Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Grown man clothing (slacks, dress shirts, shoes and ties)

I've been trying to dress more professional lately, more adult you could say, and I'm having a difficult time for some reason.

Dress shirts tend to fit me like crap, and I've just found out that fitted shirts are the way to go. Not slim fit, which are way too tight, but fitted, because they don't give you that Hershey kiss look around the waste. I'm trying to find shirts like that but are they supposed to be made of a certain fabric to look and feel good? I was going to get some cheap Van Heusen shirt the other day, but it was like 70% polyester and felt rough and like it would make me sweat. Is it better to invest in some higher quality shirts? Better brands than others?

Slacks are another issue for me. I've been getting Dockers but they seem to collect a boat load of lint, and they get faded pretty quickly? Are slacks supposed to be of a much higher quality when working in a professional office setting? When meeting with clients? I feel like my slacks and shirts are cheap in general.

Should they always be dry cleaned? Will weekly washing ruin them faster?

Default Re: Grown man clothing (slacks, dress shirts, shoes and ties)

For dress shirts, don't do a garbage brand like Van Heusen.

Try Charles Tyrwhitt. Well-made shirts that won't break the bank.

Dry cleaning will ruin dress shirts faster than regular washing on a gentle cycle will.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

I agree on CT dress shirts. Best I've owned. Nordstrom brand are excellent when on sale, or from Nordstrom Rack. I really won't pay more than $39 for a dress shirt.

I have all my dress shirts dry cleaned with light starch once a month. I have for over 20 years now. I'm too lazy to wash, dry and iron.

Basenotes Plus

And another fan of CT here! Don'tever pay full retail for their shirts though. They have deals very often where you can buy 4 shirts for around €140,-. So thats €35,- per shirt, and they fit me better than some €80,- shirts I own.

It took me a few shirts to get to my right size (they fall quite large I feel) though, but now that I know it I almost buy all of my shirts there.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    And another fan of CT here! Don'tever pay full retail for their shirts though. They have deals very often where you can buy 4 shirts for around €140,-. So thats €35,- per shirt, and they fit me better than some €80,- shirts I own.

It took me a few shirts to get to my right size (they fall quite large I feel) though, but now that I know it I almost buy all of my shirts there.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk
    IIRC, Tyrwhitt has an exchange policy to help you find your proper fit.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Oh, man, I just checked out the Charles Tyrwhitt site. There's some really nice stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    Oh, man, I just checked out the Charles Tyrwhitt site. There's some really nice stuff there.
    I can't speak to their other items, but as far as their shirts go, the fabric quality and construction is the best value I've found. You can very easily pay much more for much less.

Holiday Favorites

Synthetics are not good because, as you point out, they make you sweat. Cotton is light. And easy to wash.

I used to get Brooks brothers shirts in the past but I haven't in a few years, so I don't know how the brand fares now. For trousers, I now buy Italian designers, which is expensive. I don't know which brand delivers good value. But I would definitely invest in something a bit higher than regular slacks. Also, dark colors (dark grey, blue, even black) look more professional, but if they are lower quality, the fading shows.

There's no need to dry clean, nor to wash them every week (as long as you air them at night). Of course, as chuck pointed out, you need to iron them yourself if you don't dry clean.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For dress shirts go with Brioni or Charvet. Can't beat the quality or fit.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I used to get Brooks brothers shirts in the past but I haven't in a few years, so I don't know how the brand fares now.
    I have some recent Brooks Bros. items. They're solid, but unexceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    But I would definitely invest in something a bit higher than regular slacks. Also, dark colors (dark grey, blue, even black) look more professional, but if they are lower quality, the fading shows.
    Absolutely. If you get a pair of dark slacks from Kohls, after a few times through the wash they're gonna start to look real worn.

In professional environments, at least in the US, I'd recommend staying away from black. That's a very formal color and it tends to seem a bit severe.

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For dress shirts go with Brioni or Charvet. Can't beat the quality or fit.
    I have no doubt Brioni and Charvet shirts are top notch, but reading the opening post I doubt the topicstarter wants to go for shirts in the €500,- and above range. For that kind of money you can have a complete wardrobe of CT shirts.

