Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o
    Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Different versions of Mitsouko

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post

http://www.luvparfum.com/cgi-bin/sea...=Guerlain&nh=2
    https://guerlainperfumes.blogspot.co...uko-c1919.html
    By appearance and comparison to other photos online, it's from at least the 1960s.
    I agree with theladymay, steer clear of the rosebud bottles and go for the square bottles with heart-shaped stoppers. The color should be golden, not brown.

I would echo theladymay's views. If you're looking to experience Mitsouko in her best, most rounded, most undamaged state, I would avoid 'deep vintage' if I were you and privilege juice from the 1980s or especially 1990s, preferably with a lighter colour than that the photos above. Mitsouko does seem to age much worse than the others (excepting Vol de Nuit, which can also suffer). Luckily there's plenty of sealed bottles to be had on eBay at reasonable prices.

Another thing to take into consideration is that vintage Mitsouko can really vary depending on the particular batch you're smelling, much more than any other Guerlain extraits in my experience. I have several different vintages of extrait open, and some are bright, soft and peachy where others seem to be all spice and dark mossiness, seemingly quite independently of their respective ages.

Basenotes Plus

Awesome tips. Thanks, guys!
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The Mitsouko parfum made it from Russia. It's noticeably different from the edt, at least in the opening. It's stronger, naturally, and has some extra notes. Slightly sweeter. After 20 minutes, it's much more similar to the edt.

Attachment 106315

My initial impression is that I don't like it quite as much as the edt, which is fresh and lighthearted by comparison. LiveJazz's edc is still my top pick, but the edt is so similar, I'm happy with it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The Mitsouko parfum made it from Russia. It's noticeably different from the edt, at least in the opening. It's stronger, naturally, and has some extra notes. Slightly sweeter. After 20 minutes, it's much more similar to the edt....

My initial impression is that I don't like it quite as much as the edt, which is fresh and lighthearted by comparison. LiveJazz's edc is still my top pick, but the edt is so similar, I'm happy with it.
    Glad it arrived safely! Perhaps you might enjoy it more in cooler weather? I don't reach for Mitsouko parfum much in the summer, but I do enjoy the deeper base sometimes.

What is the date of this bottle? 1990's?

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Glad it arrived safely! Perhaps you might enjoy it more in cooler weather? I don't reach for Mitsouko parfum much in the summer, but I do enjoy the deeper base sometimes.

What is the date of this bottle? 1990's?
    I think this is a 1990s bottle. It works as a parfum. It's interesting. It's not the style of fragrance, chypre, normally done as a parfum, is it? Imagining Pour Monsieur (pre-oak moss restrictions) as a parfum is interesting - thicker oak moss, thicker lemon.

I'm happy to have a second version of Mitsouko. For the Juxtapozbliss recommendation, I would still say edc or edt ahead of the thicker formulas, but as long as the bottle is old enough, and has oak moss, I don't think he can go wrong.

Basenotes Plus

I adore Mitsouko, but only the really vintage parfum and PDT.

I have had several bottles of the pure parfum, both the rosebud bottles and those with the heart shaped stopper and ALL of them have been gorgeous. Admittedly, I have only bought unopened bottles from sellers I'd worked with before. One of our own BNers (Starletfume) sells amazing rosebud bottles of Mitsouko on Etsy.

I have tried the modern version and semi-modern was not happy. After smelling the vintage version, nothing else comes even close.
    Currently wearing: MAAI by Bogue Profumo

I think this is a 1990s bottle. It works as a parfum. It's interesting. It's not the style of fragrance, chypre, normally done as a parfum, is it? Imagining Pour Monsieur (pre-oak moss restrictions) as a parfum is interesting - thicker oak moss, thicker lemon.

I'm happy to have a second version of Mitsouko. For the Juxtapozbliss recommendation, I would still say edc or edt ahead of the thicker formulas, but as long as the bottle is old enough, and has oak moss, I don't think he can go wrong.
    Sounds like good advice. Thanks.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Please don’t be offended by what I am about to say but this could be relevant to the thread topic so bear with me.

I don’t usually go out of my way to test women’s fragrance unless I’m looking for a gift, so fragrances like Mitsouko are not something that come up in my usual testing rounds. Whilst at the shops last week I saw a small bottle of Mitsouko on the shelf behind a fragrance counter and asked the SA if I could test it on card. He kindly obliged and went on to serve another customer. Let me just say I have tried it a few times in the past so am at least mildly acquainted with the scent. I put the test strip to my nose and was overcome by a ghastly smell of vomit and faeces (accompanying the more usual notes I am familiar with).

Is it usually like this? I haven’t had this with Mitsouko before so it was quite a shock to have these notes assault my sense of smell like that. Almost felt like an olfactory punch. I have no idea which concentration it was. I physically recoiled at the smell of it and felt quite sick afterwards. I promptly put the tester strip down and left the shop to clear my airways.

