Code of Conduct

Default Suggestion for hydrosol supplier?

Could anyone suggest quality wholesale hydrosol suppliers in the US that also allow purchase of moderate-sized samples?

Some of the items I want to try are helichrysum, neroli, and carrot seed.

I've websearched and found Ingredients to Die For, Lotus Garden Botanicals, Organic Infusions, Formulator Sample Shop, Cocojo Organic, Making Cosmetics, Eden Botanicals (ultra pricey and only two items) and Mountain Rose Herbs (doesn't have everything needed) but am unconfident in all but the last two.

Thank you!

EDIT: I had forgotten Liberty Natural sells hydrosols. Obviously a great choice but incomplete selection so additional ones would be great.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 22nd June 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Default Re: Suggestion for hydrosol supplier?

Try Wholesale Supplies Plus, they have 6.

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.co...hydrosols.aspx

Thank you, runstile!

Last edited by Bill Roberts; 21st June 2019 at 11:28 PM.

I have ordered several perfume materials from violetglassforever on Etsy. After looking for an affordable, yet good quality, rose hydrosol I decided to try some from violetglassforever. 100ml I think was about $18/19 US dollars (they are out of Oregon).
    The Rose hydrosol is beautiful!

Several years ago I purchased two different hydrosol from Mountain Rose Herbs and was not impressed at all with the Rose water I got from them.
    I’ve also purchased from violetglassforever:
    Elderflower absolute;
    Blood orange eo;
    Orange blossom absolute.

I have been extremely satisfied with the quality of their materials, prices (which are fair, not necessarily cheap), shipping, etc.

violetglassforever does offer wholesale but I don’t see that they have carrot seed hydrosol.

Thank you, that's great information and much appreciated!

Honestly, why not just use carrot seed EO? You'd only need a trace as it is powerful. If you're concerned about solubility then you can add peg 40 HCO and/or polysorbate 20 to the oil phase before blending in the water phase in a 1:1-4 ratio of oil : solubilizer.

Look at post 21 here, that is my process for making aqueous room sprays.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/448...ght=room+spray

I absolutely expect to use eo's and possibly absolutes as the principle materials.

Partly I've been reasoning by analogy: eo's and absolutes differ from each other, broadly speaking with the eo's being toppier and the absolutes deeper, and sometimes for a given I prefer a blend of the two to using just one of them. I am guessing the hydrosol might likewise be able to add something that the eo itself doesn't have as much of or maybe sometimes none of. Maybe that will prove true, maybe not.

The other part is potential "label value," in other words the consumer hoping that there's a therapeutic advantage to having both. I don't concern myself with marketing but it never hurts to have a story aspect to a product as to why it's difference and, my gosh, if you don't have that difference you could be missing out. I wouldn't do it just for that reason but if it also smells better then that's another reason.

The potential product is a cream claimed to be therapeutic because of containing various eo's which are reputed to be therapeutic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I absolutely expect to use eo's and possibly absolutes as the principle materials.

Partly I've been reasoning by analogy: eo's and absolutes differ from each other, broadly speaking with the eo's being toppier and the absolutes deeper, and sometimes for a given I prefer a blend of the two to using just one of them. I am guessing the hydrosol might likewise be able to add something that the eo itself doesn't have as much of or maybe sometimes none of. Maybe that will prove true, maybe not.

The other part is potential "label value," in other words the consumer hoping that there's a therapeutic advantage to having both. I don't concern myself with marketing but it never hurts to have a story aspect to a product as to why it's difference and, my gosh, if you don't have that difference you could be missing out. I wouldn't do it just for that reason but if it also smells better then that's another reason.

The potential product is a cream claimed to be therapeutic because of containing various eo's which are reputed to be therapeutic.
    I definitely understand the marketing perspective, consumers want lots of natural ingredients, it makes them feel good about the product. I'm assuming you're listing the EOs used in the ingredients, and I think absolutes can be listed as extracts as well.

Yes on all points!

For me the only thing as wonderful to receive in the mail as a big White Lotus Aromatics order or special items from Christine is a big Liberty Natural order!

Oh, what a wonderful smelling box just arrived (not from any of the liquids, as they were perfectly packaged as always, but from some solids provided in plastic bags through which scent diffuses.)

I am absolutely 100% knocked out and in love with the Indian Sandalwood hydrosol. I have smelled real Mysore only as part of perfumes and frankly do not much care for, or in some cases despise, other sandalwoods. "Royal Hawaiian" and "Vanuatu" are not objectionable to me but that's about the best I can say, and all else I have had no desire for at all.

EDIT: Actually I do believe I smelled Mysore in high-end soaps as a child -- yes, it really was wastefully used that way back then but no one knew I guess -- and I really think a box that was actually made of sandalwood, I mean the real thing not the junk. Also, when writing I had not yet smelled the White Lotus Aromatics Sandalwood Indonesia Wild Harvest. Not exactly the same as my scent memory of what I believe true sandalwood is, but very very nice, much better than any other modern sandalwood I have smelled.

I won't be using the hydrosol in any cosmetic cream as it's too expensive -- I bought it just for myself. Now I am wondering if I need to get some 200 proof alcohol so I can slip up to 5% of this hydrosol into a formula and still be 190... or maybe I might let 190 drop to 185 or something. Who knows. Can't know till working with it.

I also can't know till working with them whether the neroli, chamomille, or lavender hydrosols will be useful in a cream formulation but I think they may be. Formulating in a cream rather than ethanol tends to flatten the top, so including toppier material could help. They also have a "fresh" quality to them most certainly.

As a total side note, I am also blown away by the jasmine wax that arrived and was the principal source of the fantastic smelling box. I was really surprised by the strength, I was expecting quite little. The mimosa wax is also interesting and we rarely have discussion of floral waxes.

EDIT: I have not even opened the jasmine sambac wax bag. It is sitting 2 feet away from me though. To me, this is OMG the best jasmine ever and I have bought many of many types. FURTHER EDIT: Unbeknownst to me there was also a jasmine sambac absolute "tin" that had leaked in a plastic bag, hidden away in the original package, and was a major contributor to the overall excellence from the box, with benzoin being a minor contributor also.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 3rd July 2019 at 09:07 PM.