Code of Conduct

Thread: green top note

Default green top note

Hi I am looking for green top note that smells a bit like stemone but is much less substantive - I need it to last around 2 hours (on a smelling strip). Thank you!

Default Re: green top note

Give Triplal (8 hours via TGSC) or cis-3-hexanol / leaf alcohol (4 hours) a try

Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

i highly recommend theaspirane in combination with stemone. and galbanum pyrazine might fit this formula also very well. its green in the direction of green bell peppers, and not grassy green like leaf alcohol or triplal (which doesn't mean that those materials won't be useful). galbanum pyrazine will make it a bit dryer, and will add tremendous lift to the top.

Oh god, I love theaspirane!! It is certainly a top note and green. It almost smells like green tea. It's so useful and more flexible than it first appears. I use mine diluted to 10%. It is strong and yes doesn't stay around too long. It pairs well with leaf alcohol, triplal, c-6 acetate and every other green thing out there. This is the first notes of a song.

Thank you very much for your responses. I greatly value your input.

The reason I was looking for an extremely short lived molecule is because I wanted there to be an initial green smell to the perfume (green like stems and vegetation green) and then for the citrus (including d limonene to appear. I've tried using cis 3 hexenol but it doesnt give the right type of green...its much too grassy rather than heavy pungent tree leaf type of smell that I need.

Is it possible to use something extremely diffusive which would appear before the d limonene, but as the d limonene appears it would then take over this material? Or are there any short lived materials like this (heavy green vegetation type) Thank you

So I still suggest the theaspirane .1 but also suggest Dimethyl benzyl carbinol paired with the limonene. Maybe even try Honeyflor as it would come in with the theaspirane or a tiny bit before. Very powerferul mine is diluted to 1%. It's hard to get "heavy" notes that are top notes but the honey flor with it's honey nuance is heavier. So with some guesses you are looking at.

honeyflor .01 1hr
    theaspirane .1 3-4hr
    limonene .2 4hr
    dmbc .2 6hr
    rest of formula 99.49
    total= 100

Quote Originally Posted by amateurperfumer View Post
    Or are there any short lived materials like this (heavy green vegetation type) Thank you
    i once worked on a green compost-like top note for a room scent, and the key was dimethyl sulphide in combination with mainly leaf alcohol and galbanum pyrazine (with quite a heavy load of benzyl salicylate in the overall formula). maybe DMS will bring you closer to the 'vegetation' type note, and it is wayyyyy more diffusive than d limonene. as is galbanum pyrazine.
    RSGs advice sounds good, especially including the the dmbc.

Herboxane could also be of use as well, I love how it smells.

Just a thought, If you wanted to prolong a citrus effect and don't mind adding some lemon character, citral will outlast limonene (and pair well), try it at 1:5-10 limonene because of its strength.

You could also add linalyl acetate / linalool in a 10:4 ratio to emulate Bergamot EO (Philip Kraft, S&C) as well.

I'm intrigued with all of this Theaspirane talk and it's added to my cart. Thanks for the suggestions!

Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    So I still suggest the theaspirane .1 but also suggest Dimethyl benzyl carbinol paired with the limonene. Maybe even try Honeyflor as it would come in with the theaspirane or a tiny bit before. Very powerferul mine is diluted to 1%. It's hard to get "heavy" notes that are top notes but the honey flor with it's honey nuance is heavier. So with some guesses you are looking at.

honeyflor .01 1hr
    theaspirane .1 3-4hr
    limonene .2 4hr
    dmbc .2 6hr
    rest of formula 99.49
    total= 100
    I ordered a sample of Honeyflor for the same reason amateurperfumer initially asked about so when it arrives I’ll do some testing and see how it goes. I’m working on a green mandarin fragrance and think Honeyflor would be a nice top note addition. Thanks for the info, RSG.

Barry