Was this just a bad bottle? When I’ve smelled Mitsouko before its been more like a typical chypre with a napthalene mothball top. Seeing as there are Mitsouko aficionados in the room could someone please throw some light on what this was or could have been?
    (Note - I believe the tester strip was clean because it was in a tall pot behind the counter and not reachable by customers).
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Please don’t be offended by what I am about to say but this could be relevant to the thread topic so bear with me.

I don’t usually go out of my way to test women’s fragrance unless I’m looking for a gift, so fragrances like Mitsouko are not something that come up in my usual testing rounds. Whilst at the shops last week I saw a small bottle of Mitsouko on the shelf behind a fragrance counter and asked the SA if I could test it on card. He kindly obliged and went on to serve another customer. Let me just say I have tried it a few times in the past so am at least mildly acquainted with the scent. I put the test strip to my nose and was overcome by a ghastly smell of vomit and faeces (accompanying the more usual notes I am familiar with).

Is it usually like this? I haven’t had this with Mitsouko before so it was quite a shock to have these notes assault my sense of smell like that. Almost felt like an olfactory punch. I have no idea which concentration it was. I physically recoiled at the smell of it and felt quite sick afterwards. I promptly put the tester strip down and left the shop to clear my airways.

Was this just a bad bottle? When I’ve smelled Mitsouko before its been more like a typical chypre with a napthalene mothball top. Seeing as there are Mitsouko aficionados in the room could someone please throw some light on what this was or could have been?
    (Note - I believe the tester strip was clean because it was in a tall pot behind the counter and not reachable by customers).

It’s never been like this for me. What a strange story. It is to me a chypre with an interesting and cryptic top note (they claim it’s peach). It’s very very good.

Missing Oakmoss

I have no idea, though it's hard to imagine even a bottle that's turned smelling like feces and vomit - to me, bad Mitsouko is pungent, but in a varnish-y way. Maybe Mitsouko has been reformulated yet again, and you smelled a fresh bottle of a bad blend. Vintage is the way to go with Mitsouko, in my opinion. One needn't look for bottles earlier than the late 80s through the 90s to find a good one.

The oak moss vintage is the way to go. Look for older boxes.

Mitsouko parfum killed it today. It rocked so hard as my scent of the day, my SO went for it for her scent of the evening - the only Guerlain she seems to like!

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    It’s never been like this for me. What a strange story. It is to me a chypre with an interesting and cryptic top note (they claim it’s peach). It’s very very good.
    The top really wasn’t peach.

When you are expecting a pleasant smell and get hit with something as unpleasant as that it puts you on the back foot when testing.
    Its like a bad hangover that makes you weary of anything remotely alcoholic and just the thought of it is enough to make things vivid again.

Uhh. Really left a horrible smell in my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I have no idea, though it's hard to imagine even a bottle that's turned smelling like feces and vomit - to me, bad Mitsouko is pungent, but in a varnish-y way. Maybe Mitsouko has been reformulated yet again, and you smelled a fresh bottle of a bad blend. Vintage is the way to go with Mitsouko, in my opinion. One needn't look for bottles earlier than the late 80s through the 90s to find a good one.
    If it was just a turned bottle fair enough but I wouldn’t expect something to change so drastically even if it had turned. I’ve had one or two bottles from my teen years turn (didn’t know better and left them on a shelf), but they were lighter more citrus/aquatic and they got that ‘turned’ smell especially in the top notes.

I know many here on Basenotes have a liking for challenging animalic fragrances but this almost made me heave. I won’t be trying Mitsouko again in 2019 and not from the same store. If its a reformulation it won’t last. In a couple of years when this memory has faded I’ll try vintage as you have suggested.

The oak moss vintage is the way to go. Look for older boxes.

Mitsouko parfum killed it today. It rocked so hard as my scent of the day, my SO went for it for her scent of the evening - the only Guerlain she seems to like!
    I’ll keep this in mind thanks Bavard.

Freed from BN Institution

A newly arrival: A PDT bottle from June 1987
    Attachment 106705
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Missing Oakmoss

Great year and concentration!

I put the test strip to my nose and was overcome by a ghastly smell of vomit and faeces
    After reading what you wrote I wonder if only both excretion smelled like that. LOL
    Putting jokes aside, that sounds really strange. My oldest bottle of Mitsouko is a 1/4 full montre cologne from the late 1950s. I keep it for its beauty because obviously it's not in a good shape anymore, but it does not smell at all like the tester you tried. There's the peach and the oakmoss still front stage and a delicate layer of civet, but no stench at all.
    The other bottle I own is a younger parfum de toilette from the early 1990s and it smells spicy and peppery with a subtle bergamot. I have a tiny parfum too, not sure about the year, and it's a small velvety beauty.

A newly arrival: A PDT bottle from June 1987
    The gold pattern on the box is a good sign, I think.

