Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default SOTD: Tuesday, 25th June, 2019

Scent of the Day Thread for Tuesday, 25th June, 2019

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Monday, 24th June, 2019 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Monday, 24th June, 2019 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: Crushed Fig Leaf by CB I Hate Perfume

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 25th June, 2019

Amber Absolute Oil by Clive Christian

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Silver wind wood

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

Freed from BN Institution

Sampling for the first time ever vintage Givenchy Gentlemen
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Do any of these daylilies under discussion have a scent?

Thanks to the SOTD thread, I've just realized that all my life I've been confusing daylilies with alstroemeria.

Good morning everyone and thanks for yesterday's advice regarding my itchy skin Last night I went on and off sleep all night due to the itching. I really hopes it gets better soon Sotd for a grey day is L'ombre dans l'eau.
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

hello all,
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Good morning everyone and thanks for yesterday's advice regarding my itchy skin Last night I went on and off sleep all night due to the itching. I really hopes it gets better soon Sotd for a grey day is L'ombre dans l'eau.
    Is there a topical cream that you could use to subside the itching? Did your doctor rule out ringworm? How about eczema?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Morning all!

We've had lots of rain overnight, & it remains warm & muggy.

l'm sampling Jungle Jezebel by Sarah Baker Perfumes, which isn't in the Directory yet. This is a weird one for sure, pairing bubblegum with civet. HoP, did you try this one? l'd be interested in your thoughts.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

JUngle Jezebel does indeed sound a weird one, Teardrop!

I am wearing the more mainstream Terre de Lumiere, which is a soft,
    people-pleaser scent and slightly reminiscent of YSL Cinema;
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Do any of these daylilies under discussion have a scent?

Thanks to the SOTD thread, I've just realized that all my life I've been confusing daylilies with alstroemeria.

No, not really. I've read some that claim to be scented, but I've got about 200 and never noticed any scent on any of mine. My parents had a daylily farm with several hundred more varieties--none scented to speak of. The appeal is that they are easy to grow, few pests, nearly impossible to kill, and every morning the garden is different. It's a good excuse to walk my yard with a cup of coffee in the morning--to see what's blooming. It's easy to make your own crosses and fun to do seedlings and see what they look like.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Love's Baby Soft by Love's

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 25th June, 2019

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to all. Acqua di Giò for me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Eau de Guerlain today
    One if by land...two if by sea...three if by air....
    8÷2(2X2) = 1, but then 8÷2(2X2) = 16...??

Hello all.

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain
    DONNA

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

inees... I hope the itchiness clears up soon!

Trilby... Bowmakers, is a must try. How's the new car performing?

teardrop... Jungle J is one I've not tried. It sounds weird, even for me.

Tilda Swinton Like this by ELdO
    I am purging my wardrobe. See my profile > About Me page > Biography section, for details... check out my swap list to see what I'm selling.

Backing up my gardening pals, daylilies are not the same plant as florist lilies. Daylilies are scientifically called Hemerocallis and the lilies that grow from bulbs (commonly used in bouquets) are Lilium. There are in fact a family of florist type lily bulbs that are easy care, the Asiatics. But back to daylilies, I have diploid, triploid, tetraploid and good ol' orange "ditch lilies" (in my area the veteran gardeners call them "homestead lilies"). All are SO easy to grow! And such a range of color to choose from. I used a bunch of colors in my front garden to make a daylily rainbow. The deadheading that was mentioned is a quick, easy and pleasant job.

Nope, no scent to speak of among my daylilies, other than one rather plain yellow one with a very, very faint hint of a narcissus-like fragrance. Nowhere near as satisfying as actual narcissus. And I love alstromeria as well! Don't grow them but paired them with little irises (still never sure about the plural of iris?) in my bridal bouquet.

TL; DR- I LOVE daylilies! Highly recommend!

I'm so sorry to read about your itchy night, ine! Fingers crossed that you'll be able to rest tonight.

Chant d'Aromes for me this morning.

R de Capucci

Back from vacation, have the "proof of vacation tan" from some beach days.

I got the massive bag of samples from Etat Libre d'Orange, and am today in Dangerous Complicity, picked at random, it's unremarkable but quite wearable.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTD

Azemour les Orangers
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    R de Capucci
    Great choice!
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Between two pine trees

Now I really want to fill in the remaining open spots in my garden with daylilies and iris galore! But it's long past planting time here. It's starting to get hot, which puts too much stress on new plantings. I'll have to wait for autumn. Foxbins, you'll want to water some at the beginning while they get established, but after the first season or so, you should be good to go with just occasional waterings, depending on the species you choose. I'll think some more on other options

I'm enjoying the wafts of a single spray of the tart, juicy goodness of Byredo Pulp this morning.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Woman by Amouage

I'm jealous Robin...so much rain here and not a lot of sun on days off.

