Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: Hipsters and Fragrance (do they mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    It’s almost like everyone has the same range of shops and products to choose from...
    This inevitably happens, and probably happened long before social media, it’s just everyone has a camera now to document it.
    Is copying an influencer really any different than imitating the style one saw in a fashion magazine or elsewhere? It’s not just fashion. People do it with travel too, but is it really any different than slavishly following a travel guide.

Im just glad Sydney seems to have passed peak bushranger beard. Manbuns of arguable quality are still fairly abundant. Samey poor quality, boring tattoos show no sign of slowing. Especially sleeves and half sleeves.
    You do realize that by attempting to disprove my point you've just proved it via your last statement?

Perhaps the real question isn't whether they will mix, but if they will blend...

https://media.tenor.com/images/f7dea...9e2b/tenor.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I prefer hippies!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

im definitely more hippy than hipster, but wouldnt really classify myself as either. but no kidding, i sweat more when i wear antiperspirant. like 2-3 times as much.

Anti perspirant is meant to be applied something like 12 hours before you actually 'need' it to work. It's my understanding it's all about the aluminium penetrating the skin and from there...you don't sweat. All sorts of science points to this being dubious for human health, probably is tbh, no doubt the body absorbs it and I believe aluminium is linked to neurological problems if it enters the bloodstream in too high a concentration. My knowledge is rusty though so look it up if you wish.

Deodorant, on the other hand, is a scent 'blocker'. Might help stop sweat a little bit but it's more about covering up the smell.

Anecdotally, if I apply anti-perspirant in the morning of a hot day, I agree, I sweat noticeably more than had I not applied anything. No idea why.

Applying overnight for the morning does work though. But you mentioning this makes me want to look more into whether or not there's a better alternative tbh, not least for health reasons.

the guy in the OP doesn't scream hipster to me. looks like a perfectly respectable, bearded gent

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Every countercultural movement inevitably becomes a parody of itself when enough people get on board and it ceases to become counterculture. Hipsters, emos, goths, preps, mods, hippies, beatniks, swingers, greasers, dandies, on and on and on and on...

To answer the question, I imagine hipsters with the cash would gravitate to high-end artisanal perfumers like Areej le Dore, Bortnikoff, or Slumberhouse, while those of more humble means would stick with Phoenix Accoutrements, Sixteen92, or even Gorilla Perfumes (Lush), as all of these scratch that naturalistic handmade non-commercial itch, just with different aesthetics.
    oh look, I have a signature

The term hipster is used so loosely and broadly that it's become meaningless. It seems to be generally used against youngish people at large, who don't necessarily possess any identifiable qualities, other than being scorned by the speaker applying the term to them.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

100%
    Hipster appealing brands:
    -Byredo
    -Le Labo
    -Comme des Garcons
    -Imaginary Authors
    -Diptyque
    -Commodity

Generally speaking though I'd say no, I've rarely met a good smelling (or scented) hipster at all. More into clothes. Not trying to knock these brands at all, as I'd probably be classified as a hipster myself, but their minimalism/solinotes/quirkiness absolutely appeals.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Hipsters are people, too. Some like scents, some do not. My 23 year old is probably a hipster, but he loves him some Creed.
    I like your thinking. Embrace.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Every countercultural movement inevitably becomes a parody of itself when enough people get on board and it ceases to become counterculture. Hipsters, emos, goths, preps, mods, hippies, beatniks, swingers, greasers, dandies, on and on and on and on...
    Yup. The irony of it all. We see it here too on Basenotes. In the effort to smell unlike anyone else, quite a number of us end up smelling like each other, with similar overlaps in our wardrobes.

But people just can’t help themselves from ‘categorizing’ others, can they? Why would a ‘hipster’ smell any different than the average BNer?
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    The term hipster is used so loosely and broadly that it's become meaningless. It seems to be generally used against youngish people at large, who don't necessarily possess any identifiable qualities, other than being scorned by the speaker applying the term to them.
    Basically.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    You do realize that by attempting to disprove my point you've just proved it via your last statement?
    Sorry, yes. Lol. That’ll teach me to make rambling responses without even properly reading the post I’m replying to.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I think the term has changed a bit over the years and it also has become a pretty broad term.
    In my 20's, I use to wear vintage everything, except for dress clothes. But my jeans, shorts, t shirts, polos and several of my casual dress shirts were all vintage. Then the designers started copying the vintage trend, which is still going on, and it became easier for me to just buy the copycat crap. I got old and lazy. Anyway, because of that, I would get called a hipster from time to time.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Before proceeding with our attack, can we define hipster? The task is arguably too great for one man and his perfume column, but some key words will help: kale(spiracy), thrift store, filter, post-truth, pulled pork, intersectional, bright socks, squat, cactus, glitter, YOLO, moustache wax, vinyl, vegan, dare I say feminism, fixed-gear bicycle, irony, ‘east’ anything, craft beer, red high-tops, that Beyoncé class at Harvard Business School. If you actually attended Azeem’s flute recital. Wait a second, didn’t I see those red high-tops in Zara last week? That’s the point, Cobrasnake.

The common thread is visual design (which is different to the hippie or goth movements) – one doesn’t feel hipster, one exhibits hipster. In a hilarious article revealing the most hipster stuff they’ve ever done, co-authored by Vice staff, the team propose that ‘much like being too drunk or being too into Marxism, there’s such a thing as being too hipster’. Imagine right now, if you will, someone who is ‘too hipster’. Chances are it’s their appearance you’ll envision and not their pastimes. Hipster culture was always designed for a particular style of commodification which produces more and more copies whilst simultaneously declaring itself individual through a claim to authenticity. But is the authentic not in fact inaugurated through shared acceptance rather than the stand-alone? This is hipster laid bare. The hipster aesthetic is not a consequence of a wider hipster lifestyle culture, but is an aesthetic culture in itself, rooted in style rather than action; on manners of interpretations specific to visuality – identification, symbolism, and spectacle.
    https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Hip...nces-8917.html

All I know is beards, tattoos and being bossed around by their women who act like their mothers (that's just my neighbours though...mustn't generalize ). The real problem they bring with them is gentrification. Not everybody has a trust fund.