Hello all,

I just purchased a vintage parfum bottle and I am wondering how those who have experience with the dab bottles, how do you apply and store? Do you decant into a spray sample bottle? It’s a sealed bottle and is light honey color. I don’t want it to go bad once I open it up. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboi View Post
    Hello all,

I just purchased a vintage parfum bottle and I am wondering how those who have experience with the dab bottles, how do you apply and store? Do you decant into a spray sample bottle? It’s a sealed bottle and is light honey color. I don’t want it to go bad once I open it up. Thank you in advance for any ideas.
    Do you mind providing a photo of the bottle? They're a marvel to look at it.

Personally I would decant splash bottles into glass decant atomizers. I prefer spraying my scents on. It be best to avoid applying directly from the splash bottle as skin contamination can degrade the fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Missing Oakmoss

Hello all,

Like N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer, I decant splash bottles into glass atomizers and spray my perfumes. I decant 10ml at a time and store both the original splash bottle and the decant in a closed perfume cabinet at room temperature - if your perfume came with a box, use the original box for storage. To minimize evaporation, make sure that the stopper on the original bottle is firmly in place (some people apply plumber's tape or Parafilm around the neck of the bottle, as well). Your beautiful fragrance will probably outlast all of us!

Do you mind providing a photo of the bottle? They're a marvel to look at it.

Personally I would decant splash bottles into glass decant atomizers. I prefer spraying my scents on. It be best to avoid applying directly from the splash bottle as skin contamination can degrade the fragrance.
    Like N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer, I decant splash bottles into glass atomizers and spray my perfumes. I decant 10ml at a time and store both the original splash bottle and the decant in a closed perfume cabinet at room temperature - if your perfume came with a box, use the original box for storage. To minimize evaporation, make sure that the stopper on the original bottle is firmly in place (some people apply plumber's tape or Parafilm around the neck of the bottle, as well). Your beautiful fragrance will probably outlast all of us!
    Thank you both for the great info. I will add a pic shortly

i keep getting the urge to try classic/vintage and mitsouko has been on my radar, so after seeking the advice of a very helpful member of the forum i sprung for a bottle of vintage mitsouko. got it off ebay it was sealed ,have to double check but i think its late 80's. it really is strong but not necessarily in projection. i dont have a problem wearing 'loud' perfumes but i couldnt wear this in public. im not very good at notes and descriptions but i find it very animalic, im thinking of big furry lion for some reason. it is a nice smell something i can appreciate with a spray on the wrist but wouldnt wear ,maybe its just not my style. i was initially going to buy a 30ml bottle but in the opted for a 7.5ml and am glad that i did so. id definitely advise to try before buying. while i was waiting for that to be delivered out of curiosity i ordered a little bottle of the modern one 5ml edt for £8. obviously not comparable in quality but they do smell alike and the edt is something i could wear though it is isnt anything special. maybe i would get on better with the edp but i havent tried that and to be honest i think ive scratched my mitsouko itch, now i seem to have a new rash developing called shalimar ...
    whats that stink?!

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    i keep getting the urge to try classic/vintage and mitsouko has been on my radar, so after seeking the advice of a very helpful member of the forum i sprung for a bottle of vintage mitsouko. got it off ebay it was sealed ,have to double check but i think its late 80's. it really is strong but not necessarily in projection. i dont have a problem wearing 'loud' perfumes but i couldnt wear this in public. im not very good at notes and descriptions but i find it very animalic, im thinking of big furry lion for some reason. it is a nice smell something i can appreciate with a spray on the wrist but wouldnt wear ,maybe its just not my style. i was initially going to buy a 30ml bottle but in the opted for a 7.5ml and am glad that i did so. id definitely advise to try before buying. while i was waiting for that to be delivered out of curiosity i ordered a little bottle of the modern one 5ml edt for £8. obviously not comparable in quality but they do smell alike and the edt is something i could wear though it is isnt anything special. maybe i would get on better with the edp but i havent tried that and to be honest i think ive scratched my mitsouko itch, now i seem to have a new rash developing called shalimar ...
    Shalimar would indeed be a nice itch to scratch next. Good thing you opted for the smaller size of Mitsouko, as it does have an unusual combination of notes and qualities.

Thank you both for the great info. I will add a pic shortly
    493C27DB-37F6-4B78-8B6E-5BDC44828D3B.jpg

Here is a picture of the bottle I purchased off eBay. From what I read it’s from 1981.

Missing Oakmoss

Ponyboi, that is gorgeous.

Ponyboi, that is gorgeous.
    Thank you! And thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I was under the impression the darker the better until I found this and used the advise to look for a good year and color of perfume.

Missing Oakmoss

Thank you! And thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I was under the impression the darker the better until I found this and used the advise to look for a good year and color of perfume.
    The color of your Mitsouko is perfect. You have a grand bottle there.

Nice bottle! Colour looks good too. For what it's worth, dark juice is usually something to avoid.

Abu - I always enjoy your smelling notes.

Ponyboi - That is a good looking bottle.

Bonnette - It's great to have a Mistsouko expert in the thread!

Sam in London - We were hoping for your smelling notes on Mouchoir de Monsieur: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...t=#post4746656