Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Pls recommend lavender/herbal fragrance (no.9 of max-10 collection)

I have a beginner’s collection of 8 fragrances, which can increase to 10 but no further!

What I’d like is a clean lavender/herbal green fragrance, with reasonably good potency and longevity, and price no more than £60. I tried Diptyque Eau de Minthé (no lavender but very green/herbal): reviews here not especially positive but I really loved it, in my view sophisticated and long-lasting; however, at £120 beyond my budget. Though if I can’t find anything else...

So could anyone suggest a reasonably priced fragrance which is predominantly lavender/herbal or similar? I guess things like lavender (especially), sage, rosemary, pine, geranium, oakmoss, vetiver, citrus, maybe some labdanum or elemi, so green/herbal/herby-floral/citrussy/dry-woody, not strongly spicy or incensy... and staying this way in the drydown, without prominent vanilla or similar, I really don’t want sweet or powdery drydown. I briefly test-sprayed Drakkar Noir, but it seemed very weak: perhaps I should give it another try.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

For reference, my 8 are:
    * Guerlain L’Eau Boisée - really love this
    * Lalique Encre Noire - love this, in its very specific way
    * Davidoff Cool Water - pleasing light, though I find drydown a bit sweet/powdery
    * Dior Homme Intense - like
    * Chanel Antaeus - one animal is plenty, feel like I want to spray something floral on top
    * Eden Perfumes 207 (Chopard Oud Malaki clone) - like very much, "warm spicy/woody" tick
    * Eden Perfumes 242 (Amouage Epic Man clone) - really love this, "potent myrrh" tick
    * Eden Perfumes 260 (Dior Sauvage EDT clone) - like this, even if the original much derided
    [Plus I’ve tried a bunch of 1ml samples, including originals of the Eden Perfumes clones. If you’re in the UK... Eden Perfumes £18 inc postage for 30ml, remarkably impressive in my beginner’s opinion. Oh, and I do admit to a couple of now-regretted cheap blind-buys, namely Jacques Bogart Pour Homme and a very naff Aventus clone, can give away to anyone interested in picking them up in central London.]

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Pls recommend lavender/herbal fragrance (no.9 of max-10 collection)

I'd suggest Oxford & Cambridge.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Also adding:

- l'Occitan,

- Caron pour un Homme,

- Ungaro Man Silver,

- Azzaro pour Homme/pour Homme l'Eau (minimal on the lavender, yet with enough cleanliness and complexity at once to compliment the minimal, remote and sparse lavender notes with crafty hints of good spicy clove, woody, citrus and leathery notes),

- The Buebeard's Revenge EDT (quite unexpectedly good for an inexpensive take on classic barhershop lavender notes, yet with enough modernity to work well as decent everyday scent, perhaps even garnering compliments)

- Lalque pour Homme EDP (lavender notes in this one do barely exceed the top/first impression development, herbal notes are even less pronounced, but at its price and extraordinary, great value performance, little to no possibility to go wrong with it)

- Sartorial by Penhaligon's (admittedly on the pricier side, unlike all others that effortlessly fit the budget, but even this one still on budget if going either for smaller bottle size or heavy discounts or both)

- for even heavier discounts on good offerings on both lavender and herbal hints, Eau Florale de Lavande by La Maison du Savon de Marseille (its rather moderate, minimally projecting performance being counterbalanced by negligible initial purchase price/going rates) and slightly costlier while still great value, with the added advantage of EDP performance, Lavande Relaxante by Le Panier des Sens

Basenotes Member

Really appreciate these helpful replies, thank you: Oxford & Cambridge looks great, and slightly closer to my price range than Eau de Minthé. Penhaligons Sartorial looks worth investigating, and within my range. Occitane: the ones I tried seem weaker than my old quasi-anosmic nose can enjoy. Caron Pour Un Homme looks my sort of fragrance (cheap but good): however, it's got vanilla in it. Will explore the others too, thanks.

Oh, and I bet all of you once said "it's only going to be 10"...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Lavande by Fragonard
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Maybe Im wrong, but: Eau Sauvage by Dior? More citrus.
    Best,
    Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Maybe Im wrong, but: Eau Sauvage by Dior? More citrus.
    Best,
    Bruce?
    Im sorry: I saw you have it already in a clone.
    Best wishes!
    BruceB

I do not like vanilla, but I love Caron Pour un Homme. It is not the vanilla that you've come to know from mainstream fragrances; give it a try.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    I do not like vanilla, but I love Caron Pour un Homme. It is not the vanilla that you've come to know from mainstream fragrances; give it a try.
    Yes. Very much agree.

Sample Houbigant Fougère Royale. It might be exactly what you're looking for. Pricing hovers around your stated upper limit.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Prada Amber Pour Homme is a good lavander(or at least close to lavander) frag, decently priced. Barbashop kind of stuff.

Freed from BN Institution

Chanel Pour Monsieur Cologne Concentree would be worth trying.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Basenotes Plus

It’s pricey but Bogue Mem is an incredible lavender centric one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fougerio View Post
    I have a beginner’s collection of 8 fragrances, which can increase to 10 but no further!
    Get your recommendations, choose your scent, and then flee!

Basenotes Member

Hahaha Mr Prince, you're right. Bruce, I've got a nice Sauvage clone, not Eau Sauvage clone... I tried Eau Sauvage 2017, thought it was excellent, but very much lemony-elami (trying saying that fast!), and in the balsamic category I prefer myrrh (which I guess might have been Eau Sauvage 2012?), and very happy with my Epic Man clone in that category. Thanks to everyone for more intriguing suggestions. Now let's see if I can follow Mr Prince's sage counsel ..

