Code of Conduct
o

Cool Your Favorite Decade

Strictly speaking in terms of fashion and style, which decade is your favorite?
    I love how unique every decade is, except for the first decade of the 2000's. That was a scary time, haha. This decade has pretty good styles though time will be a more deciding factor.
    Though I would first think of the 80's or 90's because those are the years I grew up. I think I would be more prone to choose the 40's or the 70's. I just like pictures of my grandfather in his youth in the 40's. Always wore a shirt, tie, jacket, and a hat. No matter what. He always looked great.
    And the 70's was just a fun decade for doing new things, bright colors, loud designs. Looks like it was a lot of fun with the checkered pants and the bright sport coats....
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Default Re: Your Favorite Decade

1960s, no question.

Attachment 104377
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 19th June 2019 at 10:03 PM.

1984-1988 was my favorite time. Lacoste polo's and hooded rain pullovers. Levi's jeans. OP corduroy shorts. Polo Ralph Lauren ruled. Perry Ellis and Alexander Julian were at PEAK powers, and Tommy Hilfiger was rising fast. Guess made some really cool sweatshirts...I owned one with a diamond graphic that was the envy of many on my college campus (in my mind anyway)! Calvin Klein was still very cool. Don't get me started on the colognes that were around...the GOLDEN age of men's scents.

The jewel tone colors that Alexander Julian used were EXQUISITE...in everything from button-down shirts to pullover sweaters.

I can still recall walking through the Huntington Mall Lazarus Department Store and just DROOLING over all the cool fashions...especially the Guess section. There was also a bit of a "steam punk" thing going on.

I was young and feeling my oats...but also had very limited funds. Still, my parents made sure I had some fashionable gear. Being an only child has an upside. I loved the 80's, especially the later years.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    1984-1988 was my favorite time. Lacoste polo's and hooded rain pullovers. Levi's jeans. OP corduroy shorts. Polo Ralph Lauren ruled. Perry Ellis and Alexander Julian were at PEAK powers, and Tommy Hilfiger was rising fast. Guess made some really cool sweatshirts...I owned one with a diamond graphic that was the envy of many on my college campus (in my mind anyway)! Calvin Klein was still very cool. Don't get me started on the colognes that were around...the GOLDEN age of men's scents.

The jewel tone colors that Alexander Julian used were EXQUISITE...in everything from button-down shirts to pullover sweaters.

I can still recall walking through the Huntington Mall Lazarus Department Store and just DROOLING over all the cool fashions...especially the Guess section. There was also a bit of a "steam punk" thing going on.

I was young and feeling my oats...but also had very limited funds. Still, my parents made sure I had some fashionable gear. Being an only child has an upside. I loved the 80's, especially the later years.
    I'd probably go the other way with the 80's and say I preferred the first half of the decade. The second half just seemed to be coasting along and just adding to what was already there until it became comical. Kind of like the music of that time. And then the 90's arrived and burnt it all to the ground. lol
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 20th June 2019 at 04:51 AM.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

1960s
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Both in terms of male fragrances but also, according to the little fashion sense accumulated and/or learned so far, of male fashion style, subjectively and personally speaking: the 20's, 80's, certain aspects of the 90's - though more for nostalgic, personal reasons as well, to a certain limited extent and just regarding a few details, the late 19th to early 20th century as well.

If having to only own, wear and use both fragrances as much as male fashion/accessories that do not need to be necessarily from this actual time interval but at least faithful re-editions of both scents and male fashion with their first respective release years during these very ages, would be probably set for life.
    (not so much due to a certain apprehension towards spoilage if these items were 100% historically accurate and actually from these ages, as much as convinced that Ebay style price hikes on both would not be equaled by directly proportional quality levels)
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

My favorite decade is one I wasn't even alive for: the 1940s. In fashion, the menswear tailoring of women's suits and sportswear; the elaborate Balenciaga look of women's evening wear. In music, the arrival of bebop to blow the roof off the swing era. In design, the elision of Art Deco with the incoming modernism of Eames and the Scandinavian designers. In film, the existentialist dread of film noir. The excitement of new, luxurious air travel. In art, the arrival of abstract expressionism throws everyone into a tizzy.

I've always wished I could have experienced that. Most of my favorite perfumes hadn't yet been invented, but I think I could make do with some Schiaparellis, Patous, and Chanels.

Of course, there was that little spot of bother called World War II. But then, after that -- boom, the Sputnik age, and cars with big fins!

90s - I do love grunge and its simple and comfortable aesthetics, it feels natural, very true and Me. Also the goth styles of 90s.

80s seems scary and hilarious to me. Post Punk music and fashion was the only good thing in 80s.

70s had great music, the fashion... Not so much.

20s is very elegant.

2000s gets some hate here, but that was when I was a teen and where my tastes formed. Still only low rise jeans, pants and skirts to me, and I do like platform boots and Converses and bootcut jeans.

Nowadays fashion is a bit strange to me. I don't understand the too short and too tight pants and the crop tops paired with high rise pants and skirts - ugh. I hate the make up looks of today - the Brezhnev brows and ombre brows and drag queen make up on regular women. I do like the overall variety of styles though.

Cusp of swinging 60's.
    See "summer of rockets" BBC. Lol suit n boot come rain or shine. Hot, ? Roll up ya sleeves, being careful not to expose the elbows. ��
    Last edited by Ifti; 22nd June 2019 at 05:56 PM.