Code of Conduct
o

Default Parfums De Marly Herod Performance.

Hello all, I recently have bought a bottle of Parfums De Marly Herod from FragranceX after buying a bottle of Layton and loving it.
    Layton gives me fantastic performance and smells great. Herod smells great as well but the performance is very lack luster.
    It pretty much becomes a skin scent within 2 hours, and is only able to smell if you're in for a hug or right in my personal space. It doesn't last nearly as long either. Maybe 6 hours.
    Now, I have tested it only in the summer time. But the lowest temperature I've tested in has been high 60's, which I don't believe should nuke this fragrances performance.
    The batch number I have is 905901.
    If anybody has information on how theirs performs or specifically this batch number I would appreciate it.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Default Re: Parfums De Marly Herod Performance.

Diluted quite a bit a while ago. The original sample I had was almost red in colour and the latest juice I split was much paler and had a significant drop off in performance in comparison.

was pretty weak on me, too!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Don't know the batch of my original bottle as I don't pay attention to batch numbers, but performance of Herod for me is quite good.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Bought a decant and have same issue with it.
    PdM is a house I am never going to try again

i dont get very good performance with it either, a shame because i quite like it

I own and love Layton - which is definitely beastly - but Herod does not come close to Layton in terms of projection or longevity. On one hand, that sucks, but on the other hand, you can spray Herod with reckless abandon. Too many sprays of Layton, you will choke out yourself and anyone in the room. There is no "too many sprays" with Herod however. I just overspray the hell out of it (as do lots of others - we've discussed the joy of overspraying Herod in the oversprayers thread ), and enjoy it while it lasts. I also have found that it lasts longer and projects more if sprayed on clothes. I can still smell herod on an undershirt I wore skiing 3 months ago!

If you're looking for a really beautiful tobacco-dominant fragrance with beastly performance, I would suggest Red Tobacco. RT has the same "don't spray too much or you'll choke out the room" quality as Layton does, and is truly a fantastic fragrance IMO.

This thread reminded me of a question I had regarding Parfums de Marly.

Does anyone know how to check batch codes to tell what year a PdM fragrance was made? CheckFresh and CheckCosmetic both, do not support the brand.

Basenotes Junkie

I have a bottle of Herod as well and it doesnt perform that well either on me. I would say projection is off to a skin scent after about an hour or so but not really sure (I cant really tell these things). Longevity as well is about 6 hours at the most.
    But these things are variable as we all spray differently . I spray about a good 6 concentrated sprays on my bare chest and about another couple on my neck. That is how I usually roll with these fragrances.

I would say about all fragrances usually have about a good hour to 2 hour projection before relegating itself to a skin scent for another few hours before completely disappearing.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

Does anyone know how to check batch codes to tell what year a PdM fragrance was made? CheckFresh and CheckCosmetic both, do not support the brand.
    You have to contact them. I did, and they got back to me before too long and told me the month and year.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

2015 starts with a 5, 2016 a 6, etc. not sure about anything beyond that but with Herod 2015 and before = redder, richer smelling, better performing juice. 2016 onward = looks like water, not so good.
    Currently wearing: Awake by Akro

I bought my bottle in May 2014. I don't wear it often but it performs well when I do wear it. Must've been reformulated.
    Currently wearing: Habdan by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by Revake View Post
    Hello all, I recently have bought a bottle of Parfums De Marly Herod from FragranceX after buying a bottle of Layton and loving it.
    Layton gives me fantastic performance and smells great. Herod smells great as well but the performance is very lack luster.
    It pretty much becomes a skin scent within 2 hours, and is only able to smell if you're in for a hug or right in my personal space. It doesn't last nearly as long either. Maybe 6 hours.
    Now, I have tested it only in the summer time. But the lowest temperature I've tested in has been high 60's, which I don't believe should nuke this fragrances performance.
    The batch number I have is 905901.
    If anybody has information on how theirs performs or specifically this batch number I would appreciate it.
    So there are weaker 2019 batches of Herod? I've seen that coming.
    And I'm glad, that I own two good 2017 and two good 2018 batches.
    I've experienced huge batch tolerances with Herod and Layton - already mentioned it here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...ces-and-Issues

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    2015 starts with a 5, 2016 a 6, etc. not sure about anything beyond that but with Herod 2015 and before = redder, richer smelling, better performing juice. 2016 onward = looks like water, not so good.
    I don't know.
    Last year I filled a few ml of Herod (2018 batch) into a glass decant with a lot of air left in it and it darkened very fast, when carrying it with me.

