Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 25th June, 2019

Quarry, you are a heck of a gardener. I am marveling at the difference you've made on your grounds. I wish I had your vision (and energy!). And thank you, and Shycat, ExtremeK, Perfumed Lady and Cook.bot for your thoughts about daylilies. I think I'll start with a couple plain orange ones, though ExtremeK sent me a picture of really pretty red ones. Better see if they survive my care, or lack thereof, before branching out with fancy ones.

SOTD is vintage Bois des Iles parfum. The juice in my tiny rectangular mini is the consistency of syrup so I'd better use it up soon.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Back from vacation, have the "proof of vacation tan" from some beach days.

I got the massive bag of samples from Etat Libre d'Orange, and am today in Dangerous Complicity, picked at random, it's unremarkable but quite wearable.
    I sometimes miss tanning. I don't want to fade-out all my ink though. Old age is doing that, on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I'm giving Dasein Winter a good go this morning. My initial impression has been confirmed: it retreats too quickly. Initially, it bursts forth with a sweetish pine scent. Perhaps the least offensive fragrance I've ever tried. If those top notes stayed through heart-note time, I'd consider a bottle of this. Maybe liberal spraying would accomplish more than wrist dabbing? If I can get some at a discount, I just might. Seems like this would be a good scent to wear to stay focused and clear-headed. Truly a pleasant fragrance, but it lacks a "hook." It needs one thing more to help make it more interesting. I give it credit for filling a unique category amongst my reference samples.

Okay, some rip rap pix. Here are two of the areas that are completed.

BEFORE: wild grape vines scrambled over other invasives toward the end of our schoolyard's chainlink fence, which was lobbed off when the road was widened long ago. (You see that continuous brown "hedge" across the street in the background? That's one of the most invasive shrubs in the U.S., Japanese Knotweed. It's one single colony. This stuff is known to actually break up roadways.)

Attachment 104785

BELOW: I straightened up the end of the fence, added a section for address numbers, graded, covered with 10'x20' rubber roofing, and topped with rip rap. Split-rail cedar fence corners support nearly invisible wire fencing to keep dog safely in the yard.
    Attachment 104786

BELOW: Need to fill in exposed soil with "plant dam" daylilies to impede invasive plants that will always lie just to the north.
    Attachment 104787

One of my heroes, Lorrie Otto, insisted we should be responsible for the water that falls on our land.
    BELOW: In this area, I dug a 4'-deep retention swale (aka, "rain garden") which receives all the rainwater that falls on more than half of our house, as well as condensation discharge from the a/c. The orange line indicates where I buried the draining pipe under the driveway.
    Attachment 104788

BELOW: The bronze and green tones of Sweet Joe Pye Weed, a native wetland plant, will look nice as they fill in against the swale's stone back wall.
    Attachment 104789

BELOW: I've been wanting to hide that white propane tank for years. Finally, it's dithered into the landscape thanks to a lattice wrap. Again, there is rubber roofing below the stonework, except for a slit where I transplanted native spiderwort. I cut off a third of the plant to ease its establishment, but the photo at the bottom shows it's grasslike leaves and blue flowers.
    Attachment 104790
    Attachment 104791

I'll also point out that the large-leaved plant in the background is the native Prairie Dock. Its roots may grow as deep as 15', if I remember correctly. Because the transpiration of moisture through its leaves comes from so deep underground, its leaves are cooler than most, and it's said the native Americans used the leaves to cool themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Have you ever read though the posts on the Conehead Group? It discusses many fragrances along the lines of Bowmakers. I love the pine/resin genre. Regarding the Nissan 370Z, I’m enjoying the feeling of really driving again. I can feel the road and hear the engine and it’s quite exhilarating. I found out that 90% of Z owners are male so that’s interesting. Tonight, I’m taking it up Highway 101 to the Central Coast, where I’ll be spending a few days.

I’m wearing Mugler Cuir Impertinent today. There’s nothing better that a good Mugler scent. The house has a unique sensibility that suits me to a T.

Quarry, you’re my heroine! I appreciate the joys of physical labor and you really take it to a higher level. Bravo!

Have a good day.

TRILBY... No, I've not peeked at what's written on / at the coneheads group. Might have to.
    My ex, ex boyfriend had a 280Z, year unknown. It was an automatic. When my Toyota was in the shop for repairs he loaned me his car (we worked different shifts). I loved driving that car. How I never got a speeding ticket, is a miracle.