Agree cotton is the way to go.
    CT solid. Not sure if you have TM Lewin where you are, but similar and a tad less priced . Go to's for formal shirts.
    Dry cleaning prolongs life, yet may be a little costly. I machine wash, and as long as it a half decent machine it won't wreck your shirts. Lol you'll need to be prepared to press them!!
    Also I've found a thicker 'weave' helps increase longevity and the battering from machine washes.
    Best on I have is Hawked &Curtis, solid 'birdseye' small weave which feels sturdy and has an extra line of stitching around the collar ( where most wear/tears happen over time)
    Again I'm not sure what the equivalent is where you are in the world, but M&S , kinda upper middle level high street retailer (one I thought was for frumpy old folk!) Actually has decent value and quality wear. Echoing Brooks, not outstanding, buy solid quality wear.
    Good luck!!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Good to know about Brooks brothers. Back then, that was the idea. Solid and reliable, you knew they would last well and be appropriate for business environment.

I agree that black can be very formal. One has to play it down a bit, whether with the choice of fabric or shirt etc. Dark grey and blue are easier.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Interesting to see the love for Tyrwhitt here. I am a fan as well and they have overtaken Lewin in my eyes in the last few years. That said, I had a few shirts made by a tailor a little while ago and the difference in quality when made for you with "proper shirting material" is quite dramatic. But for general purposes, I would wait until CT's luxury lines are discounted and then buy from them. They also do a good variety of trousers.
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Junkie

All dress shirts fit like garbage around the waist. You have to tailor them. I take mine to a tailor of mine she does an amazing job. Get the shirt in your regular neck size /shoulder has to fit perfect. Then have the tailor cut along the underarm and sides to make a trim fitted look.
    all my dress shirts thus look amazing on me.
    I recommend Borrelli , barba.
    Dress pants, I cant recommend any out there, as any decent ones are way too expensive. But the ones I got are mabitex/incotex etc and other italian manufactured ones from a styleforum I used to visit a while back. I got a boat load of dress pants that I got for really amazing price. These italian ones dont fit like typical american ones where even if you get a size 32 waist the seat is huge. The italian ones have a smaller seat as I need that and trimmer down the leg. Looks really sharp. I also have a burberry prorsum dress pants in black gabardine they are luscious.
    Also again, take them to the tailor. Get them trimmed down from thigh/knee down to opening in most typical mall purchased dress pants.

Dress shirts if cotton can be washed regularly in your washing machine. I do and if you are doing it correctly they never deteriorate. Also the quality of dress shirt helps as well. But I have washed over and over again even cheaper stuff and they all come out fine as my washing machine is good quality and always wash on cold /delicate and with just a touch of detergent (dont go heavy w detergent), and wash them separately from items that contain metal parts like zippers and such as they will put micro tears into your delicate items.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes can be dangerous, not just for perfumes.

I had no Tyrwhitt shirt, but there's a store around the corner from my office. They are having sales, so I got a white summery shirt for $35. Not bad.

Italian pants can be very nice, especially if one wants lighter fabrics. I have Incotex, PT02, and similar brands. Expensive though.

With my cotton shirts and cotton slacks, I wear them 3-4 times then wash (inside-out) with like colors in cold water. Hang to dry. I have shirts that are ten years old that look as new as the day I bought them. The slacks will fray before they lose color.

Side note on the slacks: I still like my Dockers, but I recently bought a pair of Bonobos and am in love.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    That said, I had a few shirts made by a tailor a little while ago and the difference in quality when made for you with "proper shirting material" is quite dramatic.
    If you can go bespoke, that's the best option, but you do pay for the privilege (still, it's often more affordable than a lot of off-the-rack "designer" stuff).

The trick for most of us folks of limited means is to find those bang-for-the-buck items. There's been a booming market for that in menswear and shoes and other accessories, it's just that most of it isn't easily found in physical retail spaces.

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    If you can go bespoke, that's the best option, but you do pay for the privilege (still, it's often more affordable than a lot of off-the-rack "designer" stuff).

