Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default How Do You Spray?

Does the way you spray effect longevity, projection and sillage? Eg. Close to skin giving higher concentration in certain spots or further away giving a wider coverage?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How Do You Spray?

Quote Originally Posted by swall101 View Post
    Does the way you spray effect longevity, projection and sillage?
    Not for me. Have always sprayed about three inches away from my skin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I do a foot away from chest if I do a chest shot, elsewise close arm and back of neck sprays, plus hand application to sides of neck. That's it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

Really depends. If I go to work, I usually do concentrated /focused sprays on chest or neck and also arms depending on if I wear long sleeved or short sleeved that day.
    If I go to gym, I like to spray spread out like a spritz on my neck, chest, thighs, calves, arms, etc. and usually a freshie type scent.
    If I am at home, I usually am testing a scent while Im doing things so Ill do a focused three sprays on one arm and something else on the other arm. and so forth.
    Before bed , I'll do wider coverage again, because concentrated sprays will rub the scent off onto my sheets so thatll mix with next time w another scent. Basically my 'pajamas' is my fragrance coverage usually, and that is it.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Extra sprays can help performance if a fragrance has quiet, but long-lasting basenotes. But you are limited by the quality of those basenotes. No point building up cheap base notes that are going to send people running out of the office.

Creed Neroli Sauvage is one I have had success with in building up the basenotes with a heavy application. 3 sprays will result in the top notes fading after 30 minutes and then the basenotes are hard to smell. But the basenotes are there, they are very pleasant, and they can be made to project for up to 3 hours with a heavy application.

if you are seeking to extend topnotes, then you won’t have much success. You might get an extra 15 minutes of topnotes by spraying on clothes, but then that will hurt the performance of the mid and base because typically clothes don’t get enough heat in them to lift the heavier mid and basenotes. Each fragrance is different and you can manipulate the heat exposure to get the most out of each phase, but usually at a cost to another phase.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Extra sprays can help performance if a fragrance has quiet, but long-lasting basenotes. But you are limited by the quality of those basenotes. No point building up cheap base notes that are going to send people running out of the office.

Creed Neroli Sauvage is one I have had success with in building up the basenotes with a heavy application. 3 sprays will result in the top notes fading after 30 minutes and then the basenotes are hard to smell. But the basenotes are there, they are very pleasant, and they can be made to project for up to 3 hours with a heavy application.

if you are seeking to extend topnotes, then you won’t have much success. You might get an extra 15 minutes of topnotes by spraying on clothes, but then that will hurt the performance of the mid and base because typically clothes don’t get enough heat in them to lift the heavier mid and basenotes. Each fragrance is different and you can manipulate the heat exposure to get the most out of each phase, but usually at a cost to another phase.
    good info thanks
    Parfum de Marly Oajan
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

New ones start with one sharp blast just under the adam's apple and I work outward from there, depending on the performance, then add sprays and locations as necessary to keep me company through at least a good part of the day. My target projection radius is very short - fragrances are not intended to inspire conversation, at least when I wear them.

Affecting that is sprayer performance and quality, season and type of fragrance, mood, time of application and a host of other things that are impossible to address in a systematic way, so I just try to develop good general practices, then take what I get. Some days I do better than others - part of the fun. Basic rules include when in doubt, don't, non-detection of a fragrance before I leave the house is never a reason to apply more, recognize that what I smell is only an indicator of what others smell - it's not the same thing, that kind of stuff.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

...by pressing the button with that tiny little hole in it on top of the bottle!
    Currently wearing: L'Oud by Collistar

I'd say I spray 3 to 5 inches away. As long as its hitting your skin, distance doesn't matter.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Freed from BN Institution

Just the neck region and on the wrist a few inches a way when spraying. Nothing special about the application.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Basenotes Junkie

Just press the trigger until your finger gets sore.

Not sure if it lasts longer, but i pick up the smell better when i spray a foot away so it covers bigger areas. The chest for example.

Dependent

Close, regardless. I run warm so having the extra coverage doesn't really aid in projection etc. Plus, it's probably placebo, but I feel like I waste less when spraying up close.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Just press the trigger until your finger gets sore.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a good indicator of adequate coverage.

Basenotes Plus

Looks like there is no real convention and am guessing everyone’s skin is different.

Funnily enough Creed Neroli Sauvage is what prompted my question. Weather getting warmer so thought I’d give it a try and performance is terrible, especially for the price. Lovely smell but lasts barely 30 mins so I will try the recommendation, thanks NickZee.

Not too close (to avoid a wet spot) or too far (to not mist the room and waste fragrance).

Sometimes I do consider to squat like a frog, spray above my head, to then leap upwards, twirling like Jeremy Fragrance, and to film it so I can watch it in slow motion on Youtube later.

No effect so far differing according to spraying method, though admittedly applying natural spray fragrances in the most mundane way (s) possible:

namely pointing the sprayer towards the most frequent application points (neck, chest, behind ears, occasionally wrists) and pushing the sprayer, sometimes or even often reaching over-spraying levels/amounts.

About a foot from the chest and about six inches from the outsides of my forearms. I do the outsides of my forearms because I find that the scent carries up to my nose much better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not for me. Have always sprayed about three inches away from my skin.
    Same.

Usually I cross my arm in front of my chest and spray both - that way you get a little on your chest, a little on the back of your arm, and none of it's wasted. I also sometimes spray toward my chest/neck from slightly above my head at a 45 degree angle. Gets good coverage without wasting too much. I also like spraying into the neck of my shirt once or twice, which gets coverage on both clothes and chest.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    Carpal tunnel syndrome is a good indicator of adequate coverage.
    Indeed.