Impressive stone work, there Quarry girl! I'm tired just lookin' at the pics!
    Sono strano e sono orgoglioso di essorlo...

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTA

Nuit de Bakélite
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

wearing dad's aftershave™

I, too, am in awe of Quarry's efforts (and results)! And, fwiw, I echo Cook.bot's inquiry about the rationale for a barrier beneath the rocks.

SoTD is ...

L'Eau Intense by Carven

/Acey

Bond No. 9 Great Jones
    greatjonespicture.jpg
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20181214_225456_418.jpg

Aramis 900 by Estée Lauder (1973)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Tai Winds by Avon

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: Basala by Shiseido

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

For the evening I'm scent-twin w/Foxbins in Bois des iles extrait. Modern formulation, though

Penhaligon's Luna

Thanks for the daylilies. There must be some variety of it that has fragrance because in my parents' yard we smell them every year.
    Daylilies are my blind brother's favorite flowers to smell.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Blog Entries

Welcome back, Robin!

Q, thanks for the pics, & once again l stand in awe of your stamina & determination! l've seen Japanese Knotweed as we also have it here in the UK, & it is truly evil stuff! God forbid that it should ever make it across the road to you. Of course the rubber sheeting is there to prevent the weeds & invasive plants from migrating between the rocks onto your property, right?

l finally spent the gift certificate for Surrender to Chance that l got for my birthday, as they had a sale last week, & my order arrived (super fast!) today. Along with some samples, l got myself a decant of Montale's Orange Flowers, so that's my SOTE.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    Quarry, you are a heck of a gardener. I am marveling at the difference you've made on your grounds. I wish I had your vision (and energy!). And thank you, and Shycat, ExtremeK, Perfumed Lady and Cook.bot for your thoughts about daylilies. I think I'll start with a couple plain orange ones, though ExtremeK sent me a picture of really pretty red ones. Better see if they survive my care, or lack thereof, before branching out with fancy ones.

SOTD is vintage Bois des Iles parfum. The juice in my tiny rectangular mini is the consistency of syrup so I'd better use it up soon.
    Daylilies do orange the best of any plant in the world! One of my very favorites is Spacecoast Sunkist Splendor-- pictures do not do ANY justice to the glowing quality of soft yellow orange with diamond dusting. It's like a scoop of orange sherbet in the garden. I don't have my own picture of it--or have it at all anymore. Turns out you CAN kill a daylily if it gets mowed over enough times. But these are this years blooms from a couple days ago:

20190622_111937 (2).jpg
    Above: Shores of Time

20190622_111826 (2).jpg
    Above: Bluegrass Music

20190622_112054 (2).jpg
    Above: Laughing Skies

Sotd for me is Caudalie Fleur de Vigne-- a light and lovely summer fragrance. Transient citrus, transparent and green.

Quarry, you are the person I fantasize about being right before I take a nap.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Basenotes Plus

Have a great day everyone.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Ryan, Trilby, Cook.bot, foxbins, HoP, Acey, Shy, I'm happy to provide "entertainment."
    Lovely, frilly flowers, Shy.

As teardrop notes, the rubber is a weed barrier. Without it, the rocks would disappear in two years. Brambles would erupt from below, and two kinds of bindweed would blow seeds in the crevices and germinate. There are a variety of geo-textiles useful for landscaping underlayment. Rubber roofing is grippy, like car tires. The sheeting stretches to conforms to both the terrain and the lumpy rip rap, interlocking the whole with great stability.

Post shower, I'm smelling orangey in Boucheron and drinking Zevia orange soda.
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.

Between two pine trees

Quarry, that is amazing. I'm both inspired and exhausted. You've utterly transformed the area, and it looks amazing. I especially love the rain garden!

Gorgeous, gorgeous daylillies, Shy. They are spectacular.

I think you'll be pleased starting with the just the garden-variety (hehehe) Stellas, foxbins!

I just finished making my first-ever (drinking) shrub -- with raspberry, apricot, and thyme. Next time I may try reducing the apple cider vinegar and adding a splash of balsamic vinegar to the mix. But it's an outstanding addition to a glass of sparkling water with ice and a lime. YUM!

I decided to try a Pulp and ELdO I Am Trash comparison. I Am Trash was sweeter and woodier, while Pulp was more tart but also more synthetic (which I don't really notice except when I'm sniffing them both, one after the other).