The trick for most of us folks of limited means is to find those bang-for-the-buck items. There's been a booming market for that in menswear and shoes and other accessories, it's just that most of it isn't easily found in physical retail spaces.
    There's a lot of sense in what you say. I paid £90 for bespoke shirts, and currently top-range CT shirts on sale are about £40. The relative value of these is to be seen. But both represent superior value to a lot of designer wear. I don't see the point of paying more than what you would pay for a properly bespoke experience, which by definition should be the best fit and constructed with materials and in the style you like.
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

There's a lot of sense in what you say. I paid £90 for bespoke shirts, and currently top-range CT shirts on sale are about £40. The relative value of these is to be seen. But both represent superior value to a lot of designer wear. I don't see the point of paying more than what you would pay for a properly bespoke experience, which by definition should be the best fit and constructed with materials and in the style you like.
    I've never paid that much for a CT shirt, FWIW. I think their "top range" represents less value than the stuff positioned just a bit below that, which is still a substantial improvement on department store shirts and even most designer fare. If you grab 'em during their sales you can get 'em around $25-30 apiece, making it a very good option for the working man who needs to build up a durable wardrobe.

If I was paying "top shelf" CT prices, I'd probably look to made-to-measure (not full bespoke but the next best thing) outlets.

Holiday Favorites

Interesting to see the love for Tyrwhitt here. I am a fan as well and they have overtaken Lewin in my eyes in the last few years.
    Agree - not all Lewin stuff is great value - of all my shirts - these deteriorate the quickest. Probably one of the brands that trades on it "heritage" more than its actual quality!!
    Hawkes & Curtis mind, I've had great experience with ( after being dubious - again about its heritage and brand over quality) - Crisp white thick weave shirt near new 18 months now! "silk touch" range is top.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I usually just go to Express. It's convenient for me and their stuff fits my style close enough. It's not great quality but the stuff looks good. I can get three/four years out of most of their shirts and pants.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Apart from lifestyle & shoppersstop, MaxFashion also has a great & quality line of clothing. If you check out their formal shirts for men or casual shirts for men, they have amazing collections for a real cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I usually just go to Express. It's convenient for me and their stuff fits my style close enough. It's not great quality but the stuff looks good. I can get three/four years out of most of their shirts and pants.
    Express Photographer Fit suits and dress pants have served me very well. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive. I'll need a couple new suits in the Fall. I'm leaning J Crew Thompson suiting for my next phase.

I'm a weird size. I'm smack in between 42R and 42L, and I wear a 31 inseam. This makes it awkward for off the rack suit separate purchases. I know, alterations...but I'm lazy and cheap.

I will say that after alterations my Express suits looked like Hugo Boss on me! One men's shop salesman thought my Express suit was an expensive Italian suit.

I take great pride in almost never paying retail for most anything. Lawn mowers and Chanel being the exceptions that pop to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Express Photographer Fit suits and dress pants have served me very well. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive. I'll need a couple new suits in the Fall. I'm leaning J Crew Thompson suiting for my next phase.

I'm a weird size. I'm smack in between 42R and 42L, and I wear a 31 inseam. This makes it awkward for off the rack suit separate purchases. I know, alterations...but I'm lazy and cheap.

I will say that after alterations my Express suits looked like Hugo Boss on me! One men's shop salesman thought my Express suit was an expensive Italian suit.

I take great pride in almost never paying retail for most anything. Lawn mowers and Chanel being the exceptions that pop to mind.
    It's an amazing deal when Express has their storewide 50% off sale. Can get a nice, well cut suit for $200 or so, depending on if you need shirts and ties to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    It's an amazing deal when Express has their storewide 50% off sale. Can get a nice, well cut suit for $200 or so, depending on if you need shirts and ties to go along with it.
    Yep. That’s a great deal.

I like J Crew a lot for their shirts and jackets. They fit pretty well but their jeans, khakis and dress pants have an odd fit. Seems I'm always a size in between everything they have.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

1) I hear you. In a perfect world, I would have a 43L jacket and 37x33 pants. Fortunately, I've learned what brands work for me in certain sizes, so I stick with them. I also don't mind having my inseams altered. I have a great tailor.

2) I like nice clothes, but can rarely afford them with my teacher's salary. With that, most of my wardrobe has been purchased used on the bay (except for obvious things like underwear, socks, and shoes). If you know exactly what you're looking for, ask a lot of questions, and are patient, it's amazing. Names like Armani, Dolce, and YSL at 90-95% off retail. Look brand new.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

You all should check out formal shirts for men on MaxFashion. They have amazing collection.

Cool Re: Grown man clothing (slacks, dress shirts, shoes and ties)

You know you're a grown man when you're calling pants 'slacks'. lol