Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Question What Strong Component Powers The "Windsor" Floral/Green/Humid Trio?

There is some strong floral component that I first noticed in Creed Windsor, which powers a very natural but very slightly off-putting "wet green rose" or (at higher volume) "damp over-ripe potted tuberose" accord.

It's a great component, but tricky.

After Windsor, I noticed it in:

Creed Royal Mayfair (more obvious)
    Tom Ford Orchid Soleil (more tuberose)
    Tommy Hilfiger TH Bold (more hidden)

It may be at the core of Kerosene Whips and Roses.

odysseusm may be talking about it as a "tuberose and lily note" in his review of the Tom Ford fragrance. Yes - it seems very cohesive like a note, or a single component.

Any ideas what this is?
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Perry Ellis by Perry Ellis

Default Re: What Strong Component Powers The "Windsor" Floral/Green/Humid Trio?

This may not help,
    But I often find rose perfumes to be either flat and one dimensional, or overly sharp.
    Strong rose combined with high linalool materials just kills me :-(

Seems to me, your nose too - could be fighting with rose materials?
    The only rose I really like is Portrait of a Lady...
    Too bad it`s so expensive.
    I want to help newbies, like me!
    Matt`s Youtube channel: we examine materials, make accords and simple perfumes and talk all things scent related.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpi...5IG9nbG20t-lIQ

I've actually worked on a Royal Mayfair match, it is tuberose, likely a base similar to the Firmenich one, and quite a bit of it; there could also be a touch of tuberose absolute. The top is dominated by eucalyptus EO, with phenyl ethyl alcohol that softens and adds rosy character, and I added touches of bergamot and bitter orange EO 1:1, and 1% lime (expressed). The lime note isn't even perceptible in RM and I have no idea why they listed it. The middle has very little if any rose notes, and probably some floralizers (Florol and Floralozone are what I'm using) but not Lilial or Hydroxcitronellal (they are not on the ingredients), and possibly a touch of juniper berry for the gin note. If there is any western red cedar, it is traces, and most of the "cedar" comes from Iso E Super. In the base there is a decent amount of white musk which I haven't quite matched, but have experimented most successfully with Galaxolide, Helvetolide, and Ambrettolide. There's also a good amount of Hedione (possibly regular w HC or Paradisone) and I have added some orange blossom base/oranger crystals for their claimed orange base note. Creed has either inverted some of the notes in their pyramid (orange and eucalyptus in the base instead of the top) or they really meant orange blossom. Honestly, it's better to trust your nose than their pyramids in most cases.

I can't speak for Windsor, I smelled in once when it was first released, but I know RM is the closest thing readily available.

As for the "one" note you're looking for, I don't know if it can be just one, but I have 0.5% Veloutone in the middle, perhaps that is it.

If anyone wants to go in on a GCMS I'm happy to donate my sample to science.

Probably do you mean indole. Indole smell like fresh, gassy, airy realistic white floral with specific ,,plastic" ,,mothballs" note especially strong in dyed white floral in vase ( lilac especially: indole+cadaverine and sulfurous material). Iso eugenyl acetate smell also wet, damp, floral. And triplar!
    Farnesene and cis-3-hexenyl benzoate is also interesting to your theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper Kafel View Post
    Probably do you mean indole. Indole smell like fresh, gassy, airy realistic white floral with specific ,,plastic" ,,mothballs" note especially strong in dyed white floral in vase ( lilac especially: indole+cadaverine and sulfurous material). Iso eugenyl acetate smell also wet, damp, floral. And triplar!
    Ah yes, indole is definitely in anything Tuberose. Good point Kacper!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    I've actually worked on a Royal Mayfair match, it is tuberose, likely a base similar to the Firmenich one, and quite a bit of it; there could also be a touch of tuberose absolute. The top is dominated by eucalyptus EO, with phenyl ethyl alcohol that softens and adds rosy character, and I added touches of bergamot and bitter orange EO 1:1, and 1% lime (expressed). The lime note isn't even perceptible in RM and I have no idea why they listed it. The middle has very little if any rose notes, and probably some floralizers (Florol and Floralozone are what I'm using) but not Lilial or Hydroxcitronellal (they are not on the ingredients), and possibly a touch of juniper berry for the gin note. If there is any western red cedar, it is traces, and most of the "cedar" comes from Iso E Super. In the base there is a decent amount of white musk which I haven't quite matched, but have experimented most successfully with Galaxolide, Helvetolide, and Ambrettolide. There's also a good amount of Hedione (possibly regular w HC or Paradisone) and I have added some orange blossom base/oranger crystals for their claimed orange base note. Creed has either inverted some of the notes in their pyramid (orange and eucalyptus in the base instead of the top) or they really meant orange blossom. Honestly, it's better to trust your nose than their pyramids in most cases.

I can't speak for Windsor, I smelled in once when it was first released, but I know RM is the closest thing readily available.

As for the "one" note you're looking for, I don't know if it can be just one, but I have 0.5% Veloutone in the middle, perhaps that is it.

If anyone wants to go in on a GCMS I'm happy to donate my sample to science.
    Thanks! Florol and veloutone are strong suspects now!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper Kafel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Ah yes, indole is definitely in anything Tuberose. Good point Kacper!
    Normally I can spot the mothball aspect of indole, but maybe I'm perceiving it differently in these fragrances, so I'll add indole to the list of suspects!

It is definitely a wet, humid floral note that adds realism and greenness to the core rosy phenylethanol note. It's not spicy. Once I smell the combination, I spot it as its own thing.

Hmm. More maybe rosey direction? Maybe other rose material like rose oxide, peonile, rose crystals and captive petalia? Chloe like ultra feminine rose with strong chemical ,,perfumey" drydown.
    I love big dose phenylethanol with trace green material- maybe methyl heptine carbonate and undecavertol?