Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,817

    Default Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    After around five years of cartridge shaving, I've gone back to DE shaving for six weeks or so - since it's winter, the weather is miserable down here - and I'm in no hurry to get my shaving done.

    Out of curiosity, I bought a Merkur Futur, as many claim it's the best adjustable DE razor ever made, and I was never happy with the Gillette Super Adjustable razor I bought many years ago.

    But when I got the Futur, I looked at the huge blade gap even at its lowest setting, and thought that this may be a problem.

    Result from using it - lots of bleeding nicks and heaps of micro-nicks (as revealed by alum stings), no doubt the worst DE Razor I've ever used.

    So I posted about it over at Badger and Blade, where a number agreed with me that it was terrible, some said the Chinese Futur copies were better, and some said they didn't like it because the shaving head was too thick and made it hard to shave under their noses, while others asserted it was their best razor ever and gave me handy tips to try.

    I used their various tips - including to use a Feather Blade, use a shallow angle, do very light strokes - and I got a half reasonable shave, but it was a very slow and very careful shave compared to shaving with my regular DE razors.

    Today I tried one of the other tips that gave that user his magnificent shaves, namely to shave with the razor cap on one's face - in order to give a very shallow and consistent angle. I did that at normal shaving speed. Result, five bleeding nicks.

    I'm just not having any luck with this razor.
    If anything, I think of it as being half way between a normal DE razor (good) and a shavette (terrible)

    Anybody else tried it?
    If so, like it or dislike it?
    Regards,
    Renato

  2. #2
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    6,123

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    I did not like it when I was starting out. Too many cuts.

    I would recommend Edwin JaggerDE89 along with more forgiving blades like Indian Gillette.
    FeAther is probably the worst choice when you are starting out. They give closer shave but are unforgiving to newbies.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

  3. #3

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    The Futur is great razor, but it requires a slow, precise hand. It's finicky. The Merkur Classic is more forgiving, and gives me consistently good results without having to overthink the shave.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    The merkur futur is a tricky one. First of all the adjustable feature doesnt necassarily correspond to the markings. Specially after a few assenblies. So you really have to go by the feel and by visual ques of the space between the blade and razer edge.
    Moreover its heavy and extra smooth. Think of it like driving a cadillac escalade. It can be a smooth ride, but if you try to whizz it around like a golf gti, its gonna have accidents.
    My suggestion, break into it slowly. Start with a single pass with futur, 2nd finishing pass with ur go to razor. By the 10th shave you wont be reaching out for ur go to. Use little to no pressure. Find a middle angle setting on tge razor and stick to it more or less. But adjust ur grip and the angle of holding the razor.
    It is a very special razor, in fact so special that you have to unfortunately unlearn some of the things u do with other razors.

    Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

  5. #5

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,817

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I did not like it when I was starting out. Too many cuts.

    I would recommend Edwin JaggerDE89 along with more forgiving blades like Indian Gillette.
    FeAther is probably the worst choice when you are starting out. They give closer shave but are unforgiving to newbies.
    Thanks. I have the Jagger 89, and it is excellent. I first used the moderate Dorco blade in the Futur and got lots of nicks. Some of the chaps at Badger and Blade recommended I use the Feather blade, which was why I tried it in the Futur (it works fine in my Feather Popular razor).

    Only problem with my Jagger 89 is that I got the polished chrome one, and it's too slippery, having dropped it into my basin. I recently bought the matching Weaponry handle for it.

    I don't have Indian Gillette blades, but my next shave with the Futur (and it may be my final one) will be with Shark Stainless Steel - which are the mildest blades I've come across so far.
    Regards,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    The Futur is great razor, but it requires a slow, precise hand. It's finicky. The Merkur Classic is more forgiving, and gives me consistently good results without having to overthink the shave.
    Thanks. Finicky is definitely the word for it. I also have the Merkur 33C, and the contrast between using it and the Futur is pretty close to night and day.
    Cheers,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    The merkur futur is a tricky one. First of all the adjustable feature doesnt necassarily correspond to the markings. Specially after a few assenblies. So you really have to go by the feel and by visual ques of the space between the blade and razer edge.
    Moreover its heavy and extra smooth. Think of it like driving a cadillac escalade. It can be a smooth ride, but if you try to whizz it around like a golf gti, its gonna have accidents.
    My suggestion, break into it slowly. Start with a single pass with futur, 2nd finishing pass with ur go to razor. By the 10th shave you wont be reaching out for ur go to. Use little to no pressure. Find a middle angle setting on tge razor and stick to it more or less. But adjust ur grip and the angle of holding the razor.
    It is a very special razor, in fact so special that you have to unfortunately unlearn some of the things u do with other razors.

    Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the handy hint about using another razor for the second pass - I'll try it, as half the nicks came from the across-the-grain second pass.
    I won't give up on it just yet. But I think 10 shaves will be the limit for me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  6. #6

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    I use a Parker 29L with Feather blades. This is technically a unisex DE safety. I bought it to start out given the blade exposure (conservative) and longer handle (I have bigger hands and don’t like the feel of the shorter handles).

    I thought I was going to shift away from this razor for one of the “beloveds” on wet shave forums once I gained more experience, but have gone back to this one time and time again. I find that this razor’s blade exposure coupled with a feather blade is a great set-up. For $30, you could do much worse !
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

  7. #7
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    I enjoyed it (at least the Chinese copies) when I owned one, but I tend to favour more aggressive razors (the Muhle Rocca is the only DE I own currently and find that easy to use, and I now rotate between that, a CJB Shavette and an artisan-made Kamisori).
    Bit of a silly question I'm sure, but are the marks on the side of top/base caps lining up? If they don't, you can get some large exposures from what I'm aware. I found, as was suggested to you, that riding the top cap to give a lighter touch towards the base cap to work nicely for me.

  8. #8

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    13,817

    Default Re: Merkur Furtur Razor - Let the Blood Flow

    Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    I enjoyed it (at least the Chinese copies) when I owned one, but I tend to favour more aggressive razors (the Muhle Rocca is the only DE I own currently and find that easy to use, and I now rotate between that, a CJB Shavette and an artisan-made Kamisori).
    Bit of a silly question I'm sure, but are the marks on the side of top/base caps lining up? If they don't, you can get some large exposures from what I'm aware. I found, as was suggested to you, that riding the top cap to give a lighter touch towards the base cap to work nicely for me.
    One or more people at Badger & Blade said they liked their Chinese copy better than the real thing by Merkur.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the marks lining up - there's only one way to assemble it, when the top part clicks into position.

    If you like aggressive razors, you may want to try the cheap Chinese Twist To Open ones on Ebay. They have huge blade gaps and are dirt cheap ( a tad flimsy though).
    The Merkur Bakelite was my most aggressive mainstream razor before getting the Futur.
    Regards,
    Renato




Similar Threads

  1. Merkur DE razors
    By Alex in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th April 2006, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000