Acqua di parma colonia. I think you could get 100ml for that price online

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

You could try Caron Pour un Homme l’Eau. Its a fresher and more modern version of the original, without a strong vanilla note.

things like lavender (especially), sage, rosemary, pine, geranium, oakmoss, vetiver, citrus
    Platinum Egoiste would probably interest you. It has almost all of those notes you're looking for, with no vanilla in the drydown or anywhere else. Its lavender and geranium, with rosemary/sage/oakmoss/vetiver.. pretty close to the top of your budget but I think you could find it for what you're looking to spend.

Why are you restricted to 10 fragrances? Just wondering if that is self imposed or some other reason
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

a quarter million, tops

You should probably not frequent this forum then. It will make you want to buy!
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

a quarter million, tops

Dolce & Gabbana Intenso

375x500.28935.jpg

or regular Pour Homme
    375x500.15336.jpg
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Also adding:

Caron pour un Homme,
    Another good option.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Eau de l'Occitan
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Lavande by Fragonard
    +1

Héritage by Guerlain
    Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin

...and probably too expensive but very nice:

Bracken Man by Amouage
    l'Eau du Caporal by l'Artisan Parfumeur
    Panama pour Homme (1924) by Boellis
    Special for Gentlemen by Le Galion
    Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 25th June 2019 at 04:32 AM.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (1989)
    Not as green as some mentioned but plenty clean and lavendery
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Jovan by Jovan

Default Pls recommend lavender/herbal fragrance (no.9 of max-10 collection)

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Dolce & Gabbana Intenso

375x500.28935.jpg

or regular Pour Homme
    375x500.15336.jpg
    These might do to the trick as well.

Basenotes Member

Thanks yet again, more great suggestions. Including Platinum Égoïste, which I'll try. And Guerlain Héritage: not exactly the notes I stated, but I have a hunch I'd like it a lot.

To answer your question Dr Joe: the limit of 10 is self-imposed. I want to get a basic understanding of fragrances, and a varied selection to wear. 10 seems about right for that. But I don't want to get into an expensive addiction and perpetual unicorn hunt! Let's see if I'm sufficiently strong-willed not to buy number 11. Of course, when I finish one I can replace it with another. Which perversely encourages me to use up the fragrances I like least first. Have great days!

And Guerlain Héritage: not exactly the notes I stated, but I have a hunch I'd like it a lot.
    There's a lot of stuff going on in Héritage. It's a masterpiece. I prefer the EDT to the EDP (seemingly most on here do).
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

The fragrance I'm wearing today seems like it might work for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What I’d like is a clean lavender/herbal green fragrance, with reasonably good potency and longevity, and price no more than £60. I tried Diptyque Eau de Minthé (no lavender but very green/herbal): reviews here not especially positive but I really loved it, in my view sophisticated and long-lasting; however, at £120 beyond my budget. Though if I can’t find anything else...

So could anyone suggest a reasonably priced fragrance which is predominantly lavender/herbal or similar? I guess things like lavender (especially), sage, rosemary, pine, geranium, oakmoss, vetiver, citrus, maybe some labdanum or elemi, so green/herbal/herby-floral/citrussy/dry-woody, not strongly spicy or incensy... and staying this way in the drydown, without prominent vanilla or similar, I really don’t want sweet or powdery drydown. I briefly test-sprayed Drakkar Noir, but it seemed very weak: perhaps I should give it another try.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

For reference, my 8 are:
    * Guerlain L’Eau Boisée - really love this
    * Lalique Encre Noire - love this, in its very specific way
    * Davidoff Cool Water - pleasing light, though I find drydown a bit sweet/powdery
    * Dior Homme Intense - like
    * Chanel Antaeus - one animal is plenty, feel like I want to spray something floral on top
    * Eden Perfumes 207 (Chopard Oud Malaki clone) - like very much, "warm spicy/woody" tick
    * Eden Perfumes 242 (Amouage Epic Man clone) - really love this, "potent myrrh" tick
    * Eden Perfumes 260 (Dior Sauvage EDT clone) - like this, even if the original much derided
    [Plus I’ve tried a bunch of 1ml samples, including originals of the Eden Perfumes clones. If you’re in the UK... Eden Perfumes £18 inc postage for 30ml, remarkably impressive in my beginner’s opinion. Oh, and I do admit to a couple of now-regretted cheap blind-buys, namely Jacques Bogart Pour Homme and a very naff Aventus clone, can give away to anyone interested in picking them up in central London.]
    Try Antaeus Sport Cologne. It's Antaeus with a splash of sweetness. That's my impression.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seconding Azzaro PH and Caron 1.
    Adding Paco Rabanne PH for mega dry herbal , Eau Sauvage EDT (find it more herbal than EDP).
    Azzaro is what I reach for when I want lavender herbalness.
    Caron 1 is the most Hardcore lavender I've experienced !
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Basenotes Member

Thank you Ifti and responding also to Bruce: when I said I'd tried Eau Sauvage, I meant the EDP (thought it was excellent, but don't want it)... now I see that Eau Sauvage EDT might be what I'm looking for. Or Eau Sauvage Extreme EDT which has lavender, but gets pretty mixed reviews (ie lots of bad reviews) here. Thanks again!