Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looks like bat from zoologist perfumes is being discontinued...

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Looks like bat from zoologist perfumes is being discontinued...

Here's the text from the Instagram post...

We have some very sad news: Zoologist Bat, designed by Ellen Covey, will be discontinued. We have some difficulty getting our perfume compound manufactured the way we want it to be, and to our dismay, we will stop the production once we have run out our existing stock.

If you have always wanted to purchase Bat, or you need to get a backup bottle, we suggest you purchase one from our stockists as soon as possible. "Bat" is important to us, and we have planned to create a new Bat, but by a different perfumer. We hope to achieve the same greatness of the original Bat with the new one. Thank you for your support and forgiveness.

Production issues requiring a reformulation are very understandable, but I feel there is more to this story.. Why is Zoologist creating a new Bat with a different perfumer and not Ellen Covey? Beaver was reformulated in 2016 but Chris Bartlett remained the perfumer.

I agree, that is odd to change perfumer.

She may just be busy, anyway, ordered a bottle

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

I've been putting off completing my collection of the travel-sized bottles anyway. No more! Just ordered Bat and four others. If Bat truly is to be reformulated I'll eventually get that as well. Reforms don't scare me...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Basenotes Plus

Clearly there will be a reformulation/reinterpretation by a different perfumer. They should at least rename it Bat II or something (not Batman though LOL)...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Valier View Post
    She may just be busy
    Very likely...

Banned

Possibly she's just too busy. Ellen Covey is a full time professor in the psychology department of Washington University. Part of her work was with echolocation in bats.

https://psych.uw.edu/faculty/areas/b...l-neuroscience

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    The vintage-smelling Civet was reintroduced with positive reactions. (I haven’t smelled the original.) You never know. Perhaps this reform will be an improvement of the original idea.
    Beaver was the one reformulated, in 2016. Civet, despite its name, isn't really that animalic. Beaver was toned down a bit, but it just made it less interesting in my opinion. The castoreum was more pronounced, but not overwhelming. Mostly a lot of musk and greenery Didn't sell that well, and probably still doesn't. Cute label though.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Clearly there will be a reformulation/reinterpretation by a different perfumer. They should at least rename it Bat II
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I really admire this house, even though some of the scents are not to my taste. They are always interesting. I just picked up a trade spray of Bat & a bottle of Dodo.
    Small decisions, made consistently, have huge impacts. Think about what you do, be mindful of the results. Accept responsibility for your choices & do not blame others for your behavior. I speak for myself.

To clarify, Victor's comment about the "compound being manufactured the way we want it to be" is potentially misleading. The whole issue had to do with what he was willing to pay for the concentrate now that he's moving to a business model of having all of his fragrances manufactured by a single company. We were in what I thought were negotiations when he suddenly announced that Bat was discontinued.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by EllenC View Post
    To clarify, Victor's comment about the "compound being manufactured the way we want it to be" is potentially misleading. The whole issue had to do with what he was willing to pay for the concentrate now that he's moving to a business model of having all of his fragrances manufactured by a single company. We were in what I thought were negotiations when he suddenly announced that Bat was discontinued.
    Ahh, interesting.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Dependent

I suspected it had something to do with him not getting his way; other posts re: Victor on other sites lead me to think he was being rather reactive.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hmmmmm....the plot thickens.
    Small decisions, made consistently, have huge impacts. Think about what you do, be mindful of the results. Accept responsibility for your choices & do not blame others for your behavior. I speak for myself.

How do you feel about the way this transpired?

"I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Basenotes Plus

A case of business pragmatism vs artistic integrity? Scaling up production but at what costs? Arguably Bat was THE fragrance that put Zoologist on the map. It’d be a shame to see it reformulated...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Looks like Victor went from batty to catty.

Ba dum tish

Anyway I hope there is resolution to this. Still haven't tried the house.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

Banned

The stresses and strains of trying to produce creative and original fragrances while still turning a profit. If Wong had wanted to stay smaller he could have run everything from a website, with limited production and costs. But he's aiming bigger than that, with a catalogue of impressive fragrances, but of limited appeal. Even here at Basenotes you often see someone write something along the lines, "I'm impressed with the creativity but wonder about the wearability" or similar. Rather than seeking critical praise, perhaps he should be aiming something squarely at commercial appeal.

I just noticed that Bat is sold out on the Zoologist website, so whoever wants to track a bottle down should be looking at retailers who might have some left at this point. I also want to welcome Ellen to Basenotes! Three of her Olympic Orchid perfumes are among my favorites: Woodcut, Blackbird, and Dev #1.

Tonyprince, thank you for your welcome to Basenotes. I used to be on here occasionally but lapsed for years because, as others have surmised, I'm too busy to spend a lot of time on social media. However, every story has two (or multiple) sides, so I thought it would be good to tell at least the most basic part of my side.

Now both of the story's main participants have offered what might be described as an unsolicited teaser in a public venue: with the abbreviated statements contradicting each other but only raising more questions.

If the objective was to publicly show disagreement while maintaining a general ambiguity: that's been accomplished.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Basenotes Plus

I still want to smell this.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: L'Origan by Coty

Luckyscent recently obtained what I assume are the last bottles made, but they sold out quickly. Fortunately, I was able to get one ordered in time. It's a shame Zoologist can't keep it in production.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Hi Ellen, big fan of your work. Do you think the Bat formula(or something very similar) will be featured in an upcoming Olmypic Orchids fragrance? Or is the formula property of Zoologist?
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

I wore this today, for the first time. What a fun scent. Especially because it was a hot and sweaty morning and the scent actually smelled great in the heat and humidity.

The geosmin note reminds me of Thunderstorm by Demeter (or Black March by CB I Hate Perfume for that matter). But it's so much more than the dirt, the florals and the fruit notes are perfectly attenuated.

I can't wait to wear it again soon.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

This is a house that I am really intrigued by. Especially by Bat and Hyrax. Sadly, Zoologist was only on the fringes of my radar when Bat was discontinued. As such, it brought them quite a bit of attention, so I started digging in.

I like that they are making daring fragrances, and aren't selling them at crazy prices. From my small bit of looking into their offerings, Hyrax is definitely one I'd like to give a sniff. Bat, of course as well, because from my understanding, it was a very daring/polarizing fragrance. However, those that enjoyed the scent seemed to really like it quite a lot.

I'm hoping to try some stuff from this house when finances allow. I have a feeling that if I get what their doing, there could be a treasure trove of unique fragrances to be had.

Basenotes Plus

You can still pick up a generous 11ml travel spray of Bat for $40 on the Zoologist website. I did a few weeks back and just confirmed they are still available. The presentation for the travel sprays is on par with the bottles. Beautiful stuff.

I wish more niche houses would offer travel sprays or smaller bottles and devote this same attention to detail. I could not imagine going through 60ml of Bat, but 11ml is just right for me. Same goes for a lot of niche fragrances that I own or hope to own.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    You can still pick up a generous 11ml travel spray of Bat for $40 on the Zoologist website. I did a few weeks back and just confirmed they are still available. The presentation for the travel sprays is on par with the bottles. Beautiful stuff.

I wish more niche houses would offer travel sprays or smaller bottles and devote this same attention to detail. I could not imagine going through 60ml of Bat, but 11ml is just right for me. Same goes for a lot of niche fragrances that I own or hope to own.
    The 1.5ml samples also, for $6.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    ...I could not imagine going through 60ml of Bat, but 11ml is just right for me. Same goes for a lot of niche fragrances that I own or hope to own.
    I agree.

This one I will have to be in the mood for. I liken it to my decant of Carre Blanc.

-- Eckhart Tolle