    Yep!

I'm going to have to give Encre Noire another sniff at some point as I tried it ages ago and found it to be quite meh. So much so that I actually avoided Sycomore because of its alleged similarity. Now either that will be proven to a plastic nosed fallacy as I suspect because Sycomore EDT smells amazing or I'll find another amazing scent. For those of you who champion it, why? Whats the appeal? Drop some thoughts please. Paint a picture. Sell your case!
    It's all about how beautifully Encre Noire uses its synthetic elements to create a uniquely biomechanical fragrance (instead of Encre Noire, they could have called it Xenomorph and it would've been just as appropriate).

The natural wet leaves/vetiver mixed with a truly unmistakable "chemical" ink smell to create something that is simple but endlessly fascinating and otherworldly. It's like standing beside a dark lake at night on some alien planet.

I'd wanted to try this a while back when I was sampling scents for a TOAK based around The One but its crappy performance put me off as I actually like to be able to smell my scents for more than a couple of hours of 15 sprays.
    FWIW, Vera Wang has issues with longevity but not projection. You don't need to overspray it--it's not watered-down and has actual presence--it just quickly and oddly evaporates after the two hour mark. Those two hours are very nice, though.

Holiday Favorites

+1 Azzaro Pour Homme
    +1 Caron Pour un Homme
    Caron Yatagan
    YSL Kouros (got my bottle for like $40 USD at a discounter)

And my current favorite, Pino Silvestre Original. It costs like $12 for 125 mL and absolutely destroys the majority of what you get at Macy's nowadays not to mention all the "masstige" brands masquerading as "niche." Amazing juice, I can't believe it's not hailed like some of the other classic fougeres.

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Havana
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Caron pour un homme

the greatest man's scent of all is available for about £35!
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Many of the Jacques Bogart scents.
    Quote Originally Posted by midsbloke View Post
    Boucheron Pour Homme EdP is amazing value for money and smells way more expensive than it is. I love that deep rich smooth woody citrus vibe that works really well in the winter when most citrus fragrances just don’t cut it.
    Second all of these and would also add Tabac Original, which at one point was available at nearly every independent chemist in the UK.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    +100 for this. The price point is ridiculous (in the best way) for its quality.

Speaking as someone who's biased toward classics, there are a number of excellent values out there.

The current lineups of Caron and Aramis in general. Not sure I can pick just one, and it's unbelievable that most scents from both houses go for ~$20. I mean, the trifecta of Yatagan, Third Man, Caron Pour un Homme is in the upper echelon of masculine perfumery, period, full stop. Same for Havana, 900, and Tuscany (and I'd say JHL, but it's a little more expensive for whatever reason).

Similar situation for a good number of Guerlain classics, most of which have survived intact...Jicky, Habit Rouge EDT, Vetiver, and even many of the old feminine classics can be had for a song.

And +1 for Azzaro Pour Homme for sure. ~$15 at TJ's, and the current stuff is wonderful...incredible value.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th June 2019 at 06:25 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

All of the Aramis Gentleman’s Collection.

Azzaro: Pour Homme
    Burberry: London

Basenotes Plus

I still think Guerlain Ideal Cologne, Bogart pH, TB St Barts and Ferrari Uomo offer great value (+1 on Burberry London) but dollar for dollar, Fahrenheit might be the best steal out there considering this is a niche level scent that can be had for $50 or less on grey market.
    Currently wearing: Guess Suede by Guess

Pour Lui packs a fair punch for its price, if you like that sorta thing
    Worth Pour Homme. Smashes it for all round classic grace and refinements. Current like£8, vintages £15
    Lalique for a house that has many gems at excellent value. EN AND FLANKERS , White, Homme...
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by midsbloke View Post
    I have this one on the way and am expecting great things.

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Banned

I'll take a stab at this one since I brought it up.

Encre Noire is a dark, 'inky' vetiver that succeeds or fails on how you react to a synthetic-smelling vetiver. There's a ton of Iso E super in it, which will give your nose a bit of a tingle but I guess is there to liven up the cypress and cashmere woods, and of course the vetiver itself. The net effect of which, to my way of thinking, imparts a grassy effect I find quite clever. At times I haven't been the biggest fan of Iso E Super but here it works quite well and really gives the lift this fragrance needs.

I see Encre Noire referred to as "smoky" quite often, but I don't get that. But then again, I wear some things that smell like borderline creosote so perhaps smoky just means different things to different people. It's dark, but suprisingly versatile, and can be worn equally well in the winter or in the heat of summer. My only minor complaints are that there isn't much development here, it just comes and goes, and doesn't last well for more than 6 hrs or so, but these are really minor criticisms, especially at this price point. Easily better and more creative than most niche offerings at many times the price.