Now for a walk even though it's a bit warm and muggy.
    Currently wearing: Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Basenotes Institution

ExtremeK - I cannot imagine layering Pulp with anything it's so strong (cough cough). That drink sounds yummy. I'll be right over

I smelled awesome today in:

Amber Cologne by Bortnikoff Perfumes

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Between two pine trees

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ExtremeK - I cannot imagine layering Pulp with anything it's so strong (cough cough). That drink sounds yummy. I'll be right over
    Good god, man, I'm not a savage! No, definitely not a layering experiment (I'm with you on Pulp's strength!) -- I just wanted to compare them. So a single spray of Pulp on the left wrist, 3 sprays of I Am Trash on the right wrist. And *still* Pulp outlasted I Am Trash I still prefer Pulp. You're welcome to come by for an ExtremeK spritzer!

Also the ELdO sample of Attaquer Le Soleil Marquis de Sade smells AMAZING on David. Because cistus and labdanum. I swear those notes (along with ambergris) were made for him.

Back from my walk, I'm all sweaty. Rather than fighting it, I think I'll play it up with either some Cedre Sambac or Songes EDP.

ETA: I would've put good money on Songes, but it was Cedre Sambac's special combination of sweaty jasmine and wood that called to me. I went with 9 sprays. Seems about right.
    Currently wearing: Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Michael Kors Michael for Men tonight
    One if by land...two if by sea...three if by air....
    Mike I'm Erika Grate , a Djin!--Or a Nym?
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

SOTE

Vetiver Extraordinaire

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Sotn

maai

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Freed from BN Institution

SOTE was Dior Fahrenheit
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I'm giving Dasein Winter a good go this morning. My initial impression has been confirmed: it retreats too quickly. Initially, it bursts forth with a sweetish pine scent. Perhaps the least offensive fragrance I've ever tried. If those top notes stayed through heart-note time, I'd consider a bottle of this. Maybe liberal spraying would accomplish more than wrist dabbing? If I can get some at a discount, I just might. Seems like this would be a good scent to wear to stay focused and clear-headed. Truly a pleasant fragrance, but it lacks a "hook." It needs one thing more to help make it more interesting. I give it credit for filling a unique category amongst my reference samples.

Okay, some rip rap pix. Here are two of the areas that are completed.

BEFORE: wild grape vines scrambled over other invasives toward the end of our schoolyard's chainlink fence, which was lobbed off when the road was widened long ago. (You see that continuous brown "hedge" across the street in the background? That's one of the most invasive shrubs in the U.S., Japanese Knotweed. It's one single colony. This stuff is known to actually break up roadways.)

Attachment 104785

BELOW: I straightened up the end of the fence, added a section for address numbers, graded, covered with 10'x20' rubber roofing, and topped with rip rap. Split-rail cedar fence corners support nearly invisible wire fencing to keep dog safely in the yard.
    Attachment 104786

BELOW: Need to fill in exposed soil with "plant dam" daylilies to impede invasive plants that will always lie just to the north.
    Attachment 104787

One of my heroes, Lorrie Otto, insisted we should be responsible for the water that falls on our land.
    BELOW: In this area, I dug a 4'-deep retention swale (aka, "rain garden") which receives all the rainwater that falls on more than half of our house, as well as condensation discharge from the a/c. The orange line indicates where I buried the draining pipe under the driveway.
    Attachment 104788

BELOW: The bronze and green tones of Sweet Joe Pye Weed, a native wetland plant, will look nice as they fill in against the swale's stone back wall.
    Attachment 104789

BELOW: I've been wanting to hide that white propane tank for years. Finally, it's dithered into the landscape thanks to a lattice wrap. Again, there is rubber roofing below the stonework, except for a slit where I transplanted native spiderwort. I cut off a third of the plant to ease its establishment, but the photo at the bottom shows its grasslike leaves and blue flowers.
    Attachment 104790
    Attachment 104791

I'll also point out that the large-leaved plant in the background is the native Prairie Dock. Its roots may grow as deep as 15', if I remember correctly. Because the transpiration of moisture through its leaves comes from so deep underground, its leaves are cooler than most, and it's said the native Americans used the leaves to cool themselves.
    Wow these are wonderful Quarry All that hard work surely pays off.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post

Is the juice starting to go south?