Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Smells Like Money

Which scents smell like wealth? Not literally like currency, but like a wealthy person. Are there any fragrances that make a person smell opulent, wealthy, and dripping with excess? One that comes to mind for me is Millesime Imperial. But, what about richer, heavier scents as well?

Default Re: Smells Like Money

Whatever else you might say about the lineup, I think Tom Ford figured out how to make stuff that smells "expensive."
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Whatever else you might say about the lineup, I think Tom Ford figured out how to make stuff that smells "expensive."
    I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    opulent, wealthy, and dripping with excess
    Millesime Imperial

Royal Oud. Just smells very refined and classy to me.

Que scay-je?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Which scents smell like wealth? Not literally like currency, but like a wealthy person.
    For me, Sandalwood Absolute Oil by Clive Christian.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

a quarter million, tops

Bonheur by Bortnikoff was the thing that brought that most to my mind.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Dependent

Bond-9-wall-street.jpg

Bond No.9 Wall Street

Tom Fords for the ‘nouveau’ rich, probably. ‘Old money’ is seldom as ostentatious.

But here’s one very well known favorite: Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Bonheur by Bortnikoff was the thing that brought that most to my mind.
    Very good option. Refined, classy and smells like nothing else out there. Unfortunately it’s also sold out long ago; you’ll have to pry the bottle from the owners’ cold dead fingers...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Once more with feeling

IMG_20160911_121436.jpg
    IMG_20160911_121440.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Tom Fords for the ‘nouveau’ rich, probably. ‘Old money’ is seldom as ostentatious.

But here’s one very well known favorite: Genghis Khan

Very good option. Refined, classy and smells like nothing else out there. Unfortunately it’s also sold out long ago; you’ll have to pry the bottle from the owners’ cold dead fingers...
    I'm so glad I ended up with two travel tubes of this (About 20ml). Stuff is strong enough to last a lifetime.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.........I would rock that sweater......with feeling!
    It's so 80's I can almost hear the Casiotone Keytar soundtrack from here.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

strange but when i read the thread title the first two words that came into my head were: roja dove.
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT :

regularly coming to basenotes could leave you broke and/or divorced.

So subjective. The richest person I have ever come into sniffing distance of wears Guerlain and Caron--L'Heure Bleue and Muguet de Bonheur--so I'm going with that. I smell rich (to myself) when I wear Bois du Portugal or Bel Ami. Bond No 9 is sort of a new money/doesn't know any better smell (to me!). Coco--especially en extrait--smells rich to me, too.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

in civet est veritas

I will summon a certain robotic chef by citing ...

Bois du Portugal

One of my faves, too.

/Acey

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I smell rich (to myself) when I wear Bois du Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Bois du Portugal
    The smell of the rich daddy I didn't get to have. The one who would have bought me a pony.

Bois de Portugal and Amouage Jubilation XXV

What age rich person, and what scent does this rich person like? The idea that rich people smell a certain way is pretty ludicrous. As for whether a scent can just be evocative of a rich person then that is not ever going to be based on anything at all really either. I can accept the likelihood a rich person would choose regular designer scents is less likely, so regular designer crowd pleasers are probably not going to be as likely, but not all will throw money around either. Some might not have any imagination and simply just buy things like Aventus as it involves little thought or taste beyond that it costs a bit more and people have heard of it, so it's a logical boring conclusion.

Creed Vintage Tabarome: Some may not care for it, but it definitely smells like something someone with money would have.

It certainly takes a lot of money to get some of it nowadays.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Junkie

Xerjoff
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Blog Entries

Prada Luna Rossa
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Creed Vintage Tabarome: Some may not care for it, but it definitely smells like something someone with money would have.

It certainly takes a lot of money to get some of it nowadays.
    Definitely agree with this one.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Tihota by Indult

Freed from BN Institution

One that comes to mind is Xerjoff Irisss. The buttery rich and smoothness of the iris definitely screams expensive.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Tihota by Indult

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    strange but when i read the thread title the first two words that came into my head were: roja dove.
    Yup. Like money emptying into Roja’s bank account, to be precise. Lol.
    But yeah, I got you. Some of his fragrances smell indeed like top dollar stuff.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Polo 'Green' semi serious answer !
    Lalique Homme smells pretty refined but not screaming 'I got that chedda I got that chedda'
    But then again, lots of different things probably smell how we individually interpret 'wealth' - classic Guerlain Vetiver with its tidy tobacco says conspicuous wealth to me, Bel Ami , Pour Lui... it's very open.
    Depends who and how it's worn lol 'rolling a t*rd in glitter' and that jazz mataz
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

The OP asked for suggestions as to what would give off the air of "excess," so we're talking about ostentatious wealth.

A lot of the stuff mentioned so far seems a bit too discreet to quite fit the idea. When I mentioned Tom Ford above--which Diamondflame rightly noted as a kind of "nouveau riche" brand--I was thinking particularly of punchy, you-can't-miss-the-aroma stuff like Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille. Stuff with a kind of punchy, almost aggressive, presence and also has a kind of decadence about it.

But if I think more broadly what suggests "ostentatious wealth" to me, I think about all the goods traditionally associated with wealth over the centuries: luxury goods like fine liquor and leather, spices, decadent desserts... So essentially, what would be the "apex" of this category to me is a very high-grade, densely spiced gourmand fragrance. So, yeah, Tobacco Vanille fits the bill, but something like Lubin Idole EDP or one of the heavier Amouage releases could also work.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Creed Royal Mayfair smells like you have the title of "Duke" or "Lord."
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    Exactly.

There are literally dozens of largely high-end perfume brands where the first order of business is always:

MUST SMELL EXPENSIVE

That is their prime directive.

Everything else, from creativity, originality, even popularity and ultimately sales, is of secondary importance, and often times, these aren't considerations at all. You're selling exclusivity to the already wealthy, or the prestige of owning to the aspirational who want to pretend they're wealthy. If you're rich, smell like you are so others recognize your place and status by the scent you wear. And if you're not rich, then you are literally going to be made to pay through the nose to pretend that you are.

As a business model you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one to make easy money, if you're successful that is. In a way, you're not even selling perfume at that point, which is perhaps the genius of someone like Roja Dove, a deep understanding of the psychology of his customers, their wants and desires.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

That is a good question. Of course our associations with scents has more to do with our own experiences than the actual molecules. Fine sandalwood smells expensive; would that be so if we had no knowledge of its rarity? It would smell natural and pure, but more "expensive" than the same quality cedar wood? It is interesting to ponder.

Expensive is just one of the countless categories we use, because we are obsessed with defining and categorizing; putting things in boxes. I think any hopes of smelling "expensive" are driven from a insecurity, or a harmful mindset. I believe that finding a scent that smells wonderful on your skin is much more desirable.

Lol, Mr. Prince is not part of the cameron wolfpack, or whatever.

Is this a silly question? Yes. But, that's why we're here: to discuss the silly, ridiculous aspects of fragrance that "normies" wouldn't understand or want to talk about.

In any case, to steer this back toward the scents themselves: Declaration is another one that smells very classy and wealthy to me, despite its relatively reasonable price. It's a bit weird and off-putting with the cumin, but not in an overly showy or aggressive way; it's definitely "old money." Also, I've seen claims that the scent itself is similar to freshly printed money. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but smell it next to a new dollar bill (or $100, such as the case may be) and there's some similarity.

Que scay-je?