Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Lui is underrated

Loving it!!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Guerlain Lui is underrated

Also enjoy this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I almost never see it mentioned. I like it pretty well.

Basenotes Plus

It's a terrific carnation scent. Sort of a cross between the CdG Carnation (the disco'd one) and Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain.

Thanks for reminder on this one, I'll wear it tonight.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

I also enjoy Lui, a versatile woody oriental that seems modern. I picked up lots of clove and benzoin. Would love if Guerlain offers a bigger size option.

I like it. Bought it blind, haven’t looked back since. A lovely carnation-based scent, with some cloves tossed in for good measure. Perfectly unisex.

Agreed. Will be used alot when the temp begins to drop again.

It's very nice (especially the bottle) but nothing shocking and way too expensive!
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 25th June 2019 at 05:06 AM.

I've been thinking of picking it up blind - there are some great deals for it on Ebay and FragranceNet. It's almost never spoken about so I've always been intrigued by it, and of course I'm a huge Guerlain lover...Honestly I don't mind the smaller size, I'm totally over 100ml bottles. I do wish it was a bit less expensive for a 50ml, but then again there are way more expensive niche 50 or even 30ml fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Freed from BN Institution

It was nice although I probably would choose other Guerlain orientals over it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Agree. I grabbed a bottle when it came out and really enjoyed the crisp carnation - almost a 'dusty peppery nasturtium flower' vibe (if you've ever had nasturtium in a salad you'll know what I mean).

A friend helped me get a second bottle a few months ago (staff discount - his girlfriend works for LVMH Group). I wouldn't usually jump into grabbing a back-up so soon but I wonder how long this one will stay 'on the books', given it's a bit of a sleeper?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 25th June 2019 at 10:52 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Guerlain Lui has gone completely under my radar. This is the first I have heard of it. The notes look very interesting. I am intrigued.

The first time I tried it my immediate reaction was, eeurgh, dentist's mouthwash, but I recently smelled it on my partner without knowing what it was and had to do a volte-face. I'd be happy to get a bottle but not at full retail, and I haven't seen any unmissable promotions here in France.

I've been eyeing this one for a while, but some of the base notes listed put me off a bit, though I usually love the carnation-clove combination.

How much do the vanilla notes come through? How heavy is the smoke?
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone
    Currently wearing: Paithani by Penhaligon's

I don’t find it heavy on smoke or vanilla, but I love vanilla so maybe I just don’t notice it too much. When it first came out I bought it blind, liked it so I got a second bottle at Fragrancenet.

It’s got a perfect blend of vanilla, smoke, and that Guerlain feel.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's a terrific carnation scent. Sort of a cross between the CdG Carnation (the disco'd one) and Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain.

Thanks for reminder on this one, I'll wear it tonight.
    I don't love Lui, but I do applaud virtually any use of carnation, which I find is puzzlingly underutilized these days.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have no experience with it, but I'd love to sample one day.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

Been wanting to try this one as well. Need to move it up the list.
    Currently wearing: Kalan by Parfums de Marly

Blog Entries

I thought it was nice but something fell short for me.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by justfoxie View Post
    I've been eyeing this one for a while, but some of the base notes listed put me off a bit, though I usually love the carnation-clove combination.

How much do the vanilla notes come through? How heavy is the smoke?
    I consider the vanilla and smoke to be thoroughly blended into the scent although enough to identify them.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Banned

I’ve wondered about this one.

Never smelled it before....

Thank you N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer and Cameron for your insights on vanilla/smoke - that's really helpful! Another one maybe I'll bump up the list to see about sampling sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    I don't love Lui, but I do applaud virtually any use of carnation, which I find is puzzlingly underutilized these days.
    Second this! I don't actually care for carnations in real life, but in perfume they are a real gem. Especially that clove/carnation combination.
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone
    Currently wearing: Paithani by Penhaligon's

I like it too, though it's been a long time since I last wore it and I don't remember it vividly. I do recall it being very dusty in its sweetness, almost ashy, with a subtle nice/carnation spice undertone. There's a fruit note, but it's also on the dry side. It struck me as particularly versatile for a scent of this type.

Personality (not smell) is somewhat similar to Arsene Lupin Dandy in that it's not going to blow anyone's socks off with individuality, but it's very well made, smooth, versatile, unique enough and in keeping with the Guerlain pedigree, and just plain pleasant to smell.

If it were available at a discount, I'd be in, but it's a little pricey right now.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Wore it to work today and got a nice whiff of the right amount of sweet smokiness all day. Highly recommend trying this one. It’s more expensive than the usual but cheaper than the matiere line.

Banned

I was just about to make a similar thread...looks like you beat me to it!

LUI is really nice, it has a sophisticated, subtle kind of feeling to it that really pays off as you wear it over the course of a day. The presentation is excellent too; the bottle is sleek and sturdy and it comes in a hefty, well-made box that could be used for display. Although it doesn’t smell the same, it somehow reminds me of a smoky, incense+vanilla version of Dior Homme or Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Parfum (2018) on a more elegant, sophisticated level (this could just be a personal association though, so don’t expect to have the same reaction).

I originally bought mine from Nordstrom for the full price of $185, but couldn’t resist picking up a backup bottle of it for $120 from Fragrancenet yesterday. I was surprised to see it there.

Anyway, for those of you gearing up for the fall, this might be something worth considering.

The coolest thing to me about this one was the bottle, looking sort of Cigar Aficionado inspired, a lost gem from my childhood. I don't know if Lui was inspired by it as both are very smokey. I don't like Lui at all, it's quite unbalanced, from a rather prestigious brand like Guerlain that usually releases solid stuff. I feel the reason this didn't get to most markets, and prices slowly rising, because they likely already stopped making it due to poor sales. I wouldn't buy this even if it was $30 because it's simply not good. It tries too much to be too different, despite having pretty commonly used notes, the way they intertwined with each other is weird. It kind of just smells like a woman's very smoky version of Musc Raveguer.

Just got a (relatively) inexpensive tester. It's a pretty understated scent. Anyone draw parallels to Midnight in Paris? Might be the benzoin and smoke notes.
    Currently wearing: Portrayal Man by Amouage

Just bought a bottle myself after extensive testing. Pear, carnation, clove & benzoin are the main notes to my nose.
    However the last time I wore it, I picked up on cinnamon intertwined with the clove that I hadn’t noticed before. I ordered a bottle on the spot while driving down the road.

Another thing I’ve observed is how it’s built/structured almost identically to Prada infusion d’homme. Not the way it smells(they have nothing in common) but how it’s built on a base of benzoin and there aren’t really any basnotes.
    Ethereal, it slowly morphs through the opening and mid stages and then just floats and lingers until it slowly fades away in a hazy, semi smoky clove & carnation trail.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Just got a (relatively) inexpensive tester. It's a pretty understated scent. Anyone draw parallels to Midnight in Paris? Might be the benzoin and smoke notes.
    Yes. MIP with smoke