Freshly laundered clothing vibes are really strong with this one...seems quite similar to the Eau de Toilette from what I remember. Smells good but unremarkable.

Officially wearing SL Rahat Loukhoum (sprayed on chest) but also testing 4160 Tuesdays Centrepiece on my arms. It smells like spice, honey and candle wax.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I'm giving Dasein Winter a good go this morning. My initial impression has been confirmed: it retreats too quickly. Initially, it bursts forth with a sweetish pine scent. Perhaps the least offensive fragrance I've ever tried. If those top notes stayed through heart-note time, I'd consider a bottle of this. Maybe liberal spraying would accomplish more than wrist dabbing? If I can get some at a discount, I just might. Seems like this would be a good scent to wear to stay focused and clear-headed. Truly a pleasant fragrance, but it lacks a "hook." It needs one thing more to help make it more interesting. I give it credit for filling a unique category amongst my reference samples.

Okay, some rip rap pix. Here are two of the areas that are completed.

BEFORE: wild grape vines scrambled over other invasives toward the end of our schoolyard's chainlink fence, which was lobbed off when the road was widened long ago. (You see that continuous brown "hedge" across the street in the background? That's one of the most invasive shrubs in the U.S., Japanese Knotweed. It's one single colony. This stuff is known to actually break up roadways.)

IMG_2897.jpg

BELOW: I straightened up the end of the fence, added a section for address numbers, graded, covered with 10'x20' rubber roofing, and topped with rip rap. Split-rail cedar fence corners support nearly invisible wire fencing to keep dog safely in the yard.
    DSC_0118.jpg

BELOW: Need to fill in exposed soil with "plant dam" daylilies to impede invasive plants that will always lie just to the north.
    DSC_0122.jpg

One of my heroes, Lorrie Otto, insisted we should be responsible for the water that falls on our land.
    BELOW: In this area, I dug a 4'-deep retention swale (aka, "rain garden") which receives all the rainwater that falls on more than half of our house, as well as condensation discharge from the a/c. The orange line indicates where I buried the draining pipe under the driveway.
    DSC_0105.jpg

BELOW: The bronze and green tones of Sweet Joe Pye Weed, a native wetland plant, will look nice as they fill in against the swale's stone back wall.
    DSC_0095.jpg

BELOW: I've been wanting to hide that white propane tank for years. Finally, it's dithered into the landscape thanks to a lattice wrap. Again, there is rubber roofing below the stonework, except for a slit where I transplanted native spiderwort. I cut off a third of the plant to ease its establishment, but the photo at the bottom shows its grasslike leaves and blue flowers.
    DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg

I'll also point out that the large-leaved plant in the background is the native Prairie Dock. Its roots may grow as deep as 15', if I remember correctly. Because the transpiration of moisture through its leaves comes from so deep underground, its leaves are cooler than most, and it's said the native Americans used the leaves to cool themselves.
    Last edited by Quarry; 25th June 2019 at 06:14 PM.
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Great choice!
    Thanks. Happy to have this one in my collection.

Dang Quarry, you've been a busy one!

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Trilby... Bowmakers, is a must try. How's the new car performing?
    Have you ever read though the posts on the Conehead Group? It discusses many fragrances along the lines of Bowmakers. I love the pine/resin genre. Regarding the Nissan 370Z, I’m enjoying the feeling of really driving again. I can feel the road and hear the engine and it’s quite exhilarating. I found out that 90% of Z owners are male so that’s interesting. Tonight, I’m taking it up Highway 101 to the Central Coast, where I’ll be spending a few days.

I’m wearing Mugler Cuir Impertinent today. There’s nothing better that a good Mugler scent. The house has a unique sensibility that suits me to a T.

Quarry, you’re my heroine! I appreciate the joys of physical labor and you really take it to a higher level. Bravo!

Have a good day.
    August Picks

Ambre Sultan, Copper Skies, Cuir Impertinent, L’Air Du Desert Marocain

Dior Dune PH

Currently wearing: Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

Quarry, I am so exhausted on your behalf. You deserve unlimited ice cream for supper tonight. And I learned that the weedy blue flowers on the side of my house are spiderwort!

That is some impressive work. I have just one question: If there are sheets of rubber roofing under the rip rap, won't the rocks be vulnerable to being dislodged in very heavy rainstorms? Without soil underneath them, it seems like they could travel under the force of water.