I'm currently doing that experiment again and have exposed a little decant of Herod outside to sunlight and heat. I'm pretty sure, that that light yellowish juice will get a more golden/reddish colour after this summer.
    I've taken a photo before and will do so after all - under the exact same lightning conditions.

Personally I never found Herod to be a beastmode scent, but it should last 8 hours easily.

If anyone here is in the UK and has a newer bottle of Herod, I'd be happy to send a sample from my 2014 bottle so you can compare.
    Currently wearing: Habdan by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    If anyone here is in the UK and has a newer bottle of Herod, I'd be happy to send a sample from my 2014 bottle so you can compare.
    A comparison to a new opened 2019 batch would make sense, if your 2014 bottle is still sealed and not sprayed.
    If it's half empty and aged the last few years it will smell different to a new one.

I usually buy at least 2 bottles of a certain batch of a fragrance which I like a lot - because I'm well aware about reformulations. And I know, when opening a new bottle of the exact same batch the juice smells weaker but oftentimes a little bit more zesty in comparison to the old bottle where are only a few mls left and the topnotes had faded a little bit.

I'm pretty sure, that you can experience that with Aventus, too.

However I have done comparisons between brand new sealed Herod batches (Layton too) - and you can indeed find differences in smell and to a certain degree in performance, too. I've asked PdM about that and they say that was due to the tolerances of natural ingrediants. The formula of Herod hasn't ever changed according to PdM.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Love the smell of Herod but not great longevity on my skin. I would say a bit under average.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Parfum & Dior Homme - Dior
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger Pour Homme EDP - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP - MFK
    17/17 Richwood - Xerjoff
    Coromandel EDP - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - FM
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus- PDM
    Pure Tonka - TM

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Diluted quite a bit a while ago.
    I've reached the conclusion that dilution is the new reformulation tactic, in the modern fragrance industry. A considerably cheaper approach too...

@Revake

I've just joined here, so I thought I'd post my recent experience: I purchased 125 ml of Herod via Amazon UK a couple of days ago (It was a great flash deal) According to the UPS tracking it originated from Madrid. It arrived today and I noticed it was golden in colour when I decanted it. Mines is also batch # 905901.

I have a decant that I obtained a couple of months ago from a friend who works in a department store who officially sell PDM and the colour is more towards red/orange. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference with regards to the actual potency of the two different batches when I smell/test them so I'm not overly concerned. Next time I visit the store I'll ask my friend what the batch # is of the bottle she made my decant up from.

I'm not sure if this is attributable to a reformulation as the other posters have alluded to or not. It would be interesting to hear PDM's take on this. It would also be of interest if PDM officially explained what their batch codes translate to in terms of manufacture somewhere on their website. Most musical Instrument and technical goods manufacturers do this so I'm not sure why niche fragrance manufacturers don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice-Of-God View Post

I'm not sure if this is attributable to a reformulation as the other posters have alluded to or not. It would be interesting to hear PDM's take on this. It would also be of interest if PDM officially explained what their batch codes translate to in terms of manufacture somewhere on their website. Most musical Instrument and technical goods manufacturers do this so I'm not sure why niche fragrance manufacturers don't.
    Oh no, not that "Herod 2015 and before = redder, richer smelling, better performing juice. 2016 onward = looks like water, not so good." BS again...

Please take a look at my thread about that Herod reformulation thing: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...Rant-included)

I hope that clears things up!

Wore Herod for the first time today. Disappointed in just about every regard, but it's not an awful scent. Performance was just beneath what I'd consider acceptable. No idea about the batch. It feels like a 6-8 sprayer to get the performance you'd want on a autumnal day through to early evening - at least, that's what I'd want from it.

I read reviews back on fragrantica from the first few weeks it was released and there were people complaining about performance/projection then. It's always good to go back before an idea gets in to the heads of the collective. See what people really though without perceiving a scent through the filter of expectation.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."